• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

I've ordered the first wave off Zavvi but they're not supposed to get them until October. Ridiculously hard to find here.

I got everything but the Trooper. And my local Toys R Us is shite at restocking. I imagine it's a nationwide issue. I've never had to rely on them for items before. It ain't like the US were the assorted Marts have something to offer. Usually my local Forbidden Planet has something but nope just the basic figures. It took Force Friday for me to realise how popular the black series actually was.

For the next wave it looks like I'll have to ebay it at this rate.

graffix13

Is this "Black Series" a Hasbro thing? I have been thinking of getting into SW figure collecting (against my better judgement) but there are just so many variations. Black Series is both 3.75 inch and 6 inch, right?

I like most of the figures from The Vintage Collection. The cards are old school. But so damn expensive.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is this "Black Series" a Hasbro thing? I have been thinking of getting into SW figure collecting (against my better judgement) but there are just so many variations. Black Series is both 3.75 inch and 6 inch, right?

I like most of the figures from The Vintage Collection. The cards are old school. But so damn expensive.
Yes, all of the figure lines you described are Hasbro.

Black Series has two figure sizes: 6" and 3.75". The Force Awakens 3.75 line is Wal-Mart exclusive in the USA right now, for reasons unknown since that same line was available at all retailers in the past. The 6" figures are available at all retailers that carry the larger figures.

The Vintage Collection is a 3.75 line that came before the Black Series. It had a great variety of characters throughout its run, and the figures came with nice accessories. The Black Series feels like a slight step-down in that regard but it's still the best you'll find in that size in the USA. Since the Vintage Collection though, prices have gone up, accessories seem to have gone down and arguably paint has even worsened. So it's really not the best time for 3.75 figures.

Toxi

Banned
Man, the Clone Wars episode "Night Sisters" is awesome. Dathomir is the sort of stuff I wanted to see from Clone Wars: Another side of the Star Wars universe that has a unique flavor while still fitting in.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Man, the Clone Wars episode "Night Sisters" is awesome. Dathomir is the sort of stuff I wanted to see from Clone Wars: Another side of the Star Wars universe that has a unique flavor while still fitting in.

yeah i just watched that arc last week, it's really good. TCW is really making me appreciate Star Wars world building.

MattyG

Banned
Empire Magazine claims that John Landis said Disney is releasing the theatrical cuts:
https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/645035349006159872
SAfO9wZ.gif

Please be true.

curb

Banned
Huh.

So Landis said he heard it from Lucas the last time he talked. So at the least this is three steps removed from an actual source within Lucasfilm. (which is weird to say considering one of those steps is George Lucas)

I don't feel that this is the most reliable source. Every time I see this come up there's seems to be a lot of evidence against this ever happening. Fox, Lucas himself and all that. I'm not putting a lot of stock in this rumor myself.

Neither am I, mostly because Devin Faraci accidentally leaked the content of the 4k remasters awhile ago. The versions of the films aren't the original theatrical ones.

Toxi

Banned
Huh.

So Landis said he heard it from Lucas the last time he talked. So at the least this is three steps removed from an actual source within Lucasfilm. (which is weird to say considering one of those steps is George Lucas)
Would Lucasfilm be the distributor of hypothetical theatrical releases?

Would Lucasfilm be the distributor of hypothetical theatrical releases?

Disney can't just put out Lucasfilm product without Lucasfilm involvement. They own Lucasfilm, yeah, but Lucasfilm would still have to actually provide them the product before they could distribute it.

Lucasfilm apparently did not restore the original theatrical versions. The 4K versions reportedly are some sort of "split the difference" version, where some changes are reverted to original form, and other changes are left alone (or further revised). This information was revealed essentially on accident by Devin Faraci, who assumed the 4K versions would be the basis of the digital releases on iTunes, and wrote up an article without actually checking to see if those versions were in fact what got released, and then had to mea culpa afterwards and explain how/why he fucked the story up.

Now, it's entirely possible Lucasfilm could, if they wanted, alter this 4K remaster to look exactly like the theatricals. But they'd have to actually do that first, and they're likely not going to spend the money to do that after having just spent the money to get these things remastered in the first place.

So either Landis heard Lucas wrong, or Lucas misinterpreted what Landis was asking, or Lucas simply doesn't really know what's up (he also previously said Kasdan/Abrams threw out all his story ideas when it turns out that's not actually the case, either) and is just kinda guessing.

The whole thing is weird and annoying.

Fj0823

I'm happy for those of you who´ll get the theatrical release.

But I kinda want to have both options available for everyone, the new releases with all the changes I liked but correcting stuff like Han shooting was a dream come true to me.

I really like the continuity changes

I hope we get both.

So I've got a question. Why does it seem like most Star Wars art prints are insanely expensive? I can't seem to find anything that I really like for under $150-$200. It's been that way as far back as I can remember. Even the stuff they sold directly on Star Wars Shop was really pricey.

Funny story here.

I'm at Target yesterday just browsing. Big construction worker guy comes up to the electronics help desk with a phone at his ear. Starts talking to the worker there while also talking on the phone, basically being a jerk.

He has the blu ray trilogy pack of 4/5/6 in his hand and he asks the worker, "Is this the redone version?"

Worker gets confused. "What do you mean?"

"The redone version. You know, they went back and remade the originals."

Employee makes a face and looks at the movies then back at the guy. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't play games with me, I know they went back and remade the original ones with new people and new graphics and new everything but these just look like the old shit. Those were good when I was a kid but now I want the good redone shit."

Worker is really confused and calls over another employee to help. They ask the guy if he means 1/2/3. Guy starts getting mad and calling those movies terrible and he wants the remade versions of 4/5/6. They tell him that doesn't exist. He demands to see the inventory. They bring it up and it's just 1/2/3 combo and 4/5/6 combo. Exactly what they have on shelf. He says that Target's system must be wrong because he knows for a fact that 4/5/6 were redone. Not remastered or enhanced or anything. Full on remakes.

He starts getting really defensive and calling the employees names. He's saying the names on their nametags into his phone and telling whoever he is talking to, to write down their names so he can get them fired.

They ask him to leave. He starts getting more mad about it and ends up cussing them out as he's walking out, calling them stupid employees and saying that Target should be embarrassed that with as big of a product as Star Wars is and for having posters everywhere about the Star Wars merchandise they don't have the most important thing: the remade version of episodes 4, 5, and 6.

Star Wars gets people heated. Even when they have no clue as to what they are talking about.

Rootbeer

Banned
An unfortunate story that I am sure is ALL TOO COMMON for many people working in retail. I only worked retail for about 3 months when I was a teenager and it was terrible. Mostly because of the people, not the job itself.

Zombine

Banned
I just want a happy medium cut that removes some of the more jarring additions to the OT (R2's extra rocks, Vader "Noooooo" at the end of Jedi, Han shoots second etc.) while retaining things like the light saber correction and some of the audio stuff. We can get a really nice definitive cut, but I don't believe that the answer is just to go back to the beginning and calling it a day.

Rootbeer

Banned
I just want a happy medium cut that removes some of the more jarring additions to the OT (R2's extra rocks, Vader "Noooooo" at the end of Jedi, Han second first etc.) while retaining things like the light saber correction and some of the audio stuff. We can get a really nice definitive cut, but I don't believe that the answer is just to go back to the beginning and calling it a day.

I have similar feelings about it. I'd like a cut that removes the controversial things about the Blu-Ray editions but has all of the improvements. But ultimately, some people want no improvements at all and just want to see them the way they originally were shown in theaters. That's a fair thing to want, and I just want people to shut up about it so give it to them. As for me, I'd like them to consider another new cut.

Take that Jabba scene for example. You could argue that it's totally not needed. That's fine. But if they did keep it, there's a lot of changes they could do to make it work better. Most obviously changing Jabba's CGI to look less crappy and less jokey when Han Solo steps behind him. There's a lot of alterations like this that could be considered.

JimiNutz

Banned

Oh man..
I just watched this arc and it had the complete opposite effect on me. Really didn't like these episodes and something about there being a planet of witches didn't feel very 'Star Wars' to me and didn't fit in with the rest of the universe at all.

Without spoiling anything the arc after this one veered even more into fantasy territory and I felt like I was watching something that was a mix of Lord of the Rings and the final season of Lost (not a good thing).

Basically the last 5 or 6 episodes that I've watched of season 3 have veered into what feels like a fantasy setting for Star Wars (instead of Pulp Space Opera) and I really don't like it at all.

Can anyone that's seen the whole show, without saying too much in terms of spoilers, advise whether the rest of the show is like this? I'd heard that the show really picks up in Seasons 3-6 but so far I'm not sure that I like the direction that season 3 is heading.

Anyone not in the Star wars LINE chat group is missing out on our alerts.

I randomly was checking some of my out-of-stock bookmarks and managed to order a kmart kylo ren about 10 mins ago and informed everyone...

I'm not on LINE right now, but send me an invite. My username is the same as it is here.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm not on LINE right now, but send me an invite. My username is the same as it is here.

Done!

Also here is Volume 2 of the Topps Cards books that are coming out

51m6OUOsCEL._SX388_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1419719149/?tag=neogaf0e-20
In 1980, following the success of Star Wars (1977) and five tie-in trading card series based on the blockbuster film, Topps released three new series of collectible bubble gum cards to coincide with the release of The Empire Strikes Back. Now, for the first time, all 352 cards and 88 stickers are reprinted in a single deluxe volume. Reproducing the fronts and backs of each card, this collection includes character pro­files, story cards, movie facts, quotes, trivia, and puzzles featuring beloved characters and scenes from The Empire Strikes Back. Also included are four bonus trading cards, the Photo Card series, rare promotional images, and an introduction and commentary by Gary Gerani, the original editor of Topps’s Star Wars series.

Another Topps Card book...

Star Wars Galaxy: The Original Topps Trading Card Series Hardcover – March 15, 2016
by The Topps Company (Author), Gary Gerani (Author), Lucasfilm Ltd (Author), Drew Struzan (Afterword)
61MD9TzPF1L._SX392_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1419719130/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Ten years after the release of Return of the Jedi, the Topps Company reintro­duced the Star Wars universe to collectors with a series of trading cards. Illustrated by the biggest names in science fiction, fantasy, and comics—including Kyle Baker, Moebius, Jon J Muth, William Stout, and Walter Simonson—George Lucas’s galaxy is reinterpreted in each artist’s style, portraying favorite characters, re-creating classic moments, and even inventing new scenes the illustrators always wanted to see. These trading-card images became instant fan favorites and the benchmark for visual reinter­pretations of Star Wars to come. For the first time, this collection showcases the complete New Visions series; rare promotional images; an introduction and commentary by Gary Gerani; and an afterword by Drew Struzan, and cover art by Boris Vallejo.

and... a very expensive Ralph McQuarrie art book collection

41NVYo3vc5L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1419717936/?tag=neogaf0e-20
The definitive deluxe three-volume slipcase of Ralph McQuarrie’s complete artwork for Star Wars

Ralph McQuarrie is the most iconic artist in the history of Star Wars. He worked hand-in-hand with George Lucas to help establish the saga’s visual aesthetic, its inimitable look and feel. Beyond designing Darth Vader, C-3PO, and R2-D2, McQuarrie produced hundreds of pieces of Star Wars artwork, including conceptual paintings, costume designs, storyboards, and matte paintings, as well as posters, book covers, and album covers—even Lucasfilm’s annual holiday cards—all rescanned and rephotographed for this book.

In Star Wars Art: Ralph McQuarrie, readers will find the most definitive collection of the artist’s Star Wars work ever assembled, including hundreds of never-before-seen illus­trations. Rare unpublished interviews, as well as recollec­tions from McQuarrie’s colleagues and friends, complement and contextualize the art. Star Wars Art: Ralph McQuarrie is a comprehensive tribute to cinema’s most beloved and influential concept artist.

Lastly,

The Making of Star Wars: The Force Awakens Hardcover – March 15, 2016
by Mark Cotta Vaz (Author), Lucasfilm Ltd (Author), J.J. Abrams (Preface), Kathleen Kennedy (Foreword)
(no cover yet)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1419720228/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Zombine

Banned
Hang tight on that McQuarrie art book. You may be able to get it on sale at www.instocktrades.com on launch week for 50% off. They've been carrying the art books for all the major nerd-centric blockbusters even though they primarily sell comics.

OH MY GOD IT'S DELTA SQUAD

BOSS

SCORCH

SEV

FIXER

It's just a cameo but it still makes me so happy to see them.

Yeah, I loved that bit even if it was just a small cameo.

The theatrical versions release can't be true can it? Would be really odd after the 4K remaster news.

Star Wars and Lando were great again this month. Loved seeing that
collection of Jedi antiquities
in Star Wars. I'm a big fan of how they're actually trying to include the prequel era instead of completely ignore it in the comics.

Fj0823

Agreed, this and Episode VII being at least partially based on Lucas drafts gives me hope that the entire saga will be respected.

Agreed, this and Episode VII being at least partially based on Lucas drafts gives me hope that the entire saga will be respected.

I think it was Bobby Roberts in the theatrical rerelease thread who said the overall structure is being used, though things like characters and their depictions have been changed. Which I think is something even the most aggreived fan can be happy about; at a high level, the prequel stuff works quite well.

Tizoc

OK watching Attack of the Clones now and uh at the start of the movie
why didn't that droid that was by Padme's window just leave after leaving the poison mind bugs in the room?
Speeder chase is pretty good though visually.

I liked it too, but what's up with the Nightsisters? Is their magic just their unique way of using the Force? Or is magic canon? Made me laugh how everyone was talking about Darth Maul like he was some awesome Sith lord, the only thing he did was kill Qui Gon, unless he has some pre-Phantom exploits I'm unaware of.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I liked it too, but what's up with the Nightsisters? Is their magic just their unique way of using the Force? Or is magic canon? Made me laugh how everyone was talking about Darth Maul like he was some awesome Sith lord, the only thing he did was kill Qui Gon, unless he has some pre-Phantom exploits I'm unaware of.

That's how I understood it.

Sayers

Oh man..
I just watched this arc and it had the complete opposite effect on me. Really didn't like these episodes and something about there being a planet of witches didn't feel very 'Star Wars' to me and didn't fit in with the rest of the universe at all.

Without spoiling anything the arc after this one veered even more into fantasy territory and I felt like I was watching something that was a mix of Lord of the Rings and the final season of Lost (not a good thing).

Basically the last 5 or 6 episodes that I've watched of season 3 have veered into what feels like a fantasy setting for Star Wars (instead of Pulp Space Opera) and I really don't like it at all.

Can anyone that's seen the whole show, without saying too much in terms of spoilers, advise whether the rest of the show is like this? I'd heard that the show really picks up in Seasons 3-6 but so far I'm not sure that I like the direction that season 3 is heading.

It only comes up one or two more times. The series' main focus is still on the war.

I wouldn't mind a theatrical cut of the films but with the added benefits of some cleaned up special effects. Not all the changes in the special editions were terrible....though most of them were.

Gravidee

The Nightsister and Mortis stuff ventured into some of the more mystical elements of Star Wars regarding the Force. It's funny you say that they don't fit in with the rest of the universe, because the nightsisters have actually been a part of the EU for quite a long while. I think there was even one in that Ewoks movie.

JimiNutz

Banned
It only comes up one or two more times. The series' main focus is still on the war.

Yeah, I finished season three and am now on season four and am glad that stuff hasn't come up since.

The Nightsister and Mortis stuff ventured into some of the more mystical elements of Star Wars regarding the Force. It's funny you say that they don't fit in with the rest of the universe, because the nightsisters have actually been a part of the EU for quite a long while. I think there was even one in that Ewoks movie.

For me it just didn't feel very 'Star Wars' but my knowledge of the franchise is primarily based on the movies and a limited amount of old EU fiction.

I did know that there were mystical/fantasy elements in the universe but I have never really seen it in the movies and am honestly not a huge fan of it. Hope it doesn't appear much in the new films. Just felt very heavy handed and out of touch with most the other Clone Wars episodes.

Toxi

Banned
I liked it too, but what's up with the Nightsisters? Is their magic just their unique way of using the Force? Or is magic canon?
I think their magic rituals are just a different way of using the Force. When you think about it, the Force is magic. It can move objects, manipulate thoughts, enhance senses, reveal the future, create lightning... All very different ways of manipulating reality. So when I see the Night Sisters use "magic" to make someone invisible, I assume it's just another use of the Force.

Oh man..
Star Wars has always been heavily influenced by fantasy. Obi-Wan is an old bearded wizard, Yoda is a gnome, lightsaber are swords, Darth Vader is a black knight, the Emperor is an evil sorcerer... I think witches fit in just fine.

Especially since the witches expand on previously introduced parts of Star Wars (Assaj Ventress and Darth Maul) to make them more interesting.

Almost halfway through Ep. 2 and...
Yup the Ani and Padme love thing is not interesting TBH....

Oh man, any episode with Padme is usually a snoozefest, she's easily the most boring character in the show. How did the show's creators not realise that no one cares about the senate? It's hilarious in hindsight how the senate is dissolved in a throwaway line in A New Hope.

TrueBlue

Senator Chuchi is probably my favourite senator in the series, I find her more interesting than the other politicians. Shame she doesn't appear very often.

Gravidee

Oh man, any episode with Padme is usually a snoozefest, she's easily the most boring character in the show. How did the show's creators not realise that no one cares about the senate? It's hilarious in hindsight how the senate is dissolved in a throwaway line in A New Hope.

Oddly my 13 year old cousin happens to love Padme as a character and wants me to show her any episode involving her. I guess I now have nearly 6 straight episodes of Padme related episodes to show her according to the chronological order!

Senator Chuchi is probably my favourite senator in the series, I find her more interesting than the other politicians. Shame she doesn't appear very often.

Agreed, but I like her mainly for her lovely, lovely voice.

Oddly my 13 year old cousin happens to love Padme as a character and wants me to show her any episode involving her. I guess I now have nearly 6 straight episodes of Padme related episodes to show her according to the chronological order!

Hah, kids nowadays are weird, when I was 13 all I wanted to see were space battles and crap like that. Fair enough, I'm happy that those episodes appeal to some.

On an unrelated note,
the death of the Toydarian king was really tragic, he was such a bro.

Tizoc

And done.
I think the last hour was the best part what with all the action, but it's really jumbled til then.
Story wise it could've been better...

And done.
I think the last hour was the best part what with all the action, but it's really jumbled til then.
Story wise it could've been better...

Yeah, the second half's a lot better. I'd say my favourite scenes are the Speeder chase, Jango vs Obi-Wan, the Geonosis battle and the Imperial March GAR scene.

Agreed, but I like her mainly for her lovely, lovely voice.

And yeah, I love her accent. Just looked it up and I forgot it was Jennifer Hale. I only just realised Jon Favreau voiced Pre Vizsla the other day.

Toxi

Banned
As someone who's seen Padme's "idealistic peace princess" character archetype done a lot better (Diana Soreil in Turn A Gundam) and a lot worse (Marina Ishmael in Gundam 00), I think Padme's okay but a lot of her episodes are just really boring. It doesn't help that Duchess Satine is a way better execution of that archetype in the same show.

Fj0823

OK watching Attack of the Clones now and uh at the start of the movie
why didn't that droid that was by Padme's window just leave after leaving the poison mind bugs in the room?
Speeder chase is pretty good though visually.

I always thought it needed to confirm the kill

Tizoc

The best Padme episode was in the 2D series, she only had 2 but for the most part they were short and in one she did help out Master Yoda.

After watching Ep. 3 I'ma go back and rewatch Empire Strikes Back that's my fav. of the original trilogy.

Top Bottom