• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws has sold around 800,000 copies according to Games Industry

Draugoth

Gold Member
EGST_StoreLandscape_2560x1440_2560x1440-e7beda03979167bed00fb2c73bb7998a

Shared on the gamesindustry.biz podcast, it was estimated through their insider data that Star wars outlaws sold an estimated 800k copies throughout the month of august Take into account the game came out on August 30th.

41:35 mark

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

That would be awful if true as it will be frontloaded and the word of mouth seems poor.

For context people are calling FF7 Rebirth a bomb which is probably in the region of 3-4million sold now. But with that they have no licencing fee's as the IP is owned and there will likely be a lot of merchandise sales (soundtrack, concerts etc...), sales of part 1 and positive word of mouth.

Also to consider with that it's a PS5 exclusive thus far and they have the Sony deal and 1 platform dev costs vs PS5, Xbox Series S, X and PC for Star Wars Outlaws 4 platform dev costs.

So unless this goes on to sell a shit ton more I can only imagine it's a big financial hit for Ubi because getting the Star Wars licencing and making this game with Western dev costs and a big marketing budget and we're looking at a huge amount of $$$.

☠️

Last edited:
What do games released that close to the end of a month typically do? Doesn't seem like there are many games above it on Amazon for the year.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Disney killed the Soy Wars brand + lacks a compelling hero (imagine if you played as Han Solo instead of.... that) + good but not great reviews = total bomba

Especially the first one. I am not sure people, especially older people, understand how dead this franchise this.

Last edited:

pulicat

Neo Member
So around 5 days worth of sales data including early access.

For comparison ( Sell through numbers )
Black Myth Wukong - 10m in 3 days
Zelda TOTK - 10m in 3 days
Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - 10m in 3 days
Hogwarts legacy - 12m in 2 weeks
Elden ring - 12m in 3 weeks
Gow Ragnarok - 5.1m in 5 days
Spiderman 2 - 5m in 10 days
TLOU part 2 - 4m in 3 days

Star wars outlaws - 800k in 5 days

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It's not worthy of more IMO. I think the game is pretty mediocre. And that's me being objective, for my personal tastes I hate the game and find it infuriating and endlessly frustrating to play. It's just not very good. Some games had poor sales that I thought were good like Immortals of Aveum. This isn't one of those games.

Last edited:

Hustler

This could've done big numbers if they changed a few things about the game and ramped up the quality of the game. The pre-release WOM was really bad and the preview videos with all the bugs didn't help.

Bojji

That's tragic number for game that costed this much. I'm playing it on Ubisoft sub on PC (bought one month) so I'm part of the problem, haha.

This game is much better than I expected (based on "general consensus" and reviews) so it's kinda sad. It has much more soul and personality than most recent Ubisoft games, I bet this shit AC Shadows is gonna sell millions...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Space Marine 2 surpassed 2 million the day after launch.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I think this game will sell decently during the holiday season, especially when it will already be discounted to 40 bucks.

buenoblue

Yeah I can imagine this had a big impact on sales tbh
Why pay £100 when you can pay £15 for the month to play and finish it and get the same ultimate edition?
Ubi shot themselves in the foot with how they handle Ubi +.
I played outlaws, the Avatar dlc and half of mirage( before I got bored) in a month.
Winning 😂

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Thats really bad.

Sucks because the game is not that bad.

StereoVsn

Well i was wrong, i thought the sw license was still strong enough to cover a mediocre game but alas...
Yeah, I thought it would sell ok, but not great. This is only 2 days but 800K for AAAa 😉 title seems very low, especially Star Wars with its giant licensing fees.

I said this in the middle of Aug in the Star Wars Outlaws PC Gameplay thread so seems he was right
Yeah, and it makes sense since the game just doesn’t look very appealing.

Because what SW fans wanted to see was mandatory stealth sections fails and “ We have a Han Solo at home” MC…

Edit: Also Ubisoft is continuing their dumb as shit “No Steam” policy. Which basically completely tanks Steam sales. I do not believe their Ubi+ service outweighs that. Especially when most folks use it for a month to play through a game and then drop.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Yeah I can imagine this had a big impact on sales tbh
Why pay £100 when you can pay £15 for the month to play and finish it and get the same ultimate edition?
Ubi shot themselves in the foot with how they handle Ubi +.

Ubisoft putting their biggest games day 1 on their subscription service was a braindead decision.

rm082e

The guy who said this on the podcast said "Xbox and PlayStation", so it sounds like that's not counting PC? I can't imagine they sold a bunch of copies on PC given it's on Epic Games Store and Ubisoft client, but not Steam...

Top Bottom