• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Apath

Um I'm 90% sure the game announces that a nuclear launch has been detected. Every game I see a nuke used in, the opposing player starts a mad scramble to find it and minimalist damage.

Kenak said:
Um I'm 90% sure the game announces that a nuclear launch has been detected. Every game I see a nuke used in, the opposing player starts a mad scramble to find it and minimalist damage.
Thats what i thought, but I'm pretty sure i didn't hear it. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle of everything else, as in the giant fights, but whatever.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kenak said:
I hope it averages back down to 5000 so they have to send out moar keys >=[
The whole point of sending out those friend keys is to make lasting players.
The numbers more than doubled so it seems to be working, we'll see after this week though.

FromTheFuture said:
Thats what i thought, but I'm pretty sure i didn't hear it. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle of everything else, as in the giant fights, but whatever.

Only time I have had nukes come down on me I didn't hear/see anything because I was in the middle of a fight. Only reason I was able to dodge my probes out of the way was because I happened to go back to the base for a moment to queue up pylons and saw a red dot on my nexus. :lol

Also not everyone plays with sound, so they need a better visual cue IMO. (I can't stand playing without sound, but I have a friend that almost always has his off so he can watch TV)

Any good recent narrated replays I should watch?

HDStarCraft is a pretty good source but there are so many out there, I want to watch a quality match!

(only matches including Terran, please)

Cheeto

I broke down and purchased a key... $55... but I plan on making the most of it! When me and the misses are done watching this movie I'm going to be up all night learning to play.

The Lamonster said:
Any good recent narrated replays I should watch?

HDStarCraft is a pretty good source but there are so many out there, I want to watch a quality match!

(only matches including Terran, please)
SC2GGRise is commentating a few SC2 games, if you want to check him out on YouTube. I'm not sure who else from SC2GG is commentating, but everyone from there is great. Also, look around on TeamLiquid, I'm seeing quite a few commentaries there, though i can't think of any in specifics.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cheeto said:
I broke down and purchased a key... $55... but I plan on making the most of it! When me and the misses are done watching this movie I'm going to be up all night learning to play.
Not a bad price. Glad everything went ok.

nilbog21

Banned
woot made top 8, still not realy sure wat this means
sngaye.jpg

prob only 2 of those games were actually good D;

nilbog21 said:
woot made top 8, still not realy sure wat this means
sngaye.jpg

prob only 2 of those games were actually good D;
Wow..

Your #1 is 1483?

Me and DeltronZero have like 200-300 more pts then that and we arent top 10 in our division :lol

Shred0r

Banned
So buying a key goes ok and selling one is deemed condemnable...whatever, point is, since all the friend invite keys seem to be all over the place now on ebay, the prize for one key got so inflated by the amount of supply that is has gone withing one week from 90€ down to 40€. Market rules apply here as always...

So, back on topic: If i wanna go cheap and fast, should i gonna go for speedlings/banelings or just go straight hydra-massing to be able to counter air units? Or avoid hyrda build totally and complement zerklings with mutalisks?

Still have to learn all the zerg units as i havent played much yet.
I remember how i once messed around with my brother many years ago when i played with him for the first time on a huge air map consisting of only many little islands. What did i do? Well, build a mass fleet of terrors and occupied almost all islands with them. Air superiority³. Literally the whole air was contaminated with terrors pushing him back to his little home island to economically die a slow death and dry out. Man, that was funny and i felt dirty.
But the next time we did such a map he leaned his lesson...

Shred0r said:
So buying a key goes ok and selling one is deemed condemnable...whatever, point is, since all the friend invite keys seem to be all over the place now on ebay, the prize for one key got so inflated by the amount of supply that is has gone withing one week from 90€ down to 40€. Market rules apply here as always...
Congrats you took 1 persons post and assumed that was the mutual feeling across everyone?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
just played a ridiculous game where i was being hounded ALL GAME LONG while my partner kept doing my defense, i ended up surviving until the end... having a whole single viking on the battlefield and helped destroy the remaining bases :lol

stormer

Shred0r said:

why are you bitter? did you get banned for trying to sell on gaf or something..

anyway I almost broke down and bought a key twice.. but I was still hesitant to pull the trigger because of some principles I guess. But when I think about the time I waste watching youtube videos and reading discussions about game play when I could actually be playing.. I wonder if I'm being stubborn and should pay up ahh well..

Apath

Hazaro said:
The whole point of sending out those friend keys is to make lasting players.
The numbers more than doubled so it seems to be working, we'll see after this week though.
I know =P Just hoping that the levels drop again so they're forced to initiate another wave =D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The Lamonster said:
Is there a hotkey to do the Terran scanner sweep with the Orbital Command?
If you hover on anything it will tell you the hotkey.
TurtleSnatcher said:
Wow..

Your #1 is 1483?

Me and DeltronZero have like 200-300 more pts then that and we arent top 10 in our division :lol
New divisions are being made as more players get into plat since there can only be 100 per division. So all the higher # division are newer players.

*Anyone considering buying a key for ~$50 USD (Use american ebay for lower prices if you can, or craigslist) I'd say go for it if you really care about the game. Really really care. Like I do. :D

Apath

Hazaro said:
*Anyone considering buying a key for ~$50 USD (Use american ebay for lower prices if you can, or craigslist) I'd say go for it if you really care about the game. Really really care. Like I do. :D
That's actually really tempting =X If I actually had a decent computer up and running I'd probably do it.

mint said:
We're getting outplayed, definately. Maybe 2v2 is not my style..
Nah you are good in 2v2.

Honestly it all goes by the partner. If each other can communicate well and support eachother in varying roles. Thats what Deltron and I do! :D

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
so... has anyone had much experience using the sensor tower? you can get it fairly early once the engineering bay is up, but is it worth spending 125 minerals and 100 gas on a sensor tower so early in the game?

and if it's not worth getting early game, can it be justified mid or late game when your units should be out on the battlefield seeing what's going on anyway?

does it get much use? i'm having trouble finding a use for it.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
so are there multiple coppers? I've been sitting in the top ten of the copper league for the past two weeks with ab 150 wins 150 losses so far.

Apath

Kodiak said:
so are there multiple coppers? I've been sitting in the top ten of the copper league for the past two weeks with ab 150 wins 150 losses so far.
Multiple divisions? Sure. Multiple levels of the Copper league though? Not that I know of.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Scrow said:
so... has anyone had much experience using the sensor tower? you can get it fairly early once the engineering bay is up, but is it worth spending 125 minerals and 100 gas on a sensor tower so early in the game?

and if it's not worth getting early game, can it be justified mid or late game when your units should be out on the battlefield seeing what's going on anyway?

does it get much use? i'm having trouble finding a use for it.

its good for what it does, however it paints a bullseye to where you build it.... good for setting traps methinks (ie don't put it in your base)

Trasher

Getting better guys. Got placed into Bronze, but I've gotten into Silver and am about to break into Gold any minute here.

Pretty sure I got screwed in the placement games. :lol

Apath

Trasher said:
Getting better guys. Got placed into Bronze, but I've gotten into Silver and am about to break into Gold any minute here.

Maybe you've just improved o_O

Arzehn

Trasher said:

I'm gonna be the opposite, I got placed in silver(1v1) but the way things are going I'm gonna drop to bronze!
Seems like I've been favored every match since I got placed into silver even though I've lost most of the time. =_=

7-3 in placements, and now I'm 12-12 overall. Why does it keep favoring me! Bah!

How you guys doing in 1v1?

Trasher

Kenak said:
Maybe you've just improved o_O
That is true, but not by much haha. It just seems weird to jump two leagues in not that many games. Most likely this is due to the small population of the Beta, and I am sure it won't be as easy when the game actually launches.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i have discovered definitive proof that mint can read minds.
6xvh9w.jpg

panda: hey look, forces in mid! epica!
mint: lol.
swuwsk.jpg

panda: im gonna drop on mint, im gonna drop on mint!
mint: foolish panda, i can see the code. I am the one!
2qxthtd.jpg

panda: lets gogogo!
52f384.jpg

mint: Je ne pense pas.
f57jo8.jpg

Mint: i'm in my base, waitin to kill your doods.
2yudpiv.jpg

panda: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
14bj4oy.jpg

panda: but sentrys would be visible on the map and i dont see em... oh fuck mint is in my head! GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHARLES!

to sum it up, mint scouted and countered a drop without ever scouting my base, seeing the dropships, scanning or building a sentry tower. the man is psychic. in image form:

panda:
wwck95.jpg

Mint:
21jzjv9.jpg

lol its funny how I dont know how to use any race but Zerg.

And lol @ Hellions being so awesome agst marines epsecially in masse with those upgrades. SO awesome.

Oh and Deltron and I are so good.. so so good. Won another 2 more ladder matches tonight. Back to the top 10 we go!

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
im really falling in love with terran. its amazing how poorly people are able to handle early collosi which leads to lots of crispy marines and lings. :D

and then void ray cheese and proxy pylons. oh this is my game of forever.

Apath

Pandaman said:
Lulz owned
:lol Maphacks
Kodiak said:
im really falling in love with terran. its amazing how poorly people are able to handle early collosi which leads to lots of crispy marines and lings. :D

and then void ray cheese and proxy pylons. oh this is my game of forever.
Wait, you love Protoss or Terran?

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
lol its funny how I dont know how to use any race but Zerg.

And lol @ Hellions being so awesome agst marines epsecially in masse with those upgrades. SO awesome.

Oh and Deltron and I are so good.. so so good. Won another 2 more ladder matches tonight. Back to the top 10 we go!

I think we've only been outplayed once. All our losses in Plat has been god damn proxies...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Finally finished my 1v1 placement matches tonight. Got placed into Bronze. Had a three losses in a row that taught me a very valuable lesson. If you think your opponent is teching up, don't try some sort of hybrid of teching and massing basic units. Your opponent will beat you to the higher tiers and he'll bring a hailstorm of whoopass onto your position.

Also, don't try to marine rush a Terran.

fanboi

Banned
So last night I finally was able to play for the first time...

AND DEAR GOD how I felt bad after watching all those replays (HDStarcraft and Husky...)

But won my first match, lost some, and won some (practice league).

Top Bottom