• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

curb

Banned
Lol true, true. But this time it feels...different. Well, at least to me.

Didn't Lucasfilm create a 'canon guru' position or some such to keep all this stuff coherent?

It's not that I don't want to get into the extra content but it's really just a matter of free time.

Yes, they have what I believe is called the "Story Group" that's solely responsible for keeping it all straight. It's a good move considering how convoluted things got last time.

Didn't they form a 'story group' to make sure nothing gets out of control or something?

In terms of quality, I worry that the new canon stuff in the comics won't be any better than some of the ridiculous stuff that was in the EU.

For example (Star Wars main series issue 2 spoiler):

Luke and Vader meet up in what has to be one of the most poorly written, overly contrived scenes you'll find in Star Wars, even including the worst scenes of the prequel films. It's excessive and unnecessary and awful in almost every way you could imagine.

But then, Kanan, Lando and Shattered Empire have thus far been quite good, so here's hoping that's an outlier.

MattyG

Banned
Didn't they form a 'story group' to make sure nothing gets out of control or something?

In terms of quality, I worry that the new canon stuff in the comics won't be any better than some of the ridiculous stuff that was in the EU.

Luke and Vader meet up in what has to be one of the most poorly written, overly contrived scenes you'll find in Star Wars, even including the worst scenes of the prequel films. It's excessive and unnecessary and awful in almost every way you could imagine.

But then, Kanan, Lando and Shattered Empire have thus far been quite good, so here's hoping that's an outlier.
Nothing will ever beat Skippy the Jedi Droid.

I honestly though that encounter was OK. Vader's dialogue was a little off and I'm not really sure why Luke referred to Obi-Wan as General Kenobi, but other than that it was fine. Hopefully they won't encounter each other between the films much more though.

Meowster

Lol true, true. But this time it feels...different. Well, at least to me.

Didn't Lucasfilm create a 'canon guru' position or some such to keep all this stuff coherent?
That used to be Leland Chee. As far as I can tell, he's still involved with that sort of thing.

Woorloog

Banned
That used to be Leland Chee. As far as I can tell, he's still involved with that sort of thing.

Pretty sure Leland Chee is part of the story group that handles the canon stuff nowadays. And the difference is, i believe, that the story group does plan stuff, previously the Holocron Holder just tried to fit everything together. If i understood and recall correctly.

MattyG

Banned
So I'm watching Clone Wars and I can't remember, does Obi-Wan know about Anakin and Padme's relationship before episode 3? He had to have, right? They aren't exactly subtle about it.

Also, Mystery of the Thousand moons is the best episode so far. I love it. Please tell me that there are more episodes like this later in the series.
Pretty sure Leland Chee is part of the story group that handles the canon stuff nowadays. And the difference is, i believe, that the story group does plan stuff, previously the Holocron Holder just tried to fit everything together. If i understood and recall correctly.
Yeah, this is how I understood it. Everything from here on out gets fact checked with the story group and their records to make sure there's no conflicts at the time of the project's creation or possible conflicts with future plans.

Sayers

So I'm watching Clone Wars and I can't remember, does Obi-Wan know about Anakin and Padme's relationship before episode 3? He had to have, right? They aren't exactly subtle about it.

He doesn't know for sure until ROTS. I'm sure he suspects it though.

Also, Mystery of the Thousand moons is the best episode so far. I love it. Please tell me that there are more episodes like this later in the series.

TCW only gets better and better.

And then it tears your heart out.

Toxi

Banned
Okay, Clone Wars question:
How the heck did the Slave 1 survive the end of season 2? Or is the one in The Empire Strikes Back a different ship?

Peru

It's headed by Kiri Hart , and yeah, they're clearly plotting out the big picture storyline for the universe and films.

sphagnum

Banned

He picks up on it but never outright says it. There's a scene in the last season where
Anakin is pissy about Padme working with an old flame to uncover some banking shenanigans and Obi-Wan can tell that he's jealous about it, so he confronts him in his room and pretty much tells him "Look I know there's something between you guys but don't let it get in the way of your duty."

In the original script for RotS, Obi-Wan flat out tells Padme halfway through the movie that he knows she and Anakin are in love and that he will not rat them out to the Council. This was cut, but there's a scene in the movie that remains where Anakin senses that Obi-Wan had been in Padme's apartment and Padme tells him that he had stopped by earlier to talk because he was worried about Anakin. Another element cut from the final movie is that Anakin thinks, thanks to Sheev planting the idea in his head, that Obi-Wan and Padme are having an affair, and so he's suspicious about why Obi-Wan would be at the apartment. If you pay attention, when Anakin is asking Padme why Obi-Wan was there, the shot has Anakin and Padme's bed in the background.

Rootbeer

Banned
Scored at Target today. Not huge into 3 3/4 figures but I'm trying to collect the entire Rebels crew, and it was hard to pass on the BB8 set and the new 3PO. Also Target's current 10% off all toys deal might have played a part.

HgojxTw.jpg

curb

Banned
Scored at Target today. Not huge into 3 3/4 figures but I'm trying to collect the entire Rebels crew, and it was hard to pass on the BB8 set and the new 3PO. Also Target's current 10% off all toys deal might have played a part.

I saw on Twitter that the Vader/Ahsoka pack was out. I don't think they're available here in Canada yet but I will be watching for one.

Rootbeer

Banned
I saw on Twitter that the Vader/Ahsoka pack was out. I don't think they're available here in Canada yet but I will be watching for one.

Good luck! Thankfully the Ahsoka/Vader pack is two per case (all the others are 1 per), hopefully it will help finding it easier, but it's still expected to be the most popular item of the assortment so if you see one, I wouldn't pass on it.

Chopper was produced in very limited numbers last year and he became very expensive on the aftermarket. Glad to get a reprint of him.

curb

Banned
Good luck! Thankfully the Ahsoka/Vader pack is two per case (all the others are 1 per), hopefully it will help finding it easier, but it's still expected to be the most popular item of the assortment so if you see one, I wouldn't pass on it.

It could be a bit of a hunt here as I find availability of this kind of stuff hit or miss in my area. Toys R Us Canada had a listing for it but it's been taken down so I remain vigilant.

graffix13

How the heck did the Slave 1 survive the end of season 2? Or is the one in The Empire Strikes Back a different ship?

I was thinking this same thing. Does
Boba (or someone else) repair Slave 1 or build a new one? Also, did Aurra Sing die in that crash? I don't think I would mind. I mean, she has a great look, but man....what an evil, evil bitch.

So I haven't caught up on Rebels yet (going to finish TCW first) but do Ahsoka and Vader fight at the end of S1/beginning of S2? Otherwise the box art is a little spoilerish. But I guess we all know it's going to happen at some point.

curb

Banned
So I haven't caught up on Rebels yet (going to finish TCW first) but do Ahsoka and Vader fight at the end of S1/beginning of S2? Otherwise the box art is a little spoilerish. But I guess we all know it's going to happen at some point.

It hasn't happened
yet
. That's just the promo art although that confrontation is obviously going to happen at some point.

I just noticed a nice little reference listening to the dialogue from the Finn toy on Making Star Wars. His Stormtrooper name is FN2187 - 2187 being the cell Leia's held in on the Death Star. Watching A New Hope on Saturday must have triggered my memory.

Having read the first chapter of Aftermath and not enjoying the style, I have to say that the audiobook version I got (via Audible's 30 day trial offer) actually excels because of it. It's like a radio play!

Gravidee

Well, basically
you see it in season 5 again. By that point, Hondo has repaired it and given the ship a new paint job much closer to the color scheme from Empire.

I was thinking this same thing. Does
Boba (or someone else) repair Slave 1 or build a new one? Also, did Aurra Sing die in that crash? I don't think I would mind. I mean, she has a great look, but man....what an evil, evil bitch.

Regarding Slave 1,
did you not watch season 5? Or 3 for that matter? Aurra survives the crash. She attempts to assassinate Padme but is stopped by Ahsoka again. Later she participates in the senate hostage crisis and that's basically the last time we see her chronologically.

graffix13

Regarding Slave 1,
did you not watch season 5? Or 3 for that matter? Aurra survives the crash. She attempts to assassinate Padme but is stopped by Ahsoka again. Later she participates in the senate hostage crisis and that's basically the last time we see her chronologically.

Nope. Just started S3 last night. Only on Episode 3.

RobbieNick

HgojxTw.jpg

Mine had them as well. Picked up the Vader/Ashoka set.

ghostmind

A heads-up for those of you "playing" Star Wars Card Trader. They just released the first "Illustrated Empire Strikes Back" set, at 7,500 credits per pack, with a guaranteed insert every pack (I got 2 or 3 in a few packs).

The physical set is beautiful, so if you don't have that, then this digital version is the next best thing.

Rootbeer

Banned
Mine had them as well. Picked up the Vader/Ashoka set.
Nice, I'm glad more people are finding them! Seems like all of the stores in my area received ONLY one box, supply is looking rather thin right now. Where's all those people saying we would be DROWNING in star wars figures about now? Yeah you can find some, but mostly just the repackaged ones that were already released in the last few years. The new characters are flying off shelves.

Toxi

Banned
God, Clone Wars season 3 really is jumping around the timeline.

Sometimes it's really confusing.

EDIT: I now need my brain bleached after watching
Sy Snoodles kiss Ziro the Hutt.

Starwars.com has a list of episodes in chronological order. In a few days I'm going to start a viewing of Clone Wars in that order. I had to download the whole series because it would be a pain in the ass to go back and forth on Netflix.

graffix13

You and I are on about the same pace as far as watching TCW it seems. I just finished Episode 4 of S3 last night.

I do agree with you with the skipping around, but I knew it was coming since they aren't in chronological order as far as release dates. I'm ok with that, but I've already caught little things that bother me.

In the first episode of S3, the
Arc Troopers come to visit the training cadets which include Heavy (who died in S1) Echo and Fives. So I knew the Episode took place sometime before S1....the only problem I had was that the Arc Troopers were wearing the new Phase 2 Clone Armor helmets. You didn't see them being worn at all in S1 or S2. I guess you can say they were prototypes and thus that would explain why only the Arc Troopers wore them. I dunno.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
full on INTO tcw right now

the episodes are just so visually stunning, and the storylines are very compelling

started the Umbara arc last night...
this general Krell is being a real dick

The Star Wars website's announced the first Star Wars and Darth Vader annuals. Kieron Gillen's writing both.

In Star Wars Annual #1 (40 pages, $4.99), by writer Kieron Gillen and artist Angel Unzueta, Rebel spy Haarkon Dak has been undercover in the Imperial bureaucracy for years — and may be the only chance that Rebel-sympathetic senators have to survive. Darth Vader Annual #1 (40 pages, $4.99), by series writer Kieron Gillen and artist Lenil Yu, finds Darth Vader heading to the planet Shu-Torin, where the Sith Lord seeks to destroy an uprising against the Empire.

graffix13

I wonder how long the main Star Wars comic series will follow the characters from the OT? I'd like to think that in a few years...maybe when we're in the middle of the new ST, that the comic series will shift focus to the new ST characters (Finn, Rey, Poe).

Don't get me wrong, I love the OT characters but there have been so many stories (both canon and non-canon) wrote about them over the last 30+ years, that it's perhaps time to move on. Let's embrace this new generation and follow their adventures.

JimiNutz

Banned
Are these annuals separate stories from the ongoing series or part of the same storyline? (haven't read any of the new comics yet)

Are these annuals separate stories from the ongoing series or part of the same storyline? (haven't read any of the new comics yet)

From the solicits the Star Wars annual looks like a one-off story with a new character, while the Darth Vader one is probably a continuation of the series. I expect it'll work as a one off story as well though.

Fj0823

The Last Padawan Question

How did Grey
Deactivated his Order 66 conditioning? I don't recall him getting hit in the head or anything...did he just put 2 and 2 together?

Starwars.com has a list of episodes in chronological order. In a few days I'm going to start a viewing of Clone Wars in that order. I had to download the whole series because it would be a pain in the ass to go back and forth on Netflix.

So knowing this, is it recommended to watch them in the order they're in on Netflix (I assume this is the order in which they were released?) or to go in chronological order? I made it through the first season a year or so ago before losing interest but hearing all the praise makes me think I really should give it another shot.

curb

Banned
So knowing this, is it recommended to watch them in the order they're in on Netflix (I assume this is the order in which they were released?) or to go in chronological order? I made it through the first season a year or so ago before losing interest but hearing all the praise makes me think I really should give it another shot.

The amount of times I was originally confused by the chronology was very few. You can do either way.

I'd go release order personally. It's more convenient and the chronology really isn't a big deal.

Boke1879

Man I stopped by my local Target after work. I'm trying to get a Rey Black Series figure. I went to the aisle and ALL the black series figures were gone expect one lone Finn box which I already have.

I've been checking amazon for Rey but I guess she hasn't been restocked yet.

I'd say release order. I'm only doing a chronological rewatch as part of watching everything in chronological order before the force awakens.

I'm stretching it over 3 months starting today.
Episode 1, 2, the Clone Wars chronological order, Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, 3, Kanan Comic, Star Wars Rebels (as much as is out when I get to that point), 4, Princess Leia/Star Wars/Darth Vader/Lando comics, 5, 6, then hopefully finish off the week the force awakens comes out with the Shattered Empire Comic series.

So unless it really bothers you being out of order, I'd go with release order.

Top Bottom