• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

XJKSGfo.jpg

maybe.

or it could be that i'm self aware enough to realise that i'm old enough to have seen a new hope within a month of its UK release and every other live action star wars movie so far day one and yet stll choose to represent myself with a bloody cartoon camel.

curb

Banned
I finished up Revenge of the Sith last night as planned. I really enjoy that one a lot. I love Episode III Obi-Wan. It was fitting to finish it up and then wait for tickets and trailer. Less fitting was that there was nothing else to do but watch Canadian election results while I waited but it was a great evening nonetheless.

The damn music in that trailer though - gets me every time. I'm going to need to really prepare myself before going to see it so that I don't end up a total mess.

Sayers

Shaak-Ti basically doomed the whole Jedi order with her obliviousness. I mean the other Jedi were oblivious, but at least they weren't on fucking Kamino 24/7.

Oh just you wait until "The Lost One" episode. The whole council goes full on stupid. Master Ti isn't the only one.

Need Help. I want to get my kids in to star wars, but I keep hearing conflicting things about which movies to watch in what order.

Should of just asked GAF to begin with.

What order should we re-watch the older films in preparation for TFA

curb

Banned
I never thought I'd see someone argue with me saying Star Wars would exist without George Lucas. Off Topic never ceases to amaze.

wat.gif

It's one of the things that bothers me about all the Lucas hate online. The dude CREATED Star Wars from his imagination. There would be no Star Wars without him. Maybe he wasn't always the best screenwriter but he's an amazing idea-man. Yes, others can continue to tell stories in the universe he created but it wouldn't exist without him.

BFIB

Need Help. I want to get my kids in to star wars, but I keep hearing conflicting things about which movies to watch in what order.

Should of just asked GAF to begin with.

What order should we re-watch the older films in preparation for TFA

I would start with the Original Trilogy (4, 5, 6). TFA is going to be based as a direct sequel to Episode VI.

If your kids are really into it, then I would watch the prequels (1, 2, 3).

If this is your first time ever watching them, your going to be thrown off a little bit by some of the things that you see. That's by design, as Lucas has went back over the years and has "redone" some of the story to fit an overall arc from Episode 1-6.

Some will recommend to just watch them from Episode 1 on. Its your choice really, but if your kids have no idea, or if you do not have any idea on the big "reveal" in Empire Strikes Back, I would start w/ the original trilogy (4, 5, 6).

THERE'S MORE! Lets say you get through all the episodes, and you want more. There's the Clone Wars TV show, which takes place between Episode II (Attack of the Clones) and Episode III (Revenge of the Sith). It fleshes out a lot of the story on the prequels.

But more than anything, just enjoy them for what they are. A lot of people tend to go overboard on Lucas "ruining their childhood" because there has been so many changes to the overall story. But the story is complete, at least from Episodes 1-6. Now we start a new chapter, with a new legacy being built with the new characters.

sphagnum

Banned
Ugh. I was hoping to take my 6 year old, but I don't know now. Guess I'd better watch it myself first before deciding if it would be too intense for her.

It won't be any more intense than any other Star Wars movie other than the action being more kinetic. PG-13 is just the modern day action movie rating. If this same movie was released 20 years ago it would've been PG.

Or let me put it this way: there won't be anything in this movie as mind scarring to a six year old as Anakin burning alive in Episode III.

Oh rats, you'll have to watch it at twice.

Well, yeah, that was probably going to happen regardless...

The bigger question is whether I should let my kid watch it at all. And it kinda spoils the fun of going on opening night, as I had bought 7 p.m. tickets for the two of us (thankfully sprung for two adult tickets, just in case). If it was PG, I wouldn't have thought twice, but PG-13 is making me reconsider. Maybe I'll see what EuroGAF has to say about it before the U.S. release.

curb

Banned

The bigger question is whether I should let my kid watch it at all. And it kinda spoils the fun of going on opening night, as I had bought 7 p.m. tickets for the two of us (thankfully sprung for two adult tickets, just in case). If it was PG, I wouldn't have thought twice, but PG-13 is making me reconsider. Maybe I'll see what EuroGAF has to say about it before the U.S. release.

It shouldn't be too hard to get some spoiler-free ParentGAF advice on it's content before you go.

BFIB

Has your kid watched ROTS? I wouldn't think this would be as dark as that one got.

Has your kid watched ROTS? I wouldn't think this would be as dark as that one got.

No, not yet. I recently read her the Little Golden Books versions of all six films, so she knows the gist of the story. As far as the films go, she's seen the first 20 to 30 minutes of ANH several times, and she just watched the Luke-Vader duel at the end of ESB the other day. She was puzzled as to why Vader would cut off Luke's hand, but it didn't bother her at all (which is a different reaction than I had as a kid!).

Although I did kind of spook her the next day when I pulled out my Master Replicas Vader lightsaber that she'd never seen before. She was all like "that's not real, is it?" as I advanced toward her with it lit up.

I'm not sure what she would think of RotS. It obviously goes in some dark places, but thankfully the truly dreadful things, like Anakin murdering the younglings, is merely implied.

Zombine

Banned
I never thought I'd see someone argue with me saying Star Wars would exist without George Lucas. Off Topic never ceases to amaze.

It's OT, of course this will happen. Enthusiasts vs. casual observers. It's like when you would play Pokemon as a kid and your parents would say their names wrong and you'd be like "UGH, MOM. ITS POKEMON NOT POKEMANS."

BFIB

No, not yet. I recently read her the Little Golden Books versions of all six films, so she knows the gist of the story. As far as the films go, she's seen the first 20 to 30 minutes of ANH several times, and she just watched the Luke-Vader duel at the end of ESB the other day. She was puzzled as to why Vader would cut off Luke's hand, but it didn't bother her at all (which is a different reaction than I had as a kid!).

Although I did kind of spook her the next day when I pulled out my Master Replicas Vader lightsaber that she'd never seen before. She was all like "that's not real, is it?" as I advanced toward her with it lit up.

I'm not sure what she would think of RotS. It obviously goes in some dark places, but thankfully the truly dreadful things, like Anakin murdering the younglings, is merely implied.

Sounds like your doing what a great father should do, which is to figure out a way to handle it right.

A better father than Vader at least. Deadbeat dad. :)

sphagnum

Banned

How are those books anyway? I was wondering how they handle RotS.

How are those books anyway? I was wondering how they handle RotS.

Everything is really, really simplified. So much so that you lose a ton of the plot and justifications for character actions. (Although, to be fair, one could make the same argument of the prequel movies themselves.)

I'll have to check when I get home, but you pretty much go from Anakin fearing Padme's death, Palpatine telling Anakin he knows how Padme can be saved, Mace confronting Palpatine, Anakin betraying Mace, and then Palpatine naming Anakin Darth Vader in the span of about 2 or 3 pages. Darth Vader then "destroys" the Jedi Temple, and is confronted on Mustafar by Padme & Obi-wan. My kid had a real hard time following Anakin's turn from good to bad, probably because of how abrupt it was (i.e. there was no mention of Anakin murdering a helpless Dooku, they just use flowery language like "struck him down").

Sounds like your doing what a great father should do, which is to figure out a way to handle it right.

A better father than Vader at least. Deadbeat dad. :)

Thanks. I think revealing the Star Wars saga to my daughter has somewhat enlightened me on how highly she regards me as well. She views Vader's reveal to Luke as a real struggle for him, because Luke would have to decide between his father and his friends, which is cute to hear. Obviously as adults, we all realize that Luke's reaction is more out of sheer horror of finding out that his father is this monster, and that he never really contemplates joining his father, but rather feels the compulsion to try and turn him back to the light.

Sayers

I'll have to check when I get home, but you pretty much go from Anakin fearing Padme's death, Palpatine telling Anakin he knows how Padme can be saved, Mace confronting Palpatine, Anakin betraying Mace, and then Palpatine naming Anakin Darth Vader in the span of about 2 or 3 pages.

That sounds about right. That's probably how many pages it was in the script.

curb

Banned
Thanks. I think revealing the Star Wars saga to my daughter has somewhat enlightened me on how highly she regards me as well. She views Vader's reveal to Luke as a real struggle for him, because Luke would have to decide between his father and his friends, which is cute to hear. Obviously as adults, we all realize that Luke's reaction is more out of sheer horror of finding out that his father is this monster, and that he never really contemplates joining his father, but rather feels the compulsion to try and turn him back to the light.

I look forward to this in a few years. That is, if my now nearly three year old takes to Star Wars. I don't want to push her into liking it if it doesn't interest her. I hope I get to have a similar experience of introducing her to one of the things I love and that meant so much to my childhood.

Sharpeye

Honestly the only Jedi that have a good head on their shoulders on the council are Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Plo Koon. Plo Koon is really an under rated jedi and he had a good relationship with Ahsoka.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
maybe.

or it could be that i'm self aware enough to realise that i'm old enough to have seen a new hope within a month of its UK release and every other live action star wars movie so far day one and yet stll choose to represent myself with a bloody cartoon camel.
No reason to insult other people.

I look forward to this in a few years. That is, if my now nearly three year old takes to Star Wars. I don't want to push her into liking it if it doesn't interest her. I hope I get to have a similar experience of introducing her to one of the things I love and that meant so much to my childhood.

It can be pretty cool. I just got the Lego Force Awaken Millennium Falcon and put it together. My daughter thought it was awesome, but then mentioned that it would be cool if it was way bigger. That's when I pulled out my enormous Falcon for the 4" figures that Hasbro released 6 or 7 years ago. She was pretty stunned at that thing.

Sayers

Honestly the only Jedi that have a good head on their shoulders on the council are Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Plo Koon. Plo Koon is really an under rated jedi and he had a good relationship with Ahsoka.

But even those three put politics above the truth in the end of Season 5 either through direct action (Yoda, Plo(?)) or by remaining silent (Obi-Wan). Following that, Plo is the only one who actually apologizes and Obi-Wan later engages in some pretty shameful victim blaming in defending an institution that acted in a way he himself opposed. And it isn't until the end of Season 6 that we even get the sense that Yoda is even bothered by what happened. All of them became more loyal to the institution itself than the ideas it stood for.

sphagnum

Banned
I always thought she was white, just a bit tanned. Looking through some of the pictures of the comics she does look white. In some she looks a bit Asian as well.

She's always been pretty explicitly Asian to me.

OlK6597.jpg

jrldUdA.jpg

eGUtcEb.jpg

The artist on the Darth Vader comics does go off model a lot though so I guess I can see how someone could confuse her for white...

edit: Oh wow, this cover is great. Guess I know which variant I'll want...

jWgBujH.jpg

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Just read Shattered Empire IV. I'm basically just gonna spoiler tag the whole question in fact.

So will it in fact be Poe who is sensitive to the force after all? What with that tree from the temple and everything. That would be an amazing twist after all this expecting Rey &or Finn to be the force wielders.

curb

Banned
What episode are they up to now? I still haven't watched any of season 2.

It's just the second episode if you don't count the one they aired months ago.

Just read Shattered Empire IV. I'm basically just gonna spoiler tag the whole question in fact.

So will it in fact be Poe who is sensitive to the force after all? What with that tree from the temple and everything. That would be an amazing twist after all this expecting Rey &or Finn to be the force wielders.

I just finished it and that certainly seems possible. I haven't been up on spoilers but I've wondered if
Finn is actually not Force sensitive and that him being shown with the saber is just a misdirection

Cheebo

Banned
I find it much harder to get hyped for Rebels and often forget to watch it and have to catch up on demand. Which never was the case with Clone Wars for me. Not due to Rebels quality mind you but now with the movies I just find it much harder to get excited about the animated SW now that we getting the real deal.

Question for the community: On RFR's latest podcast, one of the guests mentions that a new canon novel did something very questionable wrt to people knowing that Anakin became Vader. Anyone know what they were talking about?

ghostmind

When are they going to release these "new" Marvel series as hardcovers? So far, all I've seen listed are softcover versions, even for the limited series'.

Hagi

I'm actually surprised myself they aren't doubling up with hardcovers but i guess they want to sell to as many people as possible seeing as it's Star Wars so the cheaper price that paperback affords was the best option for them. We'll definitely get collections at some point though so I'll double dip Darth Vader and the main book next year.

I'm actually surprised myself they aren't doubling up with hardcovers but i guess they want to sell to as many people as possible seeing as it's Star Wars so the cheaper price that paperback affords was the best option for them. We'll definitely get collections at some point though so I'll double dip Darth Vader and the main book next year.

Well, DC did an experiment a couple months back where they released the first volume of the hipster Batgirl series as both hardcover and tpb on the same day, and future volumes seem to be tpb-only. So I guess most people prefer paperback. If it's a single 4-5 issue trade, then I absolutely agree. If I'm buying a hardcover, I'd rather it have 10 issues or more. Otherwise the cover itself takes up too much space in relation to the actual amount of content in the book. Marvel used to release those Premiere hardcovers for everything, and you'd have 8 of them on a shelf with only about half that space being for actual comic.

Hagi

Well, DC did an experiment a couple months back where they released the first volume of the hipster Batgirl series as both hardcover and tpb on the same day, and future volumes seem to be tpb-only. So I guess most people prefer paperback. If it's a single 4-5 issue trade, then I absolutely agree. If I'm buying a hardcover, I'd rather it have 10 issues or more. Otherwise the cover itself takes up too much space in relation to the actual amount of content in the book. Marvel used to release those Premiere hardcovers for everything, and you'd have 8 of them on a shelf with only about half that space being for actual comic.

I think I read Messi say that DC did the same thing with Grayson no? I'd be pretty pissed to buy something in hardcover only for them follow up with paperback with the next release lol

I only buy regular releases hardcover if the paperback isn't out till months after. Image has spoiled me I think with their low entry point for series.

I think I read Messi say that DC did the same thing with Grayson no? I'd be pretty pissed to buy something in hardcover only for them follow up with paperback with the next release lol

They released Grayson Vol.1 in hardcover, but Vol.2 is solicited as tpb-only. So I'm guessing sales didn't warrant continuing in that format. DC has a bad habit of doing this.

Fj0823

Question for the community: On RFR's latest podcast, one of the guests mentions that a new canon novel did something very questionable wrt to people knowing that Anakin became Vader. Anyone know what they were talking about?

Maybe "Tarkin"? Im not much of a novel reader

Also can I mention how weird it is to see Hera all sexed up in the comics? In rebels she looks like an attractive woman with her pilot garbs.

In the comics she suddenly has some HUGE T&A. Authors really have it for Twi'Leks

EDIT: After reading shattered empire #4....Is it me or is some of Anakin's arrogance passed on to Luke? We saw some of it in Jedi. But man, in here he was like "Bitches Please..." the entire fight. Pretty cool

Also, I don't recall the tree at the Temple of Coruscant, is it in a series or a novel?

Top Bottom