• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

I was watching some Return of the Jedi while my daughter napped today (after reading her the ANH Little Golden Book) and something caught my attention. I've seen that movie dozens of times and I just now realized that I have no idea what the actual plan was to free Han. Was their plan, get everyone caught so that Luke can just save the day? Couldn't they have just led with Luke instead of getting Leia and Chewie along with the droids caught first? I don't mean to be picky, it just struck me as odd.

Dont think too much about the first half of jedi, its not great.

I was watching some Return of the Jedi while my daughter napped today (after reading her the ANH Little Golden Book) and something caught my attention. I've seen that movie dozens of times and I just now realized that I have no idea what the actual plan was to free Han. Was their plan, get everyone caught so that Luke can just save the day? Couldn't they have just led with Luke instead of getting Leia and Chewie along with the droids caught first? I don't mean to be picky, it just struck me as odd.

I guess it was maybe a multi-tiered plan? Something like this:

1) Send in 3PO & R2 to negotiate Han's release, but go ahead and store Luke's saber inside R2, in case Plans 1 & 2 don't work. - Likelihood of success? Extremely low.

2) Send in Leia as Boushh with "captured" Chewie, Leia frees Han under the cover of night, then somehow manages to free Chewie, 3PO, and R2 as well? - Likelihood of success? Better, but still not good.

3) Send in the Jedi. - Likelihood of success? He's a Jedi, of course this will work...

curb

Banned
I guess it was maybe a multi-tiered plan? Something like this:

1) Send in 3PO & R2 to negotiate Han's release, but go ahead and store Luke's saber inside R2, in case Plans 1 & 2 don't work. - Likelihood of success? Extremely low.

2) Send in Leia as Boushh with "captured" Chewie, Leia frees Han under the cover of night, then somehow manages to free Chewie, 3PO, and R2 as well? - Likelihood of success? Better, but still not good.

3) Send in the Jedi. - Likelihood of success? He's a Jedi, of course this will work...

Luke's prerecorded message for Jabba has him giving the droids as a gift. That was part of his plan. The rest I can see, maybe. Planning on R2 and 3PO being captured when the rest of the plan may or may not work just seems odd to me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Luke's prerecorded message for Jabba has him giving the droids as a gift. That was part of his plan. The rest I can see, maybe. Planning on R2 and 3PO being captured when the rest of the plan may or may not work just seems odd to me.
Also, R2 has Lukes lightsaber hidden.
Strange plan

curb

Banned
Also, R2 has Lukes lightsaber hidden.
Strange plan

It is. Having the droids in place (well, just R2) could simply be a fall-back plan but I don't get why Luke couldn't just carry his own saber in. There must have been an assumption that he'd be caught. Very strange plan.

I doubt that's the point though. I'm sure Lucas just had these fun ideas for finally showing Jabba's palace, the rancor fight and the sarlacc and just had to figure out how to bring it all in.

Jimbro72

Don't forget Lando was there in disguise the whole time and would have been used to help everyone's escape had Leia not got caught when she did.

Forgot about that. 3PO just thinks it's a negotiation, but then he's surprised by the message from R2 giving them as a gift to Jabba, right?

I dunno. Maybe the point of sending the droids in was so that R2 could scout the location and send info back to Luke & Leia?

curb

Banned
Forgot about that. 3PO just thinks it's a negotiation, but then he's surprised by the message from R2 giving them as a gift to Jabba, right?

I dunno. Maybe the point of sending the droids in was so that R2 could scout the location and send info back to Luke & Leia?

That's seems possible. Nothing in the film indicates either way. That still seems weird though but I don't think the point is to scrutinize the finer details. It's just supposed to be fun.

teeny

What I also want to knew regarding the beginning of Jedi - where did Chewbacca go?

3PO says that "Lando and Chewbacca never returned from this awful place" but Chewie pitches up with Boushh later having been "captured".

Honestly, visually Jabba's palace is pretty cool but it was all a bit naff story wise. I never really liked much of Jedi.

curb

Banned
What I also want to knew regarding the beginning of Jedi - where did Chewbacca go?

3PO says that "Lando and Chewbacca never returned from this awful place" but Chewie pitches up with Boushh later having been "captured".

Honestly, visually Jabba's palace is pretty cool but it was all a bit naff story wise. I never really liked much of Jedi.

I wondered about Chewie too but 3PO could be referring to Tatooine in general even though the immediate context seems to imply Jabba's palace specifically.

Slime

Banned
The Journey to TFA book 'Moving Target' teased the Han rescue a bit.

Luke tells Leia that Lando and Chewie have been searching for Han, and find that he's been delivered to Jabba by Fett. Leia gets Mon Mothma's permission to rescue Han after she completes her mission. At the end of the book, Luke tells Leia that he has a plan, but it never explores the specifics.

I bet the post-TESB arc of the main Star Wars comic will explore the rescue.

Toxi

Banned
Nien-Nunb.gif

RETURN OF THE KING

I always assumed they were trying to stack a proper rescue party in Jabba's Palace without getting any of their people killed. To do that, they'd need to infiltrate in the way that's least likely to arouse intense suspicion. Hence, the weirdly staged/phased events.

3PO clearly has no idea what's going on. He probably thinks Chewie is with Lando staging some part of the rescue operation, but instead he's getting "captured" by Boushh.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They left C3PO most likely misinformed because they thought if they look into the memory of one of the droids, it would be C3PO, because of his purposd.
I mean, why check a droid who only maintenaces spaceships. Also, they had to kept R2 informed, because he hid Lukes Lightsaber.

Sayers

I always assumed they were trying to stack a proper rescue party in Jabba's Palace without getting any of their people killed. To do that, they'd need to infiltrate in the way that's least likely to arouse intense suspicion. Hence, the weirdly staged/phased events.

Except Leia was not supposed to get caught. Which begs the question as to why they sent R2 and 3PO at all and how they planned to get them back out.

Except Leia was not supposed to get caught. Which begs the question as to why they sent R2 and 3PO at all and how they planned to get them back out.

I'm not so sure; the entire sail barge sequence seemed incredibly scripted on Luke's part, complete with R2-D2 recognizing he needed to get into position. I think he definitely expected to have to intervene, and probably also that Jabba would prefer to execute them in some dramatic fashion than kick off a fight in his palace. Hell, he might have known all along about Jabba's fascination with throwing people in pits and intended to exploit that very scenario.

Okay, its not that complicated.

Plant Lando as a hidden asset for plan A. (And Plan B, hes basically the jail break card). Send R2 as a hidden asset for plan B, a weapon stash cause he doesnt know how far hell get before being searched or captured. C3PO is just used to get R2 in, otherwise hes basically worthless.

Plan B tecnically starts first with the hologram offer, but its just setting up a diplomatic relationship that wont matter until later.

Plan A: Leia gets in and saves Han, Lando sneaks them all out. This failed. Had it not, Luke might not of had to do anything, or he could have just assisted in them sneaking everyone out. Create a diversion perhaps. Doesnt matter though.

Plan B: Luke comes in for some good old jedi aggressive negotiation to free everyone. Bluff, bargin, force persuasion, theaten, etc. This also failed because the rancor trap was unexpected.

Plan C: Retreive lightsaber and kick butt. Success.

Metalmarc

I want to go see F.A on midnight of the 16th or technically 12am Thursday 17th here in the U.K

My girlfriend (who hates Star Wars but is coming to see it) on the other hand said to me /reminded me

On the 16th

i have to be up 6am for work until 4:30pm, then travel home from work, then out to a gig we have tickets for at 7pm, which finishes at 10:30pm-10:45pm, then a hour travel home which would get me home just minutes before the midnight premier of Star Wars The Force Awakens.

So i have to compromise by seeing it once at 2:20pm on the 17th December.....

It's also showing 5:30pm and 8:40pm on the 17th, man i'd love to see all four showings on Day one

Anyone planning a midnight showing/multiple showings on day one?

I want to go see F.A on midnight of the 16th or technically 12am Thursday 17th here in the U.K

My girlfriend (who hates Star Wars but is coming to see it) on the other hand said to me /reminded me

On the 16th

i have to be up 6am for work until 4:30pm, then travel home from work, then out to a gig we have tickets for at 7pm, which finishes at 10:30pm-10:45pm, then a hour travel home which would get me home just minutes before the midnight premier of Star Wars The Force Awakens.

It's also showing 5:30pm and 8:40pm on the 17th, man i'd love to see all four showings on Day one

Nope! Im seeing it sunday because if im gonna drag my gf along with me the least I could do is wait until she has a day off. I just have to go on an internet blackout for 3 days, im not worried! I can wait. Totally. No problem. Lemon squeezey.

*figits and twitches in barely contained anxiety*

Sayers

No one has any fucking manners anymore so I find that the movie theater experience has become intolerable. As much as I want to see the movie, I will probably wait several weeks and go see it at the Drafthouse.

On the 16th

I'm going on the 17th and I expect I'll go again at the weekend. There's so many showings I don't think it'll be that busy.

My wife and I got tickets to a 3D FakeMAX viewing on the 18th at 4pm.

To avoid spoilers though, I figure I'll have to disconnect from the internet completely by Dec 13th or so?

Maybe that's too late.

Cheebo

Banned
No one has any fucking manners anymore so I find that the movie theater experience has become intolerable. As much as I want to see the movie, I will probably wait several weeks and go see it at the Drafthouse.

This makes no sense for a movie like this. If you are seeing this opening night it is full of people who are beyond hyped for this not random moviegoers. They are going to keep their mouth shut and watch the movie.

Tedesco!

Makes no sense if you are going to see it at the Drafthouse. They are fantastic when it comes to how people act in the theater.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
About to start Lost Stars. I know I'm LTTP, and this came our before Aftermath. Yet I read that first.

Will report back. :p

I really, really tried to make it through Aftermath. In the end there was just a bit too much, I dunno, junk, in the way for me to really want to finish it.

Lost Stars is decent to good. It was cool to see how characters (mid to late book spoilers)
deal with the destruction of Alderaan, and how well equipped the Rebels were.

This makes no sense for a movie like this. If you are seeing this opening night it is full of people who are beyond hyped for this not random moviegoers. They are going to keep their mouth shut and watch the movie.

I'm personally expecting a Marvel-level experience in December, aka tons of cheering at fan service, referential stuff, and big character moments, of which there'll probably be a decent amount of in TFA. It's not something that's bothered me in the past, but with it in mind, I can see where Sayers is coming from.

In any case, it's folly to be confident that movie-goers will be stone cold silent on opening weekend.

Sayers

I'm personally expecting a Marvel-level experience in December, aka tons of cheering at fan service, referential stuff, and big character moments, of which there'll probably be a decent amount of in TFA. It's not something that's bothered me in the past, but with it in mind, I can see where Sayers is coming from.

In any case, it's folly to be confident that movie-goers will be stone cold silent on opening weekend.

I'm not talking about the people who are excited to be there and love Star Wars. That's fine. I'm talking about the people that bring their kids and then don't make them behave. The people who feel the need to text and tweet throughout the movie. Those are the people I can't stand.

Pls no more fan service

prequels were all fan service

JimiNutz

Banned

On the 16th

I'm doing a midnight showing on 16th. I return to the UK from 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic at 10am on the 16th so I'll be going home, taking a nap, and then heading straight to the cinema. I've got work next morning at 9am but fuck it, its Star Wars baby.

I'm then seeing it again at the BFI Imax on Boxing Day.

Top Bottom