• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

ghostmind

It's time to change your Force Friday shopping plans everyone!

XpdKYCw.jpg

You're going to love it. Although Maul doesn't
show up until S4
I HIGHLY recommend starting at the beginning of S1.
I'm not overly thrilled with what I've seen of Maul in Clone Wars but I'm looking forward to it overall.

It seems to me that he's become nothing more than kid brother status which makes him seem younger in comparison to Ep. I. But that's only after watching clips of "best lightsaber fights" and such. Guess I'll need some more context. I've also noticed a lack of the double ended saber...

What could they possible have? Star Wars patterned fabric?
My wife shops there all the time. They actually have neat trinkets and such that sometimes have better quality than figures. Who knows?

Speaking of wife and shopping... she's mildly interested in Disney infinity (but not the price tag). How does it work? I buy figures to unlock characters or can they be unlocked in game but buying grants instant access and abilities?

I kind of just want to buy the Yoda figure because, though. Looks great. Maul with pearly whites, however, does not.

MattyG

Banned
Wait, Titanium die-cast ships are coming back?! Oh shit, I used to love those. I wasn't in to collecting as a kid, but I got a yellow Eta-2 about 10 years ago or whenever those first appeared (and I think I still have it). Gonna have to pick some of these new ones up eventually.

Not sure on the markings (I think they are tats). But for canon stories for Maul, you need to watch The Clone Wars and read the Son of Dathomir series (comic book). All the other EU stuff with him doesn't count. Unless you don't mind the Legends stuff (and in that case not sure I can recommend much as I wasn't a huge fan).
Good luck getting Son of Dathomir though. The trade paperback is ridiculous on Amazon. $359.

Also Amazon has Aftermath for $16.80 right now for a hard cover. I don't know if that is a good price because I always buy audio books. It is dropped down from $28.

graffix13

I'm not overly thrilled with what I've seen of Maul in Clone Wars but I'm looking forward to it overall.

It seems to me that he's become nothing more than kid brother status which makes him seem younger in comparison to Ep. I. But that's only after watching clips of "best lightsaber fights" and such. Guess I'll need some more context. I've also noticed a lack of the double ended saber...

Hmm not really. From what I saw,
Savage
is definitely the weaker Zabrak and takes a backseat to Maul when he comes back. You're right about the double bladed lightsaber though....I don't remember seeing it.

EDIT: Also if you're wanting just to read Son of Dathomir, I would just buy it digitally from comixology. Unless you want the physical trade....but then you'll be paying out the nose for it.

Anyone read any of the old Republic Commando novels by Karen Traviss? I read the first three years ago when they were first released, but I found the fourth one Order 66 unread in a drawer the other day.

Karen Traviss really doesn't seem all that keen of Jedi. I can't recall thinking that after reading the first three but the entire book is very anti-Jedi. The clones seem to blame only the Jedi for the situation they find themselves in and that's before Order 66. There are some good characters in this series though and I enjoyed the relationship between the Mandalorian veterans and the clones they've trained. We praise the Clone Wars a lot for it's portrayal of the clones but this series did a really good job of that first.

And I really like this Paul Shipper Force Awakens poster. Thought I'd share it.

Republic Commandos is one of my fave Star Wars series. It was Clone Wars before the show. It faltered towards the end but overall it was great.

Anyone read any of the old Republic Commando novels by Karen Traviss? I read the first three years ago when they were first released, but I found the fourth one Order 66 unread in a drawer the other day.

Karen Traviss really doesn't seem all that keen of Jedi. I can't recall thinking that after reading the first three but the entire book is very anti-Jedi. The clones seem to blame only the Jedi for the situation they find themselves in and that's before Order 66. There are some good characters in this series though and I enjoyed the relationship between the Mandalorian veterans and the clones they've trained. We praise the Clone Wars a lot for it's portrayal of the clones but this series did a really good job of that first.

That's a great poster. It fits the style of the newer posters more.

MattyG

Banned
Fan trailer for Boba Fett film

https://vimeo.com/137925493

Costume and effects are good. Premise they came up with is stupid though.
Oh god, I saw this yesterday but I didn't see the plot until now. Jesus, that's so dumb. The visuals and tone of the trailer are awesome, but not everything needs to start happening right when TFA does. Besides, hadn't the New Republic been established for quite some time by that point?

Rootbeer

Banned
Awesome.

Jar Jar being frozen in carbonite needs to be canonized. Please.

And I'm still holding out hope that
JJ puts his bones in the desert somewhere in TFA

Actually the second teaser already showed us Jar Jar's funeral pyre... this is what R2 and the robed figure were kneeling in front of

sphagnum

Banned
So apparently this is the introduction of the mysterious
Fleet Admiral hiding in deep space to whom Rae Sloane reports
at the end of Aftermath:

There, staring out the window at the glowing Vulpinus Nebula, is the fleet admiral.
His hands behind his back. Humming a little. Something classical. Something from the Old Republic days. She listens a little: the Sestina of Imperator Vex, maybe.
"Sir," she says.
He holds up his finger. A sign for patience. He continues humming, his head swaying, until it reaches a small crescendo. Then, without turning toward her, he lowers his finger and says: "Yes, Admiral Sloane?"

I'm convinced that it has to be
Thrawn

So apparently this is the introduction of the mysterious
Fleet Admiral hiding in deep space to whom Rae Sloane reports
at the end of Aftermath:

There, staring out the window at the glowing Vulpinus Nebula, is the fleet admiral.
His hands behind his back. Humming a little. Something classical. Something from the Old Republic days. She listens a little: the Sestina of Imperator Vex, maybe.
"Sir," she says.
He holds up his finger. A sign for patience. He continues humming, his head swaying, until it reaches a small crescendo. Then, without turning toward her, he lowers his finger and says: "Yes, Admiral Sloane?"

I'm convinced that it has to be
Thrawn

That will please a lot of people.

Traviss has a ridiculous love for Mandalorians, she was a god to the Mando mercs costuming club. Was hillarious the meltdowns had by the community who love Mandos when the Clone Wars essentially shat all over Travis background fluff about Mandalorians.

sphagnum

Banned
Here's the villain from The Weapon of a Jedi, who appears to be (Does this really need to be spoiled? It's kind of minor. I guess I'll spoil it anyway)
Sarco Plank, who is getting a toy in the TFA line.
. This is from the back cover of the book.

eMxVo49.jpg

I am so lost on these novels. Where should someone start? I am mostly interested in anything that is new that bridges the gap between ROTJ and TFA

thanks guys!

graffix13

Here's the villain from The Weapon of a Jedi, who appears to be (Does this really need to be spoiled? It's kind of minor. I guess I'll spoil it anyway)
Sarco Plank, who is getting a toy in the TFA line.
. This is from the back cover of the book.

Interesting. Honestly I'm glad to see it's not
an Inquisitor or some other 'new dark jedi'

sphagnum

Banned
I am so lost on these novels. Where should someone start? I am mostly interested in anything that is new that bridges the gap between ROTJ and TFA

thanks guys!

So here's the breakdown of new canon books so far and the order that they take place in:

THE CLONE WARS
Dark Disciple - Quinlan Vos is assigned to convince Asajj Ventress help him assassinate Count Dooku

DARK TIMES
Lords of the Sith - Vader and Sheev forced to survive on Ryloth after they are stranded
Tarkin - Tarkin and Vader have to work together to recover Tarkin's personal ship after rebels steal it
A New Dawn - Kanan and Hera first meet as they try to prevent Count Vidian from destroying the planet Gorse
Ezra's Gamble - Ezra gets stuck being Bossk's sidekick
Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy - Zare Leonis begins his studies in the imperial academy system but becomes sympathetic to the rebels
Servants of the Empire: Rebel in the Ranks - Zare meets Ezra
Servants of the Empire: Imperial Justice - Zare and everyone else have mental breakdowns as everything gets terrible
Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy - Zare heads off to Arkanis

GALACTIC CIVIL WAR
Smuggler's Run - Han and Chewie are sent on a mission by the Alliance after the Battle of Yavin
Heir to the Jedi - Luke is sent on a mission to rescue a Givin hacker
The Weapon of a Jedi - Luke is drawn to a mysterious planet and has his first lightsaber duel
Battlefront: Twilight Company - Eighteen months into the war as the Rebel vanguard unit tries to hold the line in the Mid-Rim
Moving Target - Leia goes on a mission inbetween ESB and RotJ

POST-OT
Aftermath - Wedge is captured on Akiva during a conference by imperial officers while a rebel pilot named Norra Wexley tries to rescue him, with interludes from other planets to show the state of the galaxy at this time
Lost Stars - Star-crossed love story about two pilots in the Imperial Academy, one who turns to the Rebellion

Lost Stars actually spans the Dark Times, GCW, and Post-OT, ending after Aftermath. Smuggler's Run, The Weapon of a Jedi, and Moving Target have prologues and epilogues that take place shortly before TFA, but they're just framing devices with the actual stories taking place during the GCW.

graffix13

So here's the breakdown of new canon books so far and the order that they take place in:

THE CLONE WARS
Dark Disciple - Quinlan Vos is assigned to convince Asajj Ventress help him assassinate Count Dooku

DARK TIMES
Lords of the Sith - Vader and Sheev forced to survive on Ryloth after they are stranded
Tarkin - Tarkin and Vader have to work together to recover Tarkin's personal ship after rebels steal it
A New Dawn - Kanan and Hera first meet as they try to prevent Count Vidian from destroying the planet Gorse
Ezra's Gamble - Ezra gets stuck being Bossk's sidekick
Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy - Zare Leonis begins his studies in the imperial academy system but becomes sympathetic to the rebels
Servants of the Empire: Rebel in the Ranks - Zare meets Ezra
Servants of the Empire: Imperial Justice - Zare and everyone else have mental breakdowns as everything gets terrible
Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy - Zare heads off to Arkanis

GALACTIC CIVIL WAR
Smuggler's Run - Han and Chewie are sent on a mission by the Alliance after the Battle of Yavin
Heir to the Jedi - Luke is sent on a mission to rescue a Givin hacker
The Weapon of a Jedi - Luke is drawn to a mysterious planet and has his first lightsaber duel
Battlefront: Twilight Company - Eighteen months into the war as the Rebel vanguard unit tries to hold the line in the Mid-Rim
Moving Target - Leia goes on a mission inbetween ESB and RotJ

POST-OT
Aftermath - Wedge is captured on Akiva during a conference by imperial officers while a rebel pilot named Norra Wexley tries to rescue him, with interludes from other planets to show the state of the galaxy at this time
Lost Stars - Star-crossed love story about two pilots in the Imperial Academy, one who turns to the Rebellion

Lost Stars actually spans the Dark Times, GCW, and Post-OT, ending after Aftermath. Smuggler's Run, The Weapon of a Jedi, and Moving Target have prologues and epilogues that take place shortly before TFA, but they're just framing devices with the actual stories taking place during the GCW.

Great, thanks. I'd like to read Dark Disciple and Aftermath the most if I could find the time.

I assume this is old news to everyone else, but the Marvel Darth Vader book is great! I've only read the first two issues so far, but man, this is awesome.

sphagnum

Banned
I assume this is old news to everyone else, but the Marvel Darth Vader book is great! I've only read the first two issues so far, but man, this is awesome.

It's going to take a turn in another direction shortly. Some people like it, some people don't. I think it's better than the main Star Wars comic though.

I think it's cool to see that side of the story... I always wondered why Vader seems like just another high ranking Imperial in ANH but not the second in command he seems to be in Empire and Jedi, and it feels like this takes that into account. To paraphrase Leia from the movie, he's like a mad attack dog who needs his leash held by somebody.And the fact that Palpatine didn't know that Obi Wan had resurfaced on Death Star 1 because Vader kept it under his hat kinda makes sense to me.

Gravidee

Awesome.

Jar Jar being frozen in carbonite needs to be canonized. Please.

And I'm still holding out hope that
JJ puts his bones in the desert somewhere in TFA

Believe it or not but as I'm showing my younger cousin Star Wars and The Clone Wars in chronological order for her first viewing of the series, Jar Jar is one of her favourite characters. So at least one person would be quite dismayed if the bones in the desert plan had gone through...

Fj0823

Believe it or not but as I'm showing my younger cousin Star Wars and The Clone Wars in chronological order for her first viewing of the series, Jar Jar is one of her favourite characters. So at least one person would be quite dismayed if the bones in the desert plan had gone through...

My mom loves Jar Jar too, that's two.

ghostmind

It's also incredibly hard to watch. Good luck with the next 18 hours.

A test of fortitude. One of the main hosts is already grating on the nerves, and we haven't even gotten to the YouTube "celebrities".

EDIT: I think the hosts may have been smoking up in the green room before the show.

graffix13

My mom loves Jar Jar too, that's two.

Being completely honest, Jar Jar didn't annoy me that much in TPM (and I was 22 when I first saw it in '99). My hate for him has come after watching TCW. I can't stand that mother fucker now.

El Topo

Jar Jar isn't that bad. He's a comic relief character that gets too much time in Episode I and is a bit too goofy, but he's not that horrendous.

graffix13

So currently watching TCW on Netflix, but I really want to own the blu ray's of every one of them. I bought the S1-S5 set. Just need S6 and the stand alone movie.

Why is the price so high on the movie? I guess because it's OOP? Anyone know if they plan on re-releasing this? I really don't want to pay $65+ for a new sealed copy. I could always go the used route but I'll leave that as my last option.

Tizoc

So I've decided what the 'preparing for SW Ep. 7' watching order will be in case any of my brothers want to watch SW by this December, which I am certain they will-
1- star wars despecialized
2- Clone Wars 2D series
3- Clone Wars 3D series

There they're ready for the movie now~

Cheebo

Banned
March seems kinda late.

edit: Shit, went to the site to discover the details: They come from an untranscribed half-hour interview completely in Spanish.

I'm catching like every 16th word.

Movie starts shooting in November I believe so March is pretty far out. March 2016 is barely one year before the release date.

Top Bottom