• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

sphagnum

Banned
Any idea when Chewbacca is taking place? Other then the general time between a new Hope and Empire strike back? I'm kinda hoping (spoilers for Star Wars #9)
Its when he goes to try saving Luke. It fits. He's not out with Han.

It's apparently "after the destruction of the first Death Star". There's already a couple of stories that take place immediately after that (Princess Leia and Smuggler's Run), so I'd assume it takes place right after Smuggler's Run.

graffix13

S4 Episode 4 of TCW already killing off a semi-well known character:
Captain Tarpals. He went out like a boss though. Speaking of boss....whatever happened to Boss Nass, king of the Gungans from TPM?

S4 Episode 4 of TCW already killing off a semi-well known character:
Captain Tarpals. He went out like a boss though. Speaking of boss....whatever happened to Boss Nass, king of the Gungans from TPM?

Yeah, it's a bit weird he's not in that episode. He attends Padme's funeral in Revenge of the Sith so he's still around.

latest

curb

Banned

The Vader/Ahsoka pack finally showed up in Canada. I bought it for Ahsoka but I really like the Vader. You know, for a 3.75 Hasbro figure
- he says as if he actually knows anything about figure collecting

Imperial

The Vader/Ahsoka pack finally showed up in Canada. I bought it for Ahsoka but I really like the Vader. You know, for a 3.75 Hasbro figure
- he says as if he actually knows anything about figure collecting

Love Vader's Star Wars Rebel helmet, but I'm assuming these smaller scaled figures are significantly less poseable?

I've watched episodes 4-6 with my daughter and I'm planning on watching 1-3 with her over the next two weekends. I have a feeling she is going to love Jar Jar just to smite me.

I've watched episodes 4-6 with my daughter and I'm planning on watching 1-3 with her over the next two weekends. I have a feeling she is going to love Jar Jar just to smite me.

My two eldest sons (5 & 7) watched the prequels this year after seeing the originals last year. Jar Jar didn't resonate with them at all. In fact nothing in the prequels did.

MattyG

Banned
I just realized that by the time I have kids and introduce them to Star Wars, the Prequel Trilogy will be almost as old as the Original Trilogy was when I first watched them.

I just realized that by the time I have kids and introduce them to Star Wars, the Prequel Trilogy will be almost as old as the Original Trilogy was when I first watched them.

I hope by then Lucasfilm has released some updated editions. There are *a lot* of GS/BS scenes in the PT that look remarkably bad.

curb

Banned

I mentioned a few pages back that my almost three year old loves Jar Jar now because I was tossing him around in Disney Infinity. I'm not a Binks hater though so it doesn't really bother me.

I hope by then Lucasfilm has released some updated editions. There are *a lot* of GS/BS scenes in the PT that look remarkably bad.

I don't know what "GS/BS" is referring to but your comment made me think of something. I watched some of Phantom Menace last week and a lot of the CG really sticks out. It's not reflective on Lucas really as much as it's just a product of it's age. I think our current CG may age a little better but that late 90's-early 2000's CG is not aging well at all.

SOUNDTRACKS INCOMING

Except for the Vinyl - I think those might end up being the original album arrangements? Maybe?

I mean, those are the original vinyl art covers. Not that much of a stretch to imagine that the records themselves would be the original albums as well.

Also maaaan does the Prequel art look bad scaled up in that format

I don't know what "GS/BS" is referring to but your comment made me think of something. I watched some of Phantom Menace last week and a lot of the CG really sticks out. It's not reflective on Lucas really as much as it's just a product of it's age. I think our current CG may age a little better but that late 90's-early 2000's CG is not aging well at all.

Green screen / blue screen.

What's kind of interesting in a 'history of technology' kind of way is that I thought the animated stuff in TPM was fine when I saw it in theatres in 1999, and when I rewatched it a good dozen times between 2000-2002 on my CRT tv. But by AotC, I remember really noticing the animated/CGI stuff and thinking that it wasn't looking very good. That tech aged really quickly.

RotS still looks, with some exceptions, pretty good.

Fj0823

What's kind of interesting in a 'history of technology' kind of way is that I thought the animated stuff in TPM was fine when I saw it in theatres in 1999, and when I rewatched it a good dozen times between 2000-2002 on my CRT tv. But by AotC, I remember really noticing the animated/CGI stuff and thinking that it wasn't looking very good. That tech aged really quickly.

The only part of RotS that looks bad for me are the stealth clones trying to kill yoda

curb

Banned

Yup, and now that short-form makes total sense within context.

It's amazing how quickly the technology has progressed. I too remember watching TPM on VHS and thinking it looked amazing but not anymore. I think it's fun to watch movie series that span from the that 90's era into more modern times just to see how far CG has come. Comparing the original X-Men movie with DoFP is such a stark contrast. I'm sure TFA will be like that too.

What specific CG problems are people talking about in TPM. The battle droids have aged real well I think. The gungans are mixed. Pretty much all establishing shots are composite shots using miniatures and landscape plates, with minor CG enhancements. The waterfall in Naboo for instance is salt not CG. Partial sets exist for most scenes too. Explosions are all real I believe. Pretty sure most vehicles are practical models. TPM uses more practical effects than all of the OT combined.

curb

Banned
What specific CG problems are people talking about in TPM. The battle droids have aged real well I think. The gungans are mixed. Pretty much all establishing shots are composite shots using miniatures and landscape plates, with minor CG enhancements. The waterfall in Naboo for instance is salt not CG. Partial sets exist for most scenes too. Explosions are all real I believe. Pretty sure most vehicles are practical models. TPM uses more practical effects than all of the OT combined.

I find anything organic that's laid over a practical set is so noticable... off. It really stood out to me during a lot of the Tatooine market area scenes.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "the prequels suck because CG" types. I just find that it's just a product of the movie's age.

Haha, good one, why would Lucasfilm ever alter the prequels when they could dick around with the originals instead? :'(

We're living in exciting times! The upcoming rerererereleased (or 40th anniversary) editions will have some cleaning done to them - ie, Han & Greedo - as well as visual upgrades. I fully expect them to go over the prequels in the same way.

Hagi

It doesn't say but seeing the cover seems to fit with the existing Force Awakens YA novels, it probably is.

It says it's companion piece to the other YA novels about Rey, Finn and Poes life's before the film. Definitely getting that to read for after watching Force Awakens.

I mean, those are the original vinyl art covers. Not that much of a stretch to imagine that the records themselves would be the original albums as well.

Clarification is that yup, they've gone so far as to go back to the original masters for those LP releases, cleaned 'em up, and those will be the versions pressed to vinyl again, as well as the versions included in the digital edition. The only way to get the 2-disc Special Edition releases is to buy the CD set.

The PT scores in all editions will be the original CD releases.

Clarification is that yup, they've gone so far as to go back to the original masters for those LP releases, cleaned 'em up, and those will be the versions pressed to vinyl again, as well as the versions included in the digital edition. The only way to get the 2-disc Special Edition releases is to buy the CD set.

The PT scores in all editions will be the original CD releases.

That's pretty darn cool, actually, though it's odd that the digital versions are going to be the same as well. Probably to establish a consistency with the single-disc prequel releases.

Shame that TPM's Ultimate Edition seems to be dust in the digital wind at this point, though.

Toxi

Banned
Just finished the Umbara arc in TCW. Probably my favorite arc of the series. So good.
The scene when
the two clone squads start firing at each other and Rex realizes they're killing their own brothers and starts screaming that they're all clones
is horrible and amazing.

Also, "we are men" made me tear up.

Tizoc

So I'm making my way through the 3D series to get ready for Rebels.

I know the movie isn't woth watching but since I watched Ep. 1-3 movies I may as well watch it too and I gotta ask
In the 2D series we see Anakin 'killing' Ventress, but she re-appears in this movie meaning she survived te fall.
Later on in the movie Anakin deduces that Ventress is the one atacking them, but how did he learn she survived?

Another thing I wanted to bring up is...is there an apathy towards the droids in this series?

imma read the shit outta that Rucka book

Same I'll see if Borders over here sell it and get it from there.

curb

Banned
I don't think 2D and 3D Clone Wars are connected at all. I think 2D Clone Wars not surviving the canon cut supports that.

Tizoc

I don't think 2D and 3D Clone Wars are connected at all. I think 2D Clone Wars not surviving the canon cut supports that.

I am aware of the 'discontinuity' however how is the first time viewer supposed t know who Ventress is.

Fj0823

2D clone wars up until the knighting ceremony answered every question my girlfriend had for the clone wars cgi.

Update: My girlfriend is not feeling the series at all, but says she wants to keep going as she loves Ahsoka, currently on season 2.

curb

Banned
I am aware of the 'discontinuity' however how is the first time viewer supposed t know who Ventress is.

They don't I guess. She shows up in the series and then we get to know her as time goes on even though she may already be familiar to other characters.

2D clone wars up until the knighting ceremony answered every question my girlfriend had for the clone wars cgi.

I really don't mean to come across as the canon police but I guess that this point, that's just a happy coincidence since the actually history of the Clone Wars between Episode II and the start of TCW is mostly unwritten I think.

graffix13

Yeah the 2D Clone Wars cartoon is non-canon. So Ventress is never formally "introduced" in canon.

Another thing is the scar Anakin has over his right eye. IIRC, he got it from Ventress in the Star Wars Republic comic book series. But since that is non-canon now, that is another thing that is never explained officially.

Fj0823

I gotta say, as much as I liked HelloGreedo's reviews of the Star Wars Changes through the different editions I couldn't stand his other videos.

In the RotS one he pretty much compares prequels fans to pedophiles.

Anyone here knows a good YouTube channel that hypes and gives good reviews for ALL things star Wars, not just the OT? thanks.

Sayers

Update: My girlfriend is not feeling the series at all, but says she wants to keep going as she loves Ahsoka, currently on season 2.

Any particular reason she isn't enjoying it?

Gravidee

Yeah the 2D Clone Wars cartoon is non-canon. So Ventress is never formally "introduced" in canon.

Another thing is the scar Anakin has over his right eye. IIRC, he got it from Ventress in the Star Wars Republic comic book series. But since that is non-canon now, that is another thing that is never explained officially.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that scar is still from Ventress. We just haven't seen her give it to him happen officially yet.

Top Bottom