• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Fj0823

My Girlfriend and I have officially started watching The Clone Wars together.

Watched the "movie" yesterday, she was kinda confused and angry about Anakin "Cheating" and getting a Padawan despite him being a Padawan, So I had to explain that Anakin was already a Knight at that point, and showed her the Knighting scene of CW.

She said its stupid to add all these stuff instead of just doing it on movies, however she liked TCW Movie and fell in love with Ahsoka Tano. Says she wants to cosplay as her.

Rootbeer

Banned
I pre-ordered that $200+ book set of Ralph McQuarrie Star Wars art from Amazon. HALP.

I hope they offer a bigger discount closer to release.

I pre-ordered it too... thanks to the pre-order price guarantee if they drop the price at any point between now and release, you get the lower price, so I do that often to see just how low the price will go.

if I can get this for 40 or 50% off i'll keep the order, we'll see what happens!
Hang tight on that McQuarrie art book. You may be able to get it on sale at www.instocktrades.com on launch week for 50% off. They've been carrying the art books for all the major nerd-centric blockbusters even though they primarily sell comics.
Thanks, I'll be keeping my eye on this too. Never used them before. I'll sign up.

Never used them before. I'll sign up.

It's a great site to get graphic novels. I've been using them for years. But as to this, I've never seen them carry anything from Abrams. Or even anything movie-related (outside of the Marvel / DC film books) for that matter. The artbooks they do get are generally anime / video game artbooks from Udon or Viz.

Toxi

Banned
So wait when was Palpatine first stated to be Darth Sidious?
There was actually a popular theory before Episode 3 that Darth Sideous was Chancellor Palpatine's clone, since it seemed too obvious and Episode 2 focused so much on cloning.

Toxi

Banned
Ambassador Tamson is what would happen if Hody Jones were actually a competent villain.

And was voiced by someone who had no idea what accent he was supposed to be using.

Tizoc

There was actually a popular theory before Episode 3 that Darth Sideous was Chancellor Palpatine's clone, since it seemed too obvious and Episode 2 focused so much on cloning.

Oh so it wouldn't be until Episode 3 when they fully reveal Palpatine and Sidious being the same person right?

Has anyone played the fantasy flight Star Wars roleplaying game? I've been playing the Wizards of the coast game, but the guy who ran my game is moving to another state and we probably won't be able to play it anymore.

Has anyone played the fantasy flight Star Wars roleplaying game? I've been playing the Wizards of the coast game, but the guy who ran my game is moving to another state and we probably won't be able to play it anymore.

We're kicking off our Force and Destiny adventure this week actually. We're not really hardcore roleplayers, but we have had a stab at both Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion. It's great fun.

graffix13

Just finished The Morris Arc in TCW S3. It was better than what I was expecting.

I have to say though, I enjoyed S1 and S2 better than S3. There just were more 'war centered' episodes in the first two seasons.

JimiNutz

Banned
Just finished The Morris Arc in TCW S3. It was better than what I was expecting.

I have to say though, I enjoyed S1 and S2 better than S3. There just were more 'war centered' episodes in the first two seasons.

I was massively disappointed with season 3 especially since I'd heard it was when the show started to get really good.

Currently on season 4 and it's definitely better but I'm still not really understanding all the Clone Wars hype.
It's an ok show but certainly not some of the best Star Wars ever (not so far anyway).

curb

Banned

I think season 3 has just a bit too much Senate stuff in it.

Speaking of Clone Wars I finally decided to order Season 6. It doesn't look a though we'll be getting it on Blu-Ray in the UK after all so I bought it off Amazon Germany. The show looks so good on Blu-Ray, it would be a shame not have the entire series.

Toxi

Banned
I'm surprised so many people liked the Citadel episodes; I thought they really dragged and could have easily been two episodes instead off three.

PBalfredo

I think their magic rituals are just a different way of using the Force. When you think about it, the Force is magic. It can move objects, manipulate thoughts, enhance senses, reveal the future, create lightning... All very different ways of manipulating reality. So when I see the Night Sisters use "magic" to make someone invisible, I assume it's just another use of the Force.

Star Wars has always been heavily influenced by fantasy. Obi-Wan is an old bearded wizard, Yoda is a gnome, lightsaber are swords, Darth Vader is a black knight, the Emperor is an evil sorcerer... I think witches fit in just fine.

Especially since the witches expand on previously introduced parts of Star Wars (Assaj Ventress and Darth Maul) to make them more interesting.

While I usually just reconcile the Night Sisters magic as just being the Force, it never really sat well with me how much more showy it was than every other use of the Force, sans lightning.It's a weird inconsistency that's just stylistic more than anything, but still weirds me out a bit.

Of all the Star Wars parodies and homages that have been done over the years, has there been any that were a straight fantasy retelling of Star Wars?

graffix13

Of all the Star Wars parodies and homages that have been done over the years, has there been any that were a straight fantasy retelling of Star Wars?

Game of Thrones maybe? Well in the sense of Jon Snow's parentage. I think GRR Martin said it was Luke Skywalker-ish. Whatever that could mean.

Fj0823

While I usually just reconcile the Night Sisters magic as just being the Force, it never really sat well with me how much more showy it was than every other use of the Force, sans lightning.It's a weird inconsistency that's just stylistic more than anything, but still weirds me out a bit.

I don't have a problem with a planet of Witches, I mean the force can't be the only mystical thing in the galaxy.

But I would've liked it to be expanded upon.

Wouldnt those be the 2 parts of "The Siege of Lothal"?
It's 'The Lost Commanders' and 'Relics of the Old Republic', the first two episodes after 'Lothal' with Rex and co. Unfortunately they're on the SkyGo app and I don't have Sky. Making Star Wars seemed to enjoy them though.

Sayers

It's 'The Lost Commanders' and 'Relics of the Old Republic', the first two episodes after 'Lothal' with Rex and co. Unfortunately they're on the SkyGo app and I don't have Sky. Making Star Wars seemed to enjoy them though.

I had not heard about that one. Perhaps they will re-canonize Revan and KOTOR?

Sayers

Bummer. Kind of odd for them to call it that given the term "Old Republic" has a very specific meaning in Star Wars, including in a product that is ongoing.

curb

Banned
Bummer. Kind of odd for them to call it that given the term "Old Republic" has a very specific meaning in Star Wars, including in a product that is ongoing.

I think it has a very specific meaning in Star Wars video games which to me has an audience a lot smaller than that of Star Wars as a whole.

I think it has a very specific meaning in Star Wars video games which to me has an audience a lot smaller than that of Star Wars as a whole.

Yea, iirc the Old Republic was a concept / plot device before KotoR rolled around. And while I could see elements* of those games rolled into canon, I doubt we would see them in their entirety restored.

*Vader comic spoiler:
The murderous protocol droid reminded me quite a bit of HK.

So do people in the galaxy know that Anakin is Vader? I mean, Obi Wan and Yoda etc do of course, but what about say, the people of Mos Espa and Mos Eisley? Anakin seems like he should be semi well known… he was building a pretty good bit of notoriety as a pod racer, and the townsfolk seem to like him. He left and became a Jedi and a war hero.

In fact, how about Jabba specifically? You'd think he'd be familiar with "Little Annie" since he presided over the races, especially the big Boonta Eve Classic that Anakin famously won. And then Anakin and Ashoka recovered his son later. Then further down the road, Vader meets with him again right after Yavin, as seen in the new comics. So does Jabba know that it was the pod racer boy who saved his son? Seems like he should. And does he know he's Vader?

Owen and Beru seem to know that Vader is Anakin. But what about his childhood friends, or the old lady with the fruit stand? People like that?

Hell what about people of Naboo? Do the history books show that former Queen then Senator Padme married a Jedi? What are the circumstances of her death according to their history? Hell, Anakin should be a national hero to them too, really. And Qui-Gon, Obi Wan and Jar Jar should be too… I mean, the entire planet was taken hostage, that should be one of the most historically significant things that ever happened to Naboo, plus it seems to have led to the global desegregation of the formerly incommunicado two planetary species, the Gungans and the Naboo. That should be hugely significant history and everybody involved should be extremely famous figures. Do THEY know that Anakin grew up to become Vader, not to mention married and impregnated one of their most famous and beloved leaders?

And (whether or not people know that Anakin is vader) how is Luke not famous from birth for being one the son of the storied pod racing star/co-liberator of Naboo/hero of the Clone Wars? Do they think Darth Vader killed the Jedi and they don't know he ever had another identity? Do they figure that Anakin just got killed like the rest of them?

Sayers

Tatooine seems like it is pretty remote and unconnected to the rest of galactic civilization. They don't seem to give a shit about galactic politics. Hell, in TPM they mention specifically that the slave trade operates openly on Tatooine even though it is illegal. As for Jabba, I think he also falls in the "doesn't give a fuck" category.

The Star Wars galaxy is so large and so populated, with thousands of worlds constituting both sides of the conflict as well as, apparently, 10,000 Jedi Knights. The stories we see are a just a tiny fraction of what was going on.

And nobody,
save Ahsoka
, knew about Anakin and Padme and Yoda and Obi-Wan covered it up when they found out. They hid Luke on Tatooine where, again, people seemed to not be engaged in galactic politics.

Finally, given
Ahsoka's reaction
I think it is safe to assume most people do not know that Vader and Anakin are the same person. If she, of all people, did not know that, I don't know why the average citizen would.

So do people in the galaxy know that Anakin is Vader? I mean, Obi Wan and Yoda etc do of course, but what about say, the people of Mos Espa and Mos Eisley? Anakin seems like he should be semi well known… he was building a pretty good bit of notoriety as a pod racer, and the townsfolk seem to like him. He left and became a Jedi and a war hero.

In fact, how about Jabba specifically? You'd think he'd be familiar with "Little Annie" since he presided over the races, especially the big Boonta Eve Classic that Anakin famously won. And then Anakin and Ashoka recovered his son later. Then further down the road, Vader meets with him again right after Yavin, as seen in the new comics. So does Jabba know that it was the pod racer boy who saved his son? Seems like he should. And does he know he's Vader?

Owen and Beru seem to know that Vader is Anakin. But what about his childhood friends, or the old lady with the fruit stand? People like that?

Hell what about people of Naboo? Do the history books show that former Queen then Senator Padme married a Jedi? What are the circumstances of her death according to their history? Hell, Anakin should be a national hero to them too, really. And Qui-Gon, Obi Wan and Jar Jar should be too… I mean, the entire planet was taken hostage, that should be one of the most historically significant things that ever happened to Naboo, plus it seems to have led to the global desegregation of the formerly incommunicado two planetary species, the Gungans and the Naboo. That should be hugely significant history and everybody involved should be extremely famous figures. Do THEY know that Anakin grew up to become Vader, not to mention married and impregnated one of their most famous and beloved leaders?

And (whether or not people know that Anakin is vader) how is Luke not famous from birth for being one the son of the storied pod racing star/co-liberator of Naboo/hero of the Clone Wars? Do they think Darth Vader killed the Jedi and they don't know he ever had another identity? Do they figure that Anakin just got killed like the rest of them?

Nobody knows who Vader is.

In the Tarkin book,
Tarkin gets suspicions of who Vader is based on mannerisms and such, but he doesn't really get it confirmed (or practically confirmed) until the end of the book. And the only reason he figured it out was because of his extensive history with Skywalker in the Clone Wars and his ability to think things through so well.

In A New Dawn
I'm pretty sure Kanan explicitly mentions in an inner monologue that Anakin died in the Purge along with everyone else. Or so he thinks.

In Lords of the Sith, the
Rebel group on the planet know of who Vader is as an agent of Emperor Palpatine, but not who he is beyond that.

So, in short, it's widely thought that Skywalker died along with every other Jedi in the Purge, and that Palpatine just found Vader somewhere. There was some speculation that he might be some special clone trooper, or a cyborg from the Clone Wars, or something else. Any questions about it brought imprisonment/death, if I'm remembering something right in Tarkin or Lords of the Sith.

As for Skywalker's notoriety on Tatooine, I got the impression from the Pod Races that while certain racers get a lot of fandom, for the most part they are forgotten about a year or two down the road.

In Jabba's case, when Anakin and Ahsoka rescued his son, that was a good 10 or so years after the Boonta Eve Classic in Episode I. Try and think of the winner of the Superbowl 10 years ago. Now try and think of who won MVP. Now try and imagine that you are an intergalactic gangster in charge of not only your city's nefarious activities, but also illegal trade around your entire planet and planetary system.

I don't blame Jabba for losing track of who Skywalker was. Now, Jabba forgetting who Skywalker and Ahsoka were after bringing his son back is a bit more hard to believe, but at the same time, I doubt a father remembers the name of the police officer who brought back his kidnapped daughter 20 years ago. Given all those factors I listed above, I find it even more doubtful.

The whole Naboo/Padme thing can be written off as being a secret. As far as I know, Padme went around without telling anyone who the father was. They purposely inflated what she was wearing at her funeral to make it look like she died without giving birth. Nobody asked questions about it because of who she was, what they saw, and what they were told.

Toxi

Banned

Most people probably assume Anakin Skywalker was killed with all the other Jedi in Order 66. Since he started going by the name Darth Vader and wearing a mask 24/7, there was no reason to believe otherwise. Obi-Wan presumably told Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru the truth.

As for why Luke isn't famous, he lives on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

Also in Lords of the Sith,
it isn't really known that Vader has powers. He is rumored to have powers, but very few people who know about them survive.

curb

Banned
Yea, iirc the Old Republic was a concept / plot device before KotoR rolled around. And while I could see elements* of those games rolled into canon, I doubt we would see them in their entirety restored.

*Vader comic spoiler:
The murderous protocol droid reminded me quite a bit of HK.

That actual term comes from one of Obi-Wan's lines in ANH. It's just come to mean something more for a subsection of gamers.

Also, I love that
droid

Well, that makes sense. So people who did know who Anakin was just thought exactly what "Ben" told Luke... that Vader killed him along with everyone else.

curb

Banned
Well, that makes sense. So people who did know who Anakin was just thought exactly what "Ben" told Luke... that Vader killed him along with everyone else.

I think that makes sense. Pre-mask, if Anakin did his job right at the Jedi temple then anyone who would have know him would be dead.

Tizoc

I just now discovered that the Gungan chief in Phantom Menace is voiced by BRIAN BLESSED.
Say what you will about the character but in my book BRIAN BLESSED's voice acting performance is among the few pros of that movie.

I just now discovered that the Gungan chief in Phantom Menace is voiced by BRIAN BLESSED.
Say what you will about the character but in my book BRIAN BLESSED's voice acting performance is among the few pros of that movie.

Holy shit. Of course it is. Haha, never actually knew it was him.

graffix13

I'm surprised so many people liked the Citadel episodes; I thought they really dragged and could have easily been two episodes instead off three.

Watching these now and yeah they are...ok. It kind of bothered me that at the
beginning of the arc they get carbon frozen to avoid detection. I mean, yeah I get it....but I just think carbon freezing a living lifeform is VERY risky and would, in 99% of the cases, kill the actual person being frozen. That's why it was such a big deal when Han was frozen in ESB. No one knew if he would survive the process. I guess in this case since they are Jedi, they have a bit more tolerance/training for this sort of thing. I dunno...I just wish they would keep some little things like this unique and not overuse elements from the movies.

Tatooine seems like it is pretty remote and unconnected to the rest of galactic civilization. They don't seem to give a shit about galactic politics. Hell, in TPM they mention specifically that the slave trade operates openly on Tatooine even though it is illegal. As for Jabba, I think he also falls in the "doesn't give a fuck" category.

The Star Wars galaxy is so large and so populated, with thousands of worlds constituting both sides of the conflict as well as, apparently, 10,000 Jedi Knights. The stories we see are a just a tiny fraction of what was going on.

And nobody,
save Ahsoka
, knew about Anakin and Padme and Yoda and Obi-Wan covered it up when they found out. They hid Luke on Tatooine where, again, people seemed to not be engaged in galactic politics.

Finally, given
Ahsoka's reaction
I think it is safe to assume most people do not know that Vader and Anakin are the same person. If she, of all people, did not know that, I don't know why the average citizen would.

Most people probably assume Anakin Skywalker was killed with all the other Jedi in Order 66. Since he started going by the name Darth Vader and wearing a mask 24/7, there was no reason to believe otherwise. Obi-Wan presumably told Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru the truth.

As for why Luke isn't famous, he lives on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

Yep, I think only a small group of people (as of TFA) know that Anakin was Vader. Which is going to be very ironic if the
Knights of Ren are fighting in Vader's name (when he turned back to good at the end of RotJ).

Toxi

Banned
Watching these now and yeah they are...ok. It kind of bothered me that at the
beginning of the arc they get carbon frozen to avoid detection. I mean, yeah I get it....but I just think carbon freezing a living lifeform is VERY risky and would, in 99% of the cases, kill the actual person being frozen. That's why it was such a big deal when Han was frozen in ESB. No one knew if he would survive the process. I guess in this case since they are Jedi, they have a bit more tolerance/training for this sort of thing. I dunno...I just wish they would keep some little things like this unique and not overuse elements from the movies.
Yeah, I didn't like that either. Felt like a forced reference, especially with
the same little Cloud City aliens operating the carbon freezing equipment.

Yeah, it was a bit forced. I expect there would be more human-friendly freezing processes. Carbon freezing was supposed to be for industrial purposes after all. Still, I thought it was a fun arc overall.

Gravidee

The rationale behind using the carbon freezing in that episode was that the equipment that they used was well maintained so there was little danger of anyone dying in the process. I'm guessing those little aliens are just the go-to guys for carbon freezing cause they're experts or something. Meanwhile, in ESB, Vader remarked that the facility used on Cloud City was crude, so there was no guarantee that Han wouldn't die.

Speaking of that arc, the reprogrammed battle droids were pretty fun.

curb

Banned
Disney Infinity has got me in pre-OT mode. I'm at home watching Phantom Menace right now and I forgot how much I like Liam Neeson as a Jedi. Makes me glad he at least
showed up as a disembodied voice in Clone Wars

Speaking of. Season one of Clone Wars certainly isn't as good as the latter seasons but it sure has its great moments. Today I watched the episode with
Master Luminara and Ahsoka vs Ventress
. Such a great fight.

Sayers

Speaking of. Season one of Clone Wars certainly isn't as good as the latter seasons but it sure has its great moments. Today I watched the episode with
Master Luminara and Ahsoka vs Ventress
. Such a great fight.

One of my favorite episodes

Top Bottom