• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws: Player can't steal NPC's vehicles... and can't attack non-enemy NPC too

Draugoth

Gold Member
Star Wars Outlaws won't be a space GTA because of the limited freedom. According to the youtuber, the civilian NPCs are like creatures that offer no danger, meaning that the player won't have this kind of violent interaction with them.

- You can’t steal vehicles from friendly civilians (they’re unkillable, just like harmless creatures you find in the open world)

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Didn't really expect to be able to kill. Did anyone expect this to be GTA? I'm pretty sure you got game over after killing many NPCs in the PS1 Phantom Menace game.

Last edited:

Saber

I can at least understand some brain damaged people being offended by hurting other npcs, but not stealing vehicles? Why the fuck even call this game outlaw? Let her sell cookies and help elder to cross the street then.

Nankatsu

Game be like:

8zv2n3.jpg

Saber

You got game over in the old Assassin's Creed games if you killed more than few normal NPCs. Not sure about the new ones

Killing a certain amount of npcs on Farcry also gets you killed(it gives you a warning on the first ones). But it does no block you in anyway from killing them and also does not block players from stealing vehicles.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Star Wars Outlaws won't be a space GTA because of the limited freedom. According to the youtuber, the civilian NPCs are like creatures that offer no danger, meaning that the player won't have this kind of violent interaction with them.

Umta madre..

that's what I wanted... It's like Assassins creed that you get penalized for killing someone.

What a disappointment... I was going to buy the game.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Who thought it would allow this?

I don't really know of many games that are fully really like GTA in terms of freedom/"simulation" except Just Cause, Mafia and... True Crime? Even some of them don't really let you run free, you will die quite quickly if you act like a loon outside JC.

I don't see any issue with this...
I know it's a easy, obvious-to-the-point-of-not-being-funny dunk to point out the "inconsistency" with the title of the game.

But yeah, it's fine.

Based on the trailers, that protagonist (her personality, I mean), and "violent interactions" aren't things I see mixing well.

And when I think of Star Wars, inoffensive entertainment for the lowest common denominator imaginable, the last thing I think about is "Be like GTA".

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

This about does it. We need a new Gungan murder simulator to offset this horrible crime to the gaming community that is Star Wars Outlaws!

I think game looks pretty fun. I especially like the space combat. But it’s also a game I don’t need to play anytime soon. So wake me up when it’s in the $20 bargain bin.

StueyDuck

So basically Jak 2... a ps2 game.

We've really stepped into a new era.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Even other Ubisoft games let you kill NPC's and steal vehicles.
? well this isn't a Ubisoft game, this is a game Ubisoft was contracted to make, the Star Wars IP is owned by Disney. Its why in Battlefront you didn't see the level of violence that you saw in Battlefield IP, it didn't matter that it was EA, it didn't matter that it was DICE, it mattered that the Star Wars IP was owned by Disney and they set their rules on what they want or don't want in it.
Nonsensical, as everything related to this game.
Well, not really. This makes sense for what Disney wants with the IP, Star Wars has never been on a level of violence like a Alien, Terminator or Judge Dredd or something, it was more like PG-13 type thing where Han Solo is like a friendly thief, not like a hardcore criminal lol

So I'm not shocked, it would be surprising if they even gave some ok to use the IP like this, like having anyone get killed lol
Goalpost moving like people did with Cyberpunk.

If an open world game doesn’t let you do everything GTA does you throw a fit online.
Nah, in Cyberpunk I'd argue that was more expected cause of many obvious reasons.

1. CDPR own the IP, it wasn't like some Disney License about Captain Hook
2. Their trailers show you being chased by cops in car and shooting at them.
3. They tell you the world has corrupt cops, gangs, crime etc.
4. It has a star system like GTA
5. You can kill citizens and cops show up.
6. You can steal a car and cops show up.

So the idea of someone expecting it to be like GTA was created by the developers themselves, so anyone expecting a cop to DRIVE A CAR AFTER YOU or a Gang to chase you IN A CAR is within reason based on the above. I do not believe that was some "goalpost moving" , I believe that was a reasonable belief as how many games have you ever seen have the above, yet no one drives a car shooting at you in real time? So the GTA comments make perfect sense in Cyberpunk. One would expect them to do the following based on what they already established above.

1.Chase you land, air and sea (they already show some hover type craft in the intro)
2. Gangs to chase you in cars since clearly you can drive too
3. Gang or faction system like GTA SA (again...they are the ones telling us gangs exist)

This would be like me making a game telling you about swords, dragons and a kingdom at war and many factions battling for the crown.

The game has the following.

1. Sword battles.
2. You can ride a horse
3. factions that attack you when go to their area

but the game lacks

1. Enemies that ride horses
2. Can't join any of the factions

Then act as if the issue was people thinking it needed to be like "Elder Scrolls" no sir, people expect something that made sense based on what was already fucking established about that world, but I digress.

I don't see much in Star Wars Outlaws that suggest Disney would seek a hard M, to my understand Star Wars Outlaws is T type of game, but that was likely based on the actual licensing agreements.

Keep in mind folks, even in Ghost Of Tsushima, a M rated game, you cannot just randomly kill any civilian. Depends on what the team, publisher, IP owners etc actually want with the theme, brand etc.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Nah, in Cyberpunk I'd argue that was more expected cause of many obvious reasons.

1. CDPR own the IP, it wasn't like some Disney License about Captain Hook
2. Their trailers show you being chased by cops in car and shooting at them.
3. They tell you the world has corrupt cops, gangs, crime etc.
4. It has a star system like GTA
5. You can kill citizens and cops show up.
6. You can steal a car and cops show up.

So the idea of someone expecting it to be like GTA was created by the developers themselves, so anyone expecting a cop to DRIVE A CAR AFTER YOU or a Gang to chase you IN A CAR is within reason based on the above. I do not believe that was some "goalpost moving" , I believe that was a reasonable belief as how many games have you ever seen have the above, yet no one drives a car shooting at you in real time? So the GTA comments make perfect sense in Cyberpunk. One would expect them to do the following based on what they already established above.

1.Chase you land, air and sea (they already show some hover type craft in the intro)
2. Gangs to chase you in cars since clearly you can drive too
3. Gang or faction system like GTA SA (again...they are the ones telling us gangs exist)

This would be like me making a game telling you about swords, dragons and a kingdom at war and many factions battling for the crown.

The game has the following.

1. Sword battles.
2. You can ride a horse
3. factions that attack you when go to their area

but the game lacks

1. Enemies that ride horses
2. Can't join any of the factions

Then act as if the issue was people thinking it needed to be like "Elder Scrolls" no sir, people expect something that made sense based on what was already fucking established about that world, but I digress.

I don't see much in Star Wars Outlaws that suggest Disney would seek a hard M, to my understand Star Wars Outlaws is T type of game, but that was likely based on the actual licensing agreements.

Keep in mind folks, even in Ghost Of Tsushima, a M rated game, you cannot just randomly kill any civilian. Depends on what the team, publisher, IP owners etc actually want with the theme, brand etc.
Spot on about Cyberpunk. People make shit up and try to change what really happened pre-release with that game and its marketing.

Last edited:
imagine being so damn jaded that being able to attack or steal from civilians in a star wars based game (you know, just like hans solo used to do in the movies) didn't sound all that great to you in the first place...

DaGwaphics

NPCs in this game have had enough of the rampant vehicle theft that happens in almost every open world game. They won't stand for it.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Lame. They refuse to have more extreme characters or actions. Instead it's just this grey morality that's gotten really boring.

Being an "outlaw" in star wars doesn't mean cad bane apparently

Top Bottom