• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

ACE 1991 said:
Soooo... I suck hard, it seems. GAF how I starcraft 2?

Are there any good online primers that I should be reading?
We're in the same boat. Let's play together. Lamonster.zone

That goes for all you noobs who can't seem to play at the level that most people seem to play at.

Lord Phol

timkunedo said:
I need in this beta like today. This thread is killing me :(

You should of have gotten one isntead of me, this game doesen't like me for some strange weird voodo-induced reason.
Just now I was rushing a zerg with my ally, and of course he drops leaving me alone with a bunch of roaches. Either I'm very unlucky, or.. nope thats pretty much it.

ACE 1991

The Lamonster said:
We're in the same boat. Let's play together. Lamonster.zone

That goes for all you noobs who can't seem to play at the level that most people seem to play at.

Awesome, I'll add you. My name is ace.abc

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
HarryDemeanor said:
Don't worry. It's you! Have fun in the beta.
HOLY FRICKEN MONKEYS, I LOVE YOU.

YOU'RE A KING, A BOSS.
250ug4z.png

zoukka

*sniff* my macro really sucks. It's depressing to only be able to play a few hours here and there and see everyone get vastly better... stupid addicting games STUPID STUPID :D

And they nerfed the ZERG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!111 Now my chances are dead against the shitty mmm.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Lord Phol said:
Please say Im doing something wrong and there's som tactic that will make me survive the first rush.
well you said nothing about what you're actually doing, so as far as telling you if you're doing something wrong... we have no idea.

Lord Phol said:
They always traget me :(.
if it's you versus two of them at the same time in a coordinated attack you pretty much don't stand a chance without your partner coming to back you up. unfortunately by the time your friend gets there it may be too late. what that means is you both need to scout really well and know who they're going to focus before they actually get there.

as far as blocking a rush from only one of them... block your ramp with pylons and gateway, get an early forge to put out a cannon or two? cannon can shoot at them from behind your protective barrier

Lord Phol

Scrow said:
well you said nothing about what you're actually doing, so as far as telling you if you're doing something wrong... we have no idea.

if it's you versus two of them at the same time in a coordinated attack you pretty much don't stand a chance without your partner coming to back you up. unfortunately by the time your friend gets there it may be too late. what that means is you both need to scout really well and know who they're going to focus before they actually get there.

as far as blocking a rush from only one of them... block your ramp with pylons and gateway, get an early forge to put out a cannon or two? cannon can shoot at them from behind your protective barrier

Yeah that's what I'm doing :/, even get out a sentry and block them with a forcewall.
But it's like you said, once you are at that point ur pretty much dead.
I somehow --I might be wrong-- feel like terrans in that regard have it at bit easier, supporting their wall with marines fireing and even scvs repiaring. Zergs also get roaches pretty quick which takes down most 1 tier groundunits.

Wish I could show you with a replay, but i normally start by building about 2-3 probes -> get a pylon by the ramp -> some more probes -> a gateway next to the pylon -> send probe for scouting -> build more probes -> get my zealot -> another gateway -> more zealots -> pylon -> either forge with cannons/another gateway or core so I can get a sentry and some stalkers.
My scout probe dies, and so do I.
With some variations, and not so varying results :/.

When you get rushed 5 times in a row, and with the ladder system demoting you to the bronzeleague from silver you kind of loose the will to play.

Tremis

This man does his research.
damn, shouldn't have slept in! :D

well, it is good to see that kind of thing anyway. Good on the donor!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
5%! not terrible speeds for a torrent, i wonder if you're always seeding even after you download it...

i cant wait to play with some of you guys, especially those from the starcraft 1 sessions. ^^ if for some reason i get a key in the next rollouts it'll of course be free to a gaffer.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
chris-013 said:
There is legal direct download link if you want to dl faster. ^^
my connection tends to crap out with transfer speeds over 1MBps. it can do them, but if you so much as turn on a microwave the wifi dies. so part files are usually better for me as i dont risk losing a spot in queue if i leave and the connection dies.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Lord Phol said:
Wish I could show you with a replay, but i normally start by building about 2-3 probes -> get a pylon by the ramp -> some more probes -> a gateway next to the pylon -> send probe for scouting -> build more probes -> get my zealot -> another gateway -> more zealots -> pylon -> either forge with cannons/another gateway or core so I can get a sentry and some stalkers.
most people will probably feel this is a strange build, but it's something i've been playing around with. it's best used against terran.

1. don't spend the first 50 minerals you're given at the beginning on a worker, save it for a pylon.
2. As soon as you hit 100 minerals put a pylon down and send probe back to minerals.
3. As soon as pylon is warped in and you're at 150 minerals, put a Gateway down.
4. Send that probe you used to make the gateway off to scout and find where your opponents are.
4.2 Scout for an enemy that hasn't blocked the ramp perfectly (this build is only effective as a rush if you can get up the ramp). As soon as you've found the base send the probe back to mine minerals, or you can leave it around the ensure the ramp doesn't get blocked.
5. If you hit 150 minerals while waiting for the gateway to spawn, produce a worker, but you must always have 100 minerals ready to go so that when the gateway is warped in you can immediately start producing a zealot.
6. Once gateway has warped in immediately produce a zealot and crono boost the gateway.
7. Set the Gateway's rally point to your opponents base.
8. Again, if you ever hit 150+ minerals, produce another worker.
8.2 The second the first zealot runs from the gateway produce another and crono boost immediately. keep doing this. your gateway should constantly be producing a zealot.
9. Let the first zealot go into the base solo, there should only be 1 or 2 marines produced and the zealot should be able to kill them both if they aren't barricaded behind supply depots and barracks.
10. By the time you kill the two marines your second zealot should be arriving. Set them both onto any barracks and any supply depots.
10.2 kill any marines that pop out before you destroy the barracks.
11. Soon your third zealot will arrive and you just need to keep them destroying marines, barracks, supply depots, scvs as the zealots keep streaming in and reinforcing your little harassment group.

Even if you don't wipe him out completely, the harassment will screw his economy especially if he's having to rebuild barracks, supply depots, scvs, or even if he's pulling the scvs off the mineral line to take you out. the main thing is since you're harassing him, he is not harassing you.

anyway, the key step in that whole thing is not spending your first 50 minerals on a worker and saving it for a pylon instead so you can get a power grid out ASAP for the gateway to be placed on. makes a big difference to how quickly you can get that first zealot out and if you're lucky to find a ramp that isn't blocked yet, your zealot can get in and cause your opponent a lot of headaches.

Lord Phol

Scrow said:
most people will probably feel this is a strange build, but it's something i've been playing around with. it's best used against terran.

1. don't spend the first 50 minerals you're given at the beginning on a worker, save it for a pylon.
2. As soon as you hit 100 minerals put a pylon down and send probe back to minerals.
3. As soon as pylon is warped in and you're at 150 minerals, put a Gateway down.
4. Send that probe you used to make the gateway off to scout and find where your opponents are.
4.2 Scout for an enemy that hasn't blocked the ramp perfectly (this build is only effective as a rush if you can get up the ramp). As soon as you've found the base send the probe back to mine minerals, or you can leave it around the ensure the ramp doesn't get blocked.
5. If you hit 150 minerals while waiting for the gateway to spawn, produce a worker, but you must always have 100 minerals ready to go so that when the gateway is warped in you can immediately start producing a zealot.
6. Once gateway has warped in immediately produce a zealot and crono boost the gateway.
7. Set the Gateway's rally point to your opponents base.
8. Again, if you ever hit 150+ minerals, produce another worker.
8.2 The second the first zealot runs from the gateway produce another and crono boost immediately. keep doing this. your gateway should constantly be producing a zealot.
9. Let the first zealot go into the base solo, there should only be 1 or 2 marines produced and the zealot should be able to kill them both if they aren't barricaded behind supply depots and barracks.
10. By the time you kill the two marines your second zealot should be arriving. Set them both onto any barracks and any supply depots.
10.2 kill any marines that pop out before you destroy the barracks.
11. Soon your third zealot will arrive and you just need to keep them destroying marines, barracks, supply depots, scvs as the zealots keep streaming in and reinforcing your little harassment group.

Even if you don't wipe him out completely, the harassment will screw his economy especially if he's having to rebuild barracks, supply depots, scvs, or even if he's pulling the scvs off the mineral line to take you out.

anyway, the key step in that whole thing is not spending your first 50 minerals on a worker and saving it for a pylon instead so you can get a power grid out ASAP for the gateway to be placed on. makes a big difference to how quickly you can get that first zealot out and if you're lucky to find a ramp that isn't blocked yet, your zealot can get in and cause your opponent a lot of headaches.

That sounds kind of.. brilliant! :O
Well worth a try or 2, thank you for taking your time and giving such great tips even when I feel like a big whiner :>.
I'm not gonna quit! I'll just ride it out until the buffs and skills kicks in!

Dunno, any decent Terran player will just pull SCVs (as units that fast usually mean some kind of all-in strategy, which yours is) and prevent your zealots from getting near the marines.

It might work against people who just sit there and let their marines die, I suppose.

Lord Phol

Fragamemnon said:
Dunno, any decent Terran player will just pull SCVs (as units that fast usually mean some kind of all-in strategy, which yours is) and prevent your zealots from getting near the marines.

It might work against people who just sit there and let their marines die, I suppose.
What would you/do you do playing as protoss versus terran?
Curious to hear how good playser do so I can learn :>.

nilbog21

Banned
fuuuck it hurts so much, i always check this thread to see if ppl are giving away extras ;[

big fuck you to my dear friends over at blizz, only played your game for 8 yrs and opted-in day 1 ;/ also a big fuck you to all the people that have keys but dont play it ;D

Raide

I am seeing more and more matches where things end in less than 5 mins. Then I get a gg. :lol

I really need to work on my build order for stuff.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
By the way, I'm still looking for some help on the OT. Especially need somebody who knows their way around Photoshop.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ZealousD said:
By the way, I'm still looking for some help on the OT. Especially need somebody who knows their way around Photoshop.
what would you need?

2-0 placement league is free.
fo0ges.jpg

I think alot of people need to calm down. If you dont get in, is it that bad? Its just beta testing and the Finished Product is finally coming out this first half of the year, Is it really that bad to have a better experience with the final product?

Apath

momolicious said:
I think alot of people need to calm down. If you dont get in, is it that bad? Its just beta testing and the Finished Product is finally coming out this first half of the year, Is it really that bad to have a better experience with the final product?
It's something people have been waiting for coming around 10 years now. Add that level of anticipation with other people getting to play the game right in front of you -- the majority most likely never even having played SC1 before -- and you get some fucked up shit. It's like starving and having someone eat a banquet in front of you.

nilbog21

Banned
bro some of us play competitively and want to jump in the scene asap. some of us don't really enjoy your casual/brainless BGH/UMS games. have fun w/ the single player on the "final product" tho ;/

Kenak said:
It's something people have been waiting for coming around 10 years now. Add that level of anticipation with other people getting to play the game right in front of you -- the majority most likely never even having played SC1 before -- and you get some fucked up shit. It's like starving and having someone eat a banquet in front of you.

How do you know most people who got in beta have never played starcraft 1.

Mudkips

Banned
momolicious said:

Yeah, that's pretty much the dumbest assumption ever.
The vast majority of the people in beta have played SC.

Wedge7

momolicious said:

Seriously man, just stop.

Its annoying and irritating to have someone come in and just say "No beta? No biggie". I mean, its obviously a big deal.

Apath

momolicious said:
I didn't say I know, I said most likely. In this I reference the Blizzcon beta keys, and how a huge staple of that show are WoW players. That's not even the point really, that was more telling how it's salt on an open wound.

Was that really so hard to infer or were you that dead set on being right?

Top Bottom