• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Pachimari

Alright, so I think I understand everything so far but the Empire's fleet.

The Return of the Jedi got better as it progressed really. Though, I found the mission on Endor close to boring but understand why they wanted to show all three parts of the attack. Ioved the scenery on Endor though, which is probably my favorite of all of the planets/moons yet.

Having finished the original trilogy, I rank them pretty confidentially like this:

01. Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
02. Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope
03. Star Wars: Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi

I'm gonna watch Episode I right after I have finished the laundry. :)

Alright, so I think I understand everything so far but the Empire's fleet.

The Return of the Jedi got better as it progressed really. Though, I found the mission on Endor close to boring but understand why they wanted to show all three parts of the attack. Ioved the scenery on Endor though, which is probably my favorite of all of the planets/moons yet.

Having finished the original trilogy, I rank them pretty confidentially like this:

01. Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
02. Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope
03. Star Wars: Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi

I'm gonna watch Episode I right after I have finished the laundry. :)

Harrison Ford's main problem with Return of the Jedi was that he felt Lucas didn't give Han anything to do - he felt that Han should die in Return of the Jedi so he'd have more of an impact on the story.

I'd agree with your ranking as well.

Pachimari

I think Han had plenty to do infiltrating that base, and then getting into that trap. Anyway, to add some other thoughts; going in, I thought they would make more use of the force, and that Darth Vader and especially the Emperor would be showcased as more powerful. I were actually surprised to see, that there were still a little bit of good inside Anakin.

I also thought the ending shots, with Darth Vader's funeral and the different planets celebrating their freedom were beautiful (and some of the cuts from planet to planet were nice, while other cuts were more rough).

I think Han had plenty to do infiltrating that base, and then getting into that trap. Anyway, to add some other thoughts; going in, I thought they would make more use of the force, and that Darth Vader and especially the Emperor would be showcased as more powerful. I were actually surprised to see, that there were still a little bit of good inside Anakin.

I also thought the ending shots, with Darth Vader's funeral and the different planets celebrating their freedom were beautiful (and some of the cuts from planet to planet were nice, while other cuts were more rough).

A bunch of cuts to different planets were added, and they changed the ending song as well. You didn't get to experience the joy of 'Yub Nub'

Sayers

Interesting that people who have never seen the movies before are able to notice oddities and things that look out of place which are inevitably the result of Lucas' constant tinkering. Just goes to show that all of the "enhancements" are really nothing of the sort.

Am I understanding this correctly, that Endor is the name of the forest moon, which gives energy to the shield protecting the new Death Star?

Endor is the planet, specifically a gas giant, they are on it's forest moon. The forest moon has an imperial outpost that provides an energy shield that protects the Death Star II

Pachimari

Oh so Endor is a planet, which is housing the gas on its forest moon, that powers the shield?

And with that, I just finished Episode I: The Phantom Menace. I have to sleep on it and collect my mind, but just quick thoughts are, that the CGI generally looks very nice, but also very weak in spots (the large green area where the battle between the Gungas and droids take place).

I had no problem with the boy playing Anakin Skywalker, and Darth Maul remains my favorite Sith I think. He's just all kinds of badass in fights. And talking about fights, the lightsaber fights looks so much cooler here.

I really liked Jar Jar Binks in the first hour and didn't have a problem with him, but towards the last half an hour to an hour, the comic relief became too much. It just went on to be too much really. The podracing were thrilling and at times intense, but by the third lap, it also felt like this segment dragged.

Actually, I'm not sure I understand the start and setup of The Phantom Menace, but I'll get around to the story tomorrow. Got to sleep on that.

A bunch of cuts to different planets were added, and they changed the ending song as well. You didn't get to experience the joy of 'Yub Nub'
I'm sad about this. Is Yub Nub a track? I should really watch the unedited versions some day.

I should really watch the unedited versions some day.

You really should. They are much better. A lot of the effects even hold up
although that might be nostalgia talking
I have the De-Specialized editions and they are great. So do yourself a favor and track them down. Jedi is vastly better.

Fj0823

Oh so Endor is a planet, which is housing the gas on its forest moon, that powers the shield?

And with that, I just finished Episode I: The Phantom Menace. I have to sleep on it and collect my mind, but just quick thoughts are, that the CGI generally looks very nice, but also very weak in spots (the large green area where the battle between the Gungas and droids take place).

I had no problem with the boy playing Anakin Skywalker, and Darth Maul remains my favorite Sith I think. He's just all kinds of badass in fights. And talking about fights, the lightsaber fights looks so much cooler here.

I really liked Jar Jar Binks in the first hour and didn't have a problem with him, but towards the last half an hour to an hour, the comic relief became too much. It just went on to be too much really. The podracing were thrilling and at times intense, but by the third lap, it also felt like this segment dragged.

Actually, I'm not sure I understand the start and setup of The Phantom Menace, but I'll get around to the story tomorrow. Got to sleep on that.

I'm sad about this. Is Yub Nub a track? I should really watch the unedited versions some day.

My sentiments exactly regarding the phantom menace.

Also Yub Nub is nowhere near as good as Victory Celebration in my opinion. Its cute, but not "series finale" goodness like celebration.

Sayers

This Clone Wars show is doing a much better job of setting up Anakin's eventual fall than the movies ever did. The prequels just made him seem like a teenager throwing a huge tantrum.

MattyG

Banned
Endor is the planet, specifically a gas giant, they are on it's forest moon. The forest moon has an imperial outpost that provides an energy shield that protects the Death Star II
Is this still canon? If I recall correct, the gas giant itself was only mentioned and seen in legends material. It makes complete sense that it would exist, but I'm curious as to Lucasfilm's official stance on its existence.

This Clone Wars show is doing a much better job of setting up Anakin's eventual fall than the movies ever did. The prequels just made him seem like a teenager throwing a huge tantrum.

Well, you're also comparing a few 2-hour films with limited amounts of time to dedicate to Anakin against a TV series that went on for five seasons. Way more time in the latter to show Anakin's fall.

Whelp. Happy you enjoyed it.

Personally I disagree with everything I made bold.

Is this still canon? If I recall correct, the gas giant itself was only mentioned and seen in legends material. It makes complete sense that it would exist, but I'm curious as to Lucasfilm's official stance on its existence.

I mean, they call it the forest moon of Endor, as opposed to the forest moon Endor. The Emperor refers to it as the sanctuary moon. Regardless of what it orbits, the planet is called Endor not the moon itself. It's just easier to call it Endor because the Forest Moon of Endor is a mouthful.

Interesting that people who have never seen the movies before are able to notice oddities and things that look out of place which are inevitably the result of Lucas' constant tinkering. Just goes to show that all of the "enhancements" are really nothing of the sort.

Well he got the Rancor compositing drastically improved.

Moff

the forest moon's name is an odd issue
it does seem it has no name, they call it either the forest moon of endor or the sanctuary moon, which seems to refer to some preserve area.
but if that's the case why not just call it endor IV or whatever like with yavin IV.

It's one of the main reasons I think the prequel trilogy would have benefitted from three films with an adult Anakin instead of two.

But as Freeza said they had much more time to show hints of Anakin's downfall in the Clone Wars.

Rootbeer

Banned
Ultimate Star Wars, the only official canon SW sourcebook to-date, still calls it the Forest Moon of Endor but makes no mention of anything else about what it is orbiting. it does state that the second Death Star is roughly 3% the size of said moon though.

The new canon is very young; might take them a while to get around to detailing more about this. Maybe it will be brought up some of this year's post-RotJ novels & comics.

While looking this up I learned that Yazzum are native to Endor's forest moon.

Yowza_Jedi_Rocks.png

So for all you haters out there of that Jedi Rocks sequence... you have more reasons to hate Endor than you might have originally.

curb

Banned
It's one of the main reasons I think the prequel trilogy would have benefitted from three films with an adult Anakin instead of two.

I give Clone Wars 100% of the credit for turning around my opinion of RotS. Despite the sand people thing in AotC, Anakin's transition to the dark side in RotS on its own still seems so abrupt. Clone Wars gives it a lot more foundation.

Pachimari

Im on mobile right now and for the next two days I'm out. So excuse any misspellings. I also won't to get to watch more until Thursday.

Thinking about The Phantom Menace, what was the setup? I got all used to the Rebels vs Empire. But in the new trilogy it is about the trade routes getting blocked, so that Naboo can't do any deals?

So they go to the and vote for a new senator, that will stop the blockade?

Who blocked them? And was it because they wanted control of Naboo?

Fj0823

Im on mobile right now and for the next two days I'm out. So excuse any misspellings. I also won't to get to watch more until Thursday.

Thinking about The Phantom Menace, what was the setup? I got all used to the Rebels vs Empire. But in the new trilogy it is about the trade routes getting blocked, so that Naboo can't do any deals?

Yup, Naboo couldnt buy or sell anything, they had few resources these way, people were suffering/starving.

It was the Trade Federation, under Darth Sidious orders.
His goal was to force the queen to act against the current Republic Chancellor forcing the senate to elect a new one.

The Trade federation Itself did want control over Naboo though

Cheebo

Banned

Palpatine was the Senator from Naboo. Palpatine was putting the pieces in place to ensure he could become Emperor.

First step needed was to become Supreme Chancellor. Under his Darth Sidious persona he convinced the Trade Federation to blockade Naboo. This was to cause doubt in the current Supreme Chancellor to get him to be voted out and create sympathy for himself to get voted in.

As well as put the pieces in place to get the Trade Federation to secede so he can get his plans for eventual civil war with the Separatists because what is the best way to gain extra control and power within a democracy? Lead it during war time.

Everything in the prequels was one big chess game being played by Palpatine, all vital moves he made to ensure him being declared Emperor without having to over-throw the government by force and thus ideally result in little to no opposition when the time came.

Pachimari

Why would Darth Sidious want a new senator though?

Feel like this one is more complicated for me personally to understand, than the three films before it. Though I did like the movie.

Cheebo

Banned
Who said he wanted a new senator? Not sure why you keep mentioning that. He was already the senator. He wanted a new supreme chancellor, so he himself could run and hopefully win the election for Supreme Chancellor.

He wanted a new supreme chancellor so he himself could run for the position with the added benefit of being the senator from the planet under the blockade to create a sympathy vote factor for himself.

The purpose for the blockade was:
- Create doubt/anger in the senate in the current Supreme Chancellor Valorum so they would call for a new election

-Utilize the blockade that he himself put in place as Sidious (remember Palpatine and Sidious are the same person) to create attention for himself and sympathy for him so he can run and win the election for Supreme Chancellor.

Fj0823

Feel like this one is more complicated for me personally to understand, than the three films before it. Though I did like the movie.

Its part of his plan
)Palpatine IS Darth Sidious, he played the Queen to become the top ruler of the republic)

If he controls the Senate, he can do whatever he wants with the republic, as long as he fools the people into thinking he is doing good for them, which is pretty much what´ll happen in the next films.

I Hope you enjoy Attack of the Clones, for me is the most boring film of the series by a HUGE margin, however it has some really great moments

Pachimari

So Darth Sidious is actually Palpatine (were this revealed in Episode I? I don't seem to recollect that). So he were under disguise as Palpatine so it looked like he were the senator of Naboo, and thus getting sympathy when he runs for Supreme Chancellor?

I think I should watch this movie again.

So Darth Sidious is actually Palpatine (were this revealed in Episode I? I don't seem to recollect that). So he were under disguise as Palpatine so it looked like he were the senator of Naboo, and thus getting sympathy when he runs for Supreme Chancellor?

I don't recall it being explicitly said but he's played by Ian McDiarmid who played him in the original trilogy and he favoured the black robe with hood back then as well.

Cheebo

Banned

I think I should watch this movie again.
He wasn't in disguise as the senator. He was the senator. pAlpatine is who he was born and raised as. He got into politics and was elected as senator. Darth Sidious is his sith persona.

In essence Darth Sidious is Batman and Palpatine is Brice Wayne.

I mean you didn't catch when Mace wondered who the second sith was and it panned over to the grinning Palpatine?

Fj0823

It isn´t. Just very very heavily foreshadowed, we just kinda spoiled you.

But yes that's about the gist of it. He created the entire conflict to get himself the Chancellor chair.

From here on out, it´s all about getting more and more political power until he can create an Empire with little oposition.

Cheebo

Banned
I would not call it a spoiler. It's pretty obvious from Episode I. I posted at Star Wars message boards back in 1999 and outside of some oddballs who theorized that Sidious was a clone of Palpatine virtually everyone else accepted it as a fact they were one and the same from day one.

Moff

for someone who watches these films for the first time in 2015 I think it's quite possible to not understand that palpatine is sidious, I dare say most movie watchers didn't understand that back in '99.
and no, it was not officially revealed in episode 1, that reveal is in episode 3, but it's damn obvious for everyone in episode 2 and of course everyone who is interested a little bit in star wars knew it already in episode 1. not only because it's the same actor as in ROTJ.

Cheebo

Banned
for someone who watches these films for the first time in 2015 I think it's quite possible to not understand that palpatine is sidious, I dare say most movie watchers didn't understand that back in '99.
and no, it was not officially revealed in episode 1, that reveal is in episode 3, but it's damn obvious for everyone in episode 2 and of course everyone who is interested a little bit in star wars knew it already in episode 1. not only because it's the same actor as in ROTJ.
It doesn't hurt that in episode one McDiarmid is very clearly playing both Sidious and Palpatine

Moff

It doesn't hurt that in episode one McDiarmid is very clearly playing both Sidious and Palpatine

is it really that clear? it maybe hard for me to judge that since it was always clear to me, because of the actor and the name (palpatines name was never mentioned in the OT, only the novels)
but he speaks with a different voice and wears a hood as sidious. I am not surprised people don't get it and I think it's intended that way, they could just have shown his face like in ROTJ after all.
and most people who are not hardcore fans, so about 99.9% of the audience simply don't pay that much attention, expecially since senator palpatine is only a small side character.

Pachimari

Reading all of this, just one small detail I need to be sure of. Darth Sidiois is in the original trilogy as well? If so, is he the Emperor in those?

Cheebo

Banned
Reading all of this, just one small detail I need to be sure of. Darth Sidiois is in the original trilogy as well? If so, is he the Emperor in those?
Darth Sidious is Senator Palpatine who becomes Emepror in Revenge of the Sith.

All the same character. All the same actor Palpatine is the villain of the entire 6 film Saga up until this point.

All 3 of the below pictures are of the same character (and same actor):
200px-Young-palpatine.jpg

2237554-darth_sidious.jpg

250px-Emperor_RotJ.png

Fj0823

Darth Sidious is Senator Palpatine who becomes Emepror in Revenge of the Sith.

All the same character. All the same actor Palpatine is the villain of the entire 6 film Saga up until this point.

All 3 of the below pictures are of the same character (and same actor):
200px-Young-palpatine.jpg

2237554-darth_sidious.jpg

250px-Emperor_RotJ.png

His chin is easily recognizable lol

Cheebo

Banned
This topic has just made me think about how odd it is going to be to have Palpatine NOT be the main villian of The Force Awakens.

Every piece of on screen canon media we have had so far be it the prequels, the original trilogy, the clone wars, and rebels all have had Palpatine as the main overall villain whether is be up front or behind the scenes Palpatine has always been the big bad.

Pachimari

Oh wait wow! It is that guy! So he actually succeeded in becoming the Supreme Chancellor. I'm a little shocked. I definitely got to rewatch the movie.

I didn't catch the whole Darth Sidious plot.

This topic has just made me think about how odd it is going to be to have Palpatine NOT be the main villian of The Force Awakens.

Every piece of on screen canon media we have had so far be it the prequels, the original trilogy, the clone wars, and rebels all have had Palpatine as the main overall villain whether is be up front or behind the scenes Palpatine has always been the big bad.
I thought about this as well. Wonder if they're gonna build up something entirely new.

Moff

I still hope that palpatine plays a role in the sequels (not necessarily TFA), it is about past sith lords after all and sidious was one of the if not the strongest of them. and Ian McDiarmid is awesome.

Fj0823

Oh wait wow! It is that guy! So he actually succeeded in becoming the Supreme Chancellor. I'm a little shocked. I definitely got to rewatch the movie.

I didn't catch the whole Darth Sidious plot.

I thought about this as well. Wonder if they're gonna build up something entirely new.

Yeah, Padmé mentions him winning the election when they celebrate on Naboo

"Congratulations on your election as Supreme Chancellor"
Palpatine: *Some modest BS* Then he goes to Anakin and says "We´ll follow your Jedi career very closely" *shit eating grin*

I still hope that palpatine plays a role in the sequels (not necessarily TFA), it is about past sith lords after all and sidious was one of the if not the strongest of them. and Ian McDiarmid is awesome.

I just hope we can ignore the entire "Resurrection"....seriously, stay non canon

Moff

How can Palpatine play a role if he is dead? Through the Force?

well there were comics with clones, but I hate clones. luckily they are not canon.
the force awakens deals with
a collector of sith artifacts, and we have seen yoda communicating with a "ghost" of an ancient sith lord in the clone wars tv show, so it's not too far fetched to have palpatine involved somehow

Fj0823

well there were comics with clones, but I hate clones. luckily they are not canon.
the force awakens deals with
a collector of sith artifacts, and we have seen yoda communicating with a "ghost" of an ancient sith lord in the clone wars tv show, so it's not too far fetched to have palpatine involved somehow

Is it confirmed he
Collects Sith Lord Artifacts?
the trailer made it seem he was just
Obsessed with Vader alone

Personally I hope Palpatine is nowhere near the sequel trilogy. He was a great villain but with a new chapter in the Star Wars saga, I hope they stick with new villains. I never enjoyed the Palpatine clones in the old EU.

curb

Banned
Personally I hope Palpatine is nowhere near the sequel trilogy. He was a great villain but with a new chapter in the Star Wars saga, I hope they stick with new villains. I never enjoyed the Palpatine clones in the old EU.

As far as the new movies go, this sounds like what you do when you've run out of ideas.

Top Bottom