• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Rootbeer

Banned
Finally

Pics of the Sphero BB-8 toy (source.) This pic was taken at a Best Buy warehouse (Hmm... Best Buy... BB-8... )

For those not keeping up... Sphero developed the technology used inside the on-screen BB-8 in the movie, so this is about the most official BB-8 toy we are likely to get for now. Target also has an RC BB-8 but it does not appear to use Sphero technology.

KlevqD0.jpg

H079zJ9.jpg

08XodZl.jpg

This is the first toy that I've gone "yeah. Yeah, I could see myself getting one of those."

About a decade ago I got one of those 2ft tall voice-activated R2 D2s. The novelty of telling him to go into one room and then come back wore off pretty quick, but he looked pretty damn awesome hanging out by the front speaker in the living room.

Tapejara

I love how people write it off as a "kid's show".

I find more people try to write it off because it's based off the prequels. I love convincing people to give it a shot anyway and then watching them fall in love with it.

But it is a kid's show.

kid's shows don't have to have all the crusts cut off of them, by definition.

Good point. There are lots of cartoons out there that are targeted towards kids but still feature content some would consider inappropriate. Later seasons of SpongeBob, Ren & Stimpy, Regular Show, etc.

Reports are circulating that Gareth Edwards' spinoff movie will be utilizing Ultra Panavision 70 anamorphic lenses. Basically, they will be the same lenses that Panavision specifically recreated for Quentin Tarantino to use on his upcoming "The Hateful Eight." THR first heard the word a couple of months ago that it's "expected" Greig Fraser would be using the lenses for the movie but nothing has been formally announced just yet. That said, it was also announced around the same time that parts of the movie would be using the Arris Alexa 65 large-format 6K digital camera — so maybe that's where these lenses come into play?

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...story-might-be-shot-in-panavision-70-20150828

gsrjedi

I wrote this up for a SW collector forum and figured I'd copy it here for anybody interested in the new Disney Infinity 3.0 figures coming out on Sunday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With all the Force Friday hype I didn't realize that Disney Infinity 3.0 (the one with the Star Wars figures comes out on Sunday). I know a couple people play video games & I don't know who has played the Infinity games before or bought the figures, but I figured I'd do a little write-up so anybody who is jumping in for the SW figs knows what to expect.

The figures & how they are sold

Game bundles
The starter pack is $65. This includes the game, the base, the Twilight of the Republic playset piece, and the Anakin & Ahsoka figures.
There is also a Saga bundle exclusive to PlayStation platforms which includes the starter pack, plus the Rise Against the Empire Playset pack (RAtE playset piece, Luke & Leia figures), & Boba Fett. This is $115 & gets you the RAtE pack & Fett early.

Playset packs
If you don't want the game, you can buy the Playset packs for $35 each

Individual figures
The characters in the playsets are only available in those playsets, but you can buy additional figures for $14 each ($15 at TRU & GameStop)

Power Discs
These are used in the game. They give your character's boosts or will add vehicles/weapons to the toy box or you can change the sky and land theming to something different (Nemo discs put you underwater, Tron discs look like the Tron world, etc.) These used to be sold in pairs in a blind-pack, but will now be visible in a 4-pack for $10

Deals
If you're thinking that's kinda expensive, you'd be right. Luckily DI tends to have pretty frequent deals. You mostly see buy-2-get one free or 2 for $20 on the figures. The playsets don't go on sale as frequently though.
With the game launching on Sunday; Best Buy has buy 3 DI 3.0 items & get the 4th free; Target has 2 for $20 on all figures; TRU has 3 figures for $9 each with purchase of starter pack and buy-1-get-1-50% off on all figures

Exclusives
Disney Infinity doesn't usually do store exclusives. They did for the first game, but not the 2nd. What they will sometimes do is give a store an exclusive figure for a limited time. Usually a month. So you can get Kanan at WalMart first, but he'll be sold everywhere else in about a month.

What can I buy & when
Infinity figures & playsets tend to come out in waves for a couple months.

8/30 Star Wars characters
TotR Playset (Anakin & Ahsoka)
Yoda
Obi-Wan
Kanan (WalMart exclusive)
Zeb (GameStop exclusive) ($15)
Sabine (Target exclusive)
Ezra (TRU exclusive) ($15)
TotR Power Disc pack

Using the Best Buy deal to get the playset, Yoda, Obi-Wan, & Power disc pack this would all run you $121
Using the Target deal of 2 for $20 this would all run you $123 ($113 if you don't want the power discs)

8/30 Other characters
Inside Out Playset (Joy & Anger)
Disgust
Sadness
Fear (Amazon exclusive)
Mulan (Best Buy exclusive)
Olaf
Sam Flynn
Quorra
Mickey Mouse
Minnie Mouse
Tomorrowland Power Disc pack

9/29 Star Wars characters
RAtE Playset (Luke & Leia)
Darth Vader
Han Solo
Chewbacca
RAtE Power Disc pack
the previous release exclusives should be available everywhere now

11/03 Characters
Darth Maul
Hulkbuster Iron Man
Ultron

Other characters without a set release date
Boba Fett (possibly January)
Rey
Finn
The Force Awakens Playset (probably will have Rey & Finn)
Light FX figures (holiday time frame - versions of Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda, Darth Vader, Luke, & Kanan with lightsabers that light up when put on the game base [don't know if they'll be a way to light the sabers up off the base at some point][these will cost $1 more than regular figures])
Marvel Battlegrounds Playset (Spring 2016, a 4-player local cp so it might need 2 bases or a new base entirely)
Nick Wilde & Judy Hoops from Zootopia
Spot from The Good Dinosaur
Zootopia Power Disc pack
The Good Dinosaur Power Disc pack

You can stop reading now if you only care about the figures, here's a little about the actual game
The game has 2 modes - playsets or toy box. The playsets are story-based missions that require the playset piece to open up & you can only use certain characters in each playset. It's made for kids so the game isn't too challenging or deep. Toy box mode lets you create your own levels and games using a whole bunch of assets; or you can play levels other people have designed. You can mix & match any character from DI 3.0 or any of the previous games in this mode, some characters can only be used in the toy box.

Here's a list of reviews which will have more info on DI 3.0 specifically

gsrjedi

MattyG

Banned
Are there any planets that had uncivilized alien societies (similar to the Ewoks) during the rise of the Empire (post RotS/pre ANH)?

Rootbeer

Banned
I miss the days when Fast Food chains had cool promotional items like glassware. They do that so rarely anymore.

But... at least I know I will be buying these!

76AlzUp.jpg

Moff

Finally

Pics of the Sphero BB-8 toy (source.) This pic was taken at a Best Buy warehouse (Hmm... Best Buy... BB-8... )

For those not keeping up... Sphero developed the technology used inside the on-screen BB-8 in the movie, so this is about the most official BB-8 toy we are likely to get for now. Target also has an RC BB-8 but it does not appear to use Sphero technology.

KlevqD0.jpg

H079zJ9.jpg

08XodZl.jpg
looks great, I am also happy that he is pretty small, I would not have wanted a live size droid

JimiNutz

Banned
Goddammit, I need to get through seasons 1 and 2 and get to the good stuff!

Im the same.
Have heard the show gets really good later on but didn't really want to waste me limited free time watching seasons 1 and 2 as I heard they weren't particular good.

My Star Wars hype levels are rising rapidly though and I finally took the plunge and ordered the box set on Blu Ray.

Hope the snow lives up to the hype (have heard it's some of the best Star Wars available - books, comics, games and movies included!)

graffix13

Im the same.
Have heard the show gets really good later on but didn't really want to waste me limited free time watching seasons 1 and 2 as I heard they weren't particular good.

My Star Wars hype levels are rising rapidly though and I finally took the plunge and ordered the box set on Blu Ray.

Hope the snow lives up to the hype (have heard it's some of the best Star Wars available - books, comics, games and movies included!)

I was cherry picking from later episodes and watching the ones that interested me from the description. But the other day I just decided to start at S1 and watch them all in order. I am up to Episode 5 of S1 and I am loving it. Unless there is some major drop off the rest of S1 and S2, I think the early seasons get a bad rap.

Tapejara

I was cherry picking from later episodes and watching the ones that interested me from the description. But the other day I just decided to start at S1 and watch them all in order. I am up to Episode 5 of S1 and I am loving it. Unless there is some major drop off the rest of S1 and S2, I think the early seasons get a bad rap.

Seasons 1 and 2 are quite good; but season 3 is where the show really finds its footing.

JimiNutz

Banned
Glad to hear that first two seasons are good.
To be honest I have absolutely no idea why I have waited this long, I absolutely love pretty much everything Star Wars related.

Think I'll start reading the new Marvel comics too but want to read them once they are collected as trades rather than issue by issue.

Are any of the new Marvel comics series sold in trade collections now or do you still have to buy/read the individual issues?

Glad to hear that first two seasons are good.
To be honest I have absolutely no idea why I have waited this long, I absolutely love pretty much everything Star Wars related.

Think I'll start reading the new Marvel comics too but want to read them once they are collected as trades rather than issue by issue.

Are any of the new Marvel comics series sold in trade collections now or do you still have to buy/read the individual issues?

Nope, not yet. Star Wars and Vader get their first trades in October.

Sayers

Seasons 1 and 2 are excellent, they just have some goofier moments compared to 3-6. Also, Season 3 is where they really start getting into the 3, 4 and 5 episode arcs.

So they can pretty much just rebrand all this merch based on the original earlier movies with "Journey to the Force Awakens" and just re-sell it. Cash-grab.

A behind the scenes video from the film has cropped up on YouTube. Shows the encounter between Finn, Rey and some First Order Stormtroopers from the teaser. Making Star Wars seem to think both Ridley and Boyega are using their native accents. You can hear their dialogue at 1:05 ish. I think Ridley's using her normal accent and Boyega's doing an American one but I'm not sure.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/08/abu-dhabi-star-wars-the-force-awakens-set-video/

Does anyone know if the information in the new fantasy flight Star Wars roleplaying game is canon? I think it came out after the change. I'm looking at a map from the book now and was just curious.
I'm seeing a reference to the canon Moraband, but it is interchangeable in the book with Korriban.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't think it is canon. But it is making an effort to fit into canon, especially in the more recent products like Force & Destiny. In the sidebars you will see stuff like "... the actual origins of such and such are still unclear..." etc., and some things even directly mention Legends. But, in a game like this, they have to fill in a lot of gaps since there isn't a lot of canon right now so I feel it is expected.

The roleplaying games like D6 Star Wars of old have been a huge resource and inspiration for the new canon. For example Inquisitors first appeared there long, long before Star Wars Rebels brought them in.

I like to think of the roleplaying games as a breeding ground for new ideas that can work their way into canon. Embrace anything that does not conflict with existing canon if you like it. It could be in a future movie, show or book before you know it.

So, in the end what would you prefer -- a game that stays as canon as possible which is probably very limiting, or a game that strives to be a bit more creative and expand on existing canon, because today's bizarre RPG idea is tomorrow's new movie villain.

FFG's Star Wars tabletop RPGs are great, as are their miniature games! I hope people are checking them out.

Regarding Moraband/Korriban I think the explanation a lot of people are going with is that it changed its name at one point. In reality GL changed it, but in-universe it's possible that the planet had some kind of political event that caused them to change the name. At least this is what I've heard people postulate on various forums, so you can go with whatever you prefer for your headcanon

Simo

Silly question but that Sphero BB-8...it'll be just like the movie right where it'll roll while the head still remains on top and possibly will turn if you choose it too? If so I'd drop the bones for it despite the size.

Rootbeer

Banned
Silly question but that Sphero BB-8...it'll be just like the movie right where it'll roll while the head still remains on top and possibly will turn if you choose it too? If so I'd drop the bones for it despite the size.

Well we haven't seen it in action yet but in theory yes... I have seen a very short video someone made of the less expensive RC version and it does roll with the head staying on, so it's reasonable to assume this one which is 2x the price will be able to do that. I don't know how much you can control the head, like if you can make it turn or look down. I think we should keep expectations in check though because $150 is not a lot of money when it comes to an electronic like this, it probably can't do everything the movie version can.

JimiNutz

Banned
If the Sphero BB-8 is Best Buy exclusive in the US, is it still being released in international markets? Specifically the UK?

Simo

Well we haven't seen it in action yet but in theory yes... I have seen a very short video someone made of the less expensive RC version and it does roll with the head staying on, so it's reasonable to assume this one which is 2x the price will be able to do that. I don't know how much you can control the head, like if you can make it turn or look down. I think we should keep expectations in check though because $150 is not a lot of money when it comes to an electronic like this, it probably can't do everything the movie version can.

Yeah I saw that too...it kinda wobbles along. lol

If the Sphero BB-8 is Best Buy exclusive in the US, is it still being released in international markets? Specifically the UK?

Apparently it's not Best Buy exclusive.

Does anyone know if the information in the new fantasy flight Star Wars roleplaying game is canon? I think it came out after the change. I'm looking at a map from the book now and was just curious.
I'm seeing a reference to the canon Moraband, but it is interchangeable in the book with Korriban.

They clarified at Celebration that the FFG RPG is in the same category as SWTOR, "authentic" but not canon. They are free to incorporate both Legends and Canon material.

graffix13

Anyone getting Disney Infinity 3.0 tomorrow? I have never played the Infinity games but seeing that Star Wars gameplay....I am going to have to get this.

Hagi

Anyone getting Disney Infinity 3.0 tomorrow? I have never played the Infinity games but seeing that Star Wars gameplay....I am going to have to get this.

I picked it up today (UK) and it's pretty good. Got the starter set and Sabine, I heard that they are releasing figures with light up light sabers so didn't up Kanan or Ezra. Never played the last Infinity releases but man they go all out with their themes my two hours fucking about in the toy box was super fun.

curb

Banned

I have it preordered but it likely won't get delivered until Tuesday at this rate. I'll be picking up a couple figures tomorrow. Reviews are good so I'm looking forward to it.

I picked it up today (UK) and it's pretty good. Got the starter set and Sabine, I heard that they are releasing figures with light up light sabers so didn't up Kanan or Ezra. Never played the last Infinity releases but man they go all out with their themes my two hours fucking about in the toy box was super fun.

It could change but they didn't announce a light up figure for Ezra, just Kanaan.

They clarified at Celebration that the FFG RPG is in the same category as SWTOR, "authentic" but not canon. They are free to incorporate both Legends and Canon material.
Good to know.

The Disney infinity looks really good, and I want it, but I'll have to wait for a sale. Too much stuff to buy during this time of year.

Top Bottom