• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

stormer

Pandaman said:
33kd7jt.jpg

wow.. guess who got let into the club!!!

Turtle thank you so much man.. even though we got started off on the wrong
foot you are a much more humble person than I. Although I apologized to you
for misunderstandings and things blew over.. you really surprised me buddy.

Thanks * infinity!!! .. neogaf believe..

Trasher

darkressurection said:
Thanks, now to try and memorize this :D I am gonna have to make some SC II flash cards or something.
I have written down builds on pieces of paper that are close by for quick reference. :)

Dreavus

Now that I think of it, the opening minutes of SC reminds me of fighting games a tiny bit...

You CAN just fumble around and build stuff in a different/random order and timing every game, with inconsistent success (what I'm currently doing unfortunately. "I think I'll build my gas... ... now. :lol ), OR you can sit down and practice/learn timings and come up with a few really solid build orders and openings that are much more efficient. Reminds me of the relationship between button mashing and actually heading into training mode for a few hours.

Obviously completely different games, but the mindset required for both feels kind of similar.

Zzoram

Won said:
Maphacks normally exploit the fact that RTS are p2p. HoN isn't p2p. (though there was a maphack at one point I think)

Hope we see something from Mint. I was always curious about him. He regulary switched accounts in HoN. One of them had a ridicolous high DC rate always telling us to create a game without the "no leaver" filter. And he falls apart as a player pretty fast, if things don't go perfectly his way to the point, where he even ragequitted friendly GAF games. Just.....weird.

Seems like mint is a sore loser, exactly the type to look for maphacks.

Zzoram

Scrow said:
i said it in the online thread and i'll say it here

lets at least wait for mint to respond to these allegations. the evidence seems fairly conclusive at this point, but i think it's only fair that we wait to see what he has to say for himself before we ostracize him completely.

if he either never responds, or is unable refute the claims then go for your life with the pitchforks. maybe a mod will see it fit to give him a tag informing the GAF community of his cheating ways...

but i'd like to at least hear his side of the story first.

What is there to say? It's completely obvious that he maphacked. He deserves a cheater tag on his Battle.net account.

Zzoram

Kenak said:
Yeah, I'd actually feel bad if he got banned, just because he used a map hack in a friendly match. But that's just me.

There should be ZERO tolerance for hackers in an RTS. Hackers ruin the game, ruin any sense of competition, and especially ruin tournaments with prizes.

Milabrega

To all you map hack defenders, how do you feel about Auto-Aim in online FPS's? Just as kosher to you?

Besides we need something to talk about since there hasn't been any new info out of blizzard, patches/balance changes

stormer said:

Turtle thank you so much man.. even though we got started off on the wrong
foot you are a much more humble person than I. Although I apologized to you
for misunderstandings and things blew over.. you really surprised me buddy.

Thanks * infinity!!! .. neogaf believe..
No Prob. Looking forward to you joining our 2v2's of lawlz that we have with 10000 spectators.

Trasher

Milabrega said:
To all you map hack defenders, how do you feel about Auto-Aim in online FPS's? Just as kosher to you?

Besides we need something to talk about since there hasn't been any new info out of blizzard, patches/balance changes
Who in here is defending map hacking? :lol

The Lamonster said:
Thanks, I will check this out!
Be careful though. I think some of those may not be updated to the current patch.

TurtleSnatcher said:
No Prob. Looking forward to you joining our 2v2's of lawlz that we have with 10000 spectators.
I have yet to see or play with you Turtle! I think I added you though...

Zzoram

Scrow said:
makes me sad watching that, knowing that i will never be able to match that sort of micro and multi-tasking.

awesome match though.

on an unrelated note, does anyone find it strange that Zerg has no unit that can cloak AND attack? terran have ghosts and banshees. protoss have DTs and can cloak units under a mothership.

but the zerg have nothing in that regard. yes, most (all?) of their units can burrow, but none of them can attack while burrowed. to me it feels like the removal of the lurker has left a big gap in the zerg forces.

am i the only one that feels this is an important role missing for the zerg?

Yep. I never make detectors vs Zerg, while it's important to get a couple up against Terran/Protoss.

Milabrega said:
Speaking of, I have some questions.

Has Blizzard recently said anything about:

1) 3v3 in the beta?
2) Major upcoming patch changes in the beta?
3) Galaxy editor in the beta?
4) Blizzard-created custom games included in the retail package (DoTA, TD, etc)?
5) When to announce release date?

Trasher

The Lamonster said:

1) 3v3 in the beta?
4) Blizzard-created custom games included in the retail package (DoTA, TD, etc)?
I think it was confirmed that we won't see 3v3 or 4v4 in the beta. One thing that they did say is that they are going to reset the ranks soon. Not sure when though.

Zzoram

Milabrega said:

Cheating in any competitive game is awful and should be a bannable offense. I remember one day I was having a great time with a good group in a Counterstrike Source server, when a hacker joined and ruined it. He had super speed, so he could run to the other team's spawn and kill everyone before they could even move. He constantly did it so we couldn't even play. Good thing someone in the game knew an admin and called him in to ban that guy. That's why PC FPS without dedicated servers are bad, it means that when cheaters appear, no admin is readily available to ban him from ruining the game.

Milabrega

The Lamonster said:

1) 3v3 in the beta?

Recent interview said things like 3v3, 4v4, etc won't be coming in the beta.

Dota, TD that SHMUP from the blizzcon videos and a number of other titles are all going to be released in the retail package. Will likely see the return of some other SC/WC popular custom games like bunker D or elements.

The biggest major change coming to the beta is the Ladder reset, which doesn't have an official date but should be "soon". The announced release date should also be "soon".

traveler

Not Wario
I hope we at least get the Galaxy editor before beta ends. Most anticipated part of the game by far.

Pretty sure we won't even get a reply from mint at this point. His account page says he was online last just a while ago and that would have been after the maphacking had become clear. Didn't bother to respond though. This is also the longest this thread has gone without a post from him, I believe.

Zzoram

stormer said:
Yea definitely things went sour fast haha

Either way I'd take mint as a sc2 partner over some of these condescending, smug players like turtle who post as if they know all.

Hacker lover

and bitter key begger.

Milabrega said:
Recent interview said things like 3v3, 4v4, etc won't be coming in the beta.

Dota, TD that SHMUP from the blizzcon videos and a number of other titles are all going to be released in the retail package. Will likely see the return of some other SC/WC popular custom games like bunker D or elements.

The biggest major change coming to the beta is the Ladder reset, which doesn't have an official date but should be "soon". The announced release date should also be "soon".
ugh I'm so pumped. Definitely taking off a couple days work for release :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
stormer said:
was it you?

Guys lets lay off stormer. He apologized its all good and he now has a key. :)
yay! i guessed right!

@mila: that interview may have been mistranslated, as there has been talk about soon releasing a 4v4 map to the beta. 'course that doesn't neccassarily mean they'll allow 4v4 matchups though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
What is there to say? It's completely obvious that he maphacked. He deserves a cheater tag on his Battle.net account.

How would that work exactly I mean... wouldn't you feel a little suspicious if you lost to someone with a cheater tag on their account in a ranked game? I can't really see that going over too well, might as well just ban the account and get to the bottom of it. I'm not sure I'd even want to start the match if I got matched to a cheater.

Zzoram

TurtleSnatcher said:
Guys lets lay off stormer. He apologized its all good and he now has a key. :)

Ok, all good.

Back to Starcraft II, I feel like all Zerg especially lacks sufficient anti-air. I'd rather they make Mutalisks evolve into Broodlords (results in more natural transition, since Mutas are actually useful for their cost) and replace Corruptors with Scourge. Either that, or make Corruptors shoot Scourge (that can be shot down).

Milabrega

traveler said:
Pretty sure we won't even get a reply from mint at this point.

I doubt he's going to post in this thread, he just held a press event on this issue...

mint said:
Good morning. And thank you for joining me.

Many of you in the thread are my friends. Many of you in this thread know me. Many of you have cheered for me, or played with me, or supported me, and now, every one of you has good reason to be critical of me.

I want to say to each of you, simply, and directly, I am deeply sorry for my irresponsible and selfish behavior I engaged in.

I know people want to find out how I could be so selfish and so foolish. People want to know how I could have done these things to my brother, hana, and to my gaf friends. And while I have always tried to be a private person, there are some things I want to say.

Hana and I have started the process of discussing the damage caused by my behavior. As he pointed out to me, my real apology to him will not come in the form of words. It will come from my behavior over time. We have a lot to discuss. However, what we say to each other will remain between the two of us.

I am also aware of the pain my behavior has caused to those of you in this thread. I have let you down. I have let down my fans. For many of you, especially my friends, my behavior has been a personal disappointment. To those of you who play with me, I have let you down, personally and competitively. My behavior has caused considerable worry to my 2v2 partners.

To everyone involved in my HoN games, including my carries, feeders, sponsors, and most importantly, the noobs we reach, our work is more important than ever. Thirteen days ago, my ego and I envisioned helping noobs achieve their dreams through map hacking. This work remains unchanged and will continue to grow. From the map hacking Panda in Shakuras Plateau, to the all new gaffers in the friend invite wave, tens of gafer have changed their buddy lists, and I am dedicated to making sure that continues.

But, still, I know I have severely disappointed all of you. I have made you question who I am and how I have done the things I did. I am embarrassed that I have put you in this position. For all that I have done, I am so sorry. I have a lot to atone for.

Hana has shown enormous grace and poise throughout this ordeal. Hana deserves praise, not blame. The issue involved here was my repeated irresponsible behavior. I was dishonest. I had cheated. I cheated. What I did is not acceptable. And I am the only person to blame. I stopped living by the core values that I was taught to believe in.

I knew my actions were wrong. But I convinced myself that normal rules didn't apply. I never thought about who I was hurting. Instead, I thought only about myself. I ran straight through the boundaries that blizzard said we should play by. I thought I could get away with whatever I wanted to. I felt that I had worked hard my entire life and deserved to enjoy all the temptations around me. I felt I was entitled. Thanks to a beta key and ladder standings, I didn't have far -- didn't have to go far to find them.

I was wrong. I was foolish. I don't get to play by different rules. The same boundaries that apply to everyone apply to me. I brought this shame on myself. I hurt my brother, my gaf friends, my mother, my 2v2 partners, my HoN friends, my post history, and noobs all around the world who admired me.

I've had a lot of time to think about what I have done. My failures have made me look at myself in a way I never wanted to before. It is now up to me to make amends. And that starts by never repeating the mistakes I have made. It is up to me to start living a life of integrity.

I once heard -- and I believe it is true -- it's not what you achieve in life that matters, it is what you overcome. Achievements on battle.net are only part of setting an example. Character and decency are what really count. Gaffers used to point to me as a role model for the noobs. I owe all of those gaffers a special apology. I want to say to them that I am truly sorry.

As I proceed, I understand people have questions. I understand the gaming media wants me to -- to ask me for the details of the times I was hacking. I understand people want to know whether Hana and I will remain together. Please know that as far as I'm concerned, every one of these questions and answers is a matter between Hana and me. These are issues between brothers.

Some people have made up things that never happened. They said I used performance-enhancing drugs. This is completely and utterly false.

Some have written things about my family. Despite the damage I have done, I still believe it is right to shield my family from the public spotlight. They did not do these things. I did. I have always tried to maintain a private space for Hana. They have been kept separate from Gaf, HoN games, when I got caught cheating, Panda only released photographs and replays so they ... so that the mob could not chase them.

I recognize I have brought this on myself. And I know above all I am the one who needs to change. I owe it to my family to become a better person. I owe it to those closest to me to become a better man. That is where my focus will be. I have a lot of work to do. And I intend to dedicate myself to doing it.

As I move forward, I will continue to receive help because I have learned that is how people really do change. Starting tomorrow, I will leave for more treatment and more therapy.

That also means relying on others for help. I have learned to seek support from my peers in therapy, and I hope someday to return that support to others who are seeking help.

I do plan to return to Starcraft 2 one day. I just don't know when that day will be. I don't rule out that it will be this year. When I do return, I need to make my behavior more respectful of the game.

In recent weeks, I have received many thousands of e-mails, letters and phone calls from people expressing bad wishes. To everyone who has reached out to me and my family, fuck you. Your discouragement means the world tome. I want to thank the Blizzard, Neogaf and the players for their patience and understanding while I work on my private life. I look forward to seeing my fellow players on battle.net again one day.

Finally, there are many people in this thread and there are many people at home who believed in me. Today, I want to ask for your help. I ask you to find room in your hearts to one day play with me again. Thank you.

Zzoram

Minsc said:
How would that work exactly I mean... wouldn't you feel a little suspicious if you lost to someone with a cheater tag on their account in a ranked game? I can't really see that going over too well, might as well just ban the account and get to the bottom of it.

Hackers SHOULD be banned, at least from Ladder/Tournament games.

Minsc said:
How would that work exactly I mean... wouldn't you feel a little suspicious if you lost to someone with a cheater tag on their account in a ranked game? I can't really see that going over too well, might as well just ban the account and get to the bottom of it. I'm not sure I'd even want to start the match if I got matched to a cheater.
Matchmaking making Cheaters play Cheaters only. Then that would be that :D

Everyone watching that phoenix video should realize the other protoss made just dumb mistakes, I hardly think it's something people could use on a regular basis with many wins.

Hey why is it people think it's so hard to micro spells and things in sc2? The game practically does all the hard work for you lol. Like in the old days on sc1 you would have to have a control group of ghosts, hit "L" for lockdown, select an enemy, shift click one of your ghosts wireframes to deselect it, hit "L" again and click another enemy, and so on. All this while your ghosts would have to be far away enough that they aren't all in range of actually casting the spell otherwise they would all shoot lockdown at the same unit! Now you just have your control group, lets say the phoenix, hit (i dunno "G" for gravity?) click a enemy unit and keep on hitting your hotkey since only 1 spell will go off at once. Easy peasy!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wedge7 said:
You jackass, I thought that was real.

Fooled me for a moment, too. :lol

But the "performance enhancing drugs" line is a pretty big tip off.

Zzoram

I just realized how segregated the Starcraft community is going to be now that there is no way for people across the ocean to play each other. In the past, everyone played on iccup together, but now US/EU/Asia won't be able to play each other due to the new ridgid Battle.net structure.

Trasher

Milabrega said:
I doubt he's going to post in this thread, he just held a press event on this issue...
lol dude. Right from the beginning I knew it was the Tiger thing, but I thought Mint had done that to make fun of the situation.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Orangepeel said:
Everyone watching that phoenix video should realize the other protoss made just dumb mistakes, I hardly think it's something people could use on a regular basis with many wins.
i think we all know its just a concept build, but i also think we were all expecting those stalkers to ravange the phoenixs, when he ran and the phoenixs lifted them all i was shocked it worked and worked with very few losses.

Come on, Guys. Mint was just beta testing the map hacks, so Blizzard can gather information.

Cheaters never cease to amaze me. Hacking in a closed beta has to be a new low. The worst part about the situation is the waste of Mint's beta key.

Sanjay

Cheeto said:
Wow, I wonder if he hacks HoN too

He does not hack in HoN.

I really dig this replay feature that shows how the gamer is viewing the game in his POV, more other RTS games should include this feature. Also would like to point out that people do this in Company of Heroes but thats because they look out to hear the sound as you can detect sound from that games fog of war to figure out what units they have.

Zzoram said:
I just realized how segregated the Starcraft community is going to be now that there is no way for people across the ocean to play each other. In the past, everyone played on iccup together, but now US/EU/Asia won't be able to play each other due to the new ridgid Battle.net structure.

What is this for the god damn console :mad: this is just damn right stupid.

Yaweee

Zzoram said:

People will hack it to run private servers eventually.

Cheeto

Sanjay said:
He does not hack in HoN.

I really dig this replay feature that shows how the gamer is viewing the game in his POV, more other RTS games should include this feature. Also would like to point out that people do this in Company of Heroes but thats because they look out to hear the sound as you can detect sound from that games fog of war to figure out what units they have.
CnC3 and I think RA3 still have the best replay features to this day. They allowed for all the camera options you get in SC2, but they also enable embedded or live commentary... so you could download a commentated replay and listen and follow the action without touching anything... complete with a telestrator for the John Madden wannabees. I think I read somewhere that EA has a patent on some of those things and that's why other games haven't picked it up...which really sucks since Starcraft has such an Esport following.

Meeru

Banned
It's amazing how hackers always find a way to mess up a game. I truly hope Blizzard does server side games to prevent hacking from happening. :( But I doubt that will happen.

BTW, whats a good build for terran? Ravens are pretty sweet. I love the turrets.

Top Bottom