• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

MattyG

Banned
Just watched the TFA Disney Infinity 3.0 reveal. Goddamn, why is this new cast so likeable. I want to hang out with them.

And now I'm watching the teasers again. Every couple of weeks I kind of forget that TFA is a real thing that's actually happening and that we actually have footage.
Watching the teasers is still kind of surreal (and that music makes me tear up every time).

Definitely not weird. My age has never stopped me before and won't this time either. :)
Shit... you just destroyed the one psychological wall preventing me from draining my bank account for Star Wars toys.

9UJcYyI.jpg

MattyG

Banned
Yikes. Lords of the Sith was one of the books I was anticipating most and it's already not as great as I'd hoped. A few pages in and we've already had a few very forced references and quotes to the RotS. Like, they make sense, but "Yoda once told him that anger led to hate and hate led to suffering"? Come on. Tarkin was great because it referenced things without just going "REMEMBER THIS?"

Hopefully it's just Kemp dumping stuff like that in the beginning to get the reader settled in, because I love the concept.

I did kind of like the
Hera
name drop though.

Edit: Okay, Vader is being pretty badass in this. Dude just
bailed out of his ETA, used it as a missile to take out a gun and blow a hole in the hull of the enemy's ship, and then pulled himself with the Force through the vacuum of space and into the ship.
Yes.

B-Dex

Just realized I haven't watched my Star Wars Blu-Rays. Ever. The set before Disney bought Lucas.

The hype for force awakens is getting to me. I should marathon it. Even the prequels.

Man, that Star Wars director discussion is so sad to read.

People are genuinely sure IX will suck

I am more optimistic. I loved his first film, while with his second film, I really enjoyed it despite the problems I had with the plot. I would rather wait to see the movie when it comes out than to fully judge it based off the director.

Hell, I am excited for Rogue One despite not liking Godzilla. I did enjoy Monsters though.

sphagnum

Banned
Yikes. Lords of the Sith was one of the books I was anticipating most and it's already not as great as I'd hoped. A few pages in and we've already had a few very forced references and quotes to the RotS. Like, they make sense, but "Yoda once told him that anger led to hate and hate led to suffering"? Come on. Tarkin was great because it referenced things without just going "REMEMBER THIS?"

Hopefully it's just Kemp dumping stuff like that in the beginning to get the reader settled in, because I love the concept.

I did kind of like the
Hera
name drop though.

Edit: Okay, Vader is being pretty badass in this. Dude just
bailed out of his ETA, used it as a missile to take out a gun and blow a hole in the hull of the enemy's ship, and then pulled himself with the Force through the vacuum of space and into the ship.
Yes.

Wait until you get to the Star Destroyer sequence. That's the highlight of the book.

graffix13

Just realized I haven't watched my Star Wars Blu-Rays. Ever. The set before Disney bought Lucas.

The hype for force awakens is getting to me. I should marathon it. Even the prequels.

Same here. Mine is still in the plastic.

I'm going to marathon them probably in late November. I'm just going to watch them in numerical order.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
So a big local concert hall is hosting a local sinfonia in October and they're playing the music of Star Wars and I just learned my girlfriend got us tickets. Fucking hell I am excited. The event details claim Duel of the Fates is in there along with all the other classics.

Gravidee

Kanan is an interesting read since it gives some small insight as to what else may have been happening during/after the events of ROTS from another's perspective.

B-Dex

I forgot how badass Yoda is in II and III. 😎

Got through the prequel Bly rays today. Utapau is a planet I totally wanna explore homestly.

sphagnum

Banned
Man I`m all out of SW content and my obsession is not leaving me alone.

Any good canon comics?

They're all short so far obviously but Kanan is very good and Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir was fun but felt extremely rushed since they were cramming 4 TCW scripts into 4 comics. I also really liked Princess Leia, but I know most people didn't. The ending was rushed but it was fun while it lasted.

The Lando comic is GREAT so far, but only two issues out.

Star Wars is kind of bland and Vader is all over the place in its tone but both have some interesting concepts.

And if you can read Korean there's this great adaptation of the OT (this is officially "grey canon" according to Jennifer Heddle): http://webtoon.daum.net/webtoon/viewer/30074 If you can't read Korean, it's still pretty!

sphagnum

Banned
I wish she hadn't said that. It was picking up some steam and it kinda felt like she tossed some water that way.

I still love that webcomic, though.

Yeah I don't see people really talk about it anymore. I think part of that though may also be that it's just been a straight adaptation ever since they got to the Death Star, with no new material added like it was originally doing. I would assume that would lead to a drop in interest for a lot of people. Hopefully we'll get something inbetween ESB and RotJ at least since they went straight from ANH to ESB without anything new.

I do wonder if maybe the canonicity caused them to go back and say "stop pulling from the Radio Dramas, if you could," since it appears that's the kind of stuff that's causing the "grey area" to creep around.

But hell, they should just incorporate as much of that stuff as they can and say fuck it. That stuff is too good, as it is.

Speaking of too good, posted this on the Full of Sith facebook, but a guy named Vashi Nedomasky somehow got a pretty clean copy of that old BBC documentary on John Williams as he scored Empire, and made a little video about him spotting, scoring, and recording the "I love you" scene.

https://vimeo.com/136424687

edit: Speakin of the Radio Dramas, if you haven't yet heard them, check 'em out.

It's so odd but kinda awesome that Darth Vader has a sexy snarky sidekick in his solo comic series.

This relationship is just adorable.

Edit: why don't Jedi ever use red light sabers? They just look cooler.

Woorloog

Banned
Edit: why don't Jedi ever use red light sabers? They just look cooler.

Some Legends EU works actually had Jedi with red sabers.
Often they ended up being hamfisted foreshadowing about them becoming Dark Siders.
Pricess Leia's saber had a red blade, i think, though it wasn't the shade used by the Sith usually. Can't recall the reason for this.

In-universe, it seems there weren't many reasons. The primary was that the Sith used synthetic crystals, typically creating a red blade (but not always, Luke's sword used a synthetic crystal but was green), and the natural crystals used by the Jedi were very rarely red. (Of course the Jedi knew people tended to think red blades as evil, in-universe, and since it wasn't uncommon for that thought to be true...)

Out of universe? Vader had a red blade, Vader was evil, thus evil people use red blades.
Star Wars is very much black and white, so very simple to use colors to distinguish sides and morality.

Were lightsabers common weapons like in the original concepts, the blue-red/good-evil could be reversed, since blue represents authority, that would be something for bad guys to use; while red, the color of rebelliousness, could be used by the Rebels.
Curiously we do see this reversion in colors but only in non-lightsaber context in The Force Awakens, possibly. The First Order uses red, while the Resistance uses blue...

Personally i prefer gold blade. Or certain shade of green-yellow, Ahsoka's off-hand saber is a good example of that.

graffix13

My issue is I wasn't a fan of the dynamic with him and Ahsoka, and this one seems pretty similar to me. Then again I'm not a fan of the comic as a whole.

I'm with you on that. I collected Vader for a few issues but stopped reading it (no time really). I've been keeping up on it as much as I can through summaries though, and I'm not a fan of this Aphra character. I want a comic where Vader is by himself and just a straight up bad ass. I don't need wise cracking side characters. But that's just me.

And I'm still holding out hope that
Vader cuts down Ahsoka in Rebels.

curb

Banned
I'm with you on that. I collected Vader for a few issues but stopped reading it (no time really). I've been keeping up on it as much as I can through summaries though, and I'm not a fan of this Aphra character. I want a comic where Vader is by himself and just a straight up bad ass. I don't need wise cracking side characters. But that's just me.

And I'm still holding out hope that
Vader cuts down Ahsoka in Rebels.

Are you trying to crush my heart?
I'm fully expecting it to happen. Well, maybe. Rebels is a tad more kid-friendly than Clone Wars. I wonder if they would do something so brutal.

curb

Banned
It has to happen, doesn't it? I can't really see how they get around it.

I would think so but like I said, the show seems far less brutal than Clone Wars. She could survive the show just because they don't really kill "good guys". Also, she's Filoni's baby.

That seems like the easiest route for the show to take for emotional impact though.

Edit: I'm not saying they actually have a rule about not killing "good guys". It's just making up a pretend rule for argument's sake.

I would think so but like I said, the show seems far less brutal than Clone Wars. She could survive the show just because they don't really kill "good guys". Also, she's Filoni's baby.

That seems like the easiest route for the show to take for emotional impact though.

I have a feeling Season 2 will be more brutal. I was pretty surprised by the Inquisitor's execution of the two Imperial idiots.

Top Bottom