• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Fj0823

The Mortis arc didn't bother me as much because it took place in sort of
altered reality/dimension. The rules can bend there and I rolled with it.

However I just wish they would
have kept the secret to being a force ghost more....secret. In S6, for the last few episodes they should have showed Yoda going into a cave and not coming out for awhile and when he emerges he knows the secret. Or he meditates or something. Actually showing those wizards/witches and Yoda fighting, and accepting, his dark side self was a little too much and really didn't tell us anything. Just leave it a mystery and let the viewer form their own opinion. You don't have to show or explain everything. Especially when it comes to the ways of the force.

That Kinda happened in episode 3.

One thing I've learned about Lucas is that he REALLY disagrees with the "better left as a mistery" mentality.

He and his team give rules and inner workings to everything, from the crystals inside a lighsaber to Midichlorians.

I can respect that, it takes a lot of imagination to do all that.

Cheebo

Banned
The Mortis arc didn't bother me as much because it took place in sort of
altered reality/dimension. The rules can bend there and I rolled with it.

However I just wish they would
have kept the secret to being a force ghost more....secret. In S6, for the last few episodes they should have showed Yoda going into a cave and not coming out for awhile and when he emerges he knows the secret. Or he meditates or something. Actually showing those wizards/witches and Yoda fighting, and accepting, his dark side self was a little too much and really didn't tell us anything. Just leave it a mystery and let the viewer form their own opinion. You don't have to show or explain everything. Especially when it comes to the ways of the force.

You literally just described the force ghost explanation we got in Episode III lol.

graffix13

You literally just described the force ghost explanation we got in Episode III lol.

Right. And that worked for me. /shrug

It just seems that when you try to explain *how* something magical/spiritual works, you just end up fucking it up and making matters worse.

Letting viewers use their own imagination is the best, I believe.

Tizoc

The Clone Wars has no sense of scale. There are several episodes where a character looking for something is told the planet that thing is on and somehow that narrows it down easily.

The series occasionally even contradicts itself on scale; in one episode
thousands of colonists are kidnapped into slavery.
A few episodes later,
the Jedi rescue a few dozen of them and apparently that counts as saving the people.

One of my few gripes about the series that has stayed constant each season.

Yup good points, like I said, if it's a space colony, it'd be much easier to accept, but a whole planet? I mean if you had held the leading nation of that planet, then fine, but even then it's a friggin' country how can it ever run out of food...
The movies are just as guilty as this.

There is a rumor Grievous is in the Utapau system in ROTS. Obi-Wan lands in the exact city he happens to be in.

Obi-Wan traces Jango's dart to Kamino in AOTC, he happens to land at the front door of the building the Clones are being built.

In Empire Strikes Back a single Probe Droid lands on Hoth and does so right outside the Rebel base.

Also in Empire Luke is told to go to Dagobah and crashes right next to Yoda's home.

actually Luke landing close to Yoda, I just chuck it to being the will of the Force.

I know I shouldn't think too much about it but it really feels insulting to one's mind @_@

OK almost done with S1 of Clone Wars and when the hell did Ahsoka become a pro space fighter pilot?

You don't need to "shake it off" at all, really. It's a level of scientific/geographic accuracy that no other aspect of the films seems concerned with adhering to. It's just part of the convention of the storytelling.

I mean, what's the mythological/storytelling utility of including a bunch of scenes where our heroes have to spend hours orbiting every planet, scanning and analyzing results and then trial & error visiting locations until they find the spot they need to find?

There isn't one, really. So there's no storytelling reason to treat planets as anything more complicated than a single setting.

curb

Banned
You don't need to "shake it off" at all, really. It's a level of scientific/geographic accuracy that no other aspect of the films seems concerned with adhering to. It's just part of the convention of the storytelling.

I mean, what's the mythological/storytelling utility of including a bunch of scenes where our heroes have to spend hours orbiting every planet, scanning and analyzing results and then trial & error visiting locations until they find the spot they need to find?

There isn't one, really. So there's no storytelling reason to treat planets as anything more complicated than a single setting.

zdr3wykmtfc5h1dwnddo.gif

I'm sorry

Cheebo

Banned

Yeah, the element of treating planets as if they were single locations has been the case in every film since day 1. Remember the escape pod in ANH just happened to have crashed within a short driving distance of Luke and Obi-Wan.

It's more noticeable in TCW because they are bouncing between planets at a much faster clip than we do in the films typically.

Cheebo

Banned
There is a lot you can't look at logically. I mean look, the Republic went from having no military to having a military large enough to rule the entire galaxy in under 3 years. The cost to fund that would involve tax increases of astronomical levels. This in a political system in which the "taxation of trade routes in the outlying systems" was a major cause of concern and mania just a few years before that. Every single planet would have joined the seperatists!

None of this stuff works logically. You just gotta roll with it.

There is a lot you can't look at logically. I mean look, the Republic went from having no military to having a military large enough to rule the entire galaxy in under 3 years. The cost to fund that would involve tax increases of astronomical levels. This in a political system in which the "taxation of trade routes in the outlying systems" was a major cause of concern and mania just a few years before that. Every single planet would have joined the seperatists!

None of this stuff works logically. You just gotta roll with it.

That's always been such an annoying thing for me wrt to AotC. When Kenobi finds the clone farm, these guys are all gearing up with armour and guns. And then when the start, the clone wars have, you see these guys in all sorts of ships. Where did all that materiel come from? Why didn't it bother anyone that not only did these clone troops appear out of the blue, but presumably so did an entire space navy?

Fj0823

That's always been such an annoying thing for me wrt to AotC. When Kenobi finds the clone farm, these guys are all gearing up with armour and guns. And then when the start, the clone wars have, you see these guys in all sorts of ships. Where did all that materiel come from? Why didn't it bother anyone that not only did these clone troops appear out of the blue, but presumably so did an entire space navy?

If I understand it right, Dooku paid for everything up to that point.

The republic only paid to maintain the army/gear/vehicles or make new ones

Dooku rolling in that cash

Cheebo

Banned
Its as if America had no military to speak of and one day it landed on our doorsteps. Weapons, ships, personnel, and all with a giant bow and everyone in government pats themselves on the back for finding it.

Edit: In the old EU it was Plagueis who paid for it if I recall correctly. I don't believe we ever got a canon answer who paid for the clone army.

Toxi

Banned
Yeah, the element of treating planets as if they were single locations has been the case in every film since day 1. Remember the escape pod in ANH just happened to have crashed within a short driving distance of Luke and Obi-Wan.
In that instance R2-D2 launched the pod, and he knew where Obi-Wan was.

But yeah, it really is just something I should stop nitpicking, because it does make the stories flow better. If I'm gonna complain, it's better to complain about scale elements that don't make sense and do nothing to service the plot, like the ridiculously low numbers for the Clone Trooper army.
Edit: In the old EU it was Plagueis who paid for it if I recall correctly. I don't believe we ever got a canon answer who paid for the clone army.
Sifo Dias, or rather someone else pretending to be Sifo Dias. Attack of the Clones was pretty clear about him ordering the army, so I'd assume he also paid for it.

Sayers

Has anyone ever attempted to provide an in-universe explanation as to why R2-D2 keeps so much information to himself or why so few characters seem to recognize him?

curb

Banned
Sifo Dias, or rather someone else pretending to be Sifo Dias. Attack of the Clones was pretty clear about him ordering the army, so I'd assume he also paid for it.

Doesn't that get expanded on a little in the last season of Clone Wars?

Cheebo

Banned
Has anyone ever attempted to provide an in-universe explanation as to why R2-D2 keeps so much information to himself or why so few characters seem to recognize him?
He saw what happened to Threepio if don't keep your mouth shut. Got his memory wiped, effectively the droid version of death.

Sayers

He saw what happened to Threepio if don't keep your mouth shut. Got his memory wiped, effectively the droid version of death.

He still should have at least pulled Luke aside when he and Leia started getting flirty and just been like "Brah . . . "

Joeytj

Banned
Its as if America had no military to speak of and one day it landed on our doorsteps. Weapons, ships, personnel, and all with a giant bow and everyone in government pats themselves on the back for finding it.

The Clone Wars confirmed that it was Sifo Dyas who payed for it, or at least put it on the Republic's tab. Of course, the specifics weren't said, but it is confirmed that Dooku and Dyas handled it all, with Palpatine's help (unbeknownst to Dyas).

The Clone Wars confirmed that it was Sifo Dyas who payed for it, or at least put it on the Republic's tab. Of course, the specifics weren't said, but it is confirmed that Dooku and Dyas handled it all, with Palpatine's help (unbeknownst to Dyas).

Even the ships etc?

Finding warm bodies to serve as cannon fodder isn't really that hard - its building up the tech/hardware that is difficult.

Toxi

Banned
Even the ships etc?

Finding warm bodies to serve as cannon fodder isn't really that hard - its building up the tech/hardware that is difficult.
I'd assume the original order included hardware considering we see the clones armed and armored when Obi-Wan visits Kamino.

Yea, like I said, always something that annoyed me about the overall Prequels story. Especially after watching TCW, when it's clear that the war effort is so gargantuan that there's no way the Senate/Jedi Council could have missed the build up.

And for those that have read Lost Stars and Aftermath, anyone else think the former (despite it being a YA story) is massively superior?

gsrjedi

For any Infinity fans out there, Amazon has the 3.0 playsets for $25. The new Rise Against the Empire set (with Luke & Leia) is also at that price.

graffix13

For any Infinity fans out there, Amazon has the 3.0 playsets for $25. The new Rise Against the Empire set (with Luke & Leia) is also at that price.

Great, thank you. I almost bought the Empire set yesterday but held off...glad I did.

I did get a chance to play as Vader a bit last night in the Toy Box. Only after a few moments I knew he was going to be my favorite. Especially after he said "Apology accepted" after I cut down one of the trash mobs in the toy box.

Someone explain to me the
'your lack of faith is disturbing'
line please?

The return to Geonosis is hit or miss for me, the initial assault was good for one thing.
Vader says it to Admiral Motti in A New Hope when he criticises the force and Vader's abilities. I'm guessing they reference it in the Clone Wars? I can't remember.

So what's the chances of us ever getting some Plagueis background info/history, now that presumably his EU backstory and book are no longer canon?

curb

Banned
So what's the chances of us ever getting some Plagueis background info/history, now that presumably his EU backstory and book are no longer canon?

I'd guess low at least for now. RotS to TFA time period and beyond seems to be their focus for now. I'm guessing the amount of content from the prequel era and before will be limited.

graffix13

I'd guess low at least for now. RotS to TFA time period and beyond seems to be their focus for now. I'm guessing the amount of content from the prequel era and before will be limited.

Yeah I agree. But I hope we get some resolution to the Maul storyline after Sons of Dathomir.

Yeah I agree. But I hope we get some resolution to the Maul storyline after Sons of Dathomir.

Me too (re Plagueis). I like that it's something Lucasfilm decided, at least for now, to keep nebulous. Not just because the explanation Luceno dreamed up for it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks and drains all the coolness out of the Palpatine/Anakin opera scene.

But mostly.

sphagnum

Banned
What is the consensus on that trio of YA novels? Saw them in my local store and was wondering whether or not to jump in.

They're good. Short, quick reads. Fun without a lot of depth. I'd say they're on part with Ezra's Gamble.

The other YA books - the Servants of the Empire series and Lost Stars - are far more nuanced and complex, even with Lost Stars' overly sappy romance and shoehorning to fit in scenes from the OT. But those four books are probably the best books in the new canon so far. And while Jakku isn't really focused on at the end of LS, acting more as a backdrop, the ending scene where
Thane and Ciena try to subdue each other to save the other while the Inflictor is crashing through the atmosphere
was very well done. The characters in Lost Stars may be incredibly stupid sometimes but that's because they're young and eager an in a really dumb love, so it's all believable.

Both SotE and LS explore what imperial ideology does to the average person in a way that I don't remember the old EU ever really doing as successfully.

graffix13

Good news for anyone who wanted to read The Story Before The Force Awakens (the OT Korean webtoon) in English: we now have official translations!

http://www.starwars.com/news/a-new-...line-webtoons-digital-star-wars-comic-arrives

The first three chapters are already up here: http://www.webtoons.com/en/sf/Star Wars/list?title_no=544

And for anyone following it in Korean, the newest chapter is up here: http://webtoon.daum.net/webtoon/viewer/33250

Hmm are these canon? Because the end of first one
would clash with A New Hope since I that was the first time he met Obi-Wan.

Cheebo

Banned
Hmm are these canon? Because the end of first one
would clash with A New Hope since I that was the first time he met Obi-Wan.
Yes they are canon that was never the case in the old canon as well, they met multiple times pre-ANH in the old EU.

They even interacted in Star Wars #7, the Obi-Wan one shot earlier this year do not forget.

Even just going by ANH it pretty clear it wasn't the first time they met. Luke knew who he was and instantly recognized him when he came up to him.

Top Bottom