• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Meowster

I've never watched the clone wars or rebels cartoon

would people recommend them?
The Clone Wars is a great experience that really lifts up the prequels (namely ROTS) and gives them so much needed backstory and character development. It kinda became really hard for me to watch the Order 66 segment after watching it. You really learn more about the Jedi Order and their masters/apprentices. It's tragic in a good way.

I've never watched the clone wars or rebels cartoon

would people recommend them?

FYI, although there are throwbacks to the Clone Wars series, it'll be much easier to start with Rebels, as you'll have less than 20 episodes to get through before you're caught up. Clone Wars, on the other hand, has 121 episodes...

BFIB

The Clone Wars is a great experience that really lifts up the prequels (namely ROTS) and gives them so much needed backstory and character development. It kinda became really hard for me to watch the Order 66 segment after watching it. You really learn more about the Jedi Order and their masters/apprentices. It's tragic in a good way.

This right here. The Clone Wars series brings life to the clones themselves, and goes into some great insight on their development as separate people, rather than just an "army for the Republic".

Plus you get a lot more insight to why Anakin starts to distrust the Jedi near the end. Its all really well written, especially the end of season 5. Well worth a watch.

If you don't want to go through the entire series, there are different "arcs" that all kind of intersect, I'm sure a Gaffer has the chart that you can use if you want to narrow down what you want to watch over the 6 seasons.

curb

Banned
I never recommend skipping episodes but there are "essential" episode guides for Clone Wars. For a first time viewing, you could skip through some of the first couple seasons and then watch all/most of season three and then all of the rest.

Sayers

FYI, although there are throwbacks to the Clone Wars series, it'll be much easier to start with Rebels, as you'll have less than 20 episodes to get through before you're caught up. Clone Wars, on the other hand, has 121 episodes...

Could not disagree more. Watching Rebels first will remove a lot of the tension and impact of Clone Wars.

Watch the Clone Wars Lashley. It is a fantastic show. It starts a little rough (the movie especially) but the later seasons stand among the best Star Wars has ever been.

Ezra is actually one day older than Luke, which means he'd be in his 60s by TFA if he even survives until then. That was established in the first season when they say he was born on "Empire Day". The twins were born the next day.
I think he would as be 53. 19 better revenge (Empire Day) and a new Hope, 4 between a new Hope and Jedi, then 30 between Jedi and the force awakens.

Could not disagree more. Watching Rebels first will remove a lot of the tension and impact of Clone Wars.

Watch the Clone Wars Lashley. It is a fantastic show. It starts a little rough (the movie especially) but the later seasons stand among the best Star Wars has ever been.

What tension and impact is there when the outcome is clearly spelled out by the movies anyway? I mean, I guess if a person hasn't ever seen the movies that might make sense, but I'd guess most people who are interested in the TV shows would have already.

Sayers

What tension and impact is there when the outcome is clearly spelled out by the movies anyway? I mean, I guess if a person hasn't ever seen the movies that might make sense, but I'd guess most people who are interested in the TV shows would have already.

I'm talking about Ahsoka and the clones

I'm talking about Ahsoka and the clones

Ah, okay. Guess that all depends on the individual's exposure to general Star Wars news, since the whole
Ahsoka Lives!
thing was somewhat big. And there's an
action figure of her on store shelves now too.
So the cat's out of the bag, as it were.

curb

Banned
Ah, okay. Guess that all depends on the individual's exposure to general Star Wars news, since the whole
Ahsoka Lives!

Someone who hasn't watched either shows seem likely to not be tuned into all that though.

Sayers

Ahsoka Lives!

True its not exactly hidden but I still think it is more fun and meaningful to see it chronologically. And hell, we in this thread still confine discussion about Season 5 of TCW to spoiler tags.

curb

Banned
Thanks.

I'll likely watch every episode of each, always have time to fill, so why not.

Try and stay with Clone Wars until the later seasons. As others have said, season 1 and 2 are uneven and nowhere near as good as the series eventually gets.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Try and stay with Clone Wars until the later seasons. As others have said, season 1 and 2 are uneven and nowhere near as good as the series eventually gets.

I will. Hell, it'll be good to have something to watch before bed.

Sayers

I really think people undersell Seasons 1 and 2. I think the Geonosis arc, the stolen Holocron arc and the Mandalore arc are all pretty great.

curb

Banned
I really think people undersell Seasons 1 and 2. I think the Geonosis arc, the stolen Holocron arc and the Mandalore arc are all pretty great.

There are definitely high points. I just think those two seasons aren't as good as the others overall.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wait, it says:

"Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano must rescue the kidnapped son of Jabba the Hutt, but political intrigue complicates their mission."

But the first three episodes I have watched center around General Grievous and the Ion Cannon.

Toxi

Banned
Wait, it says:

"Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano must rescue the kidnapped son of Jabba the Hutt, but political intrigue complicates their mission."

But the first three episodes I have watched center around General Grievous and the Ion Cannon.
That's because you didn't watch the movie and are instead watching the Malevolence arc of the cartoon.

Which is good. Ignore the movie. Please ignore it.

Fj0823

Wait, it says:

watch the movie to know how anakin and ahsoka met. After they leave the first planet stop watching and resume the series.

BFIB

Wait, it says:

Skip the movie. It makes the Holiday Special Oscar material in comparison.

I watched most of the movie and sadly it turned me off from wanting to watch Clone Wars. From what I've heard over the years, and what you guys have posted, it actually gets good as the seasons go on so it's in my backlog now.

I just kinda wish I gave it a chance after the movie so I could've followed it along with everyone else.

Sayers

This is a really good point and one we don't talk about a lot. Usually when discussing the Clone Wars' impact on the movies we are talking about how it provides context for Anakin's fall to the Dark Side. But I remember seeing ROTS for the first time and feeling absolutely nothing during the Order 66 scenes. I had no attachment to any of the characters being killed on screen. I think Mundi was the only one that even had a single speaking line in the movies. But after TCW, watching Aayla get gunned down and Plo Koon shot out of the sky by clones who have names, its heartbreaking.

Gravidee

I watched most of the movie and sadly it turned me off from wanting to watch Clone Wars. From what I've heard over the years, and what you guys have posted, it actually gets good as the seasons go on so it's in my backlog now.

I just kinda wish I gave it a chance after the movie so I could've followed it along with everyone else.

You can start by watching this trailer that shows snippets throughout the seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06S3f_dGPdY

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Finished Lost Stars

Man I was hooked by the end. The feels for how shit went down in the final 3rd of the book is sooo legit.

Started the Battlefront novel after I finished Lost Stars. So far I'm not feeling it. It just feels generic, and it doesn't really feel like it's set in the SW universe.

Lost Stars was head and shoulders above Awakening, but Awakening at least felt like a SW novel. So far this just feels generic and honestly kinda boring.

Character posters for those who haven't seen them!

HanSoloTFA.0.jpg

LeiaTFA.0.jpg

ReyTFA.0.jpg

FinnTFA.0.jpg

KyloRenTFA.0.jpg

Meowster

It's a shame that the PT had such awesome villain designs and motifs and just.. wasted them. Maul, Dooku, and Grevious are all amazing concepts but were played as less than pawns by Lucas. I'm glad the Clone Wars gave all three more to do. Hope we get to see some great names appear with this new trilogy and the movies beyond. We need a great villain that can live up to Vader and the Emperor.

So glad they were able to screen an early copy of the film for that terminally ill fella. Very sad the cirucmstances, but glad he was able to get his wish.

curb

Banned
WOOOOO
that Rey/Kylo Ren scene

I know! I wish I hadn't seen it but that image popped up in my Twitter feed so it was unavoidable for me. I watched the trailer once but that's it. I need to get more into media blackout mode now.

Top Bottom