• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws has sold around 800,000 copies according to Games Industry

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm convinced they hate women.
at least naoe looks decent

naoe-from-assassin-s-creed-shadows-dirty-and-bloody-sat-on-the-floor.jpg

Saber

That numbers seems very underwelming for a big franchise as Star Wars. The price for using the IP must be huge as well, guessing they are already with losses.

stn

I'm planning to buy it eventually but I'm not in a rush. Compared to the recent Jedi games, it hasn't scored as high and nothing about it makes me want to pay full price. Even though Star Wars is a big name, some of its properties haven't been doing well due to average reviews (ex. Acolyte). Either way, I have it on my Amazon wishlist and will wait for a massive price drop.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I don’t blame the game completely.

If this game released ten years ago, it would have sold a ton more. Star Wars as whole seems to be on the downtrend. I don’t doubt for a second it affected the reception this game got.
I was just thinking the same thing. This would’ve been a massive hit if it released back before people were sick of Ubisoft and sick of Disney’s Star Wars. It probably seemed like a no brainer cash cow back when they gave it the green light.

Oh well, sucks to be them!

Danny22

Neo Member
So almost a million in a couple of days plus pre-orders. That's dissapointing, not disastrous, but still pretty dissapointing.
Add in the big disney tax, and we'll soon know the negative adjective Yves uses for this at the next shareholder meeting.

Regardless, I'm fully expecting their AC:Shadows to become a big hit so none of this will really matter too much in the long run.

Last edited:

Gp1

Imagine having one of the richest universe's in the entire entertainment business at your disposal + a game structure that you rinse and repeat for the last 10 years and you still fuck up the end product.

If Ass Creed Afro Samurai fails too, Ubi stocks will go into a wild ride next year.

Last edited:

tkscz

Almost a million in two days? That's great! It has done well since. Fuck right off.
You're looking at it as an outsider and not a company. Ubisoft's expectation for a game with Star Wars in the title was probably around 4 o 5 million in the five days. The fact that it couldn't pull that means it's well below their expectation which is bad. Unfortunate fact is majority of games don't have the legs they used to. Not every game is a GTA or Mario Kart where the game continues to sell copies over the years, most games legs end in the first two months, after that, the hope is sales on the game will help push units, but they won't make their money back doing that. Most likely the license alone cost them tens of millions of dollars, with the game development, marketing, production and cost for digital stores, this game probably cost Ubisoft $200 million or more. 800,000 units in that first week is bad for the company, especially when it needs to sale about 10 million units at original price.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That’s a female? Kinda hard to tell in that photo to be honest. The clothing doesn’t help, looks like something a guy would wear.
I think still frame images hurt her, she looks better in motion, not top model tier but decent.

I mean. It's ubisoft, don't expect to see any skin or hint of sexuality from her.

NickFire

That IP isn't cheap to use. I'm guessing that they need a ton of holiday sales just to make this a disappointment instead of a disaster.

I also find it rather unlikely that Ubisoft game structure fatigue is the main issue here, or anywhere close to the main issue. Every single year the list of top selling games includes at least a handful of games that are either old, or sequels, and/or "current year version" of existing sports franchises.

simpatico

8,000,000 was the estimate that they gave to investors. I don’t think Ubi can exist in 2026 as a publicly traded company. They either get bought or go private and shed 60% of the business (at least)

Star Wars as an IP has lost a tremendous amount of value too. It used to be 24kt gold. Now it’s almost a sign of low quality to a lot of people who in the past spent a lot of money on the brand.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

You want your game to maximise sales at its highest launch or pre-order / *SPIT* early access prices.

Ubisoft is not known for launching polished games. You wait and quickly their prices go down. They offer a (currently) cheaper subscription if you don’t care to keep the game longer term, or buy once it’s dirt cheap.

SPOT THE ERROR in Ubisoft’s sales logic.

I was told on good authority that people will buy anything with star wars slapped on it regardless of quality. Anything with star wars is guaranteed to have incredibly high sales. That's an internet fact and not in debate.

Have I been lied to?

tkscz

Star Wars IP is dead as shit now. Can’t imagine any studio spending money to license this now.
You have to remember, we as people outside of these companies know that. Executives are always behind on what people do or don't like so to them Star Wars is still gold, they aren't keeping up with the lack of viewership of the shows, or the dismal sales of Star Wars merch. Plus this game was probably in development back in 2020 when The Mandolorian was still in season 1. At this point, I can't see too many companies wanting to start work on a new Star Wars game.

I was told on good authority that people will buy anything with star wars slapped on it regardless of quality. Anything with star wars is guaranteed to have incredibly high sales. That's an internet fact and not in debate.

Have I been lied to?

Disney has slowly but surely killed the faith people had in Star Wars. By releasing constant subpar content year after year with only a rare diamond in the rough every now and again and even then killing that over time too (The mandolorian season 3 is not very well liked). Merchandise sales have plummeted to the point that even Walmart carries very few Star Wars toys. The franchise needs a break, those long empty years of nothing but toys, games, and books are what kept Star Wars going for so long.

Last edited:

phant0m

I know it's GAF's latest favorite game to clown on but why would it sell copies? Yves said to subscribe, not buy.

It's what I did and honestly despite some of its issues with the stealth mechanics has been one of my favorite games this year. Massive puts on an absolute master class of atmosphere & world design.

Probably get it wrapped up next week and cancel my sub. Banger of a game for $15.

Pretty bad for a Star Wars branded product I assume.

Maybe people finally do get tired of the ‘open world formula with a different skin’.

It really isn't though, it doesn't follow the AC or Far Cry formula outside of being open world. There are no towers to expose icons, and bringing up the map doesn't cause immediate POI fatigue. You also don't really complete a series of missions/questline for specific individuals then move on - you move between all 4 worlds pretty regularly. I'm 18h in and still return to Toshara to complete contracts or raid treasure stashes.

Last edited:

Kotaro

For reference, Hasbro pay Disney 20% per Star Wars toy sold for licensing, there's a lot of details, but that's a ballpark figure

Video game may be less, but 13-15% is a possibility.

Then Sony and MS take 30%

So Ubisoft have to sell a lot of units for this game

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
For reference, Hasbro pay Disney 20% per Star Wars toy sold for licensing, there's a lot of details, but that's a ballpark figure

Don't forget it had the "biggest marketing campaign ever" https://www.thegamer.com/star-wars-outlaws-ubisoft-marketing-money-expecting-strong-sales/

Ubisoft are going to be rather out of pocket if this didn't pick up after these initial reports.

Kacho

800k in a few days. Anyone know how that compares to a typical ass creed game?
I don't think we have actual numbers, but AssCreed is a juggernaut sales wise. Not sure how reliable this is but treat it as a ballpark for comparisons sake.

SuperData has shared its monthly report, stating that Assassin’s Creed Valhalla sold 1.7 million copies at launch. According to SuperData, this is 50% more than Assassin’s Creed Odyssey at launch. However, and despite these sales numbers, in-game revenue was down 62%. This may may explain why Ubisoft added an XP booster into the game.

This falls in line with what Ubisoft has already stated about the game’s launch. According to Ubi, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla had twice the number of active players than Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. Moreover, Valhalla was Ubisoft’s top-selling PC launch ever.

They were probably hoping this hits 10-15 million lifetime and that won't happen, even with deep sales. There is a total lack of interest for whatever reason.

Last edited:

NickFire

Have I been lied to?
Not at all. There are countless games that could never come close to 800k sales in the first week.

Now, was that a real question, or just a dig at the people who have been predicting underperformance after underperformance with almost crystal ball like accuracy? If it was the latter, well, it's a rather weak dig.

Laptop1991

well, if we want games to improve then we want these type of sales failures, and i'm including AC Shadow reported pre sales info too, otherwise the game industry will just keep churning out these bland mediocre games, that's if they realize and listen of course.

Certinty

I don’t even know if i’m surprised or not.

Like yes, it’s Star Wars but the brand isn’t what it used to be and it seems even big Star Wars fans didn’t care about this at all whilst most did with the latest SWBF1 and 2.

Nydius

Put it on gamepass and I MIGHT play it for a dollar

Probably not

I subbed to Ubisoft+ for a month (so I'm part of the reason it didn't sell :LOL:) and, for $17.99, I felt I got my money's worth. I paid $10-$15 for much smaller, sometimes worse, games back in the Xbox Live Arcade days. I don't think I'd recommend buying it for more than $20 though, so a typical Ubisoft "wait for deep sale" type game.

Which, also, is a major reason why Ubisoft is in the financial shit. They've become a "wait for deep sale" game publisher.

hinch7

I don’t even know if i’m surprised or not.

Like yes, it’s Star Wars but the brand isn’t what it used to be and it seems even big Star Wars fans didn’t care about this at all whilst most did with the latest SWBF1 and 2.
Star Wars interest is at a near all time low with terrible movies and TV shows. Ubisoft doesn't help itself with its development decisions and marketing. Put two together and its a disaster in the making.

I'd imagine AC getting a similar treatment but at least that franchise has some fanbase to fall back on.

Thabass

Yeah I can imagine this had a big impact on sales tbh
Why pay £100 when you can pay £15 for the month to play and finish it and get the same ultimate edition?
Ubi shot themselves in the foot with how they handle Ubi +.
I did the Ubisoft+ method because I wanted to try the game and while I did enjoy it, technical issues caused me to uninstall it since it crashed every 20 minutes for me, and this was post-patches AND driver updates. A shame, because I was quite enjoying the game.

I don't think UBI+ affected their AC games sales much, but it feels like more people are catching on to just sub for a month; perhaps UBI+ was a misstep for them since they don't really have a high volume of release output.

Kacho

I did the Ubisoft+ method because I wanted to try the game and while I did enjoy it, technical issues caused me to uninstall it since it crashed every 20 minutes for me, and this was post-patches AND driver updates. A shame, because I was quite enjoying the game.
I had that issue with Valhalla. Was the game installed on your primary drive where Uplay is installed?

TheChumpNation

Neo Member
Wasn't this game the recipient of more marketing outlay than Ubisoft have ever done before?

Anyway, mediocre game does mediocre numbers. Nature is healing.

Top Bottom