• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
noisome07 said:
Any in particular?
Learn and follow a build to get you started.
You should see why it works because it sets up the rest of your game.

Also make units and spend your money. Make workers. Scout.

Do everything as fast as possible as soon as it enters your mind.
I was coaching my friend tonight in 2v2 and I just bugged him to make units and spend his money.

Ended up winning a 1v1.5 basically. Very proud.

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
Tonight was a mighty fine night.

DeltronZero (aznpxdd) and I finished placement.. then played a bunch of games and jumped from Rank 60 2v2 Platinum (where they placed us) to Rank 9 2v2 Platinum. :D

mint my other partner who I'm 2v2 Platinum with was with his brother and they are in the same Division at rank 13. Woot go GAF!

feels-good-head-0.png

Zzoram

noisome07 said:
So, does anyone want to teach me how to play? I've played about 5 games so far. Each one ending within 10 minutes or so. Completely dominated each game. I "get" the game, I guess you could say but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've played SC/BW in the past and put countless hours into other RTS's.

So... any help? =/

And yes I know, most will say "keep playing" but I just want some tips or maybe someone to play with that knows exactly what they're doing.

It's really all about attention. If you are spending too much time looking/thinking about any one thing, you're forgetting to do a bunch of other stuff. Once you get better at reminding yourself constantly to keep spending your money so it never goes above ~450minerals, and ideally stays below 150 for most of the early game, then you'll find yourself playing better. It's not physical hand speed that limits people, it's mental multitasking ability. Your hands can move much faster than they are, you just have to train your mind to think about more things.

You should make sure you know hotkeys well so you minimize clicks, since it's slower than using the keyboard.

If you're really stuck, it's better to pick 1 race than random, since it'll give you the consistency you need to practice your early game.

Man, I think im awful at this :lol

3-7 random 2v2 (bronze league)

5-6 2v2 with a friend

so far 4-3 with another friend in 2v2

All you people talking about going 10-0 and saying youre bad makes me a sad panda. I think my main problem is I don't use hotkeys at all - so when im fighting battles im not really building units at the same time. But it seems like everyone I play is really good, teching up to collosus/carriers within 6-7 minutes or is rushing with a crazy amount of units super early.

why is this game so haaard

Zzoram

Freakinchair said:

5-6 2v2 with a friend

All you people talking about going 10-0 and saying youre bad makes me a sad panda. I think my main problem is I don't use hotkeys at all - so when im fighting battles im not really building units at the same time. But it seems like everyone I play is really good, teching up to collosus/carriers within 6-7 minutes or is rushing with a crazy amount of units super early.

The fact that you're winning roughly half your games means you're doing pretty well. The game is certainly challenging, but that's a good thing. Always winning is how you get soft and weak. You need to lose a lot to toughen up, learn to prepare for popular strategies, and just overall improve your macro.

At the pro level, the best players only usually win ~60% of games, since the competition is so strong. Games wouldn't be fun to watch if they were too one-sided all the time, although the occasional stomp is funny.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Freakinchair said:

5-6 2v2 with a friend

Yeah if you were really bad you'd be winning 5% of your games :D

We say we are bad because we know how much we need to improve :)

Trasher

Just had a pretty epic game (for a couple of bad players lawl). I was Protoss and he was Zerg. Just as my natural expansion was coming up he got a Nydus in my main and killed everything with his Roaches and Lings. He threw out the "gg" and I gave him back a frowny face "gg :(", but I wasn't actually ready to give up. Luckily I had covered my ramp super well and had it all blocked. Moved all my Probes into my natural, and started throwing up cannons at the bottom of my choke and at the entrance to my natural. While I was still throwing up these cannons he came in with Mutas and killed all but three of my Probes. So I got a couple cannons to protect my mineral fields, and slowly began the process of building all my workers up. Meanwhile, all I have are four Zealots, and he is still waiting in my main up above the ramp with a decent force of Roaches and Lings, and then he starts getting a decent amount of Mutas accumulating up there as well. At this point I am quite pissed that he hasn't just finished me off, but it was really quite impossible for him to break my ramp. And this is where I think the game began to turn for me. While he had all those units waiting up in my main, I decided to start microing the crap out of this kid. I used those four Zealots and kept aggroing his units as much as possible and luring them towards my cannons that were at the bottom of my main's ramp. Each time I was able to get maybe one or two Roaches/Lings, and eventually I caught him at a bad time and wiped out a lot of his Mutas when he wasn't paying enough attention. I can't believe he never decided to hold position with his units. So while I keep up this pestering (pretty much every five seconds) my workers have started to get the cash flowing again. Next thing I know I have a bunch of Warpgates ready to go, and I finally start to build up a decent force of Stalkers and Zealots. Right at this point of the game my opponent finally makes what he thinks to be the final attack of the game. He brings a bunch of Lings to the entrance of my natural and at the same time he decides to attack from the top of my ramp with his force of Roaches/Lings/Mutas. The Lings all die within seconds to my cannons which have blocked off the entrance to my natural, and my Zealots plug up my ramp to prevent any roaches and lings to come in while my Stalkers and cannons snipe out all of his units. I lose a bunch of Zealots and I think a couple of cannons during the fight. At this point I am pretty stunned that I have successfully kept this guy at bay, and hoping that that was the majority of his forces I decide to move out and make my own attack. I get all the way to his natural with what remains of my units from the previous attack (which is around eight Stalkers and four Zealots) and start ripping it apart while he keeps throwing Lings at me every chance he gets. He eventually wipes that small army out, but in the meantime I have thrown up a proxy pylon right outside his natural and start warping in Zealots. I learned a nice lesson today: Zealots massacre Lings. I had just warped in six Zealots and he came at me with 24 Lings. The end result of that clash was five Zealots and zero Lings. I had also run out of minerals at this time over in my natural, and still thought I was going to lose because I figured this kid had been throwing up expansions all this time while I had been stuck in my natural for the majority of the game. At this point it was do or die for me so I just had to continue hitting him with my Zealots. So I killed his natural, killed his main base, and then found his third expansion and he left before I could finish it off.

Didn't mean to write so much, but I guess the bottom line is this: never give up in a game! Always fight until the very end. It was quite satisfying when he typed "gg" the SECOND time. :lol

Btw, I need to finally start taking a look at some build orders. I think I have played enough games now whereas I am a bit more comfortable with the hotkeys and tech trees.

Awesome story. It reminds me of one of my very first games of Starcraft 1, where I basically got wiped out by a Protoss who made carriers. I then retreated my probes, made a bunch of nexuses and proceeded to make 201945 cannons everywhere. Even though he had carriers and reavers he just couldn't breach it and he just left due to half an hour of frustration :lol

Is it ever not advantageous to turn Gateways into Warp Gates? The only thing I can think of, is that Gateways can be queued up, but if you're on top of your micro game I don't see why you wouldn't turn every Gateway you own into a Warp Gate. I only ask because I was spectating a game a few hours ago and saw someone not turn all their Gateways into Warp Gates. Maybe he just forgot?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
my eyeballs hurt. ;_;

so many games, many good ones!

gg's everyone.

eggsandbacon remember to youtube that replay. :D

and somebody send me the one where i hallucinated the collosus as i want to see the spectator commentary on that.

anderson: yeah warpgates are faster, esp with chrono boost. give up 5queue macro for faster units.

trasher: epic game! He obviously played kinda bad like you described but also there are a couple things he coulda done: he coulda straight up teched to brood lords or something just to counter the cannons easily, and not only was his ling micro/whatever the hell he was doing terribad if he only killed one lot with 24 lings but also if he had bought 1 zerg armor then each zealot takes 3 hits to kill a ling vs 2 hits with no armor.

You just were the better player that you got almost taken out by some preliminary moves he made but you still came back and showed him whats what.

blizzard, you have wronged me for the last time in this godforsaken beta. observer chat is not saved in replays.

i'm gonna go stab myself in the eyeballs now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I downloaded some maps in order to watch certain replays.

Where do I plunk the newly downloaded maps in? The map folder?

Trasher

Ice Monkey said:
anderson: yeah warpgates are faster, esp with chrono boost. give up 5queue macro for faster units.

trasher: epic game! He obviously played kinda bad like you described but also there are a couple things he coulda done: he coulda straight up teched to brood lords or something just to counter the cannons easily, and not only was his ling micro/whatever the hell he was doing terribad if he only killed one lot with 24 lings but also if he had bought 1 zerg armor then each zealot takes 3 hits to kill a ling vs 2 hits with no armor.

You just were the better player that you got almost taken out by some preliminary moves he made but you still came back and showed him whats what.
My macro may suck right now, but my micro is good, and I'm pretty sure that's what won me the game haha. I think I have played like 6 games now and have won half of them. Things are starting to come together a little bit though. Still trying to break out of that Starcraft 1 mindset. It's hard. :(

Btw, just added a handful of you to my friends list. It's so empty. :( Hit me up if you want: trasher.trasher

Wedge7

Well, another *fun* night, well, sorta, not really.

Played about 25 games, and lost more than I won, so my record is overal 32-35.

Heres the thing that really irritated me though, out of the 25 matches I played, 17!!? of them were TvT. Godamnit. The matchup I hated the most in SC1, and its the same as in SC2. I think someone made the comment that TvT is probably the closest matchup that stayed the same in the sequel, and its true. Long tank lines, constant random drops, god, once in a while its fine, but honestly, alot of the time I would go TvT 4 times in a row, play a random Z/P, and then another 3 TvT in a row, it was ridiculous.

It was also kinda random, as it happened like twice where I played the exact same guy twice. There was a funny moment when I cheesed the dude in the previous match in TvT, essentially rushing him all-in with marines/scv and brute forced thru his choke and killed him as he was teching to tanks, he started cussing me out and bitching and then promptly quit. Imagine my surprise when I was matched up with again like 20 seconds later. I lol'ed inside when I opened with my customary "Heya gl" and he replied "Fuck you cheeser" I ended up winning that game, played pretty standard.

Overall, fun again, just for the love of god, no more TvT.

Paz

The competition level in 2v2 is pretty bad at the moment, started a team with the friend I invited and we are now rank 2 platinum after one day of playing with random race and building stupid stuff every game...

Won a bunch of games with straight tech to colossus and lifting off at the start to move to high yeild minerals, just dumb shit. Best one was against a 'favored' team we expanded 4 times each before building any units and proceeding to win with 15 hatcheries producing ultralisks and zerglings against carriers lol.

1v1 competition is pretty good right now though, seems like a lot of skilled players got keys with the friend invites. Having a tough time with top 8 in my plat division.

Still unhappy that blizzard has created a hybrid of Command and Conquer/Starcraft :( Unit type and amount are really all that matters, micro is almost irrelevant compared to SC1/WC3.

Apath

Ice Monkey said:
blizzard, you have wronged me for the last time in this godforsaken beta. observer chat is not saved in replays.

i'm gonna go stab myself in the eyeballs now.
:lol Were you commentating a game or something?

Speaking of, Blizzard needs to add a way to see enemy chatter in replays >=[ (probably would be kinda unethical though w/e)

And to whoever asked who they watch or whatever (I saw someone mention Husky and HD), I watch BlizShouter. He updates really often, and he's slowly edged out HD as my main source for SC2 videos.

chris-013

Shit... I played too much games.
27 win, 26 loss, ~50% ratio and 1st on the copper league.
I was in the bronze league yesterday but after 5-6 loss they switched me in the copper league but I don't know when I will go back in the upper league. :/

V_Arnold

Got in the beta today,
3-1 (Win/loss) on practice, well, people just left every now and then, and it did not feel right even if I was a total noob when this game came out 10+ years ago. I was also young and did not really think ahead, did not even try.

Now, after years of training in Go, and my last year dedicated to SFIV, I have to say those games tought me how to predict, double-triple predict ahead, and while I am currently one won and one lost in the placement league (or what is its name), the last game was awesome.

The game FEELS so fresh, even if it is built on the same principles what made the first Starcraft so awesome. Every little change, every little detail added is awesome, and it makes you feel more in control. Also, I noticed turtling is really not an option. I meet one turtler so far, and me, the total n00b could destroy him easily, just because he kept rebuilding the same defenses while I was already thinking about how I could lure his force out to my sieges.

I am so gonna learn this game.... love it. Never aim to be a pro, but want to be good in this game. Winning feels rewarding, losses are always because I simpy made more mistakes than my enemy...

Salutations, Blizzard. You just got yourself a day one consumer. And yeah, Ill even keep my wow subscription, to honor this :p

mint

Banned
Aghh that last game I played..I felt like I could've won that one..but playing at 4am and not building good counters lost me that:(

Always always build missle turrets!!

Mik2121

For someone who's not played SC2 yet.. could you guys briefly explain what are those leagues you all talk about?.

Are there ranks in Battle.net that applies to everybody? Or it's some sort of competition/tournament?

mint

Banned
Mik2121 said:
For someone who's not played SC2 yet.. could you guys briefly explain what are those leagues you all talk about?.

Are there ranks in Battle.net that applies to everybody? Or it's some sort of competition/tournament?
Yup, once you log onto bnet you play 10 placement matches for 1v1 or 2v2, then you will be ranked from copper, bronze, silver, gold, and plat (lowest to top). There are many, many divisions..its not one copper or one platinum league. If you play well enough you may move up another league.

mint

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Tonight was a mighty fine night.

DeltronZero (aznpxdd) and I finished placement.. then played a bunch of games and jumped from Rank 60 2v2 Platinum (where they placed us) to Rank 9 2v2 Platinum. :D

mint my other partner who I'm 2v2 Platinum with was with his brother and they are in the same Division at rank 13. Woot go GAF!
Well now we're ranked 17 and you're 15. All that will change once my brother and I get a chance to play together :p

lol WEDGE! :lol

easy way to avoid TvT. watch out, spoiler! don't play as T!

Oh and I'm getting rather tired of people saying micro doesn't matter in SC2. Only reason that may be semi-true is because they fixed the pathing so effing freaking well. Dancing is still effective! Saving particular units like burrowing roaches when they are about to die is still effective! You'll still lose more mutas than necessary if you just send them in and don't, say it with me, MICRO them away constantly!

Just because there's no buggy vulture hax that require good micro to get off pot shots, just because mutas now don't stack and require insane micro to keep together and no science vessels to cause said mutas to not all die at once unless you use micro doesn't mean there's no micro!

I somewhat understand the trepidation, but it would be like telling blizzard "perfect pathfinding is not reminiscent of starcraft or wc3, so please purposely hinder your game!"

Corum

Ice Monkey said:

Oh and I'm getting rather tired of people saying micro doesn't matter in SC2. Only reason that may be semi-true is because they fixed the pathing so effing freaking well. Dancing is still effective! Saving particular units like burrowing roaches when they are about to die is still effective! You'll still lose more mutas than necessary if you just send them in and don't, say it with me, MICRO them away constantly!

Just because there's no buggy vulture hax that require good micro to get off pot shots, just because mutas now don't stack and require insane micro to keep together and no science vessels to cause said mutas to not all die at once unless you use micro doesn't mean there's no micro!

I somewhat understand the trepidation, but it would be like telling blizzard "perfect pathfinding is not reminiscent of starcraft or wc3, so please purposely hinder your game!"

I'm with you, after watching Blizshouter's 2v2 replays on YouTube his teammate Gifted relies on using Sentries and their abilities in almost every game; a strategically placed force field or two can turn the tide of a battle.

aznpxdd

Ice Monkey said:

Fuck micro. Its all about writing thesis.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Whenever.

Our rank...we fell to 15. WTF.

Looks like the SC2 servers are down - all the multiplayer features have disappeared. Wonder if custom matches still work...

In any case, im up for some games - but I'm not that good so don't expect high level play :lol

Ok, I've got a technical question for you guys.

I haven't played in a couple of weeks, sadly, but I did get a beta key email. I have a friend who has been looking forward to Starcraft 2 for a dozen years like myself, but at the moment the only PC he has is his work laptop (he has a Macbook for personal use). He says he could install it on the work laptop, but I asked him if he even had a dedicated graphics card on it.

He says it's a Quadro FX 770m. Is this decent enough to run the beta? I don't want to waste a key on him, and I told him that straight-up.

Zzoram

Freakinchair said:
Looks like the SC2 servers are down - all the multiplayer features have disappeared. Wonder if custom matches still work...

In any case, im up for some games - but I'm not that good so don't expect high level play :lol

Maybe they're doing the full stat wipe/reset/simulated launch today? Saturday would be a good time to do it, since more people are probably available to play during the weekend.

CajoleJuice said:
Ok, I've got a technical question for you guys.

I haven't played in a couple of weeks, sadly, but I did get a beta key email. I have a friend who has been looking forward to Starcraft 2 for a dozen years like myself, but at the moment the only PC he has is his work laptop (he has a Macbook for personal use). He says he could install it on the work laptop, but I asked him if he even had a dedicated graphics card on it.

He says it's a Quadro FX 770m. Is this decent enough to run the beta? I don't want to waste a key on him, and I told him that straight-up.
You could install the game on his laptop on your account to see how it runs.

mint

Banned
Zzoram said:
Maybe they're doing the full stat wipe/reset/simulated launch today? Saturday would be a good time to do it, since more people are probably available to play during the weekend.
I doubt it. On the headlines they say that they are experiencing server issues.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I almost like watching HDStarcraft and Husky commentaries as much as playing the game. And theyre so damn prolific with those vids, too! It's been the perfect way to sate my addiction while im working.

And the servers are down? Time to watch some more replays : O

Top Bottom