• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

winnarps

Freakinchair said:
At what time/date did you receive the email? Would be good to know if theyre doing weekly waves now.

Also, grats on beta!

Thanks. I got my invite late in the night, March 6th.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Shocked no one is rushing you.. then again Terrans usually don't rush and they wall in until they have a nice M&M ball. Toss can sometimes rush - Though if playing Zerg they will sometimes go right for Immortals in fear of roaches. Would be surprised if they didn't make Sentrys and just held them at the mineral line. Sentrys are pretty good anti air and with the force field they can deflect dmg by half from mutas and then also help reduce bounce dmg on probes.

If I played you I'd have roaches up in dat ass.. ;)

Yeah, it's strange. Not one serious rusher yet. I scout as early as possible to check on that though.

But it seems a lot of the lower ranked people tend to turtle/mass units. I played a few people that 'knew' what they were doing with mass roaches or the M/M/M terran strat, but they were a bit too slow with micro and I was able to outplay them. One guy with the M/M/M setup let me kill 2 filled Medivacs. And that was practically GG.

I feel like Zerg can rush to tier 2 extremely fast. That + quick expansion = queen + tons of larvae.

By the time I get 2 mutas, I just harass workers and it fucks with people's rhythm/focus.

I doubt I'd be any good against more knowledgeable players, though. My APM? is pretty low and I'm still learning the game.

I think my bnet id is exemplar. Not sure though; I wasn't paying attention much at the log in screen stuff. Or is it an email?

Milabrega

I've updated the list of NeoGafer's in beta.

AbortedWalrus and Winnarps I need your battle.net names in the _____.____ format and well anyone else who hasn't given it. Procarbine, I have you added (Add me Milabrega.Mila) but you always decline my invites into Gaf 2v2's :lol Ice Monkey, I haven't seen you on except for my first night in beta.

winnarps

Milabrega said:

AbortedWalrus and Winnarps I need your battle.net names in the _____.____ format and well anyone else who hasn't given it. Procarbine, I have you added (Add me Milabrega.Mila) but you always decline my invites into Gaf 2v2's :lol Ice Monkey, I haven't seen you on except for my first night in beta.

Ah, it's exemplar.exe.

Milabrega said:

It's WalrusFetus.aborted.

Quick question, is sharing the beta out of the question? (I hope this is not a bannable thing). Is blizzard banning people who share the beta?

BrknGuitar said:
Not possible.... although i wish it was!

It is if you have people you trust with your login information, such as close friends. Doing so is a breach of the agreement though. Is blizzard actively banning people they suspect of doing it is the question.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
It's WalrusFetus.aborted.

Quick question, is sharing the beta out of the question? (I hope this is not a bannable thing). Is blizzard banning people who share the beta?

We've been sharing ours within our house which should be fine. Also have a friend who lives a bit away from us and we just wait an hour before logging in from his place and mine. I've never heard of people being banned from Blizzard games for account sharing unless someone straight up reports them to Blizz for that or if they are logging on in China then in the US with crazy teleporting speed lol. China thing was because a guildy was using a leveling service.

Mudkips

Banned
Hazaro said:
eBay is removing account sales. Beta keys sales are legal since it is just paper or an e-mail.
Accounts are not. Also much much trickier to handle.

Nope. eBay kills off sales for beta keys.

The only surviving auctions on eBay anymore are those for a physical BlizzCon card.

Even if an auction has already ended, eBay can kill it and void all the payments (because lol, they own Paypal). You can of course have the person just pay you, but then you lose all "protections" Paypal gives you.

Basically, eBay is shit.

Shred0r

Banned
How can Blizz check that you are sharing your account? By tacing/logging your original IP and checking if it stays the same (otherwise indication of a different PC/user)? But what if my IP is not a static one? By checking the Mac-Address of the user that created his account and if the mac changes the alarm goes off @ Blizz HQ? What if am going to change my network card or mainboard? How can Blizzard have a valid and waterproff indication - therefore evidence - that i am sharing? Enlighten me plz how such things work. Thx!

Shred0r said:
How can Blizz check that you are sharing your account? By tacing/logging your original IP and checking if it stays the same (otherwise indication of a different PC/user)? But what if my IP is not a static one? By checking the Mac-Address of the user that created his account and if the mac changes the alarm goes off @ Blizz HQ? What if am going to change my network card or mainboard? How can Blizzard have a valid and waterproff indication - therefore evidence - that i am sharing? Enlighten me plz how such things work. Thx!
Its their game.. and their account not yours.. so they can do whatever the hell they want. you agree to it.

Mudkips

Banned
Pandaman said:
support ravens with homing missiles can be mean versus air.

They're mean versus anything.
Seeker missiles do 100 damage (ignoring armor) to the target, and 100 damage to targets nearby. The damage tapers off to 25 damage (then 0) at the edge of it's radius.

A few Ravens absolutely destroy all ground rushes (including Medivac drops) and are an awesome way to harass a base that's massing shit. You can't target structures, but any structures in the blast radius will take damage.

A game I played last night had two Protoss players massing Carriers. My 7 Ravens took them out in a couple seconds. You can set up a couple point defense drones just outside someones base, then send a couple Ravens in to fire missiles at whatever they're massing (they're ALWAYS massing something) and just gtfo. Any anti-air will be dealt with by the defense drones til you safely get back to your own base.

The shitty thing is the energy cost - 125 for 1 missile while the Raven's max capacity is 200. The point defense drone costs 100. You basically need 1 Raven per missile you plan to launch.

Shred0r said:
It's pretty easy when your account is logged into an ip residing from China then 5 minutes later in Washington DC.

chris-013

Shred0r said:

Blizzard don't care about sharing account, I know two very high skilled players who share accounts since the beginning of the beta (US/Europe) and there is 0 ban or problem.

Id love to see a game where someone beats another guy with just Ravens :lol

I saw someone beat someone with High Templars last night.. but did abuse Archons a bit when energy was low on the HT's. (Morphed em right in his town as he Psi Stormed their whole base)

Milabrega said:
It happened in Gaf games, twice. Turret drop ftw. DemiMatt and Aznpxydd.
They did that to me! But that was after they took out my partner and stuff prior to that and one of they were most def not just doing straight Ravens :p

Mudkips

Banned
Just did a 2v2 with a Zerg partner (I was Terran).
All I did was wall up the entrance (it's the one where you share a base with a wide ramp) and put some siege tanks, then go straight for ravens.

We almost lost it when they made their big push (Terran and Protoss), but my Ravens wiped out most of their shit and the continual turret drops stopped their streams of units being rallied to our base. I also used them to soften up a Mothership that destroyed my ally's expansion, which my ally was then able to finish off.

My partner got a bunch of Corruptors (the anti-air Zerg flier) and I got a few BCs.
They went all in on offense so I used my ravens to pick off all the SCVs at their expansions, then we finished them with my BCs and a few of his ground forces.

I fucked up in the beginning. I was making a third command center to fly over to an expansion, but I made it a planetary fortress before I flew it over. (Once made, they can't lift off.) But that fucker saved us during their big push. I rallied my SCVs to repair it and it was basically like a giant siege tank.

Ravens are my favorite. It's fucking risky to focus on getting them, but the lulz are worth it when you pull it off (I don't give a crap about rankings).

taoofjord

I forgot to put my battlenet name in here! I'm:
Jehbeh.yesplease

Add me :] Especially if you're brand new to RTS's or SC. I'm trying hard to learn it, and making progress, but I still would like to play beginners. Also up for 2v2's.

Ill be on after I eat.. hopefully mint is around :p

Sorry Panda about not being able to game earlier.. I was playing agst some co-workers at work.. and we were already in a long game so when that was over we were gonna stop.

Arthrus

As someone who's about to get into Brood War (when I find myself a little spare time), could anybody tell me how the AI works in skirmishes? Most of my RTS experience is with Command and Conquer, where the computer could put up high tech buildings and build a bunch of units ridiculously fast, so early attacks/harassment were always impossible.

Since the game I know best is Red Alert 2, one thing that's always bothered me has been that the AI was never good enough. Facing a brutal enemy wasn't that tough (unless they were Korea and instantly build a bunch of jets in the first minute of the game).

From following the thread, it seems the races are well balanced, with the Terran winning just slightly less than the others. Does Blizzard put out actual numbers? I'd love to know what they are, because I love statistics. TF2 was a dream come true, in that regard... *stares off into the distance*

arthrus it's much more fair than red alert, that's for sure. The AI is basically moldable in a way, in that you can attack with some piddly unit to draw them away from massing on your barracks. You usually only have to worry about the first attacks like zealots and lings and marines massed at the beginning, then you just roll through all of them with battlecruisers or something.

Zzoram said:

Yeah, I watched this earlier today. Pretty Epic. Just adds to the torture of not being in the beta. I was actually pretty surprised that neither side really teched up much at all until a bit at the very end. But I am an ultra noob so what do I know. I guess MMM is as good as people say.

Milabrega

eosos said:
Anyone know if they are doing waves anymore? It seems like I'm the only left out :(

That interview put Blizzard's ideal number of testers at 10k, there was <7k over the weekend and <5k now so I'd say the chances of another wave sooner rather than later look good.

nilbog21

Banned
Milabrega said:
That interview put Blizzard's ideal number of testers at 10k, there was <7k over the weekend and <5k now so I'd say the chances of another wave sooner rather than later look good.

O_O!!

scoobs

Milabrega said:

.... god I hope so.

mint and I hit platinum in 2v2..

We played out first game in Plat agst some guys.. they destroyed us with an early rush and probe harass on mints scv building his rax.. lol..

Then we played them again (got matched to them back to back)..

This time we won. Though their Zerg got the fastest Mutas I had ever seen.. so I kamikaze'd into his base and took out all his drones while back at mine I made hydras to protect. We then pressed his partner while continually hitting the zerg to finish him off. (We got revenge).

Mint -

I watched the replay of the last game.. The zerg 10 pooled and then made like 3 more drones and stopped. He went all lings. Likewise with the Toss.. Double Gated early and went hardcore rush.

Maybe on that map since the ramp is so large and u cant wall.. you can scout with your supply depot scv.. or ill scout with a drone. See waht they are doing then work from there..

EDIT: I'm not sure how I'm platinum in 1v1, 2v2 with mint and 2v2 with another friend. I honestly suck. They totally carry me! (Well my friend doesnt)

Hello Gaf. I've been playing for 2 weeks now, I'm ranked #1 in my copper league and have a 1:1 ratio after about 60 games. Not sure why I havent been promoted to a higher division but ohh well. I'n not that great but I'm willing to learn!

I burrowed a MONSTER of a PC from work (it's actually a AutoCAD machine) and have about 1-2 more weeks to play. Add me people :)

My handle is mustafa.mustafa

Zzoram

Frustrated_me said:
Hello Gaf. I've been playing for 2 weeks now, I'm ranked #1 in my copper league and have a 1:1 ratio after about 60 games. Not sure why I havent been promoted to a higher division but ohh well. I'n not that great but I'm willing to learn!

I burrowed a MONSTER of a PC from work (it's actually a AutoCAD machine) and have about 1-2 more weeks to play. Add me people :)

My handle is mustafa.mustafa

It would make sense to require you to win more than 50% consistently to move up a league. Winning 50% of games is considered your ideal zone.

aznpxdd said:
Try getting platinum in 2v2 random. :p

I have to carry my teammates all the time - hence the 25-4 record.
We should play more aznpxdd.

I'm also never playing with Mudkip and his friend. Panda and Milabrega can attest to the lameness of both of them.

They were spectating in a game and we were all still in a party together (Me, Panda, Mudkip and his friend) and it was me and mint vs Mila and Panda. Those 2 sat in party chat nonstop blaring off what each of us were building thus ruining our builds and the game since Panda could read what I was building and mint was due to them.. and vice versa.. I could read what Panda and Mila were building. They wouldn't shutup either after we told them to. They actually laughed at the comments when we told them to stop. There is a reason why there is observer chat that they can only hear.. They even pleaded to be refs in the beginning of the game so they could blare it out w/o the need of party chat. It was pretty bullshit. They randomly left in the middle of the game too already ruining it but GAF be warned. Mudkip and his friend are douchebags.

EDIT: Im considering moving to Toss.. not sure if I will though :(

Mudkips

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
We should play more aznpxdd.

I'm also never playing with Mudkip and his friend. Panda and Milabrega can attest to the lameness of both of them.

They were spectating in a game and we were all still in a party together (Me, Panda, Mudkip and his friend) and it was me and mint vs Mila and Panda. Those 2 sat in party chat nonstop blaring off what each of us were building thus ruining our builds and the game since Panda could read what I was building and mint was due to them.. and vice versa.. I could read what Panda and Mila were building. They wouldn't shutup either after we told them to. They actually laughed at the comments when we told them to stop. There is a reason why there is observer chat that they can only hear.. They even pleaded to be refs in the beginning of the game so they could blare it out w/o the need of party chat. It was pretty bullshit. They randomly left in the middle of the game too already ruining it but GAF be warned. Mudkip and his friend are douchebags.

:lol I never revealed any build information. It was just my friend.
And wow cry some moar - He only talked about what was already revealed to you.
Then he did it more because you were crying about it so much.

Mudkips said:
Dude panda and i told both of you to quit it.. anyone can change up builds etc..

I actually didnt even see any banelings on my initial attack and spouting that shit off as well as SPAMMING the party chat with

LOL PANDA IS NOW REALLY AN ENDGANGERED SPIECES LOLOLOL

is exactly the reason why we ddint let you and him have ref access as you woulda just spammed the fricken game. Talk in obs chat.. thats the point of their own chat function. Keep spouting off.. none of the regulars will want to play with cheese like that.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mudkips said:
He only talked about what was already revealed to you.
So you admit to douchebaggery. at least you're on the same page :)

Hazaro said:
What do refs do and how is their chat different?
Refs can speak outloud in chat.. so even the players could hear. Not sure if they have any other benefit. Observer mode only allows for chat between other obs.

These guys were in our party as well and spammed up party chat WHILE in obs mode with info and retarded comments..

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Mudkips said:
"lol, you don't like it so i'm gonna do it more!" is no defense for such behaviour.

fanboi

Banned
Mudkips said:

As.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mudkips said:

That's a real dick move, and extremely immature. Keep that up and no one will want to play with you.

Top Bottom