• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

I'm thinking about Lost Stars but really want to read something that leads into The Force Awakens - is Aftermath my best bet?

Ideally I want something that also lives up to Lords of the Sith. Any recommendations?

Aftermath is pretty much your only option if you want something that's post-ROTJ. I finished it last week and it was quite a good read. Dark Disciple was also very good. Lost Stars is on-deck next for me. Other than that, if you don't mind Old Republic, the Darth Bane novels were really fun.

Also, there's another one of those Juvie/Teen novels coming out in December called "Before the Awakening" by Greg Rucka, and looks like it's going to focus on Finn, Rey and Poe going into the movie.

Tizoc

Yo that Citadel 3 parter was good, the best story so far. I had a few issues with it but it was great non the less
RIP R2 battle droid unit ToT7 ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL!

The 2 parter finale was good too.

Onto Season 4 and
Darth Maul

BTW remind me who Tarkin is? He felt familiar...

I'm coming towards the end of my first ever Star Wars novel! (Lords of the Sith).
Only got about 20 or pages left and so far I've really enjoyed it, so much so that I want to read another Star Wars novel when I'm finished.

I'm thinking about Lost Stars but really want to read something that leads into The Force Awakens - is Aftermath my best bet?

Ideally I want something that also lives up to Lords of the Sith. Any recommendations?

The end of Lost Stars is set post RotJ and involves the Battle of Jakku which ties quite nicely into the Force Awakens. It's also a really good read. But as Freeza said, for a book entirely set in that period Aftermath is your best bet. I'm still only about halfway through it but I've enjoyed what I've read.

BTW remind me who Tarkin is? He felt familiar...

The man keeping Vader on a leash in the original Star Wars played by the brilliant Peter Cushing.

"As you wish" is much better now that Morrison got some actual direction to do it instead.

Yeah, I am really happy about this. So glad those rumor about someone else taking Boba Fett's mantle turned out to be untrue.

I am so happy about the Anakin/Obi-wan comic. That era was underutilized even in the old canon. Hopefully this opens up the time frame a bit more so we can get more stuff between TPM and AotC.

I highly excited for this. I also hope this does well enough for them to start telling more stories in the Prequel Era.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm coming towards the end of my first ever Star Wars novel! (Lords of the Sith).
Only got about 20 or pages left and so far I've really enjoyed it, so much so that I want to read another Star Wars novel when I'm finished.

Neither Aftermath nor Lost Stars tie into The Force Awakens, since they're both decades before it happens. Aftermath takes place about three months after RotJ while Lost Stars takes place mostly during the Dark Times and the Galactic Civil War, with the last few chapters taking place one year after RotJ. So if you want whatever is closest to TFA in the timeline, it's that, although it's still 29 years off.

That said, Lost Stars is the better of the two.

Sayers

I've been rewatching some episodes of Rebels in anticipation of Season 2 and I forgot how funny the show can actually be. The Lando episode has some really great moments.

Ezalc

My biggest anticipation regarding new star wars content is that only one of my favorite Jedi survived the purge, and I'm hoping they introduce him again in rebels somehow.

Cheebo

Banned
My biggest anticipation regarding new star wars content is that only one of my favorite Jedi survived the purge, and I'm hoping they introduce him again in rebels somehow.

Who? The only Jedi that we know survived the Purge are Yoda, Obi-Wan, Ashoka, & Kanan.

silenttwn

I finished reading the Lando comic last night. I loved it. Sets up Lando's involvement with the Rebel Alliance beautifully. I caught up with Shatterd Empire as well, but I feel like the story is too big for the amount of pages they're trying to capture it in.

Hagi

anyone buy the new Star Wars box set that released today? I didn't buy the last one so I went for this because I need copies of the prequels to watch with my girlfriend. Is it just a straight up repackage? haven't really been able to find much info about it.

Cheebo

Banned
anyone buy the new Star Wars box set that released today? I didn't buy the last one so I went for this because I need copies of the prequels to watch with my girlfriend. Is it just a straight up repackage? haven't really been able to find much info about it.

Straight up repackage.

I was curious to see what it looked like more than anything. Only found the image below.

$_57.JPG

I think I prefer the old packaging.

Boem

Hey Star Wars-Gaf. I have a question: I'm not too much into Star Wars myself, but I'm looking for a present for a buddy who's a massive fan and had a bit of bad luck health-wise lately. Something involving walking around or even gaming isn't an option for him, so I figured I'd get a book, and through some sneaky questions (read: he totally knows what I'm up to) I know he's interested in the New Canon stuff but hasn't read anything about it yet.

I've been looking around and I noticed they had a combined version of the first two New Canon novels. This one:

Which seems like it's a good deal. Have any of the other novels been collected with some added material like that? Are those two books good enough or is there something better out there?

If you guys think these books are worth it I think I'll go for this and that book directly leading up to the new movie (Aftermath?). Good choices? Better options out there? Keep in mind I'll probably end up borrowing them from him after he's done so there's some self-interest here as well ;). Thanks!

Edit: I should note: I'm planning on giving them to him at the end of the week, so if something super interesting comes out after that I'm afraid he'll have to buy it himself.

Edit2: I don't know for sure if he's interested in the comics but I can ask. Have they collected those already or do you still have to buy separate issues at this point?

Koriandrr

Do you guys know generally when tickets will be available for IMAX screenings?
I'm kind of camping the London one, but knowing the dates would be awesome. Google didn't help much. Or I failed :(

Hey Star Wars-Gaf. I have a question: I'm not too much into Star Wars myself, but I'm looking for a present for a buddy who's a massive fan and had a bit of bad luck health-wise lately. Something involving walking around or even gaming isn't an option for him, so I figured I'd get a book, and through some sneaky questions (read: he totally knows what I'm up to) I know he's interested in the New Canon stuff but hasn't read anything about it yet.

I've been looking around and I noticed they had a combined version of the first two New Canon novels. This one:

Which seems like it's a good deal. Have any of the other novels been collected with some added material like that? Are those two books good enough or is there something better out there?

If you guys think these books are worth it I think I'll go for this and that book directly leading up to the new movie (Aftermath?). Good choices? Better options out there? Keep in mind I'll probably end up lending them from him after he's done so there's some self-interest here as well ;). Thanks!

Edit: I should note: I'm planning on giving them to him at the end of the week, so if something super interesting comes out after that I'm afraid he'll have to buy it himself.

That's the first collected edition in the new canon but I expect more will be on the way at some point. I enjoyed A New Dawn and Tarkin and seeing it comes with a few short stories as well it seems like a good deal.

Hagi

Straight up repackage.

as I thought, not a big deal then

I was curious to see what it looked like more than anything. Only found the image below.

I think I prefer the old packaging.

ah cool wasn't really sure how it was packed, I should get it tomorrow morning. £50 isn't too bad for all the films when the they are selling the steelbooks individually for £20 a pop. It's been so long since I've sat and watched the prequels I'm actually looking forward to it.

Cheebo

Banned
Do you guys know generally when tickets will be available for IMAX screenings?
I'm kind of camping the London one, but knowing the dates would be awesome. Google didn't help much. Or I failed :(

All signs point to Monday for ticket sales being open online. And I am betting the opening night first screenings will be sold out within minutes for big cities.

Edit2: I don't know for sure if he's interested in the comics but I can ask. Have they collected those already or do you still have to buy separate issues at this point?

The first trades for Star Wars and Vader came out recently collecting the first five or so issues of each. Both really good.

sphagnum

Banned
Rise of the Empire is a good choice since it has two good books (I know some people don't like Tarkin, but I did) and the short stories are enjoyable. Well, I thought Hera's short story was kind of bland but the other two are fun.

MattyG

Banned
All signs point to Monday for ticket sales being open online. And I am betting the opening night first screenings will be sold out within minutes for big cities.
I'm so glad most people in Maine won't care enough to be waiting for them to go up. I figure if I order within the first hour I'll be able to get into the first showing.

Cheebo

Banned
I'm so glad most people in Maine won't care enough to be waiting for them to go up. I figure if I order within the first hour I'll be able to get into the first showing.
I live in the biggest college town in my state, only 1 single IMAX screen in the area. I am nervous these things will be gone in seconds here.

Cheebo

Banned
Still so bizarre we'll be getting another film with Han, Luke and Leia in a little over two months.
As hyped as I am it still doesn't feel as shocking and mind blowing as getting a new Star Wars film in 1999 was. I think having The Clone Wars and Rebels on the air for the majority of the past 10 years since Episode III has kind of clouded the craziness of getting a sequel to Return of the Jedi for me and made me almost just accept it as being real a lot more readily.

As hyped as I am it still doesn't feel as shocking and mind blowing as getting a new Star Wars film in 1999 was. I think having The Clone Wars and Rebels on the air for the majority of the past 10 years since Episode III has kind of clouded the craziness of getting a sequel to Return of the Jedi for me and made me almost just accept it as being real a lot more readily.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I was only 6 when The Phantom Menace came out so there was a lot of Star Wars content for me to enjoy already during my childhood. The sequel trilogy is kind of my prequel trilogy in terms of having new Star Wars films to enjoy. But hopefully they're better.

curb

Banned
Yeah, I see what you mean. I was only 6 when The Phantom Menace came out so there was a lot of Star Wars content for me to enjoy already during my childhood. The sequel trilogy is kind of my prequel trilogy in terms of having new Star Wars films to enjoy. But hopefully they're better.

I feel so old.

So we can blame you for Jar Jar, huh?

Sayers

(Crossposted to the Rebels OT)

Big ol' huge interview with Dave Filoni, Ashley Eckstein, Taylor Gray (Ezra Bridger) and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...t-and-co-creator-look-to-season-2-and-beyond/

Lots more at the link.

Awesome, will read. Thanks.

I wonder though if the film makers care about the stuff that happens in the cartoons or if they would view it as "that's the kid stuff, we're out here doing the important work".

And really, as much as I love Ahsoka, she doesn't need to be in everything. They already have a problem with using Chewie every time wookies are involved. Although I suspect that question was really just a stealth "she's going to be OK, right?"

curb

Banned
With all this clamoring for a new trailer, merchandising overload, books, comics, new Disney Infinity figures revealed today - man, I hope Force Awakens is actually good.

Hagi

With all this clamoring for a new trailer, merchandising overload, books, comics, new Disney Infinity figures revealed today - man, I hope Force Awakens is actually good.

I think the lack of footage and spacing out of the merchandise has actually kept my hype in check so even if it only turns out only alright I'm not going to be overly disappointed.

Chuck Wendig had an interview with TheForce.net. Kinda interesting. What jumped out at me was this bit:

Question #18
Would you like to write more SW novels after the Aftermath Trilogy? Perhaps a novel or a trilogy set between ROTJ & TFA featuring the OT3 Luke,Han and Leia? Or an OT3 novel that leads into TFA?

Chuck - At present, probably not? I’ve enjoyed plotting the series and writing the first book (I’m on the second book now which is also hella fun). I will note that some of the response from the community has given me pause. For the most part, the response has been great. Fans in general are awesome, and it’s nice to share that love with folks. But while it’s starting to quiet down now, for a while there it was pretty venomous in terms of what was coming my way both publicly and privately. (And I don’t just mean criticism of the book — I mean something bigger, stranger, and altogether nastier.) That said, if they invite me to write more and it’s about a story that tickles me in some way and it makes sense in terms of my schedule… then I’d at least consider it.

Basically, the guy who was already a fairly well-known, successful genre writer before ever getting the Star Wars gig (which he famously, specifically asked for) would have to be convinced by Lucasfilm to come back because having to deal with the more unsavory aspects of Star Wars fandom isn't fuckin' worth it.

Speaking of interviews, the official site has a pretty decent one here with the writer of the new Obi-Wan & Anakin comic. He goes fairly in-depth on how he wants to characterize the duo, and it makes for an interesting read.

Hagi

Speaking of interviews, the official site has a pretty decent one here with the writer of the new Obi-Wan & Anakin comic. He goes fairly in-depth on how he wants to characterize the duo, and it makes for an interesting read.

Soule is good people, I really liked his Lando comic so I'm expecting to like this as well.

It's different for me. In 1999 I was a teenager, and I recall being happy for a new film, but not that interested in the setting. We already knew all the important bits of Anakin's story. And the way Lucas managed the prequels, and the way were received overall, I figured we'd never see another trilogy in theatres.

Now we're about to see a wholly new Star Wars story in film, something we haven't had since 1977! Not only that, this is the first of many Star Wars films coming out - films that are being put together with a real onus on making them good movies, rather than just 'good' Star Wars movies.

Chuck Wendig had an interview with TheForce.net. Kinda interesting. What jumped out at me was this bit:

Basically, the guy who was already a fairly well-known, successful genre writer before ever getting the Star Wars gig (which he famously, specifically asked for) would have to be convinced by Lucasfilm to come back because having to deal with the more unsavory aspects of Star Wars fandom isn't fuckin' worth it.

I'm really not surprised by this after some of the shit I've read. Even on the Star Wars Del Rey Facebook page there's always top rated comments about how much Wendig and Aftermath sucks. It sounds like he's enjoyed writing them but when you're getting that much abuse targeted at you what's the point? So many had already decided the book was crap before even reading the first page and I expect a lot of those who gave 1 star reviews on Amazon haven't even read it.

Top Bottom