• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

sphagnum

Banned
That's all old stuff, though, right? Post ANH, at least for the main Marvel Star Wars comic. I don't think there's post-ROTJ comics out right now.

The point I was trying to make was that everyone is upset that Aftermath doesn't touch on what the main characters did post-ROTJ, and I don't think the EU will touch on that, not until the movies give us a chance to tell us first.

Yes, the only post-RotJ comic out currently is Shattered Empire, which focuses on Shara Bey and Kes Damerson, although Han is involved in the story as well currently.

Aftermath and the framing stories for the YA JtTFA books did give us some information on some things the Big 3 were up to but not a lot. I do think that they'll wait until the ST is done with before they start focusing mainly on their story. I think it's inevitable that there will be a cartoon that takes place during the time of the New Republic.

graffix13

I think it's inevitable that there will be a cartoon that takes place during the time of the New Republic.

Oh please yes. 30+ years between RotJ and TFA so there is a lot of ground to cover. And I'd rather 'watch' something set in that period than read it.

Toxi

Banned
Finished S2 of Clone Wars. The last 3 episodes focused on
Boba Fett. Man, what a little whiny brat! Also, how did he hook up with that crazy bitch Aurra Sing?
When you think about it,
it's fitting Boba Fett would be a whiny loser as a kid with how little he got done as an adult in the movies. :p

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I didn't know Netflix had finally added that Clone Wars/X-Men crossover miniseries.

I liked the part where Wolverine's claws were turned into lightsabers. Almost as cool as Colossus doing the fastball special with Yoda.

you know what i mean

still going through it, enjoying it more and more as it goes on

this may end up being my favorite SW thing since ESB

curb

Banned
Yep. What did he ever do in the movies? He caught Han Solo...that's about it.

I think it came up in this thread before but someone suggest it would be great if Boba Fett gained his renowned completely by accident - that he just lucked into success. Like if the only reason he was able to follow the Falcon was because while he intended to leave when the fleet did, he had dropped his keys and just happen to be there when Han and crew flew away from the Star Destroyer's garbage.

jon bones

I think it came up in this thread before but someone suggest it would be great if Boba Fett gained his renowned completely by accident - that he just lucked into success. Like if the only reason he was able to follow the Falcon was because while he intended to leave when the fleet did, he had dropped his keys and just happen to be there when Han and crew flew away from the Star Destroyer's garbage.

that would be perfect

boba-fett-definitely-doesnt-look-as-cool-with-his-helmet-off-preview.jpg

that would be perfect

boba-fett-definitely-doesnt-look-as-cool-with-his-helmet-off-preview.jpg

Every time this comes up I have to make the distinction.
The photo above is from shooting the additional scenes for the ROTJ Special Edition.

Jeremy Bulloch, the original Boba Fett is far more Clint Eastwood in nature.

79a6fcf6ef015002c15b28de873cf7d1.jpg

But then again this is the Star Wars OT and I probably didn't need to tell you that

jon bones

Every time this comes up I have to make the distinction.
The photo above is from shooting the additional scenes for the ROTJ Special Edition.

Jeremy Bulloch the original Boba Fett, is far more Clint Eastwood in nature.

79a6fcf6ef015002c15b28de873cf7d1.jpg

But then again this is the Star Wars OT and I probably didn't need to tell you that

had no idea, i'm casual af

i mean casting John Boyega is basically the reason i'm giving the SW universe a second chance

i'm glad i am - the comics and CG show are really enjoyable

had no idea, i'm casual af

No worries!

Admittedly, I'm a huge Boba Fett fan and I'd be the first to tell you that the majority of my love for the character comes from the (now non-canon) EU.

He had very little screen time in the actual films, that coupled with his really cool armor added to the mysterious allure of the character.

A lot of people say he "did nothing" in the films to which I'd disagree, but his screen time left a lot to be desired.

(I haven't watched the Clone Wars, I couldn't get into it. It has a really, almost excruciatingly slow start. People tell me to give it a second chance though.)

jon bones

No worries!

Admittedly, I'm a huge Boba Fett fan and I'd be the first to tell you that the majority of my love for the character comes from the (now non-canon) EU.

He had very little screen time in the actual films, that coupled with his really cool armor added to the mysterious allure of the character.

A lot of people say he "did nothing" in the films to which I'd disagree, but his screen time left a lot to be desired.

(I haven't watched the Clone Wars, I couldn't get into it. It has a really, almost excruciatingly slow start. People tell me to give it a second chance though.)

if there are any good EU comics with Fett, i'm all ears

i would highly recommend watching the "essential episode" list of TCW - it's up there with KOTOR, Darth Vader & The Ghost Prison and Empire Strikes Back imo. cuts out all the filler and is just a series of great in-universe vignettes that add some really interesting color to Darth Vader / Anakin Skywalker.

I watched the first 25 minutes of TCW movie to introduce Ashoka, then:

The Geonosis Arc (S2E5-8)
The Rookies Arc (S3E1, S1E5, S3E2)
The Nightsisters Arc (S3E12-14)
The Citadel Arc (S3E18-20)
The Umbara Arc (S4E7-10)
The Kadavo Arc (S4E11-13)
A Friend in Need (S4E14)
The
Return of Maul
(S4E19-22, S5E1, S5E14-16)
Ashoka Framed (S5E17-20)
The End (S6E1-4, S6E11-13)

curb

Banned
No worries!

I'm in that camp. To me, he just followed the Falcon to Cloud City walked around with Vader and then loaded Han onto a ship. In RotJ, he stood around, rocketed to a platform and then got knocked into a death pit by a blind guy. Cool looking character, absolutely - but that seems to be about it. I have virtually no EU experience though so my Boba exposure is the films and Clone Wars
in which he spends a lot of time pouting and whining

MattyG

Banned
Is Fett the one that Vader addresses when he says 'And no disintegration' ?
Yeah. They kind of call back to it in
Aftermath.
There's a bounty hunter character who is on a mission to assassinate an Imperial beneficiary, and while she's waiting she says something about being sure to not disintegrate him. It's probably an unwritten rule that all bounty hunters try to follow, because who wants to pay out a bounty for a bunch of unidentifiable ash? Vader probably said it because Boba did it once prior on a job for him, or he just has a reputation for doing it.

Up to season 3 of Clone Wars, here's a few random musings I've had.

All the best characters I've seen so far were made for the show. Cad Bane, Hondo Ohnaka, 99, Duchess Satine, Riyo Chuchi and Ima-Gun Di have been fantastic. That being said, Plo Koon is cool as shit, he sounds like Bane!

I find Anakin pretty grating, almost everything he says is some sort of "I make my own rules" remark to which everyone always responds with a "Oh Anakin, you rascal". I do like his occasional Vaderisms, such as his interrogation of Gunray.

The alien cultures have been pretty cool, I loved the episode with the Talz. The Toydarians are total bros as well, wonder what made Watto so selfish.

I enjoy the occasional cameos from classic Star Wars characters, seeing Bossk was a particular delight. Really annoyed they made Greedo speak English though, stupid decision.

Jar Jar Binks is still utter shit, I don't know why the show's creators decided to include him. They're clearly really in touch with Star Wars, why give even a single episode to potentially the most hated character in the series? (Although these same people created Ziro the Hutt, so they must have lapses.)

In summary, so far I'm enjoying the show, not as much as Rebels but I still have a lot left to watch, so my opinion may change. Almost all of my problems with the show stem from the prequels themselves, so the creators really made something good out of what they had.

BFIB

Up to season 3 of Clone Wars, here's a few random musings I've had.

All the best characters I've seen so far were made for the show. Cad Bane, Hondo Ohnaka, 99, Duchess Satine, Riyo Chuchi and Ima-Gun Di have been fantastic. That being said, Plo Koon is cool as shit, he sounds like Bane!

I find Anakin pretty grating, almost everything he says is some sort of "I make my own rules" remark to which everyone always responds with a "Oh Anakin, you rascal". I do like his occasional Vaderisms, such as his interrogation of Gunray.

The alien cultures have been pretty cool, I loved the episode with the Talz. The Toydarians are total bros as well, wonder what made Watto so selfish.

I enjoy the occasional cameos from classic Star Wars characters, seeing Bossk was a particular delight. Really annoyed they made Greedo speak English though, stupid decision.

Jar Jar Binks is still utter shit, I don't know why the show's creators decided to include him. They're clearly really in touch with Star Wars, why give even a single episode to potentially the most hated character in the series? (Although these same people created Ziro the Hutt, so they must have lapses.)

In summary, so far I'm enjoying the show, not as much as Rebels but I still have a lot left to watch, so my opinion may change. Almost all of my problems with the show stem from the prequels themselves, so the creators really made something good out of what they had.

Glad your enjoying it! The show finally finds its footing in the latter half of season 3. 4-6 is an utter thrill ride as far as the main arcs go. 5 in particular, you really start to get what Anakin is truly about.

Glad your enjoying it! The show finally finds its footing in the latter half of season 3. 4-6 is an utter thrill ride as far as the main arcs go. 5 in particular, you really start to get what Anakin is truly about.

Nice, good to hear. It's such an exciting time to be a SW fan. I was just thinking it would be incredible if HK-47 was made part of the new canon in some way, same with Katarn and Thrawn. I don't mind them resetting the canon, but I want to preserve the truly awesome characters.

Yes. Implication being Fett is/was trigger-happy, i think.

It's been a while since I've seen the scene, but iirc Vader is addressing every bounty hunter but then happens to stop at Boba to make a point.

Similar to how a drill sergeant addresses a platoon and stops at one private to further establish a point. Or really any one person addressing a crowd of people.

I never remember those implications being there in the 90's, 2000's, but since the advent of the internet we have fan theories and over analyzing aplenty for anything you could think of.

Anyways. Required Boba Fett EU:

Bounty Hunter Wars: The Mandalorian Armor (his escape from the Sarlacc and how he re-establishes himself) 1st in a trilogy of books, they're all great.

Shadows of the Empire: Takes place between ESB/ROTJ explains the lengths at which he had to go to get Han to Tatooine with other Bounty Hunters trying to capitalize on Boba doing the heavy lifting.

Boba Fett: Death, Lies and Treachery (Graphic Novel)

The Last One Outstanding (from Tales of the Bounty Hunters)

There's a Dark Horse Boba Fett Omnibus thats definitely worth the read.

Bloodlines (from Legacy of the Force, there is A LOT of stuff going on here. 9 books worth. three of which are relatively Boba centric but thats the best/most important)

There's really too many to list, but that's a pretty good primer.

He's a staple character of the franchise, often making his way for a small appearance or two in other noteworthy entries into the EU. (I think he shows up in the Thrawn trilogy which everyone should read.)

Finding out about him being whiny and bratty in TCW is disappointing to say the least.
To discredit the (at the time) established canon. Oh well, hopefully his standalone film does him better.

The above is a great sampling that paints a better portrait of who essentially is "the man with no name (in spaaace)."

Also, it goes without saying but his ORIGINAL voice actor helped really established the allure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a897FGgDJy8

graffix13

I want to like Boba, I really do. But the kid has to show me something.

Maybe we'll get an appearance in Rebels S2? Did he ever, in canon, have the 'most feared Bounty Hunter in the galaxy' like Jango? I don't recall.

Maybe we'll get an appearance in Rebels S2? Did he ever, in canon, have the 'most feared Bounty Hunter in the galaxy' like Jango? I don't recall.
Well Vader turned to him to find Luke in the Darth Vader comic. I guess he must have had a reputation at that point.

In ROTJ, Han seems to know him by name when he attacks on the desert skiff. I think it's Chewie that calls him out to Han, and that's the only time Boba's name is mentioned in the OT. Regardless, it could be implied from Han knowing the name that Boba Fett is at least notorious to some extent.

But then there's the other issue of whether Boba Fett was a solo bounty hunter as is implied in the original cuts, or whether he was somehow under the employ (or on retainer?) for Jabba, as is implied by his inclusion in the Mos Eisley scene added into the special edition of ANH. (But honestly, I don't personally consider any of the changes in the special editions to be canon.)

Well Vader turned to him to find Luke in the Darth Vader comic. I guess he must have had a reputation at that point.

True, true. But we knew he had some reputation, as do the rest of the bounty hunters on the Executor in ESB, or otherwise Vader wouldn't have called on them to hunt down Han & crew. But I suppose the comic implies that Boba is the best of the bunch, since Vader only called on him for this post-ANH, pre-ESB assignment.

Gravidee

Boba was meant to develop over the course of TCW. He starts off bratty and pouty, but gradually grows into the more mature and skilled bounty hunter he was eventually supposed to be. By Dark Disciple, he already has some of his iconic armor and hangs out with his small guild of bounty hunters, taking high risk jobs.

There was an arc where Cad Bane was supposed to train Boba somewhere on Tatooine. You can see an unfinished clip with audio here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sQEHbFZwdU

In the Dark Disciple arc, he and his team take on Count Dooku:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6937P5ZoZE

The prequels and Clone Wars series did it's best to make me dislike Boba Fett.

I mean, I would too if that's all I had to go off of :/

I really think that Boba Fett suffered the worst when Lucasfilm wiped the EU clean to start over. There are a lot of really bad things about the EU and few really good things. The embellishment of Boba Fett was one of those great things.

The prequels/Clone Wars (from what I can tell from TCW) did him ZERO favors.

Before, his allegiance was ambiguous, not good, not bad.
He's not a Jedi, and not a Sith. In the end he's looking out for himself, letting bigger players like the Empire and the Rebellion work their issues out as he goes about his way. The contract from Vader was a paycheck not a vendetta. He was more of an anti-hero.

Nowadays he's being painted as a bad guy, classic villain etc. (and good lord I just YouTube'd him in TCW. I'd hate him too)

I still hope that theory that the Fett we see in the films isn't the OG Fett is true. I like the idea of the character being an alias that particularly terrible (as in evil) bounty hunters taken on.

Sayers

Cad Bane is way better anyway. Bane took on multiple Jedi Masters and succeeded. Boba tried to fight a half trained Jedi Knight and ended up in the sarlacc pit.

EDIT: You know what? Fuck a Boba Fett movie, make a Cad Bane movie.

My age might be showing, but I didn't realize that TCW was such a point of reference to so many.

I was a big fan of the OT. Then the prequels happened. But TCW made me care about Star Wars again. I don't think it is an age thing as much as it is that TCW is some of the absolute best of Star Wars.

Toxi

Banned
The Last One Standing (from Tales of the Bounty Hunters)
Great story, even if it makes zero sense with Boba Fett's backstory. The ending is perfect.

Speaking of Tales of the Bounty Hunters, I will always remember IG-88's story for how hilariously stupid it is. IG-88 takes over a planet, uploads his brain into the Death Star II, and punks the Emperor with a door. And then even though he's in control of the Death Star, he ends up getting blown up with nobody realizing that he was ever there.

I mean, I would too if that's all I had to go off of :/

I really think that Boba Fett suffered the worst when Lucasfilm wiped the EU clean to start over. There are a lot of really bad things about the EU and few really good things. The embellishment of Boba Fett was one of those great things.

The prequels/Clone Wars (from what I can tell from TCW) did him ZERO favors.

Before, his allegiance was ambiguous, not good, not bad.
He's not a Jedi, and not a Sith. In the end he's looking out for himself, letting bigger players like the Empire and the Rebellion work their issues out as he goes about his way. The contract from Vader was a paycheck not a vendetta. He was more of an anti-hero.

Nowadays he's being painted as a bad guy, classic villain etc. (and good lord I just YouTube'd him in TCW. I'd hate him too)

You're right, unfortunately all Boba is now is what we know from prequels, TCW and OT. Doesn't stack up to much. Hopefully any new canon they give him will be worthy of what we thought of him back in the 90's and before.

curb

Banned
Well I am 38, so take it from another old timer: TCW is fucking great.

36 here. Grew up on the OT and I adore Clone Wars.

Also, I still wish they'd been able to finish those last few Clone Wars episodes. The voiced animatics are better than nothing but there was some good stuff there.

Great story, even if it makes zero sense with Boba Fett's backstory. The ending is perfect.

Speaking of Tales of the Bounty Hunters, I will always remember IG-88's story for how hilariously stupid it is. IG-88 takes over a planet, uploads his brain into the Death Star II, and punks the Emperor with a door. And then even though he's in control of the Death Star, he ends up getting blown up with nobody realizing that he was ever there.

Zuckuss and 4LOM being ultra-bros made this book gold.

I've got Tales of the Bounty Hunters and Tales from Jabba's Palace somewhere at my parent's place. Couldn't tell you anything about them though.

I've got Tales of the Bounty Hunters and Tales from Jabba's Palace somewhere at my parent's place. Couldn't tell you anything about them though.

Same here. I read them about 20 years ago, along with a lot of other EU novels and comics. The Thrawn trilogy is about the only thing that really stuck with me, the rest of it is mostly a blur.

graffix13

Same here. I read them about 20 years ago, along with a lot of other EU novels and comics. The Thrawn trilogy is about the only thing that really stuck with me, the rest of it is mostly a blur.

Me 3. I read a bunch of it, but nothing really stuck with me. I remember hating a character named Kyp in the Jedi Academy books.

I'm glad it's been wiped.

curb

Banned
Me 3. I read a bunch of it, but nothing really stuck with me. I remember hating a character named Kyp in the Jedi Academy books.

I'm glad it's been wiped.

The EU purge made me glad I could never get into those books. Now we've got a whole new crop of books for me to ultimately ignore.

It's funny the weird things I do remember from EU novels of long ago. Like I remember in The Courtship of Princess Leia that a dark side witch crushed Han's tooth with the force. I think I only remember that because it sounded particularly awful.

graffix13

The EU purge made me glad I could never get into those books. Now we've got a whole new crop of books for me to ultimately ignore.

Lol true, true. But this time it feels...different. Well, at least to me.

Didn't Lucasfilm create a 'canon guru' position or some such to keep all this stuff coherent?

Top Bottom