• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Fj0823

The tree stuff was kinda weird, it's a not-subtle-at-all reference to LOTR. I wonder where they're going with it.

The only tree I'm aware of is the one that appears on the Temple courtyard in TCW during the final Season 5 arc and the Season 6 Yoda arc.

That seems to be it.

Weird that its a force strong tree...I dunno, but seems interesting albeit a bit weird that Luke would go out of his way for it.

(If we see a similar tree in Luke's hiding place in VII, then HOLY SHIT)

That seems to be it.

Weird that its a force strong tree...I dunno, but seems interesting albeit a bit weird that Luke would go out of his way for it.

Maybe they were Jedi Master T'ra Saa's kids?

TraBattleMeditation.jpg

sphagnum

Banned
Why wouldn't a tree be able to be strong in the Force? It's a living thing. It's got midichlorians!

And if a cave can be full of the dark side, a tree can have the Force too.

That seems to be it.

It seems like they're borrowing bits and pieces of Christian/Catholic theology (incarnational, relics) as well.

I can't wait to see the significance of these things.

Tizoc

Sorry if I asked this already but where can I read about the major problems of Phantom Menace? I get that the movie ended up being disliked a lot upon release.

Personally my ranking of the prequel trilogies are
'Best': Attack of the Clones, mainly because the 2nd half is good. The first half would've been a lot better without the Padem and Ani stuff.
The other 2 I'd rank beneath it.
Phantom Menace has some good stuff but the bad stuff compound it. Revenge of the Sith was too rushed.

Other than that I'm about to start Season 5 of Clone Wars. Season 4 was overall really good, the best season IMO, although various story arcs felt like they padded by one episode too long.

Fj0823

Why wouldn't a tree be able to be strong in the Force? It's a living thing. It's got midichlorians!

And if a cave can be full of the dark side, a tree can have the Force too.

No no, I mean I get it. Every living thing has some force sensitivity.

My point is what makes it special? Just because It was on the temple doesn't mean it's gotta be some mystic shit. Luke should've at least hinted at his suspicions or something

Sorry if I asked this already but where can I read about the major problems of Phantom Menace? I get that the movie ended up being disliked a lot upon release.

Personally my ranking of the prequel trilogies are
'Best': Attack of the Clones, mainly because the 2nd half is good. The first half would've been a lot better without the Padem and Ani stuff.
The other 2 I'd rank beneath it.
Phantom Menace has some good stuff but the bad stuff compound it. Revenge of the Sith was too rushed.

Other than that I'm about to start Season 5 of Clone Wars. Season 4 was overall really good, the best season IMO, although various story arcs felt like they padded by one episode too long.

Huh, that's a rare opinion, must people like myself usually think it's the weakest due to the kind of unnatural romance. But gotta say, i kinda warmed up to it when my girlfriend commented that most boys are freaking creeps when nervously trying to impress an important girl at that age and said she felt that angle made sense for her.....Looking back at my late teens, I can only agree.

As for people hating on menace the list kinda goes like this.

1- Jar Jar binks being annoying, and he is.
2-Changes, they hate changes from the OT, Qui-Gonn being Obi-Wan's mentor in his teens while yoda being only being his teacher as a kid offscreen pissed fans expecting to see them together. Another good source of criticism in that area is the change to more fast paced battles (Those get nitpicked to hell and back)
3- The Midichlorians, some people thought they were the force itself, and got pissed, and other got the explanation right, and got even more pissed because they thought a physical component to the force takes away the magic of it.
4-The focus on politics. I mean I get it, it's all Palpatine's game. But many just wanted more adventure less world building and exposition.
5-Jake Lloyds acting.
6--The hype was waaaay too strong, I expect a similar effect on VII's reception a la Age of Ultron.

And I say this as someone who reaaaally liked the prequels as a kid.But I am just as critical of the original trilogy though (Fuck 3PO)

Sayers

It gets even better in Season 5. Then tears your heart out.

Tizoc

Right now Ep. 7 looks to benefiting from being more of an adventure like A new hope. Long as the pacing is good and the action is straight forward and not hopping from place to place, it'll be good I think.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
That seems to be it.

It's just the second episode if you don't count the one they aired months ago.

I figure it must have significance to the
Damerons
if the whole comic arc was setup ultimately for that to happen.

I just finished it and that certainly seems possible. I haven't been up on spoilers but I've wondered if
Finn is actually not Force sensitive and that him being shown with the saber is just a misdirection

I've been kinda assuming that one for a while, I mean
he might be, but I reckon he's getting his ass kicked.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Reposting from the trailer thread but there's something that stuck out to me from the trailer and about Star Wars in general. It stars with the lines from Rey & Finn.

"I'm no one."
"I've got nothing to fight for."

It really gets to me because it reminds me of one the biggest parts that stuck with me from Star Wars, Luke's longing for adventure. When I rewatched it on Amazon a few weeks ago, seeing Luke's melancholy over not being able to join the Imperial Academy really got to me. He's been a moisture farmer for all his life and he wants something greater that's out there, he wants his life to have a sense of purpose.

IDK, maybe it's because I'm only 18 but it just really stuck out to me, the binary sunset scene especially. But when you combine it with those lines from Rey & Finn and how they want a sense of purpose, it already creates a motif throughout the Star Wars saga. You have this running theme of young people being caught up in a universe far bigger than they could imagine all for the same purpose, finding who they are.

That's just a really big reason why I like the OT so much despite only really being interested in Star Wars recently. Every teen has that longing of being a part of something greater, and Star Wars reflects that but it just puts that longing on a much more grander scale. There's just so many different things I could pick apart but that's what really gets to me the most.

Liamario

Banned
What if in the PT, Palpatine had been slowly messing with Anikan's mind over the course of the three movies. I'm not talking about how he did it in the films. I'm talking about manipulating his mind with the force over a long period of time. Giving him nightmares, making him paranoid. Almost like he's slowly developing a mental illness (like depression), warping his mind and his way of thinking?

If I hadn't just finished Shattered Empire a couple minutes ago I'd be a little upset with them too.

I didn't see this but yeah, please don't post unmarked spoilers in here for the film or comics/books that have just been released.

It boils down to quite a lot of average acting and a story about trade disputes. Jar-Jar didn't help.

sphagnum

Banned
New chapter of The Story Before The Force Awakens is out in Korean. Too bad it will take a few weeks to get to the English version. I liked the Mustafar callbacks in this one.

EQgMCqZ.jpg

sphagnum

Banned
Is that the "I am your father!"? looks sick.

I can't tell since I can't read Korean, but I'm pretty sure last week had the "I am your father!" panel since it ended with Luke in shock. This may be Vader saying "Search your feelings, you know it to be true", because the next panel is Luke flipping out and screaming.

From what I've heard, aren't all of them at least decent?

I really should get a Marvel Unlimited subscription so I can actually read these.

I'm not caught up on everything, so I can't speak to the quality of them all, but Kanan's definitely been decent, despite IGN ranking it last.

Hell no. Vader is a really not good comic. Especially considering the level of Gillen's previous works.

It just lays there, week after week. It's getting a little better now, but it's still a lackluster book. Just a bunch of semi-okay concepts lazily executed and thrown against each other.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hell no. Vader is a really not good comic. Especially considering the level of Gillen's previous works.

It just lays there, week after week. It's getting a little better now, but it's still a lackluster book. Just a bunch of semi-okay concepts lazily executed and thrown against each other.

What what what?

Read the first trade and was blown away. And the art. Man. Only Palpatine looked shitty.

Nothing's fucking with Soule's story on Lando, and certainly nothing's fucking with Maleev's art there, either.

Haven't read any of Chewbacca yet though, and that's got Noto working on it, so basically that's gonna be the best looking of all these books, period. Although Immonen's work on Star Wars is, as per usual, amazing.

(we did a "report card" show on the Marvel Comics a couple months ago, if you wanna hear more in-depth convo about the line - even has a Kieron Gillen interview in it)

Nothing's fucking with Soule's story on Lando, and certainly nothing's fucking with Maleev's art there, either.

Haven't read any of Chewbacca yet though, and that's got Noto working on it, so basically that's gonna be the best looking of all these books, period. Although Immonen's work on Star Wars is, as per usual, amazing.

I thought the first issue was really promising. Noto's art is fantastic as you'd expect.

Top Bottom