• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Simo

So I'm in Chicago at a trade show for a specific hardware store chain and was surprised to see some TFA merchandise. They had sculpted ceramic mugs of Kylo and Phasma that were cool along with glass ware showing the new TIE fighter and trooper and Millennium Falcon with Chewie on the other side.

Sadly the Booth attendant wouldn't sell me the mugs and talked about just how strict Disney is being on revealing merchandise.

So I'm in Chicago at a trade show for a specific hardware store chain and was surprised to see some TFA merchandise. They had sculpted ceramic mugs of Kylo and Phasma that were cool along with glass ware showing the new TIE fighter and trooper and Millennium Falcon with Chewie on the other side.

Sadly the Booth attendant wouldn't sell me the mugs and talked about just how strict Disney is being on revealing merchandise.
Why display it at all if they won't sell it? Bit weird.

Oh hey BattleMonkey, how do you get a gig like that anyway?

I'm in the 501st costume club. Al invites us to his shows good form usually anywhere he goes. We get to do lot of cool stuff and Disney recognizes us for our costumes and charity work. We get invited to participate in lot of cool events, like each summer we March at Disney star wars weekends parades.

curb

Banned
I'm in the 501st costume club. Al invites us to his shows good form usually anywhere he goes. We get to do lot of cool stuff and Disney recognizes us for our costumes and charity work. We get invited to participate in lot of cool events, like each summer we March at Disney star wars weekends parades.

Good stuff! That's really awesome.

ghostmind

Sweet Force Awakens wall art at Target:

Gq1b5QD.jpg

LOL, that build-your-own lightsaber kit is hilarious. I like the lightsaber pitchfork. And all the other things that would lead to self-dismemberment. XD

sphagnum

Banned
The newest chapter of The Story Before The Force Awakens is out. Just recounts Yoda revealing himself to Luke. There is one slightly new addition though, in that when Luke is training with Yoda he grabs onto a vine that breaks while trying to swing and he falls into the water, possibly knocked out.

Also I assume the shot of Vader over Yoda is when Yoda says "Much anger in him like his father..." But that would mean that they'd be giving away that Vader is Luke's father to the audience quite a bit earlier, unless it's a different piece of dialogue.

Just finished reading Dark Disciple. I thought the book was great, probably my second favourite so far behind A New Dawn. Hope to see more of the characters featured in the book in more Star Wars stuff. I only just discovered that they invented Quinlan Vos because of a random background character in TPM, that's nuts.

Can't believe they killed Ventress though, that's super depressing. She's a fantastic character but I guess it had to be done since she isn't in anything post TCW.

curb

Banned
Just finished reading Dark Disciple. I thought the book was great, probably my second favourite so far behind A New Dawn. Hope to see more of the characters featured in the book in more Star Wars stuff. I only just discovered that they invented Quinlan Vos because of a random background character in TPM, that's nuts.

Can't believe they killed Ventress though, that's super depressing. She's a fantastic character but I guess it had to be done since she isn't in anything post TCW.

I don't think they necessarily had to
kill
her. There must be all kinds of freelance bounty hunters bumming around the galaxy.

graffix13

There was a whole series of comics dedicated to Quinlan Vos. Star Wars: Republic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Republic). That's how I became familiar with Vos. The run was ok...although the last issue I thought he
should have died with Order 66.
I guess it just rubs me the wrong way because ever since A New Hope I've had it instilled in my head that literally, ALL THE JEDI are gone. Wiped out. So many exceptions now with all the new stories and characters being created. And although I haven't seen all the The Clone Wars episodes, I believe there are a few that feature Quinlan Vos as a character.

Love that cover. I'm really loving Kylo's lightsaber now. The crossguard bothered me at first but I just love that the blade is unstable due to the poor, untrained craftsmenship of it's builder (I assume it's Kylo). I dunno...gives the weapon more 'character'.

There was a whole series of comics dedicated to Quinlan Vos. Star Wars: Republic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Republic). That's how I became familiar with Vos. The run was ok...although the last issue I thought he
should have died with Order 66.
I guess it just rubs me the wrong way because ever since A New Hope I've had it instilled in my head that literally, ALL THE JEDI are gone. Wiped out. So many exceptions now with all the new stories and characters being created. And although I haven't seen all the The Clone Wars episodes, I believe there are a few that feature Quinlan Vos as a character.

Vos from the old EU is very different to the Vos in the Clone Wars. In the show there's no real hint he's ever strayed close to the dark side.

graffix13

Vos from the old EU is very different to the Vos in the Clone Wars. In the show there's no real hint he's ever strayed close to the dark side.

Ahh yeah, I knew that SW: Republic wasn't canon anymore. But since Vos was in TPM, and episode or two of the Clone Wars and his named was dropped in RotS I knew that the character himself still was canon. Just aspects of this character progression were changed or outright erased.

Darn, was hoping for a cover featuring the OT cast. Guess they're saving Luke's reveal for the trailer

I wouldn't be all that surprised if he's not in the final trailer either.

Empire replied to MSW after they asked about the OT Stormtroopers and old Falcon.

Didn’t think that one would get past you! All I can say about that is that the image was provided in its current form by Lucasfilm, after having been approved by the filmmakers.

curb

Banned
I personally think it's pretty clear that TFA is all about the new cast. Luke and Leia will probably have minor supporting roles with maybe a decent chunk of Han. I'm not surprised it's all new cast on the covers. I suspect most of the marketing will be like that.

graffix13

I personally think it's pretty clear that TFA is all about the new cast. Luke and Leia will probably have minor supporting roles with maybe a decent chunk of Han. I'm not surprised it's all new cast on the covers. I suspect most of the marketing will be like that.

Yep I agree and that's totally cool with me.

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Luke Skywalker (he's probably my favorite hero in all of fiction) but I'm wanting to see the new blood.

curb

Banned
Yep I agree and that's totally cool with me.

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Luke Skywalker (he's probably my favorite hero in all of fiction) but I'm wanting to see the new blood.

I think it really works for the age of those characters. They're leaders and mentors now, not adventurers. Well, except maybe one last kick at the can for Han.

ghostmind

Anyone reading Kanan? Is it any good? Thinking of picking it up but curious on how it is.

It's probably the weakest of the ongoing series, but I'm still enjoying it. Newest issue wraps up the first arc, which was a flashback, and it looks like next arc goes even further back.

I'm not sure they will show him at all. If they do it's going to be the last trailer we get a few weeks before release.

They won't show him in the marketing at all. There's a reason why Lucasfilm jumped on that leaked Luke image with cease and desist letters when they haven't really done that before outside that one Kylo image SWU posted on Imageshack. It's a big spoiler and not something they want out there and definitely not something they'll show in a trailer or commercial.

curb

Banned
They won't show him in the marketing at all. There's a reason why Lucasfilm jumped on that leaked Luke image with cease and desist letters when they haven't really done that before outside that one Kylo image SWU posted on Imageshack. It's a big spoiler and not something they want out there and definitely not something they'll show in a trailer or commercial.

It would be really nice if they managed to genuinely keep some surprises under wraps. I believe Lupita Nyong'o said here character won't be seen until the movie's released - I'd love to see that happen.

It would be really nice if they managed to genuinely keep some surprises under wraps. I believe Lupita Nyong'o said here character won't be seen until the movie's released - I'd love to see that happen.

That could just be due to the nature of her character since she's a puppet/CG/motion capture alien. Her hand and part of her face is in the second teaser. JJ could just want to avoid any Jar Jar 2.0 panic that the internet would surely ignite if they showed a CG/Puppet supporting character.

Luke's not being shown deliberately.

Yep, that's what I think as well. I think the glimpse of him in the second teaser and the voiceover will be all the Luke we'll see or hear of. Different story for Episode VIII.

Cheebo

Banned
We've seen character art of her, we pretty much know what she looks like. At lease those who check out the spoiler image material.

curb

Banned
We've seen character art of her, we pretty much know what she looks like. At lease those who check out the spoiler image material.

That's key though. It doesn't seem like they'll be officially showing her character in pre-release promotion.

Cheebo

Banned
That's key though. It doesn't seem like they'll be officially showing her character in pre-release promotion.

I think Flow-Walker has it right on the reasoning. Avoiding the OMG JARJAR 2.0 reaction when people see an all cgi character.

Top Bottom