• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Hagi

Finally got my hardcover copy of Weapon of a Jedi today and wow so glad I got that instead of the paperback, Noto kills the front cover and back of the back. There is even interior pages done by him that I had no idea about! I think it was Bobby who said on Full of Sith that he would be okay if Noto did the movie posters instead of Struzan and I totally agree, his work is amazing. Looking forward to reading the book then picking up Rucka's Han Solo book as well.

Sarco Plank looks awesome btw, they are really going ham with character designs now and I love it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I love that teaser. Still hard to believe it's a decade ago.

After watching the teaser just now, I found & watched a stitched-together video of the final battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Having recently finished binge-watching The Clone Wars, this was significantly more emotional than it was when I first saw the movie. Clone Wars really does make the prequels better, even with all their many flaws.

Cheebo

Banned
Chuck Wendig is the best. At a book signing and Q&A he said Del-Rey personally hired him to defecate on all their copies of the old EU novels. And when he was asked about Timothy Zahn he answered "Who's that?".

graffix13

After watching the teaser just now, I found & watched a stitched-together video of the final battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Having recently finished binge-watching The Clone Wars, this was significantly more emotional than it was when I first saw the movie. Clone Wars really does make the prequels better, even with all their many flaws.

TCW is quickly becoming an all time favorite of mine. Anakin is such a bad ass in it.

Hagi

Chuck Wendig said:
And if you’re upset because I put gay characters and a gay protagonist in the book, I got nothing for you. Sorry, you squawking saurian — meteor’s coming. And it’s a fabulously gay Nyan Cat meteor with a rainbow trailing behind it and your mode of thought will be extinct. You’re not the Rebel Alliance. You’re not the good guys. You’re the fucking Empire, man. You’re the shitty, oppressive, totalitarian Empire. If you can imagine a world where Luke Skywalker would be irritated that there were gay people around him, you completely missed the point of Star Wars. It’s like trying to picture Jesus kicking lepers in the throat instead of curing them. Stop being the Empire. Join the Rebel Alliance. We have love and inclusion and great music and cute droids.

(By the way, the book also has an older woman, a mother, rescuing a man. So if that bothers you, you might wanna find a bunker for hunkering down. And I dunno if you noticed, but the three new protagonists of the movie consist of a woman, a black man, a Latino man. The bad guys all look like white guys, too. So many meteors. So little time to squawk at them.)

Wow looking forward to getting my copy of Aftermath on Friday lol

curb

Banned

I've mentioned it a number of times here but Clone Wars significantly improved my perspective an the prequels and Anakin's character in particular. I found his disillusionment with the Jedi became much more believable after watching the show.

Chuck Wendig is the best. At a book signing and Q&A he said Del-Rey personally hired him to defecate on all their copies of the old EU novels. And when he was asked about Timothy Zahn he answered "Who's that?".

Those Give Us Legends psychos are really going to kill him now.

After looking at Wendig's Twitter, I was just browsing through some of the reviews on Amazon's US site. Wretched hive of scum and villainy comes to mind.

Hope my copy comes tomorrow. From what I've read of actual reviews it sounds quite positive.

graffix13

I've mentioned it a number of times here but Clone Wars significantly improved my perspective an the prequels and Anakin's character in particular. I found his disillusionment with the Jedi became much more believable after watching the show.

Oh I agree 100%! It really fleshes out Anakin's character and honestly I am finding out that I agree with him. Growing up with just the OT, you just knew that Anakin was Luke's father and he turned to the dark side. Now with the PT, you find out he did it to save Padme. And TCW really expands that and shows that it was the whole "attachment" issue with loved ones Anakin couldn't let go of, which, can you blame him? I just watched S2 Episode 8 ("Brain Invaders") of TCW, where
Anakin had to Force Choke Poggle to make him talk on how to destroy the brain parasites. If he had not done that, Ahsoka, Barriss, and a lot of Clone Troopers would have died. Not to mention could have infected Kit Fisto's medical station as well. Obi-Wan, Luminara, and Ki-Adi-Mundi could not get Poggle to talk and were prepared to lose the Padawans and Clones.

Oh I agree 100%! It really fleshes out Anakin's character and honestly I am finding out that I agree with him. Growing up with just the OT, you just knew that Anakin was Luke's father and he turned to the dark side. Now with the PT, you find out he did it to save Padme. And TCW really expands that and shows that it was the whole "attachment" issue with loved ones Anakin couldn't let go of, which, can you blame him? I just watched S2 Episode 8 ("Brain Invaders") of TCW, where
Anakin had to Force Choke Poggle to make him talk on how to destroy the brain parasites. If he had not done that, Ahsoka, Barriss, and a lot of Clone Troopers would have died. Not to mention could have infected Kit Fisto's medical station as well. Obi-Wan, Luminara, and Ki-Adi-Mundi could not get Poggle to talk and were prepared to lose the Padawans and Clones.

I think Rebels will help with this to a degree as well. Vader's aspect as the Emperor's enforcer was really on target in the 1st episode of S2. It was Anakin fully evolved into a monster, but a monster who really thought he was bringing order to a universe ravaged by war.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i need to return to TCW

i saw the Clone trilogy as i heard it was standalone and enjoyed it... maybe i'll give a few more eps in that "essential episodes" list a shot

Hex

Banned

I agree completely.
It really shows the flaws of the council, it really does make you understand Anakin more and it gives life to what really was flat and bland.
Yes it had some filler eps now for the sake of kids or just because (usually involving Jar Jar or the droids or something) but they were very few and far between.
The series itself is a pretty impressive tapestry that when woven around the prequel trilogy makes them a better experience.
AND it introduced Ashoka, Asaaj Ventriss, and Cad Bane who have gone on to become some of my favorite Star Wars characters.
Rebels in my opinion has taken it, and improved on it which is not eash without having all of the known characters to work with.

curb

Banned

I think the end of season five really shows how blind the Jedi Order really was. You also get to see how Anakin's connection to Ahsoka - who was partly meant to help him let go of attachment - is hurt by the Jedi's lack of perspective. It makes it more believable when Anakin really turns to Paplatine regarding his the subject of his dreams instead of the Jedi.

I agree completely.
It really shows the flaws of the council, it really does make you understand Anakin more and it gives life to what really was flat and bland.
Yes it had some filler eps now for the sake of kids or just because (usually involving Jar Jar or the droids or something) but they were very few and far between.
The series itself is a pretty impressive tapestry that when woven around the prequel trilogy makes them a better experience.
AND it introduced Ashoka, Asaaj Ventriss, and Cad Bane who have gone on to become some of my favorite Star Wars characters.
Rebels in my opinion has taken it, and improved on it which is not eash without having all of the known characters to work with.

I love Clone Wars to death but there certainly are episodes I never have any desire to watch again. The tiny general in the droids is one that I watched once and that was enough for me (although I love that he showed up in Disney Infinity). The high points are so high in that series though. Clone Wars has a number of my favorite Star Wars moments ever.

Cheebo

Banned
Honestly I think The Clone Wars is the best on-screen Star Wars content since Empire Strikes Back.

Too early to rank Rebels for me but for now I go:

The Empire Strikes Back > A New Hope > The Clone Wars > Return of the Jedi > Revenge of the Sith > The Phantom Mence > Attack of the Clones.

curb

Banned
Honestly I think The Clone Wars is the best on-screen Star Wars content since Empire Strikes Back.

Too early to rank Rebels for me but for now I go:

The Empire Strikes Back > A New Hope > The Clone Wars > Return of the Jedi > Revenge of the Sith > The Phantom Mence > Attack of the Clones.

I like how you think.

The Clone Wars is the Star Wars Lucas always wanted to make. We know he has a big imagination and has trouble working with actors. CG animation is the medium that Lucas thrives in. When I learned how involved he was with TCW, I really respected him even more.

And Dave Filoni is the guy that understands Lucas more than anyone else working on Star Wars. Glad that Rebels is past its growing pains and looks to be settling into the groove that TCW found in its later seasons.

Cheebo

Banned
The Clone Wars is the Star Wars Lucas always wanted to make.

I agree, and I feel the show has the pulpy Flash Gordon episodic style far more than the films did which was his original sort of intention before the film series ended up evolving into a Tolkien-esque epic mythology.

curb

Banned
The Clone Wars is the Star Wars Lucas always wanted to make. We know he has a big imagination and has trouble working with actors. CG animation is the medium that Lucas thrives in. When I learned how involved he was with TCW, I really respected him even more.

And Dave Filoni is the guy that understands Lucas more than anyone else working on Star Wars. Glad that Rebels is past its growing pains and looks to be settling into the groove that TCW found in its later seasons.

I often get annoyed when I see people outright talking down about Lucas. Yes, the prequels are not the greatest films ever made but he's a fantastic idea guy. He invented that universe out of his head (which is still amazing to me) and like you say, it's great to see someone like Filoni be able to take that and run with it.

Cheebo

Banned
And yes Dave Filoni really seemed to click with Lucas and Lucas's style extremely well. Far more than any of his other collaborators in the franchise. I really really hope Dave is going to be at Lucasfilm for the long haul and oversee whatever the next animated series is after Rebels.

It blew my mind when I found out the writers room each season for Clone Wars was Lucas pretty much dictating the story plot lines of every single arc himself and the scripts for them getting assigned to the various writers.

I often get annoyed when I see people outright talking down about Lucas. Yes, the prequels are not the greatest films ever made but he's a fantastic idea guy. He invented that universe out of his head (which is still amazing to me) and like you say, it's great to see someone like Filoni be able to take that and run with it.

Same. I want to throttle someone every time they say he raped their childhood.

Cheebo

Banned
Not to mention the people who trash him and are excited for the new Disney material....we wouldnt have got these films if he didn't want them out. He owned everything 100%. For years the expectation was his estate would pretty much shut down production of new Star Wars material when he passed away like is done with Tolkien's estate and that when Lucas was personally done that was the end of things for the franchise in terms of on screen material. Lucas himself for years said when he was dead Star Wars was done.

I feel biggest test of the post Lucas era is not this group of films and tv shows we are getting now under Kathleen Kennedy, Kennedy has worked alongside Lucas for decades. The big test is when the leadership of Lucasfilm is people who had no association with George Lucas. Everyone running things now were personally handpicked by him.

Hagi

He's a really nice guy who created something that generations of people hold dear people should give him a break. Also anyone who states "insert creator" raped my childhood needs a punch on the nose regardless.

Meowster

Lucas is a good guy who just got too detached from what the public wanted his films to be (though he certainly didn't owe them any kind of obligation). I hope his daughter gets a chance to help out with one of the films though. Her episodes of TCW showed real promise and were some of the best in the entire show. I bet ole Georgie had to be quite proud of them.

graffix13

And yes Dave Filoni really seemed to click with Lucas and Lucas's style extremely well. Far more than any of his other collaborators in the franchise. I really really hope Dave is going to be at Lucasfilm for the long haul and oversee whatever the next animated series is after Rebels.

So much this. Dave is fantastic.

curb

Banned
Same. I want to throttle someone every time they say he raped their childhood.

If there's one phrase I could remove from online vernacular, it would be that. A] rape should not be trivialized like that and B] you need to seriously revisit your childhood for perspective because it wasn't as great as you remember (case in point, the 80s Transformers cartoon).

Hex

Banned
Not to mention the people who trash him and are excited for the new Disney material....we wouldnt have got these films if he didn't want them out. He owned everything 100%. For years the expectation was his estate would pretty much shut down production of new Star Wars material when he passed away like is done with Tolkien's estate and that when Lucas was personally done that was the end of things for the franchise in terms of on screen material. Lucas himself for years said when he was dead Star Wars was done.

I feel biggest test of the post Lucas era is not this group of films and tv shows we are getting now under Kathleen Kennedy, Kennedy has worked alongside Lucas for decades. The big test is when the leadership of Lucasfilm is people who had no association with George Lucas. Everyone running things now were personally handpicked by him.

I see more fans shitting on Disney than I do shitting on Lucas which is just stupid either way.
Lucas did great things, he also made some poor decisions and changed his vision but when it is your universe you can do that.
His life changed and it was reflected in his creative output.
The bottom line is, as you say no Lucas no Galaxy far far away.

curb

Banned
I see more fans shitting on Disney than I do shitting on Lucas which is just stupid either way.
Lucas did great things, he also made some poor decisions and changed his vision but when it is your universe you can do that.
His life changed and it was reflected in his creative output.
The bottom line is, as you say no Lucas no Galaxy far far away.

I see pretty much equal parts Disney and Lucas/prequel hate. A lot of the Disney hate I've seen comes from old EU fans though.

Wait, Lucas had that much involvement in TCW TV Show? Wow, just.. I'm kind of shocked, though him giving out plot points but not writing the Script is what probably worked. I don't think anyone would disagree that the idea/arc of the prequels is actually good, it's just the script/acting that caused them to be bad.

Toxi

Banned
As someone who starts watching The Clone Wars, the best part of it is seeing Anakin in a normal context interacting with other people. The extra running time allows them to show the side of Anakin Obi-Wan described in the original movie: A good friend.

Also, Jesus Christ Ki-Adi Mundi, flamethrowers? You're supposed to be the good guys, and you're using flamethrowers on the Geonosians?

Hex

Banned
As someone who starts watching The Clone Wars, the best part of it is seeing Anakin in a normal context interacting with other people. The extra running time allows them to show the side of Anakin Obi-Wan described in the original movie: A good friend.

Also, Jesus Christ Ki-Adi Mundi, flamethrowers? You're supposed to be the good guys, and you're using flamethrowers on the Geonosians?

Ki-Adi Mundi is a dick. You would think that Kit Fisto might be a hard ass by looking at him and because he comes off like a badass but no way.
Ki-Adi Mundi gets the asshole award.

Comics....

Any impressions on Darth Vader #9 and Shattered Empire #1 yet? I converted my digital copies to PDF this morning so I could read them at work but the conversion looks so shitty. Bleh, gotta wait till I get home.

Hex

Banned
Comics....

Any impressions on Darth Vader #9 and Shattered Empire #1 yet? I converted my digital copies to PDF this morning so I could read them at work but the conversion looks so shitty. Bleh, gotta wait till I get home.

Looking forward to grabbing them on my way home.
Shattered Empire has
Poe's Parents

curb

Banned

I had never really thought of that. You get a tiny taste of that in Revenge of the Sith but 6 seasons is a lot to work with a relationship like that.

War is hell, man.

Speaking of Jedi, I really liked this guy. Would have been nice if he'd stayed around a bit longer.

Ima-Gun_Di-Preview.jpg

And his name is brilliant.

Wait, Lucas had that much involvement in TCW TV Show? Wow, just.. I'm kind of shocked, though him giving out plot points but not writing the Script is what probably worked. I don't think anyone would disagree that the idea/arc of the prequels is actually good, it's just the script/acting that caused them to be bad.

Watch some behind the scenes for TCW. It's really interesting to see how that show was made. Filoni was so great for it because he was really good at molding Lucas' ideas. And the thing is, if anyone ever got stuck on what it meant to be Star Wars, they could go to Lucas and he would have an answer. I don't think a thing like that was fully appreciated until he sold the company and wasn't really involved anymore.

I'd be really interested to know if Filoni gives Lucas a call every once in a while seeking advice.

Sayers

Just wait until the finale of Season 5. Mundi goes full on asshole.

Throw me in with those who thinks Clone Wars makes the prequels better, or at least makes ROTS better. I almost wish TCW had been made first. How much more impactful would the Obi Wan/Anakin fight have been if instead of Anakin whining about "FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEDI ARE EVIL" he could have been saying "You lied to me about
faking your death
, you betrayed
Ahsoka"
? Anakin's fall makes so much more sense after TCW.

graffix13

Comics....

Any impressions on Darth Vader #9 and Shattered Empire #1 yet?

Yep, Shattered Empire was good. I recommend it. It's possible that
Poe was literally conceived in the Ewok village on the same day Battle of Endor ended. If that's not pure victory, I don't know what is.

Speaking of Jedi, I really liked this guy. Would have been nice if he'd stayed around a bit longer.

Ima-Gun_Di-Preview.jpg

And his name is brilliant.

Ima Gun Di. Ha, yes.

Plo Koon is still my favorite B-List Jedi. I remember you could play as him in Jedi Power Battles on Playstation 1 and I thought that was so cool.

Fj0823

Glad there's Filoni love here.

Theforce.net is full of idiots hating him because he raped the prequels by "giving a middlefinger" to a couple throaway lines in AOTC.

Most of those ideas came from Lucas ):

Thus far, I've read Star Wars #1, Lando #1, and Shattered Empire #1.

I've enjoyed them all! If I was to choose one to recommend, it would have to be Shattered Empire. Love the drawinf, and the period is one that I'm most eager to see explored - particularly because I never go into the EU.

Top Bottom