• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

I think it might be the EU Legends guys (they got clowned pretty hard on the most recent show). Or people still mad that I called out RebelForce Radio a couple weeks ago for being dumb about Simon Pegg.

Or it's just three people who are like "Fuck that guy. He looks like Damon Lindelof."

(I was told that earlier today. Unsure how to take it)
I guess I can kind of see it. Sort of.

Gravidee

The answer is, in fact, no.

Captain Tarpals does okay for himself, though.

I mean, if you were wondering about Captain Tarpals.

It could be a thing that happened. Once.

Ah, Captain Tarpals,
one of the few respectable gungans that meets an honorable, but ultimately needless end in Shadow Warrior. Seriously, he sacrificed himself for absolutely nothing.

Tapejara

Essential Episode lists for The Clone Wars bug me. The only arc that I'd say is actually not worth anyone's time is the one with the little general and all of the droids. Talk about killing the pacing of Season 5.

Just finished watching it too. It was great. I was hoping someone would post it. I was looking for it since Bobby said he would be on. Good job.

Still need to finish up Aftermath but I decided to give this a look.

So (planet name)
Taris
has been introduced back into continuity? Or did it pop up in Clone Wars at some point?
I don't remember it being mentioned in Clone Wars. When I got to the point in the book, I was wondering if it was the first canon mention of it too. If I remember it right the audio book pronounced it in a way that felt a little off.

Cheebo

Banned
Exactly like that.

Man, why couldn't they have made a 5-season Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series? I don't mind the CG terribly, but Jesus Christ, these people need to learn how to do textures.
Tartakovsky was left to do what he wanted. On a major series it would be Lucas calling the shots, as was the case on the cgi series. A 5 season 2D series would never resemble the mini-series. The only reason the 2D series was the way it was was it was short enough and low profile enough that Lucas wasn't interested in running the show.

It was done to be mini little episodes during commercial breaks to hype up the upcoming Episode III.

Zombine

Banned
You know...I can genuinely say that I like Bobby Roberts. It took me a quick minute to sort of figure out his "online voice" because it comes off as very matter of fact and sort of cold, but he seems nice as hell and worth listening to in his podcasts and that CNN interview was superb. One thing that I can say as a radio asshole is that I do enjoy his voice, and I respect that he doesn't play anything up like I've found some of my peers do.

Keep on being Bobby, because you've made me appreciate Star Wars in a different light. You've carved yourself a neat galaxy sized niche.

Got both the Kylo Ren shuttle and black Poe X-Wing from DisneyStore.com today.

The Poe X-Wing is a little..little. And something just looks off. I do like the color and little BB-8.

But this thing! Love it (next to 3.75" Phasma for reference). It looks menacing and for some reason makes me uncomfortable how high those wings go straight up.

vfiHmtul.jpg

I always wondered why Bobbys online persona name was "Fatboy Roberts".

Childhood nickname. I used to weigh 245 pounds. It stuck for a very long time. The name mighta died earlier if I hadn't gotten into broadcasting, but once I was there (and radio almost always demands some sort of nickname or alias) it came with.

Zombine: Thanks for that! I really appreciate it.

MattyG

Banned
Still need to finish up Aftermath but I decided to give this a look.

So (planet name)
Taris
has been introduced back into continuity? Or did it pop up in Clone Wars at some point?

I don't remember it being mentioned in Clone Wars. When I got to the point in the book, I was wondering if it was the first canon mention of it too. If I remember it right the audio book pronounced it in a way that felt a little off.
It was mentioned in Tarkin as well. Wookiepedia says that's the first new canon mention of it.

Zombine

Banned
Zombine: Thanks for that! I really appreciate it.

No problem brother! I'll be steering some of my coworkers toward the podcast.

But on the topic of Star Wars novels, what's the deal with these:

Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure https://www.amazon.com/dp/1484724968/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks like there are three of them so far, but I haven't heard a whole lot about them other than the fact that Phil Noto (Comic Artist) does the cover art. Are they worth my time or should I pass on the set? At $21 I borderline feel like even if they suck I won't outright hate them.

I'm hearing some good things about all of the YA novels. Not the least of which is that they appear to be better written than most of the other new canon, except for maybe Aftermath.

Zombine

Banned
I'm hearing some good things about all of the YA novels. Not the least of which is that they appear to be better written than most of the other new canon, except for maybe Aftermath.

Order placed. I'll definitely gonna pick them up.

I know the new books have ranged from bad to serviceable, but Tarkin will always have a special place in my heart for the fact that the entire first chapter is about the dude getting dressed.

Sayers

Essential Episode lists for The Clone Wars bug me. The only arc that I'd say is actually not worth anyone's time is the one with the little general and all of the droids. Talk about killing the pacing of Season 5.

Some of R2's trolling was funny but it's pretty useless otherwise. I would say several of the Padme episodes are really boring. Other than that the whole series is great and I really don't get the "Season 3 is when it gets good" mentality.

No problem brother! I'll be steering some of my coworkers toward the podcast.

But on the topic of Star Wars novels, what's the deal with these:

Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure https://www.amazon.com/dp/1484724968/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks like there are three of them so far, but I haven't heard a whole lot about them other than the fact that Phil Noto (Comic Artist) does the cover art. Are they worth my time or should I pass on the set? At $21 I borderline feel like even if they suck I won't outright hate them.
I haven't bought the other three yet but Lost Stars has been really enjoyable.

Are they all YA? My local Barnes & Noble had Lost Stars in the teen section, but the rest were in the kids department. I'm not surprised that they're good, though. Especially since one is written by Greg Rucka.

MattyG

Banned
Are they all YA? My local Barnes & Noble had Lost Stars in the teen section, but the rest were in the kids department. I'm not surprised that they're good, though. Especially since one is written by Greg Rucka.
Lost Stars is YA, the other three are middle school level.

Meowster

Is there any word on who is replacing Official Pix? I used to use them all the time to collect random Star Wars stills and saw that they will not be continuing.

PBalfredo

Random thought: Did Mark Hamill ever do any voice acting for any Star Wars games? I seem to recall a lot of sound-a-likes used for most established characters in games, but Mark has made a name for himself since Star Wars in voice acting.

Just finished Shattered Empire and I really can't wait for the next issue. I have a chapter and a half left of Aftermath and I'm really enjoying it. I don't like the name
New Republic though, I know it was mentioned in Battlefront, but I think it is really unoriginal. I thought with starting over they could name it something else.
Also I've always thought the calendar should be based off the foundation of the Empire, or the fall of the Empire, instead of centered around the battle of Yavin.

Tapejara

Random thought: Did Mark Hamill ever do any voice acting for any Star Wars games? I seem to recall a lot of sound-a-likes used for most established characters in games, but Mark has made a name for himself since Star Wars in voice acting.

I just did a quick look at his IMDB page, and apparently he never has. Also, apparently he was Majima in the English dub of Yakuza.

You know...I can genuinely say that I like Bobby Roberts. It took me a quick minute to sort of figure out his "online voice" because it comes off as very matter of fact and sort of cold, but he seems nice as hell and worth listening to in his podcasts and that CNN interview was superb. One thing that I can say as a radio asshole is that I do enjoy his voice, and I respect that he doesn't play anything up like I've found some of my peers do.

Keep on being Bobby, because you've made me appreciate Star Wars in a different light. You've carved yourself a neat galaxy sized niche.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. On here at times he comes of as a bit of a wanker, but I think that's his straight as an arrow approach to things. Dude's hardly ever wrong too.

Great CNN interview Bobby. Keep up the good work.

Edit Re-read my post and it may come off the wrong way. I'm more agreeing with Zombine that Bobby is alright.

graffix13

So catching up on the Darth Vader comic series, and I just finished #4. Question though...

How was the Geonosian Queen able to mind control the old B1 Battle Droids? It looked like they were fused with part organic Geonosian...anatomy (wings) with their droid frame. And was she laying eggs from which they were hatching? I like the idea ok, I just don't understand how it worked.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Halfway through reading Aftermath, and I can't decide if I like this or not. Feels like the over arching plot is legit, but the writers execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. On here at times he comes of as a bit of a wanker, but I think that's his straight as an arrow approach to things.

Well, I'm also actually a bit of a wanker, too.

For real though, (and it's unfair to ask anyone to do this, which is why I don't, and why I sometimes overexplain the shit out of myself to try to mitigate any misunderstanding) hearing how I talk helps in "translating" how my posts read. Because I basically write more or less exactly how I talk, and you can tell via any number of the podcasts I've appeared on that I'm never taking any of this shit that seriously, and if anything I say springboards off to a joke of any kind (especially at my own expense - so long as it's decent) I'm all for it.

I think a lot of the weird, ugly disagreements that have caved in my shins during my time on this board have come mostly from people reading my posts, and hearing a much more aggressive, angry voice in their head, as opposed to the shit you just saw on CNN.

Except for those times when I am just being a bit of a wanker.

Well, I'm also actually a bit of a wanker, too.

For real though, (and it's unfair to ask anyone to do this, which is why I don't, and why I sometimes overexplain the shit out of myself to try to mitigate any misunderstanding) hearing how I talk helps in "translating" how my posts read. Because I basically write more or less exactly how I talk, and you can tell via any number of the podcasts I've appeared on that I'm never taking any of this shit that seriously, and if anything I say springboards off to a joke of any kind (especially at my own expense - so long as it's decent) I'm all for it.

I think a lot of the weird, ugly disagreements that have caved in my shins during my time on this board have come mostly from people reading my posts, and hearing a much more aggressive, angry voice in their head, as opposed to the shit you just saw on CNN.

Except for those times when I am just being a bit of a wanker.
Yeah, of course I'm guilty of doing it as well from time to time, but I don't understand why people are so quick to apply a tone when reading posts. 99% of the time, if you just don't instigate an aggressive response out of them, the shitty tone you're assuming they have turns out to be in your head and they didn't mean anything by it.

But then, yeah, sometimes people are just assholes. Haha, can't avoid that.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Halfway through reading Aftermath, and I can't decide if I like this or not. Feels like the over arching plot is legit, but the writers execution leaves a lot to be desired.

I finished it, and I still agree with the last part of your post. All of the pieces are there, it's just so disjointed. Some memorable moments and characters held back by occasional cliche'd "twists" and bizarre structuring.

Amy suggested on the last show that maybe the best way to read the damn thing was to just skip every interlude until the very end of the actual story, and then go through and read all the interludes in one go.

I do hope they were kept simply because they were already written and editorial just liked them too much to cut them, rather than insisted upon regardless what they did to the forward motion of Wendig's narrative.

Rootbeer

Banned
4 second wave 6" Black Series figures are now up on Amazon. Phasma, Poe, Deadpool, and the constable alien.

THANK YOU!!!

I have been watching for these but have been too distracted by amiibo stuff this morning

Just ordered all 4

--

LINKS

6" Captain Phasma http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WO09XFC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
6" Poe Dameron http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WO09XB6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
6" Constable Zuvio http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WO0A0WC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
6" Guavian Enforcer http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WO09XRK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Amy suggested on the last show that maybe the best way to read the damn thing was to just skip every interlude until the very end of the actual story, and then go through and read all the interludes in one go.

I do hope they were kept simply because they were already written and editorial just liked them too much to cut them, rather than insisted upon regardless what they did to the forward motion of Wendig's narrative.
I think the interludes would have been better off as short stories in Star Wars Insider or on Starwars.com. But I think having them in the book increased the number of people who would read them. Or maybe they should have included a couple at the end of Aftermath, and put others with the other new books, like Lost Stars. Like they are doing with the short stories they are adding to Tarkin/Lords of the Sith.

THANK YOU!!!

I have been watching for these but have been too distracted by amiibo stuff this morning

Just ordered all 4

--

LINKS

6" Captain Phasma http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WO09XFC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
6" Poe Dameron http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WO09XB6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
6" Constable Zuvio http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WO0A0WC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
6" Guavian Enforcer http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WO09XRK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Poe looks more like Benicio Del Toro than Isaac. Definitely buying Phasma when she's up for pre-order here but I can't say the rest of the wave's all that inspiring.

Well, there it is: The first Star Wars figure I've bought in a very long time.

Black Series Phasma will occupy a spot next to the monitor here at work.

graffix13

I'm trying very hard to resist the urge to buy any Star Wars figures. Because I know once I start, it will be hard to stop.

Those Black Series figures though...calling me...

Rumor source is HiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiIIIIghly fuckin dubious.
I think it's pretty likely there'll be some kind of Rogue One tease. People almost expect them after major blockbusters now and with a film coming every year for the foreseeable future it makes sense to me. But yeah, large grain of salt.

I think it's pretty likely there'll be some kind of Rogue One tease. People almost expect them after major blockbusters now and with a film coming every year for the foreseeable future it makes sense to me. But yeah, large grain of salt.

I agree. Disney's obviously pleased with how the Marvel Cinematic Universe has turned out for them, and this would be a very simple hype builder they could lift from it.

I agree. Disney's obviously pleased with how the Marvel Cinematic Universe has turned out for them, and this would be a very simple hype builder they could lift from it.
I think a better place for it would be before the movie. You know, where trailers/teasers belong. Most of the general audience won't think to sit through the credits, because this is Star Wars, not Marvel. So to maximize the exposure they should put it out front.

I think a better place for it would be before the movie. You know, where trailers/teasers belong. Most of the general audience won't think to sit through the credits, because this is Star Wars, not Marvel. So to maximize the exposure they should put it out front.

Maybe. But clearly there's something to putting it at the end, just for the fanboys. Plus, with the Marvel movies, it's usually just an epilogue to what you watched. A Rogue One teaser at the end of Episode VII wouldn't be the same thing you'd get in a regular trailer, but rather would be a brief scene that somehow ties the events of Episode VII in to Rogue One.

Top Bottom