• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Hagi

Solo C-3P0 comic incoming

COFerRtWUAA_-JC.jpg

huh I thought that would be explained in the film. All the comics so far have been fantastic though (expect Leia which I haven't read) so whatever, I'm in like Finn.

Simo

I'm not even sure what you're referring to on that page.

edit: Oh, shit, wait. The character descriptions at the bottom.

Yeah. There's spoilers down there.

Yeah sorry should of been clearer. Clicking some of the costume links for characters also go in to some detail too.

Yeah, that shit is pretty detailed for no real reason. "Here's when X character was born"

Like, why do you need to know that to wear the damn costume?

Hagi

Yeah, that shit is pretty detailed for no real reason. "Here's when X character was born"

Like, why do you need to know that to wear the damn costume?

Rey from Star Wars The Force Awakens is about all the detail you need to for a Halloween costume

I had to stop myself from reading Finns even though I'm sure it's nothing that revealing

MattyG

Banned
Just got my copy of Aftermath. It's a small detail, but I really like the cover, and I'm glad they're mixing it up with the color of the hardback. I hope they move away from all black all the time from now on. Maybe Battlefront can have a grey cover or something.

Now I just have to finish Lords of the Sith so I can move on to Aftermath.

Also, apparently Lost Stars is like 550 pages. I believe that'd make it the longest SW book released yet in the new canon, and it's not even an adult novel. Can't wait to give that one a read too.

Just got my copy of Aftermath. It's a small detail, but I really like the cover, and I'm glad they're mixing it up with the color of the hardback. I hope they move away from all black all the time from now on. Maybe Battlefront can have a grey cover or something.

Also, apparently Lost Stars is like 550 pages. I believe that'd make it the longest SW book released yet in the new canon, and it's not even an adult novel. Can't wait to give that one a read too.
Yeah, I've got Lost Stars pre-ordered so hopefully I should get it soon. Aftermath isn't out until the 10th here so I'll probably start it first. The story sounds good.

Hagi

I have Aftermath preordered for next week as well. I really want to read Weapon of a Jedi but it seems like something is borked with the release of the hardcovers of the three YA books in the UK because Amazon has it listed for release on the 4th but they won't be shipping my copy till the end of the month. I want that Noto cover! :/

I have Aftermath preordered for next week as well. I really want to read Weapon of a Jedi but it seems like something is borked with the release of the hardcovers of the three YA books in the UK because Amazon has it listed for release on the 4th but they won't be shipping my copy till the end of the month. I want that Noto cover! :/
Yeah, I've held off on them for now. Speedyhen, who I usually use, don't have the hardcovers and they're a bit too steep on Amazon.

For anyone who has got to that point in Aftermath, chapter 2 I think, has anyone noticed
he is playing Settlers of Catan: Star Wars Edition?
. It's not really a spoiler, just a small detail I liked and thought was funny. Nothing involving plot or anything.

MattyG

Banned
I'm so tempted to start Aftermath but I still have 100 pages left in Lords of the Sith. I'm trying to power through it in the next couple hours, but I can barely keep my eyes open.

I just hit the point where
Vader and the Emperor crash land on Ryloth and Cham and Isval and the rest of the Free Ryloth gang are going to search for them.
Does the pace slow down for a bit here or pick up?

I'm so tempted to start Aftermath but I still have 100 pages left in Lords of the Sith. I'm trying to power through it in the next couple hours, but I can barely keep my eyes open.

Vader and the Emperor crash land on Ryloth and Cham and Isval and the rest of the Free Ryloth gang are going to search for them.
I felt like it slowed down for a bit, then picked up towards the end. I found it a little hard to push through the slow bit. But its worth it.

Be strong, finish Lords of the Sith first.

Tapejara

I had Aftermath on pre-order, but canceled it recently as I still haven't finished Dark Disciple.

It definitely picks up. You get some great interactions between Vader and Sidious - which are the best parts of the book.

MattyG

Banned
I felt like it slowed down for a bit, then picked up towards the end. I found it a little hard to push through the slow bit. But its worth it.

Be strong, finish Lords of the Sith first.

I had Aftermath on pre-order, but canceled it recently as I still haven't finished Dark Disciple.

It definitely picks up. You get some great interactions between Vader and Sidious - which are the best parts of the book.
Well I guess I'll finish it tonight then. Only about 60 pages left now.

Damn, Kemp really loves describing how Vader "fell into/was enmeshed in the Force and unleashed an X of power", huh?

Edit: GAHHH, fuck that word! Enmeshed this, enmeshed that, Jesus give it a break!

Jimbro72

Lost Stars is indeed 550 pages but don't be completely fooled by that thinking it's a much longer book than the other hardcover novels. I just got mine today, along with Aftermath and 4 other new SW releases and the book dimensions are smaller than the typical SW hardcover plus the font used on each page seem a bit bigger than usual with way fewer lines on a page (for example, Dark Disciple has 34 lines a page, Lost Stars only 26 lines). So I'm thinking you could breeze through this just as quickly as a 300-350 page regular sized SW hardcover.

MattyG

Banned
Lost Stars is indeed 550 pages but don't be completely fooled by that thinking it's a much longer book than the other hardcover novels. I just got mine today, along with Aftermath and 4 other new SW releases and the book dimensions are smaller than the typical SW hardcover plus the font used on each page seem a bit bigger than usual with way fewer lines on a page (for example, Dark Disciple has 34 lines a page, Lost Stars only 26 lines). So I'm thinking you could breeze through this just as quickly as a 300-350 page regular sized SW hardcover.
Ahhhh, I was curious about how it would compare in terms of font size and stuff like that. It's a little disappointing that it's physically smaller (I think the adult novel size is perfect), but as long as it's a good story I'm still in!

And how do the three middle school level releases comapare to the adult novels in terms of dimensions and font size? Similar to Lost Stars?

I found the dimensions on Amazon. Not too bad, only an inch to and inch and a half difference in height and width.

Jimbro72

Ahhhh, I was curious about how it would compare in terms of font size and stuff like that. It's a little disappointing that it's physically smaller (I think the adult novel size is perfect), but as long as it's a good story I'm still in!

And how do the three middle school level releases comapare to the adult novels in terms of dimensions and font size? Similar to Lost Stars?

You mean The Weapon of a Jedi, Moving Target and Smugglers Run? Yes, I did get the hardcover versions of those 3 books for my collection. Dimension wise, they are almost exactly the same as Lost Stars, maybe an 1/8" taller but same width. But about 3/4" shorter than say Dark Disciple. Font size is same as Lost Stars and also 26 lines per page. They're 183-231 pages in length, so they'll be relatively quick reads but hopefully entertaining nonetheless.

sphagnum

Banned
Damn, Kemp really loves describing how Vader "fell into/was enmeshed in the Force and unleashed an X of power", huh?

Edit: GAHHH, fuck that word! Enmeshed this, enmeshed that, Jesus give it a break!

This and talking about Vader's "preternatural speed" were the most annoying things in that book.

MattyG

Banned
Aaaaaaand that's a wrap on LotS.

You mean The Weapon of a Jedi, Moving Target and Smugglers Run? Yes, I did get the hardcover versions of those 3 books for my collection. Dimension wise, they are almost exactly the same as Lost Stars, maybe an 1/8" taller but same width. But about 3/4" shorter than say Dark Disciple. Font size is same as Lost Stars and also 26 lines per page. They're 183-231 pages in length, so they'll be relatively quick reads but hopefully entertaining nonetheless.
Awesome! Can't wait for them to get here too! Hopefully I'll have Aftermath finished by then so I can just roll on into those 4.

This and talking about Vader's "preternatural speed" were the most annoying things in that book.
Yup, the little phrases that he uses over and over again are so distracting. I'm about 20 pages from the end and I've started rolling my eyes when I read anything about how Vader augments himself with the Force or enmeshes with it or whatever. Great book, but there's so many little annoying little quirks with the writing.

So I work a late 2nd shift (off at 2 am) only thing open near me after work last night was meijer and Walmart and I refuse to shop at Sam Waltons prison camp, and meijer was picked clean there were some cheap sabers, die cast tie and falcons, and some 12 inch kylo ren and troopers

I'm not a collector by any means I have no " only black series are worth getting" mentality, so I tried to buy the 12 inch kylo but was told it was recalled at the register

Today was better, went to target, ended up buying the 12 inch kylo and flame trooper, adult kylo mask ( for Halloween I make custom sabers so that's my next project) and lego poe's x wing, they let me use the $25 off 100 coupon even though it wasn't supposed to include lego's.

Also got Aftermath on audible (oddly enough was rushing through lords of the sith before this, and just finished the darth bane trilogy which was my first Star Wars novels). About halfway though Aftermath, and building the x wing and it's good but the structure I'm not a huge fan of

Mideon

Interested in Aftermath and Lords of The Sith but have non of the other new books should I go through Tarkin and Dark Desciple etc or just go straight to Sith?

Zombine

Banned
Aftermath is interesting, because at its heart there is an awesome story there about Wedge, the formation of the New Republic, and seeing what's going on in a post-emperor Galaxy, but I can't help but feel like the non-Wedge chapters are kind of horribly written. Tried to read chapter 3 last night and I genuinely didn't know what was going on, but I could pick out good bits here and there.

So far it's uneven, but my hype is still real.

Please don't let this be the Wedge swan song either. I don't think I'll be happy if they just decide to wipe the slate clean and kill off all of our favorite characters just because.

Aftermath is interesting, because at its heart there is an awesome story there about Wedge, the formation of the New Republic, and seeing what's going on in a post-emperor Galaxy, but I can't help but feel like the non-Wedge chapters are kind of horribly written. Tried to read chapter 3 last night and I genuinely didn't know what was going on, but I could pick out good bits here and there.

So far it's uneven, but my hype is still real.

Please don't let this be the Wedge swan song either. I don't think I'll be happy if they just decide to wipe the slate clean and kill off all of our favorite characters just because.

I expect they'll kill him off at some point in the thirty year gap. Whether it'll happen in the Aftermath trilogy is another story.

Zombine

Banned
Hey guys, I'm going to try to be quiet about this and I'll let you get your preorders in before they go down again, but Amiami.com is taking preorders for Kylo Ren/Stormtrooper/Obi Wan Figuarts again. Get on that now and combine it with your monthly order.

Cheebo

Banned
Abrams wanted Dennis Lawson back as Wedge in The Firce Awakens if you did not know. Lawson refused because he hates Star Wars.

Cheebo

Banned
If I remember right he was asked why he turned Abrams down when Abrams called him personally to ask him to return as Wedge in TFA he said It would have bored him and Star Wars is just nonsense kids stuff. He has no love for the franchise or Wedge at all.

If I remember right he was asked why he turned Abrams down when Abrams called him personally to ask him to return as Wedge in TFA he said It would have bored him and Star Wars is just nonsense kids stuff. He has no love for the franchise or Wedge at all.

Yep.

Although not a major character, Denis Lawson's commander played a vital role in both Death Star attacks - but the actor has rejected an offer to reprise his role in the latest movie in the saga .

He told The Courier: "I'm not going to do that. They asked me but it just would have bored me."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/star-wars-7-denis-lawson-3535688

MattyG

Banned
Aftermath is such a nice change of pace after reading Tarkin and LotS. I hope no one uses the whole "small rebellion that isn't the Rebellion vs Vader and 1 other Imperial high up" setup for a while.

Aftermath is such a nice change of pace after reading Tarkin and LotS. I hope no one uses the whole "small rebellion that isn't the Rebellion vs Vader and 1 other Imperial high up" setup for a while.
Those small rebellions might just be cells of the larger, then unorganized rebellion. We don't have too much canon information yet on the foundation of the Alliance.

Top Bottom