• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

aznpxdd

MisterAnderson said:
That would explain it, heh. And to whoever suggested fast robotics to get stalkers + immortals, thanks. Just won against a Terran player trying marine + marauder against me.

He must not have been very good. :D

MMM eats Immortals + Stalkers for breakfast.

Corum

The problem I find with my game is that I find it difficult to multi-task e.g. scouting or engaging in battles and macro-ing at the same. I realise that Blizzard has made this simpler by allowing hotkeys to be added to multiple production buildings but does anyone have any other tips to help improve multi-tasking? Or is it just a part of the learning curve?

aznpxdd said:

Yea not sure why someone would recommend Immortals/Stalkers vs MMM

Immortals weakness is Marines since the shield ability does nothing to them.. its good vs tanks and high dmg ranged.

aznpxdd said:

Well to be fair, no he wasn't very good and I was micro-ing the battles much better than he was, and I mostly had Stalkers and only a couple of Immortals. But what do you suggest to counter Marauders and Marines? They seem uncounterable early game if the Terran player knows his build order to maximize his marine + marauder output. Maybe I'm just underproducing Zealots and sentries. Is it possible to get Templars fast enough to counter with Psi storm?

aznpxdd

MisterAnderson said:
Well to be fair, no he wasn't very good and I was micro-ing the battles much better than he was, and I mostly had Stalkers and only a couple of Immortals. But what do you suggest to counter Marauders and Marines? They seem uncounterable early game if the Terran player knows his build order to maximize his marine + marauder output. Maybe I'm just underproducing Zealots and sentries.

I have no idea. Storm obviously owns M&M, but they are more mid game units.

Milabrega said:
Set it up, we all know its going to be you and turtlesnatcher over Aznpxdd and whoever his partner is in the championship match :lol
I'm gonna go ahead and not even bother playing, as I'd end up at the bottom anyway :(

MisterAnderson said:
Well to be fair, no he wasn't very good and I was micro-ing the battles much better than he was, and I mostly had Stalkers and only a couple of Immortals. But what do you suggest to counter Marauders and Marines? They seem uncounterable early game if the Terran player knows his build order to maximize his marine + marauder output. Maybe I'm just underproducing Zealots and sentries. Is it possible to get Templars fast enough to counter with Psi storm?
Grab a few zealots stalkers and sentrys.. Use Guard Shield if they do push in but hold at your choke and go for high temps. They totally rape those MM balls.

Few cannons at choke.

Trasher

Someone should set up a bracket based on what league everyone is currently placed in, and then whenever the two people can find a time to play one another they can play their match and post the results of the game in the thread. Would be our own March Madness of Starcraft! 1v1 would obviously be the easiest to do, but it sounds like we might have enough to do a 2v2 tournament if someone was up for taking the time to set things up.

Milabrega

You need to have upgraded Zealots atleast +1 with charge vs MMM balls and yeah sentry shield, maybe a colossi or two, support stalkers, maybe some phoenix to take out the medivacs....

Fucking MMM.

syoaran

Nice to see so many new Gaf'ers in the beta, not sure how many of you are from the EU but I've added what I could find. Was a nice surprise about the friend beta keys, hoping for some more soon ^^

Won

Just finished patching up!

I don't think entering an ID ever felt that epic. Impressive work as always from Blizzard. :lol

My ID: Won.tollo
But I'm in Europe so I won't be able to get my ass kicked from most of you I guess. :(

jett

D-Member
I HAVE THE POWAH

i haven't played Starcraft in nearly a decade though, I hope there's some noob-friendly rooms in here. :p

jett said:
I HAVE THE POWAH

i haven't played Starcraft in nearly a decade though, I hope there's some noob-friendly rooms in here. :p

I'm a noob and am willing to play some noob friendly games with you if you'd like. I've only played a few matches.

jett

D-Member
MisterAnderson said:
I'm a noob and am willing to play some noob friendly games with you if you'd like. I've only played a few matches.

Sure man, I just got destroyed in a "practice match". :p

Milabrega said:
You need to have upgraded Zealots atleast +1 with charge vs MMM balls and yeah sentry shield, maybe a colossi or two, support stalkers, maybe some phoenix to take out the medivacs....

Fucking MMM.

Pretty much this. Only other options are Templar (which usually take longer to get), or going for mass Immortals but only if he is light on the marines.

Collossi are good but I find them much too fragile so i don't make them often. Its weird because they have some of the highest HP in the game I think.

The more I play the more I think Sentries are the most critical Protoss unit. I always have at least 3-4 of them

DurielBlack said:
Pretty much this. Only other options are Templar (which usually take longer to get), or going for mass Immortals but only if he is light on the marines.

Collossi are good but I find them much too fragile so i don't make them often. Its weird because they have some of the highest HP in the game I think.

The more I play the more I think Sentries are the most critical Protoss unit. I always have at least 3-4 of them

Wuh - How do templars take longer to get them Collosus?

Their build time is shorter at warp gate and require 2 additional buildings after Cyb Core like Collosus does - But have shorter build times then them

nilbog21 said:
sad part is u prob got 3 stocked up :p

Actually 2 irl friends are using 1...

And Zzorram from GAF is using another.. so no Im actually generous.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Well.. just got my FOURTH beta key..

:lol

How are you getting all these keys? Is Blizzard beta emails like...glitched and sending you more than one? Or do you have some magical way of getting them?

jett said:
Sure man, I just got destroyed in a "practice match". :p

Add me if you want, VertigoII.vince

Won

Did 2 practice games. Probably the worst thing Blizz ever has done. I guess I gonna skip that stuff and learn it the hard way. :lol

chris-013

MisterAnderson said:
That would explain it, heh. And to whoever suggested fast robotics to get stalkers + immortals, thanks. Just won against a Terran player trying marine + marauder against me.

aznpxdd said:

It was me who suggested fast robotics to get stalkers + immortals.
And yes this strat works against Marauders and Marines only ! If you add Medivac it's another story.

The micro is very important too, if you win this fight maybe you have a better micro than your opponent.

Here a replay who illustrate that

pass : sc2replays

Anyways, I think I found my favorite race : Terran !
Solid and versatile and I love EMP against protoss ^^

Yaweee

Noooooooooooooo, my RL connection fell through (he gave his to his brother). He offered to let me play on his account whenever, but I'm not sure what the policy is on account sharing, or what measures Blizzard takes to detecting it (we live over an hour away, so I guess IP-address screwiness would be easy to figure out?)

EDIT: Will trying to log into somebody's account while it is in use result in that player being disconnected, like it works in WoW?

Zzoram

LaneDS said:
Is there anyway to create a second profile, or delete the one you made originally? I (a) don't like the identifier I gave myself and (b) suck horribly and would rather play under a different alias until I feel alright at the game.

Doesn't seem to be an option for that though, am I missing something?

Retail release will only allow 1 identifier per account.

The beta is going to reset all the ladders and identifiers soon to simulate a launch, so you'll have a chance to change it before retail.

Zzoram

TurtleSnatcher said:
Actually 2 irl friends are using 1...

And Zzorram from GAF is using another.. so no Im actually generous.

Very generous!

How did you get 4 keys anyways? *nvm answered below

sorry, forgot the name has something after it.

ID: WonkyPanda.gabe

As a toss, I also am having trouble against MMM. I guess, as suggested, the best bet is to turtle till tier 2 and start pumping tempsv (dark or high?) and get colossi. If that's the case, are immortals and an early robo a bad strat against MMM since they seem to eat immortals up? Is it best to just hold the fort with a few turrets and zealots/stalkers with possibly zealot speed?

Won

Played my first placement match. Much better. Showed me that I don't know anything about SC2 yet. Need to figure out how to crack a turtling Terran soon! Still won though.......

aznpxdd

WonkyPanda said:
sorry, forgot the name has something after it.

ID: WonkyPanda.gabe

As a toss, I also am having trouble against MMM. I guess, as suggested, the best bet is to turtle till tier 2 and start pumping tempsv (dark or high?) and get colossi. If that's the case, are immortals and an early robo a bad strat against MMM since they seem to eat immortals up? Is it best to just hold the fort with a few turrets and zealots/stalkers with possibly zealot speed?

I think getting a couple of DT's out would be good for stalling their attack further. I remember any time the toss get DT in the first game, it always stall the terran from attacking before getting a mobile detector.

WonkyPanda said:

I just finally had a successful game against an MMM (at first it was just MM, later on it was MMM + Battlecruisers and Siege Tanks, but anyway...)

He started moving in with his force of 14 Marines and 4 Marauders...

110g28y.jpg

I had just expanded into the high yield mineral base at the bottom right of the map and only currently had 6 Zealots and 1 Stalker. Luckily they were stationed at the Xel'Naga watchtower outside of my base, putting me in perfect position to flank them:

3020vq1.jpg

I had taken the advice of someone in here to set up a bit of a choke point of cannons to help against MMM, and it helped a ton in setting this flank up as you can see in the screenshots I took:

anh5ja.jpg

x0tkax.jpg

2pqmm88.jpg

That opening attack Terrans have been doing to me EVERY game with Marines and Marauders have taken me out every time, so I was pretty happy when I finally thwarted their offense, and on top of that I didn't lose any of my units in that melee. The game got VERY close as he came back and dropshipped siege tanks and marines into my main base, effectively destroying it. I chose not to engage his force and instead started rebuilding RIGHT away at my high yield expansion, and continued to build my force. There were about 3 more battles before he ended up doing the same dropship tactic against my expansion, but luckily I had already expanded again and my force was once again safely outside of my base, close enough to his base to challenge his attack with an attack of my own. I caused him to retreat and try to fend off my assault, and I destroyed his force in the process. I have the replay saved, does anyone know how to like...upload it to youtube or whatever? It was a pretty damn close match.

Screens of the final standoff:

kdl7nn.jpg

k11ck.jpg

4r5p1f.jpg

21joqds.jpg

The replay file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1G2VI3HA

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
9 minutes in and thats all he had? :\

if you want to youtube it, you'll probably need some screencapture software like FRAPS or camtasia. free FRAPS only records up to 30 seconds i believe.

WonkyPanda said:
screw that, MU the actual file so i can watch that sucker!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is MU? And where is the file located? It said it was saved in the "multiplayer" folder but I can't find any such folder in the StarCraft 2 Beta directory.

aznpxdd

MisterAnderson said:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is MU? And where is the file located? It said it was saved in the "multiplayer" folder but I can't find any such folder in the StarCraft 2 Beta directory.

Megaupload.

You can find SC2 replays in my documents.

Raide

MisterAnderson said:

My docs I think.

just a quick note, I saw on one of the forums that part of the rational behind the friends invite is to get the stress testing for bnet/servers up to about 10,000 concurrently.

They hit that, they're happy; fall short, and they'll fire out some more passes (not sure if they'll be friend codes or 'new' invites).

perhaps those hanging out for keys should pray for a slow weekend on the beta....

(may have been posted previously, apologies if so)

dunno man, apparently everyone with a key except you or me are getting friend invites.

Also, off topic, but HOLE. EEE. SHIT. I was just reading this review of cnc4 from gamepro. I can't remember any other review that had me weeping, and just after reading the first two paragraphs no less.

Tying in to my earlier comment about how thankful I am for starcraft 2, it pains me to see the majority of the RTS world in such an exodus from what I consider the great tenets of a good RTS.

;-(

J-Rod

MisterAnderson said:
What is this friend invite thing I keep reading about? How does it work?

They sent existing beta members a key to invite a friend. It works just like adding a game to your battlenet account. You click add game and then enter the CD key(of sorts) and it adds the SCII beta to you games lists.

It seems like everyone goes Terran. I want to start working on another race, but I don't know a good build path to start with, and I know I am going to get bitched out DOTA style in 2v2 for sucking.

Top Bottom