• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

curb

Banned
I think Flow-Walker has it right on the reasoning. Avoiding the OMG JARJAR 2.0 reaction when people see an all cgi character.

Could be. The "internet" seems really sensitive about CG/prequel related stuff even though the movie is going to be full of CG and Disney is (of course) not retconning the prequels out of existence.

These are my favorite of the toys, but it is a big weird/disappointing to me that they are packing one TFA ship with three OT ones.

It's so you'll buy the pack to get Poe's X-Wing. Cynical but probably true.

Anyone going to NYCC? They're showing two new Rebels episodes there with the series debuts of Rex, Gregor and Wolffe.

Rootbeer

Banned
Exclusive C-3PO minifigure polybag. Details on how to get it forthcoming.

vBO2jcv.jpg

sphagnum

Banned
In case you don't have access to the short stories, Starwars.com has posted Blade Squadron Part I online. The second part will follow later on.

http://www.starwars.com/news/blade-squadron-part-one

It's worth reading since they'll be getting another short story in a future Insider issue (Blade Squadron: Zero Hour) and tie into Aftermath. Also Admiral Montferrat in Blade Squadron was based on Mads Mikkelsen, who has been cast for Rogue One, so coincidence...?

In case you don't have access to the short stories, Starwars.com has posted Blade Squadron Part I online. The second part will follow later on.

http://www.starwars.com/news/blade-squadron-part-one

It's worth reading since they'll be getting another short story in a future Insider issue (Blade Squadron: Zero Hour) and tie into Aftermath. Also Admiral Montferrat in Blade Squadron was based on Mads Mikkelsen, who has been cast for Rogue One, so coincidence...?

Is the Insider magazine worth a subscription? I've looked at it in the past and it seems pretty expensive in comparison to the number of issues you get.

Calcium

Banned
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get those LEGO sets. I was already leaning towards getting the Falcon, but the rest of them look pretty cool too. The hype is too much, I have to buy stuff.

My friend made a deal with me. We are going to a midnight showing. I'm going to cos play as General Hux. He is going to cospkayd Kylo Ren.

I've never done this before. How does that work.

Simo

My friend made a deal with me. We are going to a midnight showing. I'm going to cos play as General Hux. He is going to cospkayd Kylo Ren.

I've never done this before. How does that work.

Midnight showings are a thing of the past though. Nowadays major film openings start the day before opening day at 7pm, at least here in the US.

Although I'm fully expecting theaters to do a OT marathon that caps off with TFA.

Some new package toys were out at a Walmart in Northern Virginia but they wouldn't scan and manager wouldn't let me buy. These were the Air Hogs w/ Kylo packages and those little Box Blasters. Nothing of actual Episode VII stuff though.

Risgroo

Hi, guys! I've almost watched all the episodes of Rebels, which I'm really enjoying, and I want to get into Clone Wars once I finish. Just have a few questions first:

1. Should I rewatch the movie, or is the show mostly separate from it? Haven't seen it since 2008 or so.
2. How does the animation and style compare to Rebels? I find Rebels' look a bit drab, and even though I get that they're depicting shabby Outer Rim planets, I'd like to see more vibrant locations.
3. Finally, should I just start from the beginning and work my way through, or are there some episodes I should skip?

Thanks!

Midnight showings are a thing of the past though. Nowadays major film openings start the day before opening day at 7pm, at least here in the US.

Although I'm fully expecting theaters to do a OT marathon that caps off with TFA.
I was mostly referring to the cosplay. Never done it before

curb

Banned
Hi, guys! I've almost watched all the episodes of Rebels, which I'm really enjoying, and I want to get into Clone Wars once I finish. Just have a few questions first:

1. Should I rewatch the movie, or is the show mostly separate from it? Haven't seen it since 2008 or so.
2. How does the animation and style compare to Rebels? I find Rebels' look a bit drab, and even though I get that they're depicting shabby Outer Rim planets, I'd like to see more vibrant locations.
3. Finally, should I just start from the beginning and work my way through, or are there some episodes I should skip?

Thanks!

The movie is rough. You could rewatch it until they leave the first planet and skip the rest. The animation in CW is better and includes some great variety in the planets depicted. Also, I say watch them all. It has definite ups and downs but most of it is worthwhile. If you must skip, there are episode guides online.

Sayers

Thanks!

1. Yes, watch the movie. It's not great but it sets up the TV series.
2. The animation in Clone Wars gets better as the series progresses. And it is galaxy spanning, not just one planet like Rebels.
3. I watched them in order and enjoyed it. There are episodes you can skip although it really depends on what you like. Every season has at least one "R2 and C-3PO get lost and have adventures". Those are ok, but mostly just filler. Other episodes focus on Padme, which I found to be the least interesting but some here will disagree. So really its up to you.

But watch this series, it is fantastic. Some of the best moments in the Star Wars franchise are in this show. Depending how far you are in Rebels, you may want to stop and watch all of Clone Wars first. There are certain events at the end of the first season of Rebels that will have a far greater impact if you have seen Clone Wars.

I've been reading Making Return of the Jedi by JW Rinzler and up until now I didn't know the circumstances of Richard Marquand's death. Very sad - 49 is far too young.
The Making of books really are fantastic reads. I'd say essential reading for Star Wars fans.

Risgroo

The movie is rough. You could rewatch it until they leave the first planet and skip the rest. The animation in CW is better and includes some great variety in the planets depicted. Also, I say watch them all. It has definite ups and downs but most of it is worthwhile. If you must skip, there are episode guides online.

1. Yes, watch the movie. It's not great but it sets up the TV series.
2. The animation in Clone Wars gets better as the series progresses. And it is galaxy spanning, not just one planet like Rebels.
3. I watched them in order and enjoyed it. There are episodes you can skip although it really depends on what you like. Every season has at least one "R2 and C-3PO get lost and have adventures". Those are ok, but mostly just filler. Other episodes focus on Padme, which I found to be the least interesting but some here will disagree. So really its up to you.

But watch this series, it is fantastic. Some of the best moments in the Star Wars franchise are in this show. Depending how far you are in Rebels, you may want to stop and watch all of Clone Wars first. There are certain events at the end of the first season of Rebels that will have a far greater impact if you have seen Clone Wars.

Alright, thanks a lot! Sounds like I should have started watching this years ago hahahh. I'm at the final episode of Rebels, so it's a bit late to pause now. I won't miss anything too major, I hope?

Sayers

Alright, thanks a lot! Sounds like I should have started watching this years ago hahahh. I'm at the final episode of Rebels, so it's a bit late to pause now. I won't miss anything too major, I hope?

Very specifically there is a reveal at the end of the final episode of Season 1 of Rebels that will have very little impact on you without having watched Clone Wars.

Zombine

Banned
It's so you'll buy the pack to get Poe's X-Wing. Cynical but probably true.

Anyone going to NYCC? They're showing two new Rebels episodes there with the series debuts of Rex, Gregor and Wolffe.

Thanks for the heads up dude. I'll plan my day around that panel and report back.

ghostmind

I've been reading Making Return of the Jedi by JW Rinzler and up until now I didn't know the circumstances of Richard Marquand's death. Very sad - 49 is far too young.
The Making of books really are fantastic reads. I'd say essential reading for Star Wars fans.

Agreed - I've got the "Making Of" books for the three OT movies, and they are probably the best Star Wars books I own.

Hoping that Rinzler (no, not that one) gets to make more of these books for the new movies.

Donnie Yen's posted an interesting photo of some of the helmets from Rogue One:

Rogue-One-Helmets.jpg

Looks like it could be a Shadow Trooper on the left. Not sure about the one on the right - could be something one of the team wears.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Donnie Yen's posted an interesting photo of some of the helmets from Rogue One:

Rogue-One-Helmets.jpg

Looks like it could be a Shadow Trooper on the left. Not sure about the one on the right - could be something one of the team wears.

Right looks like a new version of the forest trooper (I forgot their real name). The left one is like some kind of Tie Fighter pilot.

graffix13

New pic of Kylo from Empire.

Empire-Mag-Kylo-Ren.jpg

I love that costume.

I love that lightsaber.

So getting in the SW 'mood' again I decided to catch up on some Clone Wars episodes. I've seen a lot of them sporadically but I don't know if I have the patience to actually sit down and watch the full series. So I just cherry-picked from Netflix. I watched the Hutt one with Quinlan Vos. I enjoyed that one.

Next I watched the the Death Watch episodes...I've always had a soft spot for Mandalorians and their history (I'm more of a Jango fan than a Boba fan). One thing that really annoyed me though was the part where
Vizsla pulled out a black lightsaber. Ugh. I thought it was forced and uneeded. Wow, a black lightsaber. It's like giving someone a lightsaber automatically makes an already good character 'cooler'. Not for me. It's been done to death at this point. At first it was a Jedi only weapon and now everyone is skilled with one it seems.
They did that shit with Aurra Sing too and it annoyed me.

Then I watched the last 2 episodes of S6. The ones where
Yoda is on a quest to find out how to become a Force ghost. Was that Artoo with him? Again, this annoyed me because I always thought their first real interaction was in ESB on Dagobah and they annoyed the shit out of each other. Now that dynamic is gone and they've always been buddies and were just putting on a show for Luke at the time?

Nitpicks I know but I'm such a fanboy that little shit like that can really take me out of the episodes and I sour on the whole thing. It's really a curse, as I can't seem to enjoy it.

Risgroo

Very specifically there is a reveal at the end of the final episode of Season 1 of Rebels that will have very little impact on you without having watched Clone Wars.
Yeah, now I kinda wish I'd seen CW first, since that reveal didn't get anything other than an "oh, neat" out of me.
Anyway, I finished the Clone Wars movie earlier today, and it was quite a lot better than I remembered, especially in terms of the visual style, which I absolutely hated when it came out. Can't wait to start the show tomorrow!
I love that lightsaber.

Wait, are we allowed to say that without getting lynched now? :p

Yeah, now I kinda wish I'd seen CW first, since that reveal didn't get anything other than an "oh, neat" out of me.
Anyway, I finished the Clone Wars movie earlier today, and it was quite a lot better than I remembered, especially in terms of the visual style, which I absolutely hated when it came out. Can't wait to start the show tomorrow!

Most of us have been saying that since it was revealed. It's a fricking broadsword lightsaber! How can you not like it? I never understood the hate.

Meowster

I like the lightsaber (it's a cool design!) though I'm not sure how effective a crossguard is for that type of weapon. I don't think it would save you the hand as much as most people might think... in other words, I need to get back on the Clone Wars marathon. I made it through Season 3. Just have three more seasons left.

graffix13

I am impartial on the crossguard honestly (although it is growing on me). My love for it is the unstable, jagged beam of the blade. It's a reflection of its user. It's not 'pretty' like light sabers of the past. Imperfect.

Let's be fair, all these 3.75 figures suck.

When I was a kid, you could get a sturdy TMNT figure for $3.99, now they want in the neighborhood of $8 for these tiny things? I know inflation and whatnot, but toys today just don't seem to have the same quality standards.

When I was a kid, you could get a sturdy TMNT figure for $3.99, now they want in the neighborhood of $8 for these tiny things? I know inflation and whatnot, but toys today just don't seem to have the same quality standards.

if you want a bright side, in the UK a standard 3.75 action figure is the equivalent of about $15 these days - impulse buys really are no longer an option.

Top Bottom