• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Hagi

I don't really see what the endgame is here they are fucking deluded if they think that hurling abuse at writers and hounding people at cons is going to make them change their mind towards the legacy stuff. Move on folks, there's plenty of Star Wars for everyone.

Boem

Thanks for your recommendations guys, I'll get that Rise of the Empire-book on my way home from work today. I was thinking of buying one more book for him, what's the best of the new canon ones released so far?

Completely serious - I would love to see Jar-Jar reappear as a Sith lord.

You forgot the :D at the end of this comment.

Thanks for your recommendations guys, I'll get that Rise of the Empire-book on my way home from work today. I was thinking of buying one more book for him, what's the best of the new canon ones released so far?

Getting one of the comic trades might be a cool idea and it'll help mix things up a bit. I think most of us would agree the comics have been better than the novels so far. Vader is my favourite of the two trades released. The first few issues are really good.

As for the books, it's a young adult novel but Lost Stars by Claudia Gray is a fun read. It takes place during the OT and ends at the Battle of Jakku - the aftermath of which we've seen in the latest Force Awakens trailer. I haven't read all the novels yet but it's my favourite of the ones I've finished.

MattyG

Banned
Soooooo, Monday for the trailer?

its-happening.gif

https://twitter.com/Breznican/status/654009318937722880

Simo

At the very latest yeah. Seems like it could drop, along with a TV spot or 2, this weekend.

According to some people on reddit and twitter emailing various theaters like AMC chains etc that Disney has something planned for Monday as a "event", likely the advanced ticket sales, with the trailer and TV spots beforehand announcing this.

Mark Hamill Denies Famous 'Star Wars' Fumble

One of the most famous flubs has just been settled by Luke Skywalker himself. In "Star Wars: A New Hope," the first release in the saga, Luke (Mark Hamill) returns home after destroying the Death Star in the Battle of Yavin. He is greeted by his friends and family (that Leia sister bomb hadn't been dropped yet) to celebrate the victory.

"Star Wars" fans have long questioned whether Hamill broke the fourth wall by mistakenly yelling "Carrie!" when he hugs co-star Carrie Fisher, instead of using her character's name, Leia.

Responding to a fan's question on Twitter, Hamill ended the confusion once and for all and called the supposed mistake "Total BS."

Mark Hamill@HamillHimself

TOTAL BS! Actually said "There she..." as in "There she is." Dialogue in that scene was dubbed. In-jokes disallowed!

Simo

Well didn't a announcement for the first teaser debut 48 hours before release? Isn't Rebels coming back tonight?

curb

Banned
Well didn't a announcement for the first teaser debut 48 hours before release? Isn't Rebels coming back tonight?

Yup

Edit:

Operative words in that tweet are "next week", which still leaves room for ManaByte's (aka Conrad's) foretelling of a Friday, October 16th release. May just be incredibly wishful thinking on my part though.

Speaking of, he just retweeted someone who indicated that their theatre was expecting a shipment from Disney tomorrow. Not conclusive but at least potentially supportive.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Oh please be Friday, I'm going to see the music of Star Wars in concert on Friday night, timing would be fantastic.

sphagnum

Banned
Interesting:

Very interesting. Who are they? Kiri Hart, Jennifer Heddle, and...?

The only other confirmed Story Group people I can even think of are Pablo Hidalgo and Leeland Chee, so I guess they're the two males.

Anyway, Shattered Empire #3 and Chewbacca #1 are out today, and season 2 of Rebels starts tonight!

According to CBR, according to Screen Crush:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...the-force-awakens-trailer-to-debut-next-week/

The long-awaited new trailer for “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” will reportedly arrive online Monday, Oct. 19, which will mark the beginning of preorder ticket sales.

According to Screen Crush, Disney is expected to make an announcement about both the trailer and ticket preorders before that date, most likely on Friday or Sunday. The trailer is reportedly targeted for theatrical release on Nov. 6, with “Spectre.”

Simo

The wait begins. lol

I like the idea that some bloggers and sites are going with, but who knows whats going to happen though:
  • Trailer announcement tonight with Rebels and online, or tomorrow.
  • Trailer debuts Friday along with pre-sale information for Monday's tickets.
  • Weekend has the trailer cutdown for TV spots, with The Walking Dead?, advertising Monday's ticket sales.
  • Monday - Advance tickets go on sale.

Or they announce everything on Friday and the trailer and tickets go live Monday. Or no trailer at all but tickets go on sale. Or neither. lol

If there's a trailer out soon, then I'm not going to be able to visit my favourite Star Wars/movie sites until after the movie's released. I'm so happy with my current level of information, I don't want to see any more.

So I read the Little Golden Books versions of the Original Trilogy to my 6-year old daughter last night. I really wish I had been videotaping her reaction to the Darth Vader parentage reveal. I saw her eyes widen, and she goes, "Wait... what?!?!" She was incredulous about it, saying, "Is that real? Darth Vader is really Luke's father? No way."

Sayers

So I read the Little Golden Books versions of the Original Trilogy to my 6-year old daughter last night. I really wish I had been videotaping her reaction to the Darth Vader parentage reveal. I saw her eyes widen, and she goes, "Wait... what?!?!" She was incredulous about it, saying, "Is that real? Darth Vader is really Luke's father? No way."

It's cool to hear someone's genuinely amazed reaction to that reveal. Star Wars is so ingrained in our culture you would almost expect them to come out of the womb knowing that already.

curb

Banned

I've glanced through the set I bought. I'll definitely be waiting a little bit until I read them to her since she's only almost three but I'm really looking forward to it.

It's cool to hear someone's genuinely amazed reaction to that reveal. Star Wars is so ingrained in our culture you would almost expect them to come out of the womb knowing that already.

Yeah, she hasn't had a lot of exposure to Star Wars, and I've been careful to try and avoid spoiling anything for her over the years. I've also tried to avoid pushing my interests on her for the most part, and she's naturally preferred the girl-focused properties. She's started to show more of an interest in Star Wars lately, which I'm sure is tied to the Disney marketing push for TFA.

I really wanted to have her watch the movies first, but I'd started Episode IV a half dozen times with her over the past year, and we'd never gotten past the first half hour for one reason or another. Oh well, the cat's outta the bag now. We'll probably tackle the Prequel Trilogy books tonight.

I've glanced through the set I bought. I'll definitely be waiting a little bit until I read them to her since she's only almost three but I'm really looking forward to it.

I glanced through them all before reading. It really, really simplifies everything. So much so that the motivations of the characters and key events are lost. Oh well, it hits the most important story beats, I guess.

One thing that did annoy the heck out of me last night was the ESB book referring to Cloud City itself as Bespin, instead of as the name of the planet. I'm not sure if this was an editorial oversight, or if they wanted to write it this way. Regardless, I didn't like it.

I'm not seeing a way to buy the Rebels season 2 episodes yet. I checked Amazon and Google play. I would rather buy it right away and get the episodes as they come out, but I want to watch it tomorrow, and it looks like I might not have a legal way at the moment. I wish they made this easier. Last season I had to go to other sites to download the episodes until they put the digital season up for me to buy. I don't remember how far in that was though.

Cth

Was there ever an EU story or comic that showed what happened at that dinner on Bespin with Vader, Fett, Leia, Han, etc?

If not, I'm surprised given how they've had a story for everything else.

Toxi

Banned
Was there ever an EU story or comic that showed what happened at that dinner on Bespin with Vader, Fett, Leia, Han, etc?

If not, I'm surprised given how they've had a story for everything else.
You ever watch Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? It's sorta like that.

Sayers

Have to say, not a huge fan of this first episode.
The hunting scene went on way too long and seemed way too lighthearted given that Zeb was in mortal danger the entire time. I also thought they handled Wolffe's betrayal poorly. Rex just yells at him and he's all "I'm sorry guys" and it's considered dealt with? It's at least a two parter so it may be a little early to judge it fully but I wasn't all that impressed.

Hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for what is to come though.

Very interesting. Who are they? Kiri Hart, Jennifer Heddle, and...?

The only other confirmed Story Group people I can even think of are Pablo Hidalgo and Leeland Chee, so I guess they're the two males.

Heddle is not part of Story Group. From the credits that have popped up here and there during the past year, we know the following are members:

Kiri Hart (Development Lead and head of Story Group.)
Carrie Beck (Creative Content Strategy)
Diana Williams (Franchise Synergy)
Rayne Roberts
Pablo Hidalgo
Leeland Chee

It's really good art, but I'm not seeing anything entirely new besides the raging Chewie promo pic in the Topps Classic section. Loads of great avatar material, though.

Came back to Full of Sith this morning with a little special edition solo show. Nothing you guys haven't heard from me before, but now you actually get to hear it :)

Also, for the trailer release, I'm basically hosting/moderating a panel show featuring members from ForceCast, Radio 1138, Fangirls Going Rogue, Tosche Station, Club Jade, Star Wars Report, and Coffee w/ Kenobi

io9 sez:

We’ve heard from multiple sources that here’s what’s happening with Star Wars: The Force Awakens this weekend.

First, we’ll get to see the official one sheet on Sunday morning.

Second, the trailer will debut Monday night, roughly around 8pm EST.

Third, tickets will go on sale very soon after that, likely around 8:30pm EST. They should be available at most, if not all, ticketing sites and theaters.

Can anyone in the know (BobbyRoberts) verify?

I've heard that specific chain of events somewhere before - I think it was Making Star Wars' initial prediction. I'm wondering if io9 is simply re-reporting what they said without actually realizing it's the same prediction.

Or maybe they spoke to the same source, or independently verified that information via someone else.

I've also seen the guy who called the instagram tease featuring Finn WEEKS before anyone heard anything, saying that the trailer's actually dropping tomorrow.

It's still really up in the air, basically. Monday seems like the most solid bet, though, considering the ticket sales and Breznican's tweet. It's just a matter of WHEN on Monday

I've heard that specific chain of events somewhere before - I think it was Making Star Wars' initial prediction. I'm wondering if io9 is simply re-reporting what they said without actually realizing it's the same prediction.

Or maybe they spoke to the same source, or independently verified that information via someone else.

I've also seen the guy who called the instagram tease featuring Finn WEEKS before anyone heard anything, saying that the trailer's actually dropping tomorrow.

It's still really up in the air, basically. Monday seems like the most solid bet, though, considering the ticket sales and Breznican's tweet. It's just a matter of WHEN on Monday

Monday Night Football seems logical. Get it in front of the most eyes at once.

Monday Night Football seems logical. Get it in front of the most eyes at once.

But they'll get twice as many eyes if they drop it in the morning online. Also running it during MNF won't hurt, but if they're looking to actually get the most people seeing it, confining it to a televised broadcast of a football game isn't as good as letting it run on demand for whoever wants to see it online.

Basically, MNF alone? 10 mil. (maybe)
All day online + MNF? 35 mil (maybe 40)

Plus that's all day long that you can take pre-sales.

But they'll get twice as many eyes if they drop it in the morning online. Also running it during MNF won't hurt, but if they're looking to actually get the most people seeing it, confining it to a televised broadcast of a football game isn't as good as letting it run on demand for whoever wants to see it online.

I agree with you - I was just thinking TV only. Gimme that sweet sweet goodness in the morning so I can watch it 50+ times. :)

Heh, no doubt.

MNF is smart because it'll hit an audience that might not be caught up in the sharing of a bunch of commercials online. But it doesn't seem smart to then CUT OUT that aspect of the audience (and the newsmedia) that will be disseminating this thing in ridiculous numbers for 6 or 7 straight hours before the football game. Just put it online, and then get the bonus 10 mil later in the day. It's not like people won't tune into the game if it's been online already - and you're not gonna get a bunch of people to tune in that otherwise wouldn't, either. You're just not.

But there's also the brand synergy aspect of Disney owning ESPN, which airs MNF.

But there's also the brand synergy aspect of Disney owning ESPN, which airs MNF.

This doesn't dent that at all though. Again - it's not as if I'm saying it shouldn't be on MNF at all. I'm saying it should absolutely air there. The synergy would draw eyeballs to the trailer that might not otherwise have seen it zipping around the internet all day. But I just don't see how it's particularly wise to cut out the people who WILL be zipping it around the internet all day (the 20+ million that will be doing so) for the sake of increasing ratings for MNF - which isn't even a guarantee, because there's nothing that says people who normally don't watch football are going to tune in JUST for that, especially when they know it's going online the second it debuts.

The synergy is best used as a means to engage people who aren't already online. That's 10 mil. But putting it up earlier in the morning on sw.com/youtube/iTunes will get you twice that many eyeballs and a full days worth of pre-sales before you add that guaranteed 10 mil from the football game.

This doesn't dent that at all though. Again - it's not as if I'm saying it shouldn't be on MNF at all. I'm saying it should absolutely air there. The synergy would draw eyeballs to the trailer that might not otherwise have seen it zipping around the internet all day. But I just don't see how it's particularly wise to cut out the people who WILL be zipping it around the internet all day (the 20+ million that will be doing so) for the sake of increasing ratings for MNF - which isn't even a guarantee, because there's nothing that says people who normally don't watch football are going to tune in JUST for that, especially when they know it's going online the second it debuts.

The synergy is best used as a means to engage people who aren't already online. That's 10 mil. But putting it up earlier in the morning on sw.com/youtube/iTunes will get you twice that many eyeballs and a full days worth of pre-sales before you add that guaranteed 10 mil from the football game.

We all might be outliers, but maybe we aren't, in the sense that I'd watch it all day online, but would also watch it on MNF just for the spectacle of the event itself. Watching live with 10 million other people simultaneously (then seeing Twitter blow up about it) will be amazing.

Top Bottom