• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Toxi

Banned
So far my favorite part of the Citadel arc is seeing a young
Tarkin
I'd have liked it better if
young Tarkin
wasn't so useless. He keeps talking about what has to be done to win wars, yet never does anything to actually contribute beyond whining.

graffix13

I'd have liked it better if
young Tarkin
wasn't so useless. He keeps talking about what has to be done to win wars, yet never does anything to actually contribute beyond whining.

Yep. Finished the arc last night and he was pretty useless.

Tizoc

So I'm watching Revenge of the Sith and uh
Why is Anikin not weirded out by Palpatine, who far as he knows isn't a Jedi, knowing so much about this Darth Plague guy?
Is Palpatine influencing Ani without him knowing?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I cant believe I honestly preordered those Trading Card Books.

But those screens with the movie scenes you guys posted looked so beautiful.

And why has this OT Artbook to be so expensive :(

Tizoc

So what's up with Sidious 'disfiguration'? Was he always looking like that or something?
I also find it rather silly how Anikin quickly joins his side are Mace Windu dies....

Which begs me to wonder...was Sidious' plan this whole time, throughout the Prequel Trilogy to find a way to turn the republic against the Jedi and wipe them out? I'll give him props for that...

I gotta say though Anikin turning to the Dark Side just to save Padme and how it happened and the killing of the Jedi it's all so....dumb..

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So what's up with Sidious 'disfiguration'? Was he always looking like that or something?
I also find it rather silly how Anikin quickly joins his side are Mace Windu dies....

Which begs me to wonder...was Sidious' plan this whole time, throughout the Prequel Trilogy to find a way to turn the republic against the Jedi and wipe them out? I'll give him props for that...

I gotta say though Anikin turning to the Dark Side just to save Padme and how it happened and the killing of the Jedi it's all so....dumb..
Its scars plus the fact, that the dark side tends to uglify people.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Force#Corruption_of_the_dark_side

Meowster

Does the new EU go into Leia's relationship with Bail and Breha? I've always been interested in it and how long she'd known that she was adopted/what she knew about her real mother?

I'm pretty sure I remember Lucas saying that his scarred face is caused by the lightning. I always preferred the alternative personally.

As for Anakin's turn to the dark side, it is too quick in the film. The Clone Wars did a good job in adding to the reasons why leaving the Order seemed more plausible, but it does all feel a bit rushed. Having three films based on an adult Anakin would have given them more time.

And yeah, Sidious ensured he stayed in power by making the war drag on. At some point he decided Anakin is the one who'll help him destroy the Jedi and uses Anakin's weaknesses (ie. fear over Padme dying) to get him on side.

Does the new EU go into Leia's relationship with Bail and Breha? I've always been interested in it and how long she'd known that she was adopted/what she knew about her real mother?

I don't think there's been anything about her relationship with them specifically but the Leia comic series is about her trying to find Alderaanians that are still out there after Alderaan's destruction.

curb

Banned
As for Anakin's turn to the dark side, it is too quick in the film. The Clone Wars did a good job in adding to the reasons why leaving the Order seemed more plausible, but it does all feel a bit rushed. Having three films based on an adult Anakin would have given them more time.

Absolutely

Sayers

So I'm watching Revenge of the Sith and uh
Why is Anikin not weirded out by Palpatine, who far as he knows isn't a Jedi, knowing so much about this Darth Plague guy?
Is Palpatine influencing Ani without him knowing?

Yes, Anakin's turn to the Dark Side is handled incredibly poorly, as is most of the prequel trilogy.

As Wadium said, The Clone Wars fixes many of the problems of the PT as best it can while also being an awesome show in its own right. Watch that.

Tizoc

OK next up
Rewatch Empire Strikes Back
Then onwards to the animated Clone Wars series

I do agree that the prequel trilogy should've been about an older Anakin.

Meowster

I like the poetic justice of Anakin turning to the dark side because of his love for his wife and then turning back to the light because of his love for his son. Just wish it was executed better. The Clone Wars show does a better job of building up Anakin and Padmé's relationship that their scenes in III feel like they have more weight and are more tragic.
I don't think there's been anything about her relationship with them specifically but the Leia comic series is about her trying to find Alderaanians that are still out there after Alderaan's destruction.
Sounds great. I'll be sure to check it out.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
i would suggest most people just watch TCW instead of the PT

the difference in quality is staggering

Anakin is actually an interesting character in TCW, which alone puts it head and shoulders above any of the PT films.

Not sure if this was shared, but some exciting quotes from John Boyega in GQ:

Boyega, 23, said: “When I read the script I cried, and I’m not really a big crier ... I’m more like a frog-in-the-throat kind of guy, who’ll try to hold it in and make sure I don’t let it all out.”

His breakthrough role was in 2011’s Attack The Block, but his role as Finn is set to make him a worldwide star. Of his character, he said: “Finn is dope. He is a heightened Hollywood leading man version of myself; his story is so epic.

“It’s a story that’s never been seen before, but it also mirrors the stories of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. And he’s quirky and charismatic and funny. For me, he was the best character in the script.

More here.

That was his plan. The prequel trilogy makes it look more like Palpatine just got lucky with things working out for him. But he was planning everything. The Invasion of Naboo was planned so he could have a vote of no confidence called, which got him elected. It also set up the Trade Federation to want to join the Seperatists. The Clone Wars also goes more into his plan.

graffix13

I like the poetic justice of Anakin turning to the dark side because of his love for his wife and then turning back to the light because of his love for his son. Just wish it was executed better. The Clone Wars show does a better job of building up Anakin and Padmé's relationship that their scenes in III feel like they have more weight and are more tragic.

Yep, I agree. Anakin never really realized he was 'dark side' until it was too late. He was so obsessed with saving Padme (unlike he could do with his mother), that he was ignoring the consequences.

PT Palpatine, and his scheme, is done pretty well. Maybe the best piece of writing that Lucas pulled off in his career.

edit: Huh. Apparently there's a Legends book that suggests Anakin wasn't created by you know who. I wonder how that will be treated going forward. RotS has a scene where it is very heavily implied. Shame if the new films/canon follow the book, as it's one of the best things about that film.

TrueBlue

Having watched seasons 1-5 of TCW on DVD, I can officially join in on being a fan. Thinking of making a thread about it actually. Does a lot of things right.

Just one example: Matt Lanter is an excellent Anakin. Glad they didn't go down the 2D Clone Wars route and try and get someone who sounds like Hayden.

curb

Banned
PT Palpatine, and his scheme, is done pretty well. Maybe the best piece of writing that Lucas pulled off in his career.

edit: Huh. Apparently there's a Legends book that suggests Anakin wasn't created by you know who. I wonder how that will be treated going forward. RotS has a scene where it is very heavily implied. Shame if the new films/canon follow the book, as it's one of the best things about that film.

I don't know who.

Meowster

I think everyone (or most people at least) can agree that Palpatine's rise to power was one of the best, if not the best, parts of the Prequels. It was the perfect mirror shadow of Anakin's rise to prominence within the Jedi. If only AOTC had a different direction so we could see this better in the movies.. it's the crux to so many things.

Hagi

I don't know who.

Plagueis

I remember reading stuff about how he created Anakin with the midichlorians I thought it was some made up bullshit though. It's "implied" in the film apparently but I haven't watched RotS since it came out.

Although it's not stated explicitly, I think we're meant to believe Anakin was created by the force itself. Shmi said there was no father, there's the high midi-chlorian count and in the Tarkin novel, Sidious recalls Plagueis said the force could 'strike back'. That would be in response to Bane, Plagueis and then Palpatine's attempts to tip the balance of the force. It was probably indirectly caused by Plagueis' attempts.

Sayers

Yep, I agree. Anakin never really realized he was 'dark side' until it was too late. He was so obsessed with saving Padme (unlike he could do with his mother), that he was ignoring the consequences.

That's all well and good but it does nothing to explain why he is so easily able to decide that "THE JEDI ARE EVIL" and then go forth and slaughter his brothers and sisters in the Order.

I think everyone (or most people at least) can agree that Palpatine's rise to power was one of the best, if not the best, parts of the Prequels. It was the perfect mirror shadow of Anakin's rise to prominence within the Jedi. If only AOTC had a different direction so we could see this better in the movies.. it's the crux to so many things.

I agree although I think it is yet another thing that TCW does even better.

Fj0823

That's all well and good but it does nothing to explain why he is so easily able to decide that "THE JEDI ARE EVIL" and then go forth and slaughter his brothers and sisters in the Order.

I agree although I think it is yet another thing that TCW does even better.

Only in episode 3 you see the following

Yoda: "Lol help the one who will die? Lol nope, be happy she gets to die a painful death and join the force!!"

Mace: "We must take control of the senate, I´ll kill this "unarmed" Old sith, no trials, also yeah I don't trust you motherfucker"

Obi-Wan: "Dude you must spy on your old friend,kthxbye going to talk privately to your wife, in your house, about how "confused" you are"

C´mon. From his perspective, it is quite uncool

Sayers

Yoda: "Lol help the one who will die? Lol nope, be happy she gets to die a painful death and join the force!!"

Mace: "We must take control of the senate, I´ll kill this "unarmed" Old sith, no trials, also yeah I don't trust you motherfucker"

Obi-Wan: "Dude you must spy on your old friend,kthxbye going to talk privately to your wife, in your house, about how "confused" you are"

C´mon. From his perspective, it is quite uncool

True enough but his response was completely unearned.

Fj0823

True enough but his response was completely unearned.

Well if to that you add the stress of having killed Windu, having no other options or anyone else to turn after that and especially the clock ticking on Padme´s life plus the Dark Side's trademark rush of emotions like hate and anger, an argument could be made about his actions.

IDK man, 14 year old me bought it at theaters.

graffix13

There were rumors that Lucas was going to really stress that Anakin thought Padme and Obi Wan were having an affair. There were really, really subtle hints but I wish they would have fleshed that out more.

Fj0823

There were rumors that Lucas was going to really stress that Anakin thought Padme and Obi Wan were having an affair. There were really, really subtle hints but I wish they would have fleshed that out more.

I thought it was pretty clear in the movie.

But as a central theme?....I don't think it wouldve been wise to have a love triangle become a focus in a movie when George is pretty bad at writting romances (Yes, even Leia and Han suck)

curb

Banned
Plagueis

I remember reading stuff about how he created Anakin with the midichlorians I thought it was some made up bullshit though. It's "implied" in the film apparently but I haven't watched RotS since it came out.

Although it's not stated explicitly, I think we're meant to believe Anakin was created by the force itself. Shmi said there was no father, there's the high midi-chlorian count and in the Tarkin novel, Sidious recalls Plagueis said the force could 'strike back'. That would be in response to Bane, Plagueis and then Palpatine's attempts to tip the balance of the force. It was probably indirectly caused by Plagueis' attempts.

I never read Palpatine's line to mean that Plagueis had anything to do with Anakin's existence. Is there anything canon-wise that backs that up? I always thought it was just a Force "miracle".

Sayers

I never read Palpatine's line to mean that Plagueis had anything to do with Anakin's existence. Is there anything canon-wise that backs that up? I always thought it was just a Force "miracle".

I think with the emphasis they put on how he could manipulate midichlorians to create life alongside the assertion that Anakin was conceived by midichlorians, it's pretty obvious what conclusion they wanted the audience to reach.

Simply listing the plot points isn't a great explanation as to why he acts the way he acts because those plot points weren't essayed in the film proper in any meaningful way. Yeah, they're there. But their execution was largely ineffectual.

It's compounded by the fact that the decision was made to essentially cripple the emotionality of ANY main character. And there are plot reasons for that decision as well, but again - not executed well.

So you have a bunch of characters who are supposed to be super-emotionally reserved, reacting mildly to affronts on their person that we're not sure they actually regard as affronts on their person. In fact, the entire interpersonal framework all these characters operate within is designed to make the audience question whether ANYONE should be feeling ANYTHING on a personal level.

Everyone (except for Palpatine, really) has to occupy a very narrow band of possible emotion, and when plot points get brought up that need to occur outside that narrow band, they don't weigh as much as they should, because the movie's devalued them.

curb

Banned
I think with the emphasis they put on how he could manipulate midichlorians to create life alongside the assertion that Anakin was conceived by midichlorians, it's pretty obvious what conclusion they wanted the audience to reach.

I didn't get that at all. I always took that more as just something to convince Anakin that the Jedi didn't have the ability to save Padme from what what he saw in his dreams. It's very vague either way you take it though.

Sayers

Simply listing the plot points isn't a great explanation as to why he acts the way he acts because those plot points weren't essayed in the film proper in any meaningful way. Yeah, they're there. But their execution was largely ineffectual.

It's compounded by the fact that the decision was made to essentially cripple the emotionality of ANY main character. And there are plot reasons for that decision as well, but again - not executed well.

So you have a bunch of characters who are supposed to be super-emotionally reserved, reacting mildly to affronts on their person that we're not sure they actually regard as affronts on their person. In fact, the entire interpersonal framework all these characters operate within is designed to make the audience question whether ANYONE should be feeling ANYTHING on a personal level.

Everyone (except for Palpatine, really) has to occupy a very narrow band of possible emotion, and when plot points get brought up that need to occur outside that narrow band, they don't weigh as much as they should, because the movie's devalued them.

This is I think what I was trying to get at. Yes, the Jedi grab the Idiot Ball and fucking run with it, but (and forgive me if I am mis-remembering as I have not seen ROTS in several years) Anakin really does not react or behave in a way that naturally and understandably leads to him deciding that the Jedi purge is a reasonable option.

Meowster

This would have been really interesting if it were done well but I'm not sure if I would trust Lucas.

This is I think what I was trying to get at. Yes, the Jedi grab the Idiot Ball and fucking run with it, but (and forgive me if I am mis-remembering as I have not seen ROTS in several years) Anakin really does not react or behave in a way that naturally and understandably leads to him deciding that the Jedi purge is a reasonable option.

Right. It all ends up playing as lip service at best. It's the story kinda gesturing at the plot points as they stride from one to the next, instead of stopping and selling them.

Palpatine saying that Plagueis had figured out how to create life (and even prevent death), directly to Anakin, whom we know was miraculously conceived, as the two of them stare at giant floating human egg cells?

I mean, with Lucas, it could be totally unintentional, but I like to think he was being somewhat skillful with plot there.

Tizoc

Yeah these movies really fall under 'bad execution'.
Though if Anikin actually told Yoda and Obi Wan beforehand that he's married Padme and they have a child I think they both would've been understanding, and helped him through his troubles.

Anakin thinking the Jedi Order would've taken control of the senate is overblown by him; the last thing the Jedi seem to want is to have control of the senate, they just want a transition so that they can go back to being keepers of the peace rather than soldiers.

Wait really? After Part 3 I assumed that person had a hand in it.

Tizoc

OK WTF is this....
Padmé's death seemingly centered on a Force-choke from Darth Vader, which she clearly survived. It is explained in supplementary material that the Polis Massa, the aliens that Obi Wan and Yoda meet with in the epilogue, are supposedly not good doctors and do not know what the reason behind her dwindling health is. It is also explained in said supplementary materials that it was trachea damage they couldn't detect.

From TVTropes, are your for reals, Lucas?

Toxi

Banned
After Bossk's protective behavior towards Boba Fett in the episode "Deception," I've got to wonder what the two were thinking when they were both separately hired by Vader to capture Han Solo.
OK WTF is this....

From TVTropes, are your for reals, Lucas?
TV Tropes doesn't source entries and can be edited by anyone. I wouldn't take stock in anything you read there without further confirmation.

A little bit from Del Toro on Episode VIII.

"I know that Star Wars fans are hardcore and I'm very excited to be part of this great franchise," Del Toro told the BBC."I read the script and l can tell you it's a very good script."

Director Rian Johnson's as-yet-untitled sequel is due out in May 2017. Del Toro, who is in London to promote his latest film Sicario, said he couldn't reveal much about the character he'd be playing.

"I haven't started it put it together. I'll build it with the director. I don't like to talk about things until they're done. I almost feel like you jinx it. Walk the walk and then talk the talk.
"But walk the walk first."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34329523

In ESB Yoda tells Luke to not go to Bespin and save his friends and Luke is positive they will die if he doesn't go. Obi-wan says "even Yoda cannot see their fate." Which is from experience. Yoda should have said the same to Anakin and he might have if he knew how close this person was to Anakin. Although Yoda still says, in response to Luke asking if he should sacrifice Han and Leia (apparently not caring about Chewbacca), "If you honor what they fight for? Yes." Yoda is pretty okay with people dying, probably because he knows there is life after death. At the time of RotS and his conversation with Anakin, he was already communicating with Qui-gon.

Well Yoda says in ESB, "If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice." The Dark Side isn't reasonable. As soon as he made the choice to save Sidious that was it. He can express all kinds of regret, but there was no turning back. He was fully consumed. For me that line has more meaning with prequels because we see Anakin fell because of love and family, which makes his appeal to Luke that much more high stakes. It worked on Anakin, will it work on Luke?

And that's about as much as I feel like defending the Prequels.

Top Bottom