• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Pachimari

I have seen Episode I-III but only really remember Episode I and the end of Episode III. Honestly I don't remember much from the movies.

Enthus

I'm watching Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope through for the first time, and it has been quite the ride! I'm up at the point, where Luke and the rest of the rebels are boarding their planes to find and attack the small 2 meter wide spot on the Empire's base (Death Star?). I'm actually also surprised that Ben Kenobi turned out to be Obi-Wan.

But I'm gonna finish the last 20 minutes tomorrow, it's getting late here.

Here's to explore a whole universe of Star Wars, and I can't wait!

Watching the prequels first is the worst thing you could have possible done as a new person to the series.

Fj0823

I have seen Episode I-III but only really remember Episode I and the end of Episode III. Honestly I don't remember much from the movies.

Oh that's pretty cool, It´ll be interesting to hear your thought since you´re watching the series in "Chronological" order.

Have fun, Empire Strikes Back is one of my favorite movies ever

Pachimari

Watching the prequels first is the worst thing you could have possible done as a new person to the series.
The thing is, I watched them when I were a kid, and now I don't remember much of them, so I don't think it'll be all that different to me.

So now that I'm trying to catch up, I'm gonna start with IV-VI and then I-III afterward.

In fact I have such a bad memory, that I would say I'm starting from scratch.

Enthus

The thing is, I watched them when I were a kid, and now I don't remember much of them, so I don't think it'll be all that different to me.

So now that I'm trying to catch up, I'm gonna start with IV-VI and then I-III afterward.

Ah, okay. I thought you were marathoning I-VI and that wouldn't be too good.

Fj0823

No. I want to watch them in release order instead of "chronological" order. :)

The "Machete" Order is also really popular

4-5-1 (completely optional)-2-3-6

People like it because in that order 1, 2 and 3 act sort of like a "flashback" after the revelation in 5. And 6 acts as a closure for BOTH Luke's and Anakin's stories.

Rootbeer

Banned
People bring up machete a lot. It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure I'd really want someone going that route on their first time. I still think 4-5-6-1-2-3 is more ideal for first timers. it feels more fluid and consistent but could just be me.

Still, i really like the concept of it. could be worth trying for reviewings.

And seriously suggesting a new viewer should skip Ep 1 is not the way to bring more people into the fandom either. LIke it or hate it, it is a film that needs to be experienced if you are going to be a part of the greater discussions taking place. To tell anyone to skip it is not thinking very inclusively of them joining the fandom.

People bring up machete a lot. It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure I'd really want someone going that route on their first time. I still think 4-5-6-1-2-3 is more ideal for first timers. it feels more fluid and consistent but could just be me.

Still, i really like the concept of it. could be worth trying for reviewings.

And seriously suggesting a new viewer should skip Ep 1 is not the way to bring more people into the fandom either. LIke it or hate it, it is a film that needs to be experienced if you are going to be a part of the greater discussions taking place. To tell anyone to skip it is not thinking very inclusively of them joining the fandom.
Agreed about the order. Always been my preference as well.

curb

Banned
As someone who grew up on the OT and doesn't hate the PT, I prefer chronological myself but I think a first timer should probably do release order.

I finished Arkham Knight last week and I don't want to go back to Dragon Age or Witcher 3 yet so I'm watching movies in my brief spare time as a palate cleanser. I may need to throw in some Star Wars once I'm done the X-Men blu-ray set I bought (thank you Canadian
non-
deals thread). I bought the PT and OT blu-ray sets a while ago and have yet to watch RotS.

Fj0823

As someone who grew up on the OT and doesn't hate the PT, I prefer chronological myself but I think a first timer should probably do release order.

I finished Arkham Knight last week and I don't want to go back to Dragon Age or Witcher 3 yet so I'm watching movies in my brief spare time as a palate cleanser. I may need to throw in some Star Wars once I'm done the X-Men blu-ray set I bought (thank you Canadian
non-
deals thread). I bought the PT and OT blu-ray sets a while ago and have yet to watch RotS.

Are we suddenly best friends?

Also, did we warn Sayers about the crazy chronology of The Clone Wars?

UH OH...

10 minutes into Revenge and I'm wishing the whole prequel trilogy had been done in Clone Wars CGI. Fight scenes are laughable compared to the animated stuff.

curb

Banned
Also, did we warn Sayers about the crazy chronology of The Clone Wars?

Probably not. Hey Sayers, in case you didn't know, Clone Wars has some episodes out of chronological order. If that matters, there are guides online that I'm too lazy to look up :p

Sayers

Still in Season 1 and I've noticed a few things in the story so far recaps that I didn't recognize but nothing that's kept me from following the plot. I'll have to look for the episode guides.

Also, twice now Obi-Wan has said "bucket" but it sounded to me like "fucking".

Machete Order really only works as a theoretical. The films only *really* work in release order, because even though the prequels are set before the originals, they're built off that template, and consistently/constantly reference them, not just in plot, but in tone and visuals. You basically can't get everything you need to get out of the prequels without having knowledge of the originals first. Machete Order is a hypothetical way to somehow do some more of Lucas' heavy lifting to make the chronological order work, but it still doesn't. The films all build on each other, even if three of them go back in time.

Ok...the last 20 minutes of Revenge of the Sith was good. The soundtrack that plays during the closing credits..AMAZING. Now...time to watch ESB.

Fj0823

Still in Season 1 and I've noticed a few things in the story so far recaps that I didn't recognize but nothing that's kept me from following the plot. I'll have to look for the episode guides.

Also, twice now Obi-Wan has said "bucket" but it sounded to me like "fucking".

What we mean is that the series stories take jumps back and forth.

For example a character dies in episode X but appears in episode Z since episode Z takes place before X.

It can be confusing. The Clone Wars Arcs focus on their individual stories, its until late season 3 that you start getting a bit more seasonal arcs

Tapejara

I started reading Dark Disciple today. Only four chapters in, but I'm liking the basic premise - though I never did care for Quinlan Vos when he showed up in The Clone Wars. I'm not too enthralled by the adaptation, as the book - and especially some of the dialogue - reads like it would fit better in the originally intended TCW format. But like I said, I'm only on chapter four, so hopefully it improves.

When I'm done I'll probably pick up copies of A New Dawn and Heir to the Jedi to tide me over until Aftermath.

Meowster

Finished watching the Star Wars saga with the boyfriend. He swore to me that he had seen the original movies before and that he wanted to see the new ones but he never knew that Luke/Leia were twins until the end of ROTS and didn't know Luke lost his hand to Vader. He also thought Yoda and Vader had one big grizzly showdown. Pretty sure he only saw IV lmao.

His ranking:

VI
V
III
IV
I
II

Sayers

I'd be interested to hear which are considered the "bad" episodes of Clone Wars because for me those are the non-Anakin/Ahsoka episodes. It's their relationship that makes the series interesting and all the one shots about various clone troopers are just filler.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I'd be interested to hear which are considered the "bad" episodes of Clone Wars because for me those are the non-Anakin/Ahsoka episodes. It's their relationship that makes the series interesting to me and all the one shots about various clone troopers are just filler.

Every Padmé/Senate focused episode.

curb

Banned
I'd be interested to hear which are considered the "bad" episodes of Clone Wars because for me those are the non-Anakin/Ahsoka episodes. It's their relationship that makes the series interesting and all the one shots about various clone troopers are just filler.

There are some Clone Trooper episodes that I think are some of the best in the series. The Umbara arc in season four is great.

curb

Banned
I don't think every senate episode is bad but season three seems to have so many of them it drags after a while. I think Heroes on Both Sides is actually pretty great.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody here read that Dark Disciple book?

I'm reading it currently, a little over 25% through on Kindle.

I like it a lot so far. Will have to finish it of course, but so far I like it more than the other new canon novels.

Fj0823

Some clones will be your favorite characters by the end of your watch.

Mark.My.Words.

Sayers

So I'm about halfway through Season 2 and I'm really enjoying Clone Wars. Not sure why Seasons 1 & 2 are considered terrible in comparison to the rest of the series, they've been pretty great on their own merits so far.

So I'm about halfway through Season 2 and I'm really enjoying Clone Wars. Not sure why Seasons 1 & 2 are considered terrible in comparison to the rest of the series, they've been pretty great on their own merits so far.
I definitely wouldn't consider them terrible . There's a few iffy episodes here and there but that's also the case with the later seasons. The overall quantity of the show does improve though.

Pachimari

Just finished Episode IV: A New Hope.

I think this is the first time I have seen this movie all the way through, and I think it's cool how Darth Vader is still out there in his ship, while the rebels probably thinks, they got them all by blowing up the Death Star. Nice shot by Luke as well.

• I have a question though. Is the talking from Ben Kenobi supposed to be there, or is that an added effect? I don't really know how it works, with which editions have the added effects and stuff, that the originals didn't have.

I really liked, that the plot were so simple, which made it easy for me to follow. And it slowly introduces some of the core characters, and planets and back story. I really liked this one.

Some spoilers I know from the later films is:
-
That Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia are apparently siblings
-
And that Darth Vader is Luke's father

I hope I won't get other details spoiled while I'm watching these movies in the next week. But I really love the universe so far to be honest.

I think this is the first time I have seen this movie all the way through, and I think it's cool how Darth Vader is still out there in his ship, while the rebels probably thinks, they got them all by blowing up the Death Star. Nice shot by Luke as well.

• I have a question though. Is the talking from Ben Kenobi supposed to be there, or is that an added effect? I don't really know how it works, with which editions have the added effects and stuff, that the originals didn't have.

I really liked, that the plot were so simple, which made it easy for me to follow. And it slowly introduces some of the core characters, and planets and back story. I really liked this one.

-
-

I hope I won't get other details spoiled while I'm watching these movies in the next week. But I really love the universe so far to be honest.
Yep, Obi-Wan's voice has always been in the film. I'm almost jealous of you getting to experience SW for the first time.

Sayers

It's weird seeing them hint at Palpatine being Sidious in Clone Wars as if everyone and their mother didn't already know it.

EDIT: "General, a Republic ship is coming out of hyperspace behind us!"
Anakin: *TURNS AROUND TO LOOK AT THE WALL BEHIND HIM* "Obi-Wan?"

Fj0823

-
-

The new editions changes are minimal to the overall story.

Stuff like the ships being CG, and CG creatures added in some backgrounds. Were added as an aesthetic update.

Other changes are for continuity with the prequels. Nothing too major.

And then some are just Lucas tinkering with stuff just because he can. Like Greedo shooting his weapon at the same time as Han, instead of being One-Shotted.

Some fans dislike these changes, I personally don't mind them. I even like several of the changes.

But no matter what edition you're watching the overall story is absolutely the same.

I'm reading it currently, a little over 25% through on Kindle.

I like it a lot so far. Will have to finish it of course, but so far I like it more than the other new canon novels.

Based on this one small description I bought the book. Read the first 8 chapters and really like it so far. Prequel era stuff can be really cool as long as it isn't Lucas doing the writing.

Also, I might be the easiest sell ever. I really hope no one approaches me with Dianetics with a good pitch....

GAMEPROFF

Banned

-
-

Obi Wan is speaking to Luke through the force.

Pachimari

Just finished Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, and yup, this was the first time I had seen it. I think that the first half of the movie were stronger than the last half. I really loved the planet of Hoth, and the atmosphere they played with in the start. Might actually be my favorite planet so far. I like that they got to introduce Yoda, but man does he seem creepy.

I were shocked, that Luke got his arm cut up, but I'm disappointed he got a robot arm right after, just like that. Wonder if it'll have any special use in Episode VI. The "Luke, I am your father" I already knew about so it didn't have any shock effect, but there were plenty of small things throughout the film that surprised me.

Chewie is growing a little on me, and so is C3PO.

The one thing that is mostly a mystery to me is Han Solo's freezing. I see he is still alive, but is he just frozen down or what is that deal about?

Also, I liked The Empire Strikes Back more than A New Hope I think, but not by much.

Just finished Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, and yup, this was the first time I had seen it. I think that the first half of the movie were stronger than the last half. I really loved the planet of Hoth, and the atmosphere they played with in the start. Might actually be my favorite planet so far. I like that they got to introduce Yoda, but man does he seem creepy.

I were shocked, that Luke got his arm cut up, but I'm disappointed he got a robot arm right after, just like that. Wonder if it'll have any special use in Episode VI. The "Luke, I am your father" I already knew about so it didn't have any shock effect, but there were plenty of small things throughout the film that surprised me.

Chewie is growing a little on me, and so is C3PO.

The one thing that is mostly a mystery to me is Han Solo's freezing. I see he is still alive, but is he just frozen down or what is that deal about?

Also, I liked The Empire Strikes Back more than A New Hope I think, but not by much.
The carbon freezing was actually used for industrial purposes normally but to ensure Vader could easily transport Luke to the Emperor, he decided on freezing him in carbonite. There was no guarentee he'd survive so he tested it on Han first. Once you're frozen in the stuff, it's basically like being in a coma until you're thawed out. There can be a few short term side effects...

MattyG

Banned
It's official.

A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are the only live action films that i enjoy more than the Clone Wars series.
I've gotta start watching it again. I'm still in season 1, but I need to finish it so I can read Son of Dathomir and Dark Disciple.

Pachimari

The carbon freezing was actually used for industrial purposes normally but to ensure Vader could easily transport Luke to the Emperor, he decided on freezing him in carbonite. There was no guarentee he'd survive so he tested it on Han first. Once you're frozen in the stuff, it's basically like being in a coma until you're thawed out. There can be a few short term side effects...

Oh alright, thank you for the explanation.

I started Episode VI: Return of the Jedi and is half an hour into it. I see Han Solo can't see, at least for a short while, but generally, I'm not feeling this movie so far. I don't like Jabba's crew, and it's definitely a weaker start compared to A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. I'll finish the movie tonight.

I started Episode VI: Return of the Jedi and is half an hour into it. I see Han Solo can't see, at least for a short while, but generally, I'm not feeling this movie so far. I don't like Jabba's crew, and it's definitely a weaker start compared to A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. I'll finish the movie tonight.
I think the majority of SW fans would probably say it's the weakest of the Original trilogy but I always find there's quite a lot to love about it as well. A lot of the cast weren't really happy with it either.

MattyG

Banned

If by Jabba's crew you mean the band in his palace, there's a reason you aren't feeling them. Lucas replaced the original (good) puppet band with a horrible, jarring CG version and an awful new song. It's one of the worst changes he made (alongside the farting frog or whatever).

Empire is better, but I still love Jedi.

Fj0823

Return is one of the weakest movies for me.
Still pretty enjoyable though

Pachimari

Am I understanding this correctly, that Endor is the name of the forest moon, which gives energy to the shield protecting the new Death Star?

Top Bottom