• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws director agrees the early instant-fail stealth missions are "incredibly punishing," patch coming in about 10 days

Shaki12345

Neo Member
Apparently it's very hard to just make a decent game out of the gate. All these Ubisoft open world games are built from the same Ubisoft template. This is Watch Dogs with a Star Wars skin.

The lead character with the Chernobyl face isn't even it's biggest issue. Go figure.

Is the instant fail a particular mission affecting bug or part of the whole easy stealth mechanic issue?
It's not a bug, some missions have a "do not get caught" objective, because you're in hostile territory and aren't allowed to start a firefight, because they also tend to be public/civilian territory, so since you can't fight back in an encounter, you can't get caught either.
Often when you move away from the public/civ area and deeper into criminal/imperial territory, you're allowed to fight back, often with just a "do not raise the alarm" objective, or even no restrictions at all.
These areas tend to be "harder" earlier on because you lack a bunch of stealth upgrades; I haven't been caught once, but with those extra upgrades you become a ninja like ghost that can infiltrate anything without much effort.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
They'll never fix her ugly ass face because that would mean that they were wrong for intentionally making her look that way, so i wouldn't hold out any hope for that happening.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This game screams “come back in 12-18 months”, when they’ve patched out all the bugs, addressed user complaints and implemented QoL updates, when all the inevitable expansions/dlc are out, and the price has dropped.

Yep, It's a game released in the 2020s alright.

How about the second weapon dropping when you want to keep it? I wonder if they will fix that.
C4uFypu.gif

Nothing to "fix", they'll never let you keep these OP weapons.

dorkimoe

Just let me go guns blazing in all the stealth segments and I’ll play the game. Y’all are shit at making stealth gameplay, so just don’t make stealth gameplay. Why do so many devs refuse to accept this?
Honestly, one of my biggest pet peeves is stealth in games not designed for stealth, they rarely work

Mephisto40

I'm guessing they have had some metrics sent to them showing how many people have just stopped playing the game when they reach these missions, it's the only reason a knee jerk reaction like this would emerge

LordCBH

Honestly, one of my biggest pet peeves is stealth in games not designed for stealth, they rarely work

100%. If they came out and said “we’re making a stealth Star Wars game and trying to model the stealth mechanics on the great stealth games of the past” I’d be pretty excited.

Shaki12345

Neo Member
100%. If they came out and said “we’re making a stealth Star Wars game and trying to model the stealth mechanics on the great stealth games of the past” I’d be pretty excited.
This game was modeled on the very great and amazing "stealth" game WatchDogs. Don't you remember how everyone played that game instead of the lazy GTA 5?

mdkirby

Yep, It's a game released in the 2020s alright.
Well, AAA game anyhow, indies and AA have generally been a bit better, even many of those tho have dlc/expansions that launch a year later, so you won’t be getting the “complete experience” unless you wait. Like you can go back a year later, but by then you only half remember the story, and are rusty on the mechanics. It’s playing it in bursts like that spread out over such long periods isn’t the ideal way to play…unless each is very self contained. I’ve quite liked the way dredge handled their latest expansion, that felt nice to revisit the game a bit later and I didn’t feel I missed out on anything by not playing the whole thing at once.

Cyberpunk is the worst, where their expansion overhauls main game systems, and where the expansion is best experienced threaded through the main campaign…meaning it wants you to restart a 200hr game…which unless your a kid/student few people have time to do.

GymWolf

Gold Member
is this really too hard or are people just whining like always ?
Half and half, the stealth is very simple, but many times is just buggy and unreliable and has so many dumb game design choices so you get caught even if it's not your fault.

If it was perfectly functional, it would be piss easy because you have a very op tool (the space rat) and the ia is dumb as fuck.

is this really too hard or are people just whining like always ?
the mistake was front-loading the game with the missions, not the missions themselves. & simplistic descriptions of mechanics didn't help, either...

i mean, hell, i managed to somehow survive it. how friggin' punishing can it be?...

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I guess you could call it "punishing" but it's not hard punishing it's stupid, lazy, and annoying punishing.. To me hard punishing is fighting an enemy where you need to memorize attack patterns and master when to parry. Or figuring out a mind bending puzzle. This is just annoying and tedious. And not allowing you to fight your way out of a situation and forcing you to do stealth when the stealth mechanics suck is just lame.

I quit the game because it had too many things in it I hated. If they fix this and a bunch of other things I'll definitely consider picking it up again. But not until then.

Mossybrew

I have grown to hate "stealth" in general in games and if your game has instafail stealth sections you can fuck off, period. This mechanic belongs in the graveyard of old stale videogame tropes that have no place in modern gaming.

Last edited:

hinch7

Gameover on stealth uncover is such lazy game design. Hope more game designers shy away from that.

Not possible, there's no other lighting, disabling RT on PC makes everything unlit.
Kind of interesting to see devs basically giving up on traditional raster already, even though the current consoles have non-existent RT performance thanks to AMD great RT. We saw it in Wukong and now here.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Skill issue

Or dummies just arent using Nix whatsoever. Nix practically breaks that game even before you're kitted out to handle the stealth sequences.

CashPrizes

I was having a problem in the Pyke district on the first main planet early on, but only because I had no clue where to go. I would take out 5-6 guards, and then get caught. The district is fairly small, and I thought I had to take out the pairs of guards at two different doors to progress.

Turns out there was a Grated wall I could climb, but it was barely highlighted even tho I had those colored prompts on. I don't need the climbable surfaces and wall hangs to pulse and glow or anything, but they definitely need to be more distinct then they are. I had another puzzle room where I was trying to make a crazy jump for 10 minutes because I could not tell a wall in the distance was climbable.

The other "auto-fail" stealths have not been that bad. Imperial space station was easy. There was an imperial garrison where I had to like 5x try to take these dudes out on a ladder above me, I would send nix to distract/attack 1 guard but his buddy would always spot me when climbing up. The solution was to Nyx one, and stun shot the other, which is basically what you have to do for all pairs.

Top Bottom