• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

MattyG

Banned
Nothing can salvage that name, though.
z4PNs33.gif

sphagnum

Banned
Some people on TFN have Aftermath and have been posting spoilers. Here's some more interesting tidbits:

-The New Republic is based on Chandrila, with the Senate being in Hanna City. Mon Mothma is the chancellor. That matches up with Marvel's Star Wars comic, where she was referenced by Ackbar I believe as "Chancellor Mothma", even that early into the war.
-There's some sort of cult group that wants to buy Vader's lightsaber. I don't know if this is the same group as the "Acolytes of the Beyond" who were also mentioned.
-Cut Lawquane, of all people, makes an appearance during an interlude on Saleucami.
-The main character, Norra Wexley, has a son who has a modified battle droid named Mr. Bones.
-Wedge Antilles was recruited for the Rebel Alliance by Ahsoka!
-Rae Sloane meets with a "shadowy figure thought dead" at the end.

Some strange things in there.

Rootbeer

Banned
Excerpt from Aftermath novel with interesting plot details. SPOILERS.

"No Sith remains. And the lone Jedi that exists--the son of Anakin Skywalker--possesses an untouchable soul. At least for now. We must instead move towards the dark side. Palpatine felt that the universe beyond the edges of our map was where his power came from. Over the many years he, with our aid, sent men and women beyond known space. They built labs and communication stations on distant moons, asteroids, out there in the wilds. We must follow them. Retreat from the Galaxy. Go out beyond the veil of stars. We must seek the source of the dark side like a man looking for a wellspring of water."

Woorloog

Banned
Is Aftermath written in present tense like in that one preview/excerpt i saw?
Because if it is, i won't be reading it, even though i'm interested in the events of the book. Can't stand present tense narration in literature.

Is Aftermath written in present tense like in that one preview/excerpt i saw?
Because if it is, i won't be reading it, even though i'm interested in the events of the book. Can't stand present tense narration in literature.

Yes, it is. I can see what you mean. By the end of the excerpt I'd got used to the writing style.

Woorloog

Banned
I'll just read summaries and spoilers then.

I guess that matches my original intention, i was kind of going to watch the films and more or less ignore everything else in the new canon (while ignoring the old canon).
That way, i won't be disappointed when the inevitable retcons and contradictions appear in new canon, despite their intentions of creating a consistent Star Wars universe.

Woorloog

Banned
That's not the kind of retcon I expected to happen. I like.

I don't. Make's the galaxy needlessly smaller place. Not everyone should be connected somehow.

Not sure it is a retcon though, more of a reveal as retcon changes existing stuff.

curb

Banned
I don't. Make's the galaxy needlessly smaller place. Not everyone should be connected somehow.

Not sure it is a retcon though, more of a reveal as retcon changes existing stuff.

I suppose about the use of "retcon".

In this case, I think the Rebellion was small enough at the time that this particular event doesn't really reduce the scope of the galaxy.

Not everything should be connected, but its Star Wars. Everything is connected when it shouldn't be.

Woorloog

Banned
I suppose about the use of "retcon".

In this case, I think the Rebellion was small enough at the time that this particular event doesn't really reduce the scope of the galaxy.

I guess. Admittedly it is a very small thing.
But i'm worried this will lead to other such connections
In fiction, there tend to be heaps of these small things, so many one starts to wonder....

curb

Banned
In fiction, there tend to be heaps of these small things, so many one starts to wonder....

It is fairly minor. It will take some time to see how far they take all these little connections.

graffix13

However the rebel alliance was started has got to be better than how it was started in The Force Unleashed. Ugh. At this point I'm just glad that was retconned.

Cheebo

Banned

The novels in the end will always have a lot of inside fan sort of connections and the like. The novels will always be aimed at a much smaller and more niche audience than the films and focus more on the hardcore fan and appealing with little references and the like for them.

The films for example would never mention Ahsoka/Fulcum in any way, the films will always stand apart from the rest of the media.

curb

Banned
I would personally like it if Ahsoka survives Rebels but that's more of a "want" and not a "need". Obviously it's in the hands of Filoni and the Story Group. It could happen with her likely not being an actual Jedi - "Certain point of view" and all that.

I would personally like it if Ahsoka survives Rebels but that's more of a "want" and not a "need". Obviously it's in the hands of Filoni and the Story Group. It could happen with her likely not being an actual Jedi - "Certain point of view" and all that.
The problem then is justifying why she doesn't help the rebels in either of their biggest assaults on the Empire. It'll be interesting to see what they decide on.

curb

Banned
The problem then is justifying why she doesn't help the rebels in either of their biggest assaults on the Empire. It'll be interesting to see what they decide on.

There were lots of people involved so I think there's certainly lots of room to work her in should they decide to go that route. I think Lucasfilm and the story people know she's a popular character so while I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't make it through Rebels, I'd also not be surprised if she does.

If you are referring to the battle of Yavin, I don't think it was a very long from the time they got to Yavin to the time the Death Star got there, and was destroyed. So if she was out on a mission or something she wouldn't have time to get back and help. I think the biggest problem would be why didn't she train Luke if she survived. Luke is searching for someone to help him, I'm sure someone would have said, there is a Jedi right there, go ask her.

graffix13

I'm not a fan of Ahsoka, but her dying before A New Hope would be a fitting end to her character IMO.

Vader needs to kill her. Or she makes a sacrifice and dies a heroic death for the new Rebel alliance.

graffix13

Excerpt from Aftermath novel with interesting plot details. SPOILERS.

"No Sith remains. And the lone Jedi that exists--the son of Anakin Skywalker--possesses an untouchable soul. At least for now. We must instead move towards the dark side. Palpatine felt that the universe beyond the edges of our map was where his power came from. Over the many years he, with our aid, sent men and women beyond known space. They built labs and communication stations on distant moons, asteroids, out there in the wilds. We must follow them. Retreat from the Galaxy. Go out beyond the veil of stars. We must seek the source of the dark side like a man looking for a wellspring of water."

Exciting stuff. I wonder if
Snoke and the Knights of Ren are from beyond the outer rim and are some ancient evil that pre-dates both the Jedi and Sith. Maybe the elimination of the Sith 'awakened' him? But why did it take 30 years to respond?

Sulik2

The most exciting thing about those Aftermath leaks is they seemed to
imply a Thrawn like Imperial Admiral.
Please let him still exist.

Apologies if posted or asked. Those who are reading...

Am I reading too much into the type of gun used to shoot Wedge that it is described as "chrome"? I took that as a Phasma reference but thinking about it I'm not sure the timeline works. They just say it was an Admiral and the gun was unique or some such language.

I had chalked that up to one of the few possible TFA references but now I'm not sure.

Gravidee

Is there something regarding Boba Fett in the new Book? Or is he dead per ROTJ-canon?

I think something about his partially acid burnt armor being sold by some merchant, and then some guy taking it away. We still don't really know if he's dead or alive.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think something about his partially acid burnt armor being sold by some merchant, and then some guy taking it away. We still don't really know if he's dead or alive.

Cool. Thx.

So maybe...
the rumored Boba Fett exchange of the clone for another person for a Boba Solomovie was instead for a book?
Kinda shitty of true because I enjoyed the butthurt haters, but this would make a lot of sense.

Looks like Hasbro will be releasing the second wave of Force Awakens Black Series figures at the end of September/early October.

It's rumoured to be Poe, Phasma, Constable Zuvio and someone else.

I love this gif.

tumblr_nts7r5yiEr1rrjp39o2_540.gif
So its really Lukes old saber? I cant recall that it had a shaft for the laser over the laser releasethingy

The shaft is really different. Hm...

Hagi

Haha wow
really wouldn't want to be the guy sent to get that from the stomach of a sarlac. Maybe it was found outside near a dead one..

Looking forward to Force Friday then getting my hands on Atfermath and Shattered Empire in the coming weeks.

Cool. Thx.

So maybe...
the rumored Boba Fett exchange of the clone for another person for a Boba Solomovie was instead for a book?
Kinda shitty of true because I enjoyed the butthurt haters, but this would make a lot of sense.

But this wouldn't recton the Prequels. The original (bogus) rumor did.

Haha wow
really wouldn't want to be the guy sent to get that from the stomach of a sarlac. Maybe it was found outside near a dead one..

Looking forward to Force Friday then getting my hands on Atfermath and Shattered Empire in the coming weeks.

Unless someone
crawled out of the Sarlaac wearing it and discarded the armor.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But this wouldn't recton the Prequels. The original (bogus) rumor did.

Unless someone
crawled out of the Sarlaac wearing it and discarded the armor.
I meant the one who took Bobas Armor after the Jawas got it out of the Sarlac. Maybe someone will use it to pretend to be Boba.

Risgroo

I've only been watching Clone Wars for about a week, and I'm almost at episode 50 already. It just keeps getting better, and I can't stop watching! Legitimately upset that I didn't get into it sooner, but at least I get to binge-watch like crazy.

graffix13

I've only been watching Clone Wars for about a week, and I'm almost at episode 50 already. It just keeps getting better, and I can't stop watching! Legitimately upset that I didn't get into it sooner, but at least I get to binge-watch like crazy.

Same here. I wrote it off for being a kids show (it still is) but the stories and action are great. More violent than I expected too. Loving every minute of it. Glad I started at the beginning.

Is there going to be a new Darth Maul figure come Force Friday? Is there a detailed list/leak/reveal of what to expect anywhere?

Also regarding Maul, what's canon for him: markings are sith tattoos or just typical for his species making them just natural markings? I've heard both over the years. And what are the more worthwhile EU materials relating to him?

As you can imagine, I was a huge mark for Maul back during episode I and my dusty Darth Maul statue needs company and I'd like to get more material pertaining to him. Thanks.

graffix13

Is there going to be a new Darth Maul figure come Force Friday? Is there a detailed list/leak/reveal of what to expect anywhere?

Also regarding Maul, what's canon for him: markings are sith tattoos or just typical for his species making them just natural markings? I've heard both over the years. And what are the more worthwhile EU materials relating to him?

As you can imagine, I was a huge mark for Maul back during episode I and my dusty Darth Maul statue needs company and I'd like to get more material pertaining to him. Thanks.

Not sure on the markings (I think they are tats). But for canon stories for Maul, you need to watch The Clone Wars and read the Son of Dathomir series (comic book). All the other EU stuff with him doesn't count. Unless you don't mind the Legends stuff (and in that case not sure I can recommend much as I wasn't a huge fan).

Not sure on the markings (I think they are tats). But for canon stories for Maul, you need to watch The Clone Wars and read the Son of Dathomir series (comic book). All the other EU stuff with him doesn't count. Unless you don't mind the Legends stuff (and in that case not sure I can recommend much as I wasn't a huge fan).
I don't think they are any prequel era figures coming out on Friday, just Force Awakens characters and some Old Trilogy figures.

I don't think they are any prequel era figures coming out on Friday, just Force Awakens characters and some Old Trilogy figures.
Big thanks. Yeah this household is excited to start Clone Wars.

Top Bottom