• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Maybe. But clearly there's something to putting it at the end, just for the fanboys. Plus, with the Marvel movies, it's usually just an epilogue to what you watched. A Rogue One teaser at the end of Episode VII wouldn't be the same thing you'd get in a regular trailer, but rather would be a brief scene that somehow ties the events of Episode VII in to Rogue One.

Rogue One is set in the hours right before A New Hope, more than 30 years before Episode VII.

Metalmarc

Maybe. But clearly there's something to putting it at the end, just for the fanboys. Plus, with the Marvel movies, it's usually just an epilogue to what you watched. A Rogue One teaser at the end of Episode VII wouldn't be the same thing you'd get in a regular trailer, but rather would be a brief scene that somehow ties the events of Episode VII in to Rogue One.

you do realise Rogue One ties into Episode 4 - A New Hope and not episode into rogue one right?

7 just leads to 8

Well, I'm also actually a bit of a wanker, too.

For real though, (and it's unfair to ask anyone to do this, which is why I don't, and why I sometimes overexplain the shit out of myself to try to mitigate any misunderstanding) hearing how I talk helps in "translating" how my posts read. Because I basically write more or less exactly how I talk, and you can tell via any number of the podcasts I've appeared on that I'm never taking any of this shit that seriously, and if anything I say springboards off to a joke of any kind (especially at my own expense - so long as it's decent) I'm all for it.

I think a lot of the weird, ugly disagreements that have caved in my shins during my time on this board have come mostly from people reading my posts, and hearing a much more aggressive, angry voice in their head, as opposed to the shit you just saw on CNN.

Except for those times when I am just being a bit of a wanker.

We can all be wankers at times. I agree that people are probably just hearing a different voice when reading your posts. I've done this before, not that any have been directed at me. You're good people Bobby.

Rogue One is set in the hours right before A New Hope, more than 30 years before Episode VII.

you do realise Rogue One ties into Episode 4 - A New Hope and not episode into rogue one right?

7 just leads to 8

I presume they'll be tied together somehow, especially if a post-credits teaser is used. Perhaps a young character in Rogue One goes on to play a role as a much older character in Episode VII, or something to that effect. Or maybe the post-credits teaser is in Episode VII's timeline, but somehow flashes back to events of Rogue One.

If they aren't tied together in any way, then sure, it doesn't seem like it would be necessary to make it a post-credits teaser.

Hagi

I agree. Disney's obviously pleased with how the Marvel Cinematic Universe has turned out for them, and this would be a very simple hype builder they could lift from it.

It's Star Wars the movies mere existence is a very simple hype builder. No post credits scenes please, dear god no.

StarWars.com has today announced plans to release The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens this December. Written by Phil Szostak, it apparently, "takes you from the earliest gathering of artists and production designers at Lucasfilm headquarters in San Francisco to the fever pitch of production at Pinewood Studios to the conclusion of postproduction at Industrial Light & Magic." In order to not reveal any spoilers, the book won't hit stores until December 18th, the same day the movie is released in North America. Featuring interviews with the creative team behind the movie, it promises never before seen, "works of art that include production paintings, concept sketches, storyboards, blueprints, and matte paintings." I want it, and I want it now. For now, enjoy the gorgeous cover art by the amazing Doug Chaing.

TheArtOfSWTFA_Cover_8_26-1024x950.jpg

HEADER_IMAGE_ONLY1-1536x864.jpg

I don't think a post-credits teaser for any Star Wars movie is likely at all. Marvel is Marvel. Lucasfilm is Lucasfilm. The two, so far, don't seem to operate the same at all, and I don't think Disney - even if they gave a shit whether or not Marvel sticks goofy little teases in the middle and the end of their credits - would ask Lucasfilm to do it.

The closest there's ever been to a "stinger" in any Star Wars is Vader breathing at the end of Episode I's credits.

UGH so I want to start reading some of these new EU novels but I don't know, guys. Every time I'm considering opening one up I see a negative review somewhere or the first page of the book just doesn't feel right.

Convince me to start either A New Dawn, Tarkin or Aftermath please.

Meowster

UGH so I want to start reading some of these new EU novels but I don't know, guys. Every time I'm considering opening one up I see a negative review somewhere or the first page of the book just doesn't feel right.

Tarkin and Dark Disciple are fantastic. Most of the others have been disappointing despite having good scenarios.

MattyG

Banned
I keep thinking about the idea of a live action Star Wars TV show and it just makes me giddy. It has to happen eventually, right?

Tarkin was really great, it shows a really cool dynamic between Tarkin's cold military tactics and Vader's more hands-on tactics. It's a cool contrast and it really fleshes out Tarkin's character in other ways too.

Aftermath is probably the most fun book I've read in a while. I'm flying through it. I know people have an issue with the feeling of the prose in certain parts, and there's interludes that both add to the overall universe building but detract from the story at hand, but it's still a good read I think.

Rootbeer

Banned
It's one of the more striking Kylo shirts I've seen. There are some very badass looking ones but going with the orange like that gives it a neat visual twist

Fj0823

Sorry for the late response,many think that giving the clones personalities is a retcon because the Kaminoans said they were genetically modified for obidience. To them that makes the amazing Umbara arc a piece of shit.

Another common complaint is that the biochips take away the "Betrayal" feel of order 66, they hate that the clones are victims instead of real cold traitors with no feelings (aka boring)

Also they think "changing" Anakins personality is giving in to thee PT haters and a terrible retcon, despite the fact that episode 3 Anakin acts all TCW cocky before he gets legit shook by his visions

So yeah....stupid stuff.

Gravidee

The strange thing is, I always thought that order 66 being the result of 'chips' in the brain was what made the clones turn on the jedi so fast, even during the time of Episode III's release. I was surprised when I learned that it wasn't confirmed and some authors and others even had their own interpretations of it. It took years until TCW's 66 arc that the idea was finally implemented into canon.

What did Lucas say during the commentary regarding the order?

Sayers

Another common complaint is that the biochips take away the "Betrayal" feel of order 66, they hate that the clones are victims instead of real cold traitors with no feelings (aka boring)

I've not been privy to any of these debates (GAF is the only forum I spend any time on) but I don't entirely disagree with that complaint. I think a biochip compelling them to obey is far less interesting than the clones struggling with their loyalties but ultimately deciding that their loyalty was to the Republic and if their leaders said that the Jedi were traitors, then the Jedi were traitors.

That being said, the movies don't address this at all so when you look at how Order 66 plays out in ROTS, the explanation given in TCW actually makes MORE sense.

Also they think "changing" Anakins personality is giving in to thee PT haters and a terrible retcon, despite the fact that episode 3 Anakin acts all TCW cocky before he gets legit shook by his visions

TCW is great because it SHOWS Anakin being the war hero that the movies TELL us he was.

Fj0823

I've not been privy to any of these debates (GAF is the only forum I spend any time on) but I don't entirely disagree with that complaint. I think a biochip compelling them to obey is far less interesting than the clones struggling with their loyalties but ultimately deciding that their loyalty was to the Republic and if their leaders said that the Jedi were traitors, then the Jedi were traitors.

That being said, the movies don't address this at all so when you look at how Order 66 plays out in ROTS, the explanation given in TCW actually makes MORE sense.

TCW is great because it SHOWS Anakin being the war hero that the movies TELL us he was.

They never struggled in the movies, not once.

They do in TCW, hard.

Sayers

They never struggled in the movies, not once.

They do in TCW, hard.

Exactly, which is precisely what I meant by "That being said, the movies don't address this at all so when you look at how Order 66 plays out in ROTS, the explanation given in TCW actually makes MORE sense."

Fj0823

Exactly, which is precisely what I meant by "That being said, the movies don't address this at all so when you look at how Order 66 plays out in ROTS, the explanation given in TCW actually makes MORE sense."

Missed that sorry

I thought you were refering to the now non canon explanations, which included hundreds of soldiers giving the middle finger to the order whenever the plot demanded a surviving Jedi....that was just terrible

guek

Banned
Royal Mail are doing some Star Wars stamps next month. Not a stamp collector really but they do look nice.

ad_180713716.jpg

I had a good chuckle when I noticed there's only one reference to the prequels among those stamps and it's Palpatine. You'd think they'd put out a pod racing stamp or maybe Windu or Dooku.

I had a good chuckle when I noticed there's only one reference to the prequels among those stamps and it's Palpatine. You'd think they'd put out a pod racing stamp or maybe Windu or Dooku.
Yep, fits in with the rest of the marketing I guess. Maul or a clone would have been good.

Toxi

Banned
Yep I was just thinking that last night when I watched TCW S2 E16 "Cat and Mouse".
Can't wait to reach that one, it's coming up soon.

I'm right now watching the Mandalore episodes and I'm loving them. The show's finally giving Obi-Wan Kenobi some good character development and Duchess Santine has a good rapport with him. Plus, the Deathwatch are cool villains; love that they were able to put a good fight against a Jedi with their tech and skills. Plus, black lightsaber. That's the sort of stupidly cool thing I would make as a kid.
Sorry for the late response,many think that giving the clones personalities is a retcon because the Kaminoans said they were genetically modified for obidience. To them that makes the amazing Umbara arc a piece of shit.

So yeah....stupid stuff.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm not up to those moments yet, but I like how the series is characterizing the clones; they're certainly more obedient than normal recruits, but they're still individuals with different personalities and levels of obedience. Episodes like "Rookies", "Innocents of Ryloth", and "The Deserter" show how despite their attempts at uniformity the clones end up developing in very different ways.

So yeah....stupid stuff.
That genetic engeneerng stuff is just marketing. They got to sell the clones somehow.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Added more episodes of TCW to my watch list, this is great stuff.

The Genosha Arc had some great horror elements to it, and overall this is some of the best Star Wars stuff I've checked out (alongside Darth Vader & the Ghost Prison.)

I'm excited to read Star Wars: Purge after TCW, now that I actually have a sense of why Anakin / early Vader was so revered.

Hagi

Royal Mail are doing some Star Wars stamps next month. Not a stamp collector really but they do look nice.

Got a T-shirt of my avatar today as well. :)

$_58.JPG

Oh sweet that's a cool T-shirt. I bought this on Force Friday because it was a daily deal

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014E0O4Q2/

Started reading Aftermath, only 3 chapters in but I'm enjoying it so far. Sinjir seems like an interesting character, his introduction was cool.

graffix13

Finished S2 of Clone Wars. The last 3 episodes focused on
Boba Fett. Man, what a little whiny brat! Also, how did he hook up with that crazy bitch Aurra Sing?

curb

Banned
Finished S2 of Clone Wars. The last 3 episodes focused on
Boba Fett. Man, what a little whiny brat! Also, how did he hook up with that crazy bitch Aurra Sing?

He seems like he should just be rolling around on the ground having a toddler fit. "I WANNA KILL WINDU, WAAAAAA!"

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I finished Awakening. It was just alright. I wish they'd started focusing on the era between RotJ and Force Awakens sooner. That's the period I'm really interested in. All this stuff between RotS and ANH, and especially between ANH and ESB is much less compelling. Everyone wants to know what the main characters were up to those 30 years!

Everyone wants to know what the main characters were up to those 30 years!

They're gonna make you pay for a movie ticket for that.

I think so long as they're making movies, you aren't going to find the main characters in EU fiction in any meaningful way. Perhaps small cameos or something, but nothing substantial.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I think so long as they're making movies, you aren't going to find the main characters in EU fiction in any meaningful way. Perhaps small cameos or something, but nothing substantial.

I doubt that they will go back and fill the gaps with different actors. At least for the next 15 years not.

Once the sequel trilogy is finished, probably even before then, there will be a shitload of EU content with the main characters, especially during the thirty year gap.

Aiii

So not worth it

You know there's a running comic book series for nearly every main character in the OT at the moment, right?

I doubt that they will go back and fill the gaps with different actors. At least for the next 15 years not.

No, of course not. But they want creative flexibility when making these movies, and that's why they trashed the old EU. They aren't going to let the new EU say what these characters were doing when, that could just hamstring their creative efforts for the movies. Nor do they want to give away plot details from the movies. They want you to see the film to find out whether Luke has begun a new Jedi Academy, they don't want you reading about that in an EU book.

I think periods between Episodes IV through VI are fair game, as well as the period prior to it. But I don't think we're getting stories regarding any of the main characters post Episode VI, not until the movies have fleshed out what's been going on in that period first.

Once the sequel trilogy is finished, probably even before then, there will be a shitload of EU content with the main characters, especially during the thirty year gap.

Yes, I agree. They'll probably fill in the gaps with EU content at some point, but it may not be until after Episode IX is released.

You know there's a running comic book series for nearly every main character in the OT at the moment, right?

That's all old stuff, though, right? Post ANH, at least for the main Marvel Star Wars comic. I don't think there's post-ROTJ comics out right now.

The point I was trying to make was that everyone is upset that Aftermath doesn't touch on what the main characters did post-ROTJ, and I don't think the EU will touch on that, not until the movies give us a chance to tell us first.

Top Bottom