• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Wedge7

Halycon said:
Man, you guys are really quick to take the torch and pitchforks to mint huh?

Drama ASIDE.

The hell are you even talking about? Should we cut him some slack? I dont really understand what your implying, hackings no big deal eh?

I mean, its obvious he's hacking, I guess then you dont think its a problem. I would def. disagree.

Sloegr

Wedge7 said:
lol, I know exactly what you mean. Its basically who is more stubborn. I had a game recently where it was me and a toss. He basically proxy gateway'd me on Desert Oasis, and rushed and killed my whole base. While he was doing that I took my initial scouting scv that was idle in his base and just said fuck it, and built a barracks in there. I actually finished it and built enough marines to kill him off, but he had a few pylons remaining. Lifted off my buildings but had no minerals left.

Basically had 6 marines, and he had like 4 zealots. We met in the middle and he won the micro war, killing me and having 1 zealot remaining. Since he couldn't take down my flying building, we were both sorta screwed. I got pissy and told him I wasn't leaving, and he said the same. Basically fast forward like 6 hours later, and I alt tabbed back and the fucker still hadn't left. It was getting late, so I grudgingly gave in and quit. That bastard.

His smug grin must have been epic.

Apath

Halycon said:
Man, you guys are really quick to take the torch and pitchforks to mint huh
I think it's hilarious. Can't wait for mint's return.
ElJuice said:
His smug grin must have been epic.
Welp he did technically win that final battle. I'd fucking leave the game on for weeks, just in spite of him :lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Wedge7 said:
The hell are you even talking about? Should we cut him some slack? I dont really understand what your implying, hackings no big deal eh?

I mean, its obvious he's hacking, I guess then you dont think its a problem. I would def. disagree.
i said it in the online thread and i'll say it here

lets at least wait for mint to respond to these allegations. the evidence seems fairly conclusive at this point, but i think it's only fair that we wait to see what he has to say for himself before we ostracize him completely.

if he either never responds, or is unable refute the claims then go for your life with the pitchforks. maybe a mod will see it fit to give him a tag informing the GAF community of his cheating ways...

but i'd like to at least hear his side of the story first.

Apath

Scrow said:

lets at least wait for mint to respond to these allegations. the evidence seems fairly conclusive at this point, but i think it's only fair that we wait to see what he has to say for himself before we ostracize him completely.

if he either never responds, or is unable refute the claims then go for your life with the pitchforks. maybe a mod will see it fit to give him a tag informing the GAF community of his cheating ways...

Yeah, I'd actually feel bad if he got banned, just because he used a map hack in a friendly match. But that's just me.
Pandaman said:
I love HD Starcraft :D

Very interesting match.
And the first time I've actually seen phoenixes used effectively. Still seem too weak though =P

Wedge7

Scrow said:

Fair enough man, I admit I may have been slightly over-zealous. I suppose I got caught up in all the excitement, and may have come across kinda rudely. I'm a junior so I gotta be sorta careful as well, so I dont quite know my way around. My apologies honestly, its just a topic thats always sorta bothered me.

sasimirobot

Map hacking is so wack, I can't see how anyone older than 12 could even think about doing it.
What a waste of time and energy for everyone involved...
just add this button to your keyboard and get it over with loser
371944179_90fdf9690d.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kenak said:
Yeah, I'd actually feel bad if he got banned, just because he used a map hack in a friendly match. But that's just me.

People have been perma'd for much less.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TurtleSnatcher said:
Scout em early.. dont see buildings.. holy shit then switch ideas and turtle up.. then tech up to something that will rape em... or continue with lings and turtle in but get speed.. then go straight for scvs since they obviously have shit at their town.

Thats how Deltron and I hold that stuff back But yes its tough.

EDIT: To add.. sometimes when I'm using zlings at their town they will try to save themselves.. This is when Deltron comes in and rapes the proxy.
Good point, I should've just massed speedlings and hit their Nexuses (Nexi?)
Map hacking is so wack, I can't see how anyone older than 12 could even think about doing it.
What a waste of time and energy for everyone involved...
just add this button to your keyboard and get it over with loser
This is a bit silly, I guess if you partner has Observers out then it means autowin for you?

There's still a whole lot of stuff to do even if you can see someone's shit. Maphack only makes a difference when players are around the same skill ballpark.

I suggest everyone take a deep breath and relax and let mint come in to try to justify his action/defend himself. At this rate you guys will be forming a mob to storm his house yelling "SENTRY THIS YOU CHEATING SON OF A BITCH!"

ZealousD

Scrow, I can't imagine that he'd come back to respond. He'd just dig himself a bigger hole. In fact, it was his initial reply to the allegations that became the most damning evidence against him.

ZealousD

Kenak said:
Doesn't mean I'd endorse it or feel any less bad though :(

Honestly, the fact that it WAS a friendly match makes it worse to me. The end result isn't suppose to mean anything, we weren't doing a competition or anything. He was simply cheating as some sort of stupid ego boost. Like he wanted to be seen as "the best" in our little circle or something. Tch.

I've noticed that my APM during GAF matches is actually a bit lower than when I was in my placement matches. That's likely partly to do with the fact that I don't really care as much about winning or losing in a GAF match.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TurtleSnatcher said:
Maybe thats why he kept loggin in and out in and out in and out after Deltron and I left.. and I'm guessing thats when you had your game Panda...
it was before but i wasnt going to say anything until i had a chance to look over the replay.

Apath

ZealousD said:
Honestly, the fact that it WAS a friendly match makes it worse to me. The end result isn't suppose to mean anything, we weren't doing a competition or anything. He was simply cheating as some sort of stupid ego boost. Like he wanted to be seen as "the best" in our little circle or something. Tch.

I've noticed that my APM during GAF matches is actually a bit lower than when I was in my placement matches. That's likely partly to do with the fact that I don't really care as much about winning or losing in a GAF match.
As I said, that's just me. I'm pretty sympathetic when I'm on the outside, but pretty vindictive when I'm actually involved.

Can't wait for the game to come out and we can actually hold tournaments. Or just me getting a key so I can participate. Good times ahead!

Pandaman said:
it was before but i wasnt going to say anything until i had a chance to look over the replay.
Before? Before your game with him??

Oh and Phoenixs in numbers is lethal damn.. (Prob not so much vs a terran though)

Kenak said:
As I said, that's just me. I'm pretty sympathetic when I'm on the outside, but pretty vindictive when I'm actually involved.

Can't wait for the game to come out and we can actually hold tournaments. Or just me getting a key so I can participate. Good times ahead!

Thougth you had a weak pc?

Trasher

So like Haly said, he and I did our 2v2 placement and we went 7-3. I played Protoss and he played Zerg. Got placed in Bronze. Won 6 in a row, then lost 3 in a row, and won our last game.

Our first loss we should have won though except I screwed up a bit. Haly was taken out rather early. We were up against two Zerg players by the way. I had walled off at my expansion though (on Lost Temple) and was pretty much impenetrable to Roaches. What happened was I kept holding off Nydus Canal attacks in my base (I think it was like three or four different times that they tried it on me), and then eventually the one Zerg player teched to Mutalisks and he began pestering my workers/base with those. Eventually I grew tired of that crap, and by this time I had accumulated a fairly large army which included Zealots/Stalkers/Colossi/Immortals/Sentries, so I decided to do eye for an eye with my opponents. I knew that if I waited around the guy with the Mutas would eventually wear me down, and I was also running out of resources. So I moved out and easily wiped out the one Zerg player's base/army, and of course as this was going on the other Zerg player was ripping my base up with his Mutas. It was pretty much a race at this point, and this is where I screwed up. I had just started pounding the other Zerg player's base when Haly typed in "build some extractors." Problem was I was way too focused on microing my army that I didn't know what he meant, and I failed to notice the message until the very last second when I finally realized my mistake. I had actually brought a probe with my army, but I couldn't find him as I frantically looked through all my units. So I took a probe back at my base and threw up a Nexus and Pylon real quick. Unfortunately it was too late though, and it was quite easy for the Mutas to make a sweep of my base quick and find my two remaining buildings. It's too bad too because I had the better army. If I had had another 30 seconds that Zerg player's base would have been flattened out.

Lesson learned from this game: when eye for an eye'ing MAKE SURE I bring a probe with me to make some buildings. And the other lesson I should probably take away from that game as well is to USE HOTKEYS. I'm still not making it a habit, and it has finally hurt me. If I had hotkeyed my probe separate from my army then I wouldn't have had to scramble around looking for one. Any tips for a good hotkey setup?

So that was our first loss. Our second loss (I think it was second, but maybe it was the third) was to two Terran players. This was the first time all night that we had actually had to play against Terran. Bottom line of that game was we got out-macroed. We lasted quite a while, but pretty much lost every major engagement. Was hard to combat MMM/BCs/Tanks/Ravens. This was also the only game where I tried sniping out bases with some Void Rays. Worked on them at first, but they eventually started throwing up lots of Turrets. Definitely got outplayed in that game.

And then Haly mentioned it earlier that our third loss came from two Protoss players that utilized the proxy strategy. So in the end I feel like we only got outplayed in two games (if you count the proxy strategy as being "outplayed" lol). Ugh, I now know what you all are frustrated about when you talk about proxies. :lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Pandaman said:
makes me sad watching that, knowing that i will never be able to match that sort of micro and multi-tasking.

awesome match though.

on an unrelated note, does anyone find it strange that Zerg has no unit that can cloak AND attack? terran have ghosts and banshees. protoss have DTs and can cloak units under a mothership.

but the zerg have nothing in that regard. yes, most (all?) of their units can burrow, but none of them can attack while burrowed. to me it feels like the removal of the lurker has left a big gap in the zerg forces.

am i the only one that feels this is an important role missing for the zerg?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel a bigger problem as zerg is DEALING with cloakers. Sure you can make an Overseer on the spot but that takes time, and they are very vulnerable. Moreover, you need an upgrade in order for your overseer to keep in line with all your other guys. As far as I can tell, the only unit Overseers are really effective against are roaches.

Protoss has quick, cheap truesight in the form of observers. They come with their own cloaking field so you only need to worry about them in a head on fight against terran. They're also small and hard to focus fire if the armies involved are very large. Terran has orbital command for sweeping. Although temporary, it's pretty much an uncounterable form of truesight (i don't consider moving away as a counter because they all share that weakness.) It's much easier to kill an overseer in battle, or even an observer, than an OC all the way on the other side of the map.

I do miss lurkers though, and I feel like I'm sorely missing an AoE option against Mass MMM. Banelings don't cut it because you really have to coddle them and one scan and your pretty baneling trap is gone.

Trasher

Scrow said:
makes me sad watching that, knowing that i will never be able to match that sort of micro and multi-tasking.

awesome match though.

on an unrelated note, does anyone find it strange that Zerg has no unit that can cloak AND attack? terran have ghosts and banshees. protoss have DTs and can cloak units under a mothership.

but the zerg have nothing in that regard. yes, most (all?) of their units can burrow, but none of them can attack while burrowed. to me it feels like the removal of the lurker has left a big gap in the zerg forces.

am i the only one that feels this is an important role missing for the zerg?
I thought Roaches could.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Trasher said:
I thought Roaches could.
they can move while burrowed, but it has to be researched. i think infestors can also move while burrowed and have it by default. but neither of them can attack while burrowed.

edit: i suppose you could argue that banelings can "attack" while burrowed, since you can detonate them without unburrowing them, but i'm not sure that completely fulfils the role i'm referring to.

chris-013

Yesterday I got owned by a zerg in 3 min...
The zerg sent a drone in my base after about 30sec and then make a hatch in my base !
2 SCVs wasn't enough to kill it and then he was already over when he make zergs and her queen in my base ! 30 sec after 6 zergs was hitting my wall and that was the end. xD

How can I counter that ? Maybe use 6 SCVs to kill the hatch ? or do a better job with marine + SCVs shield to counter his zergs.

Anyway the level of play between copper and bronze league is like day and night.
I need to train a lot my timing to attack the opponent at the right time.
Yesterday I lost against a protoss after I killed 2 gateways and his 3 pylons and then psi storm, psi storm ! + hidden expansion and I was beat... xD

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
chris-013 said:
Yesterday I got owned by a zerg in 3 min...
The zerg sent a drone in my base after about 30sec and then make a hatch in my base !
2 SCVs wasn't enough to kill it and then he was already over when he make zergs and this queen in my base ! 30 sec after 6 zergs was hitting my wall and that was the end. xD

How can I counter that ? Maybe use 6 SCVs to kill the hatch ? or do a better job with marine + SCVs shield to counter his zergs.
put all your SCVs onto that hatchery to take it out. i imagine his game plan would unravel after that.

stormer

Halycon said:
Man, you guys are really quick to take the torch and pitchforks to mint huh?

Drama ASIDE.

Yea definitely things went sour fast haha

Either way I'd take mint as a sc2 partner over some of these condescending, smug players like turtle who post as if they know all.

edit* misunderstanding between me and turtle.. we cool now..

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I've noticed a common harassment strategy is to build Assimilators in my base with a scouting Probe. Was that common in SC1 competition or is it a new thing?

Minsc

Gold Member
stormer said:

Either way I'd take mint as a sc2 partner over some of these condescending, smug players like turtle who post as if they know all.

Why would you ever take someone who's all-but-admitted to cheating as a partner? The evidence is about as damning as it gets. I'd sooner play 1 vs 2 by myself than partner with a cheater.

Meeru

Banned
Just got the beta and learning how to play Terran! :D I don't really want to play with you gaffers until im semi-decent :lol

aznpxdd

ahoyhoy said:
I've noticed a common harassment strategy is to build Assimilators in my base with a scouting Probe. Was that common in SC1 competition or is it a new thing?

Not in pro play, but you see it from time to time in a regular game. But, this harassing strat doesn't really work in SC2 since you always start out with 2 gas anyways...

hobart

Just got hooked up with a key. When I get it properly set up and installed... will be adding to the "list."

I'm going to be on a lot. My times are generally 12am - 3am EST. Perfect for you West Coasters... maybe a little too late for my fellow East Coasters.

I haven't played SC1 in AGES. I'm handling this game like it's my first time to the series. Looking forward to seeing you guys in game :)

stormer

Minsc said:
Why would you ever take someone who's all-but-admitted to cheating as a partner? The evidence is about as damning as it gets. I'd sooner play 1 vs 2 by myself than partner with a cheater.

Ever have a partner that's so annoying, telling you what to do? while not paying attention to their own units, not letting you in on their plans, can't understand basic team work?
I'd much rather walk into their base with my men and take off allied mode.

YourMaster

aznpxdd said:
Not in pro play, but you see it from time to time in a regular game. But, this harassing strat doesn't really work in SC2 since you always start out with 2 gas anyways...

You see it in pro play too.

Trasher

It kind of surprises me how quickly everyone on here is jumping at mint's throat. I've played HoN with the guy and have talked to him quite a bit, and he's always been really cool. At least give him the chance to respond to all of this. Yes, it really sucks that people hack and I hate it too. Some of you are seeming to take this quite personal though.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
stormer said:

Of course you would. He cheats!!!! Think of the advantage your team would have over the opposition, LOL! :D

stormer said:

Sorry I didn't give you a key.. But because I didn't give you one doesn't mean you can call me 'smug'

34hf243.jpg

1zx387.jpg

197eoz.jpg

28tiek0.jpg

Trasher

stormer said:

What??? He doesn't come off that way at all. Seems to be quite helpful actually.

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
Sorry I didn't give you a key.. But because I didn't give you one doesn't mean you can call me 'smug'

http://i40.tinypic.com/34hf243.jpg[/img
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/1zx387.jpg[/img
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/197eoz.jpg[/img
[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/28tiek0.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

:lol :lol :lol

Someone's bitter.

---

Honestly, I'm expecting the number of map hackers in SC2 to be higher than SC's. Ranked games will bring out the worse in a lot of people. *cough* proxy *cough*

Oh my things are getting nasty in here.

Map Hacking is lame if it happened. Why on earth would anyone ever do that in this community? Do they know who they're dealing with? :lol

NOOOOO mila i wanted to be the one who said that.

I'm surprised it took this long for us to find him out. That's really sad ;(

Although good news everyone! Apparently I am the best gaf SC2 player because EVERYONE ELSE MAPHACKS muah hah hah. EG(G)O RESTORED!

Top Bottom