• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Yaweee

Trasher said:
Has it been weekly? For some reason I thought it has been biweekly.

There was...

Week one: Wave One
Week two: Wave "oops, we didn't fit all of the Blizz-con passes in yet, let's send those out"
Week three: Wave "Two"

We're on week four right now.

vitaflo

Ice Monkey said:
you know if they're almost at 10k and don't plan to add more, it's beyond me how this beta could last even three months. We're 7 days from one full month, and they're going to have two more months of the same games over and over? I'm also surprised that if 10,000 was going to be their cap that they haven't unlocked 3v3 and 4v4 yet, and since they haven't yet I can't see them just randomly adding it in the future.

I hate to be so hopeful but I'm already thinking that this could be good news for ALL of us and that they'll just cut the beta even shorter and release the full game in a month or so.

You haven't beta tested a game before have you? I would expect 6 months from when beta started, no less. I'd count on July.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's just that Blizzard wants around 10,000 on for matchmaking to be good and have good feedback.

They'd need time to check balance and set up their day 1 patch + polish up Single Player.
mint said:
So many afkers =_=
Every minute you are afk and not sharing another sentry shuts down.
You are all horrible people.

mcrae

i would think 10k is their short term cap, that they will up halfway through the beta. more peeps for the 3v3 and 4v4s

vitaflo said:
You haven't beta tested a game before have you? I would expect 6 months from when beta started, no less. I'd count on July.

well not that it means anything as a comparison but wasn't modern warfare beta a rather short time before full release?

The headache was kind reeling in.. and I wanna play FF13.

GGs.

BTW - Mint and I are close to finishing placement in 2v2. I'm pretty sure we are gonna place in Platinum. We are that awesome.

I have a replay of epic awesomeness.. We scouted 2 Terran opponents early and noticed they were massing Bio. I decide to go banelings while Mint went with MM's. I flanked them a few times with Banelings then we just ransacked 1 guys base.. Then we went for the other.. he was walled in.. had well over 40 marines..

Mint takes out his supply depot wall and I just roll right in as his marines were still focusing on his Mauraders who were hitting the wall.. Mint backs off and my banelings take them all out in 2 seconds. So awesome.

The Lamonster said:
Sorry Pez. We could've won that if my modem didn't crap out.

We did win that...

I took your units and my units and pushed after you dropped since they tried attacking me and failed during that drop.

I raped them for us.

mint

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
The headache was kind reeling in.. and I wanna play FF13.

GGs.

BTW - Mint and I are close to finishing placement in 2v2. I'm pretty sure we are gonna place in Platinum. We are that awesome.

I have a replay of epic awesomeness.. We scouted 2 Terran opponents early and noticed they were massing Bio. I decide to go banelings while Mint went with MM's. I flanked them a few times with Banelings then we just ransacked 1 guys base.. Then we went for the other.. he was walled in.. had well over 40 marines..

Mint takes out his supply depot wall and I just roll right in as his marines were still focusing on his Mauraders who were hitting the wall.. Mint backs off and my banelings take them all out in 2 seconds. So awesome.

We did win that...

I took your units and my units and pushed.

I raped them for us.
Btw do banelings do friendly damage?

And I think I can play more but I need an hour. :(

Apologies for the decline to 2v2-I'll just throw it out there that I think it's sorta not nearly as fun as laddering. It also helped that I was on a huge win streak when Mint msg'd me and I had a REALLY bad day at work (didn't get off work until like 11 or so), so I was at the 'god let me just do my thing in peace' place. :p

fanboi

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Apologies for the decline to 2v2-I'll just throw it out there that I think it's sorta not nearly as fun as laddering. It also helped that I was on a huge win streak when Mint msg'd me and I had a REALLY bad day at work (didn't get off work until like 11 or so), so I was at the 'god let me just do my thing in peace' place. :p

When you have a bad day you can always play SC2... what can I do? Thats right NOTHING!

Zzoram

Ugh, Teamliquid has reported on the existance of a map hack for the beta. They've reported it to Blizzard already.

The players there are very good at spotting maphack indicators in replays (due to hypervigilance against hackers in the Broodwar community, especially if cash prizes are involved), and once they noticed suspicious behavior, they did a bit of searching and found it.

Blizzard never cracked down hard on map hacks with Broodwar so 3rd party ladders like iCCup formed that had much better anti-hack measures, as well as lan latency (why the hell doesn't Battle.net2 have this yet?), and mandatory replays for ladder/tournament games for analysis in the case of suspected map hacking.

Blizzard needs to crush map hackers hard if they expect the game to have any measure of success competitively, especially since everyone has to play over Battle.net now. Hacking is the worst thing that can happen to a game that often has cash prize tournaments where people have to play online because they can't afford to get everyone together for a LAN (which isn't even possible now anyways).

I hope Blizzard develops a method to detect this hack (and works hard to make sure they detect all the public map hacks that come out in the future) and permanently bans their linked Battle.net accounts.

Edit* nvm, just want them to be banned from Ladder/Tournaments

Minsc

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
Ugh, Teamliquid has reported on the existance of a map hack for the beta. They've reported it to Blizzard already.

The players there are very good at spotting maphack indicators in replays (due to hypervigilance against hackers in the Broodwar community, especially if cash prizes are involved), and once they noticed suspicious behavior, they did a bit of searching and found it.

Blizzard never cracked down hard on map hacks with Broodwar so 3rd party ladders like iCCup formed that had much better anti-hack measures, as well as lan latency (why the hell doesn't Battle.net2 have this yet?), and mandatory replays for ladder/tournament games for analysis in the case of suspected map hacking.

Blizzard needs to crush map hackers hard if they expect the game to have any measure of success competitively, especially since everyone has to play over Battle.net now. Hacking is the worst thing that can happen to a game that often has cash prize tournaments where people have to play online because they can't afford to get everyone together for a LAN (which isn't even possible now anyways).

I hope Blizzard develops a method to detect this hack (and works hard to make sure they detect all the public map hacks that come out in the future) and permanently bans their linked Battle.net accounts.

That's certainly a nice big threat, once they start doing it. You'd lose access to your purchased game I believe, and have to rebuy it, along with any other games you play (mainly WoW now, but later Diablo 3).

Zzoram

Minsc said:
That's certainly a nice big threat, once they start doing it. You'd lose access to your purchased game I believe, and have to rebuy it, along with any other games you play (mainly WoW now, but later Diablo 3).

I've rethought my stance on hacking since that post. I want hackers that are caught to have their display picture changed to "CHEATER" and for their serial key to be banned from Ladder/Tournament play. That way they can still play custom matches/maps but not competitively.

awefaw

Minsc said:

Or you can just have them on multiple accounts.

Minsc

Gold Member
awefaw said:
Or you can just have them on multiple accounts.

Aren't the accounts still tied to your games? You'd have to rebuy your games and lose all your stats if you were banned, as they'd be able to ban every account tied to the account that hacked.

I imagine re-buying the game would be a pretty strong deterrent. But even stronger would be losing your whole battle.net access and your record/stats. No one with a 3 year history under their name would risk losing it I think. At least it should be a very good deterrent.

eggandI

Banned
Zzoram said:

Edit* nvm, just want them to be banned from Ladder/Tournaments

Agreed on the perma bnet accounts. Also, CD-Key ban, no more multiplayer for you.

Minsc

Gold Member
eggandI said:
Agreed on the perma bnet accounts. Also, CD-Key ban, no more multiplayer for you.

Couldn't even install the game without a CD-Key, as it connects to battle.net during the installation. It'd be a totally useless copy of the game.

Lord Phol

I've had such a bad 2v2 streak atm Im abit afraid of playing ><. Managed to get back to about rank 30ish, but my Win/Loose ration is < 1 now :(.

Exhumed

Zapperkhan said:
Nice Frag, my work has teamliquid.com/forum* blocked, could you be so kind to paste the details here please.

Yes if you could that would be awesome. Blocked here at work as well. Comes up saying "intimate apparel/swimsuit" as the reason its blocked :lol . Sometimes I wonder how these filtering programs work.

I've been hanging out on IRC so I know just a few of you, but this is what I've been talking about with OMFG. We do live SC2 match commentary on Friday nights in a marathon session. Hoping we'll be listed on the user streams here at TeamLiquid before long.

This week we have nine 1v1 players ranked in the top 10 in their platinum division and five 2v2 teams ranked in the top 5 of their platinum division, three of which are ranked #1. The full schedule is listed below. Note that times are tentative based upon the lengths of other matches and potential cancellations. Join us for the festivities over at http://www.OMFG.fm starting at 5pm EST on Friday. A front page post will have the info at that time.

All times are Eastern time USA.

5:00-5:20 - 1v1 : #23 Div 2, eeSanG vs. #4 Div 7, DarKNeSS
5:20-5:40 - 1v1 : #14 Div 4, Whiplash vs. #12 Div 2, ReddoG
5:40-6:00 - 1v1 : #7 Div 7, IDKAnything vs. #4 Div 4, CauthonLuck
6:00-6:30 - 2v2 : #17 Div 22, Marss & chunglee vs. #1 Div 2, Warlen & Axslav
6:30-7:00 - 1v1 : #6 Div 2, Atrioc vs. #2 Div 11, Xiphius

7:00-7:30 - Half-Time Show including interviews with some of the players!

7:30-7:50 - 1v1 : #9 Div 1, ViBE vs. #6 Div 8, zeppelin
7:50-8:10 - 1v1 : Kranden vs. Animayshun
8:10-8:40 - 1v1 : Shivan vs. Metallic
8:40-9:00 - 1v1 : #5 Div 3, Broom vs. #3 Div 4, IdrA
9:00-9:30 - 2v2 : #3 Div 1, Dark & Nostalgia vs. #1 Div 26, Tomed & Bane
9:30-10:00 - 2v2 : #2 Div 8, JessicaJung & Shusaku vs. #1 Div 22, DreeZy & havoc

*All times are estimates, subject to change.

If you're interested in being considered as a player for eSports LIVE (every Friday from 5:00pm to approximately 10:00pm EST), email kyle@omfg.fm with your StarCraft 2 ID, your ladder ranking, and your availability on Fridays.

Bug me in IRC if you have questions or I'll see you Friday night.

Cheeto

Exhumed said:
Yes if you could that would be awesome. Blocked here at work as well. Comes up saying "intimate apparel/swimsuit" as the reason its blocked :lol . Sometimes I wonder how these filtering programs work.
:lol Does your work use Bluecoat too?

mint

Banned
English Español Deutsch Français Italiano &#1056;&#1091;&#1089;&#1089;&#1082;&#1080;&#1081; Polski &#54620;&#44397;&#50612; &#32321;&#39636;&#20013;&#25991;
StarCraft II Beta - Patch 5 (version 0.7.0.14356)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

StarCraft II Beta – Patch 5 (version 0.7.0.14356)

The latest patch notes can always be found on the StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.

Balance Changes

PROTOSS
Cybernetics Core
Warp Gate research time increased from 60 seconds to 140 seconds.

ZERG
Hatchery/Lair/Hive
Burrow research time increased from 50 seconds to 100 seconds.
Burrow research cost increased from 50 Minerals and 50 Vespene Gas to 100 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas.
Nydus Network
Nydus Worm build time increased from 10 seconds to 20 seconds.
Hydralisk
The delay between attacks has been increased from 0.75 seconds to 0.83 seconds.
Infestor
Neural Parasite has been redesigned:
The limited duration of 10 seconds has been removed.
Can no longer target air units.
Cast range decreased from 9 to 7.
Burrowed Infestor move speed decreased from 1.5 to 1.
Infestor life decreased from 120 to 90.
Infestors that are burrowed now have the same threat level as above-ground units for the purposes of automatically acquiring targets.

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue with High graphics settings that could cause particles not to render.

SUCK IT WARPGATE!! SUCK IT NYDUS!! ROFLROFLFORLFOFRLFORLFLFLL

Hydras nerfed too sweet.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
mint said:
English Español Deutsch Français Italiano &#1056;&#1091;&#1089;&#1089;&#1082;&#1080;&#1081; Polski &#54620;&#44397;&#50612; &#32321;&#39636;&#20013;&#25991;
StarCraft II Beta - Patch 5 (version 0.7.0.14356)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

StarCraft II Beta – Patch 5 (version 0.7.0.14356)

The latest patch notes can always be found on the StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.

Balance Changes

PROTOSS
Cybernetics Core
Warp Gate research time increased from 60 seconds to 140 seconds.

ZERG
Hatchery/Lair/Hive
Burrow research time increased from 50 seconds to 100 seconds.
Burrow research cost increased from 50 Minerals and 50 Vespene Gas to 100 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas.
Nydus Network
Nydus Worm build time increased from 10 seconds to 20 seconds.
Hydralisk
The delay between attacks has been increased from 0.75 seconds to 0.83 seconds.
Infestor
Neural Parasite has been redesigned:
The limited duration of 10 seconds has been removed.
Can no longer target air units.
Cast range decreased from 9 to 7.
Burrowed Infestor move speed decreased from 1.5 to 1.
Infestor life decreased from 120 to 90.
Infestors that are burrowed now have the same threat level as above-ground units for the purposes of automatically acquiring targets.

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue with High graphics settings that could cause particles not to render.

SUCK IT WARPGATE!! SUCK IT NYDUS!! ROFLROFLFORLFOFRLFORLFLFLL

Hydras nerfed too sweet.

wtf man fucking horse shit :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I expected Nydus Worm would get a nerf, and the Warp Gate too.

Still expecting nerfs to MMM and Roaches, and buffs for Phoenix.

Milabrega

Welcome back Muta/ling! Its like you never left, (you didn't, you just got drowned out in the sea of roach rush & hydra/wormers)

That's pretty much what this patch does anyway. I wonder if the Infestors no longer affecting air units will make them unable to take over Colossi or not.

"Infestors that are burrowed now have the same threat level as above-ground units for the purposes of automatically acquiring targets. "

What exactly does this mean?

Are there NeoGaf games going on right now? Should I log in if there is or ending soon? Probably going to watch that stream at 5 to see how those platinum leaguers adapt to the patch.

Warp Gate doesn't mean that much really. Just means Proxy users will have to waste a second Chronos to get it done.

ZealousD said:
I expected Nydus Worm would get a nerf, and the Warp Gate too.

Still expecting nerfs to MMM and Roaches, and buffs for Phoenix.

Roaches got quasi nerfed with the Burrow research time increased and cost increased.

Top Bottom