• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

TrueBlue

Does that include the movie?

Also, has anyone read Lords of the Sith? The focus on Vader and Palpatine interests me, so I'm curious to hear any impressions.

Sayers

I didn't think the movie was all that bad. It is probably the weakest part of the overall Clone Wars series but it wasn't aggressively awful either. It served its purpose of introducing us to Ahsoka well enough.

Also, has anyone read Lords of the Sith? The focus on Vader and Palpatine interests me, so I'm curious to hear any impressions.

The book takes forever to get to the story that's advertised on the jacket/in summaries, the writer has a pretty repetitive style, there are a handful of minor erros that I feel like the editor really should have caught, and overall it doesn't seemingly have much of an impact on the Star Wars universe. At all.

All that said, there are some pretty boss moments with Vader and Palpatine. If that's what really interests you, you can probably plow through it pretty quickly if you want.

Gravidee

Lords of the Sith is notable for one reason alone: The legendary Sixes!

tumblr_nnkntgdbl11tcppaco1_1280.png

Fj0823

Wait a minute, If he is CC-6666 shouldn't he be a Clone COMMANDER? :p

I didn't think the movie was all that bad. It is probably the weakest part of the overall Clone Wars series but it wasn't aggressively awful either. It served its purpose of introducing us to Ahsoka well enough.

You have to remember lots of people PAID to watch this on theaters, so it's understandable that they felt it was terrible

sphagnum

Banned

I preferred the first half to the second half. The big spectacular sequence involving a Star Destroyer is really well done but I felt like the second half dragged on forever. I thought the focus on the other characters was more interesting than Sheev x Vader's survival camping trip, but other people were disappointed that it takes so long to get to that point whereas I felt like that was the point where it declined in quality.

Has some nice characterization though and ties in with both TCW and Rebels. And Sixes!

Tapejara

I need to get back into reading Dark Disciple.

Does that include the movie?

The book takes forever to get to the story that's advertised on the jacket/in summaries, the writer has a pretty repetitive style, there are a handful of minor erros that I feel like the editor really should have caught, and overall it doesn't seemingly have much of an impact on the Star Wars universe. At all.

All that said, there are some pretty boss moments with Vader and Palpatine. If that's what really interests you, you can probably plow through it pretty quickly if you want.

This is my opinion as well. The actual moments with Vader and Palpatine are great, but everything else kind of falls flat.

Fj0823

And so, my journey to teach my girlfriend about the ways of the force has finally ended, she is ready for the trials, these are her impressions of "Return of the Jedi"

First off, Jabba is disgusting.

Twi'Leks are hot, her words, not mine.

She was hyped beyond her mind when Luke catched his new green saber and started being all Jedi on those fuckers.

She quite liked Luke being all confident as a Jedi, She actually teared up a bit when Yoda passed away saying "He was a true hero!".

Then...the Ewoks came in and she got quite bored...she said they had way too much screen time and once again got annoyed at all the Luke/Vader parts being interrupted...by Ewoks. She also complained that the Ewoks made the cool-looking Stoormtroopers into the lamest losers ever.

She got a better Opinion on Leia after this movie since her ego is toned down quite a bit. 3PO too as his comic relief actually worked thi time and his complaining was toned down.

Then hyped to MAX again when Luke and Vader had their final showdown. When the Emperor is zapping luke I could hear her whisper "C'mon Vader it's your son, c'mon you know what's right"

When Vader throws the emperor she started laughing, I was afraid she thought the moment was silly-looking and asked, she replied "I',m laughing becuase I was tense!, that was so fucking awesome"

She then cried at the end when Christensen shows up, "OMG! Anakin!!!, AWWWWW"

And when the credits roll, she said "That was sad", I ask "You thought the ending was sad?" and she replies "No...I´m just sad it's over, that was pretty great"

So I give her one last surprise, ask her to go look for some drinks, and when she comes back the TV is playing Ep VII's teaser. "What's that?", "Just Watch", "That sounds like....no,no, NO, are you kidding me!? OMG"

We'll be there together, day 1. :D

She says the saga is awesome, but feels this movie could've been a lot better, so despite how much she loved the start and finale, the ewok focus took lots of points for her.

Final List: 3>4>5>2>6>1,
kinda different from my 5>3>4>1=6>>>>2.
Her favorite characters: Luke and Padme, with Yoda being the third one.
Most hated character: C3PO.

This was quite a ride, and I gotta say, having someone beside you being all hyped and interested makes even the worst movie (Ep 2 for me) a blast.

Hope we can also enjoy VII together just like this.

sphagnum

Banned
Thanks for those posts, they were very interesting. I always enjoy seeing posts about people's first reactions to Star Wars
especially when it's shown to them 1 - 6 and demonstrates that you can start people off with the prequels just fine when they're not hindered by previous love for the OT

Fj0823

Hey man, Aayla Secura is a babe.

You going to try to get her to watch Clone Wars now?

Was* :(

I don´t want to burn her out. Maybe later next week. She does seem interested in Rebels as she's mad she never got to see the fallout after Order 66

A few interesting extracts from EW's interview with Simon Kinberg on his role.

Along with writers Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3) and screenwriting legend Lawrence Kasdan, Kinberg spent a week at Skywalker Ranch working on the structure for the next trilogy and standalone spin-offs. “Like a TV writers room, we spent a week with a whiteboard and some pens and were in a conference room all day talking about [movies] VII, VIII, and IX,” he says. “But it’s a whiteboard covered in our notes. We had a sense of what we each wanted to write. It was the most magical time because we were writing Star Wars movies."

While on IMDb he’s listed as a “consultant,” Kinberg says he considers his role in Wars as, “I’m like a friend of the court. I consult on the movies. I worked on VII: helped break the story, read scripts, drafts at certain points, and gave my thoughts whatever they were worth.”

Kinberg is writing his own standalone Star Wars movie that’s due in 2018.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/04/simon-kinberg-star-wars-plots

Gravidee

Was* :(

I don´t want to burn her out. Maybe later next week. She does seem interested in Rebels as she's mad she never got to see the fallout after Order 66

Showing TCW is a good idea too, as she'll get to see that the clones were unique individuals too, and really had no choice when it came to order 66. Does she think the order was something that every clone knew about or that it was pre-programmed from within?

Fj0823

Showing TCW is a good idea too, as she'll get to see that the clones were unique individuals too, and really had no choice when it came to order 66. Does she think the order was something that every clone knew about or that it was pre-programmed from within?

She understands the emperor made the clones in secret for Order 66. But I think she believes the clones are just like droids just following orders.

The Clone Wars might be good for her to learn the entire story. Not to mention it REALLY makes the Anakin/Obi-Wan fallout and Order 66 much more devastating. I really like this quote on the matter

She found it on CN when it was aired but never payed attention to it, during ep 2 she asked me "Is that the red chick from TV?" as she mistook Shaak´Ti for Ahsoka.

I think the focus on the clones might get her attention.She really loved stormtrooper look, but by episode 6, she thought they were lame compared to the Clones
She send me this gifs today and said "It's the definition of a Downgrade"

tumblr_nfz6zuKhOI1tulf80o5_400.gif

Vs
tumblr_nr4pt3p7L81teuex7o2_400.gif

Sayers

So are you trying to give her the lore explanations for these things or are you just being honest and saying "Look, they wanted to sell some fucking toys".

Fj0823

So are you trying to give her the lore explanations for these things or are you just being honest and saying "Look, they wanted to sell some fucking toys".

Bit of both. I explained Clones=/=Troopers,how Leia could "remember" Padme, How Luke got so good so fast, how Luke made another lightsaber, and stuff like that.

But when she asked about adding Ewoks, or Jar Jar, 3PO etc. I always replied with "marketing".

I don't know if I should tell her about "Droids" and "Ewoks", shell be fucking angry those characters were the ones with a series lol

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Bit of both. I explained Clones=/=Troopers,how Leia could "remember" Padme, How Luke got so good so fast, how Luke made another lightsaber, and stuff like that.

But when she asked about adding Ewoks, or Jar Jar, 3PO etc. I always replied with "marketing".

I don't know if I should tell her about "Droids" and "Ewoks", shell be fucking angry those characters were the ones with a series lol

3PO wasn't added as "marketing" -- he and Artoo are classic character archetypes, based in part on the two bumbling fools from Akira Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress" and in part on comedy teams like Laurel & Hardy. I don't think Lucas had marketing in mind when he created the characters. I think that came later.

Fj0823

3PO wasn't added as "marketing" -- he and Artoo are classic character archetypes, based in part on the two bumbling fools from Akira Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress" and in part on comedy teams like Laurel & Hardy. I don't think Lucas had marketing in mind when he created the characters. I think that came later.

Yes of course, but hey, I wasn't going to explain all that in the middle of ESB!! I was enjoying the film :p

curb

Banned
No mention of midichlorians in The Force Awakens according to JJ.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/jj-abrams-promises-no-midi-chlorians-in-star-125851723532.html

And because of some shitty reporting people in OT now people think JJ isn't treating the prequel trilogy as canon, which he never said. *sigh*

Man, that thread is a mess. So much ignoring facts because a misquote gives them what they want to hear.

Sometimes I wish I could add threads to an Ignore list because I don't ever want to click on that one again but part of me just can't resist that trainwreck.

Fj0823

Man, that thread is a mess. So much ignoring facts because a misquote gives them what they want to hear.

Sometimes I wish I could add threads to an Ignore list because I don't ever want to click on that one again but part of me just can't resist that trainwreck.

That was a disgusting read.
Whoever wrote that article should be ashamed.

Ill just sit back and enjoy when TFA "ruins everything" when it tries to expand the lore even a little bit.

munchie64

Thanks for those posts, they were very interesting. I always enjoy seeing posts about people's first reactions to Star Wars
especially when it's shown to them 1 - 6 and demonstrates that you can start people off with the prequels just fine when they're not hindered by previous love for the OT
Nothing to do with prequel hate. It's just in continuing story franchises, watching sequels before the originals is dumb.
Edit: Assuming you intend to watch all of them of course. I'm sure in the future there'll be people who just watch the sequel trilogy and I'll have no problem with that.

Fj0823

Nothing to do with prequel hate. It's just in continuing story franchises, watching sequels before the originals is dumb.
Edit: Assuming you intend to watch all of them of course. I'm sure in the future there'll be people who just watch the sequel trilogy and I'll have no problem with that.

I agree that the best order is Originals>Prequels>Sequels

But as I explained, we were just watching TV together, and Ep I came up. She always avoided the movies so I begged her to watch it with me.

After It just seemed right to let her finish the story she started, as she was very interested in Padme, Anakin going evil, etc.

I was curious about the "Chronological order for your very first viewing" angle. So I gave it a shot .It was a fun experiment with really interesting results. As you can see in my posts

munchie64

I agree that the best order is Originals>Prequels>Sequels

But as I explained, we were just watching TV together, and Ep I came up. She always avoided the movies so I begged her to watch it with me.

After It just seemed right to let her finish the story she started, as she was very interested in Padme, Anakin going evil, etc.

I was curious about the "Chronological order for your very first viewing" angle. So I gave it a shot .It was a fun experiment with really interesting results. As you can see in my posts
Ah that's understandable. Not trying to limit how anyone watches anything, I liked your write ups.

Fj0823

Steel book BD collection anounced....I WANT THIS!

starwarssteelbooks.jpg

Why only 1 hero though? Should've been Jango in ep II

EDIT: Seems all movies have been rebranded "STAR WARS: Title" to match with TFA. Good move.

Meowster

Have you guys been keeping up with this every Friday? They just got to Empire Strikes Back. Can't read it worth a damn but the artwork is so gorgeous.

Rootbeer

Banned
I found my first piece of The Force Awakens merch today at Target. I didn't buy it, since I'm not interested in this particular product... but start keeping your eyes open. Looks like some products are slipping onto shelves before Sept 4th.

For Clone Wars watchers on Netflix:

If you have Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, get the Netflix app in the WIndows store.

Under Windows 10, I was having trouble getting the highest bitrate playback. Even in IE 11 and Edge the bitrate was not going above 1600. But in the official app it goes up to 3000. Best if you want the maximum HD experience.

To see the bitrate, press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+S during a video, you'll see a list of bitrates (it autoswitches between them depending on bandwidth, congestion, etc.), The highest # is the max available to you based on the factors at play. Clone Wars should be 3000 for all episodes, I think. At least it's the most I've seen so far.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I found my first piece of The Force Awakens merch today at Target. I didn't buy it, since I'm not interested in this particular product... but start keeping your eyes open. Looks like some products are slipping onto shelves before Sept 4th.

For Clone Wars watchers on Netflix:

If you have Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, get the Netflix app in the WIndows store.

Under Windows 10, I was having trouble getting the highest bitrate playback. Even in IE 11 and Edge the bitrate was not going above 1600. But in the official app it goes up to 3000. Best if you want the maximum HD experience.

To see the bitrate, press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+S during a video, you'll see a list of bitrates (it autoswitches between them depending on bandwidth, congestion, etc.), The highest # is the max available to you based on the factors at play. Clone Wars should be 3000 for all episodes, I think. At least it's the most I've seen so far.

Zulith pls

You of all people shouldn't be passing on any TFA merch!

Apparently Vader's getting a figure in TFA line. Wonder if he'll have the burnt helmet as an accessory. Those steelbooks look nice but Sheev definitely has a resemblance to Caesar. SITH TOGETHER...STRONG.

Fj0823

Apparently Vader's getting a figure in TFA line. Wonder if he'll have the burnt helmet as an accessory. Those steelbooks look nice but Sheev definitely has a resemblance to Caesar. SITH TOGETHER...STRONG.

Well if the rumor's are true Vader's
Legacy is one of the main driving forces of
of the movie.

So it'd make sense to include him.

Also, LOL at Yoda randomly showing up in TFA merchandise :p

Top Bottom