• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Apath

fanboi said:
So last night I finally was able to play for the first time...

AND DEAR GOD how I felt bad after watching all those replays (HDStarcraft and Husky...)

But won my first match, lost some, and won some (practice league).
I decided to get back into WC3 after watching a lot of SC2 matches, and my God is my micro/macro horrible. I absolutely cannot control my army and base at the same time. I lose track of one when I do the other, and I have a horrible inability for selection the correct units at the correct time mid battle. I fear for my first SC2 match.
Pandaman said:
when mint isn't reading minds, his feline micro scills has apparently also allowed him to see in the dark:

what were you looking at, i wonder?

Seriously mint, its one thing to maphack, but maphacking in a friendly game on a beta? thats lolz tier.
The plot thickens!

fanboi

Banned
Kenak said:
I decided to get back into WC3 after watching a lot of SC2 matches, and my God is my micro/macro horrible. I absolutely cannot control my army and base at the same time. I lose track of one when I do the other, and I have a horrible inability for selection the correct units at the correct time mid battle. I fear for my first SC2 match.

The plot thickens!

Yeah... Same here, but I actually succeed in moved first in from left with Muttas, then storming the ramp with my land army... he didn't know what to do the poor fellow.

And he was only 14 and I felt like I was raping him.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Pandaman said:
Seriously mint, its one thing to maphack, but maphacking in a friendly game on a beta? thats lolz tier.

Wow.

Please upload this replay somewhere.

Wedge7

ZealousD said:
Wow.

Please upload this replay somewhere.

Yes please, I must admit, first I thought you were joking, screwing around, but those screenies are pretty damning. I think the beauty of replays is, as you obviously utilized, is that you can see what the player is looking at, and of course, certain suspicious actions are able to be seen and noticed.

If true, and I dont want to assume, thats pretty sad. I mean, fuck. Damn loser.

fanboi

Banned
Wait.

1) There is a maphack for the Beta?!
2) Someone is using this in a friendly game with gaffers?
3) Add me to the "I have the Beta" list. fanboi.gaf

Apath

eggandI said:
An interesting offer..
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390520
Wedge7 said:
Yes please, I must admit, first I thought you were joking, screwing around, but those screenies are pretty damning. I think the beauty of replays is, as you obviously utilized, is that you can see what the player is looking at, and of course, certain suspicious actions are able to be seen and noticed.

This won't truly enter the lulz tier until the accused makes his reappearance!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
can't wait for mint's response :D

it's going to be entertaining drama one way or another.

i just hope the thread doesn't get derailed.... mods, i'd like to request that you please standby ;)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Wedge7 said:

those are just the screens from before the drop too. since thats the thing that made me suspicious.

well actually, i was joking but i got suspicious when he 'explained' it away with sentry towers, apparently not knowing that sentry tower area of effect would be visible to me. I wondered why he would lie and checked the replay...

Apath

Pandaman said:
those are just the screens from before the drop too. since thats the thing that made me suspicious.

well actually, i was joking but i got suspicious when he 'explained' it away with sentry towers, apparently not knowing that sentry tower area of effect would be visible to me. I wondered why he would lie and checked the replay...
Just look at it this way: not even a month into beta and we already have our first appearance of DRAMA on StarGaf.

Pandaman said:

Uh... If it is your replay you can only see what you said to your ally.. so of course if you go to mints view you can see your conversation only and not his and his partners...

Dur..

EDIT: Oh we arent talking about conversations.. Just how he saw your units..

Well mint.. that would be interesting to know.

It was very similar to me bring units to his 2nd xpo and Panda you dropping his 2nd xpo/main but he had units there waiting :(

Apath

TurtleSnatcher said:
Uh... If it is your replay you can only see what you said to your ally.. so of course if you go to mints view you can see your conversation only and not his and his partners...

Dur..
?
He's talking about how he's looking at the fogged area of the map for prolonged moments, and then tracks panda's drop ship movements with no visibility. Unless I'm missing something.

Kenak said:
?
He's talking about how he's looking at the fogged area of the map for prolonged moments, and then tracks panda's drop ship movements with no visibility. Unless I'm missing something.

lol blizzpub.. you didnt respond to me earlier when I asked if you would play a lot.. Cuz I was trying to give a friend key out.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Kenak said:
?
it is.

it should also be noted that he had his units and his rally points in the center of his side of the map[visible to our xel'naga tower] for several minutes up until i moved the dropships, then suddenly he belines it to the back corner of his base and even looked at the spot where i was parked in the corner.

so its not like he poked his head out and ran back in as a bait.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone got some good tips for playing Terran? Seem to get my ass handed to me all the time no matter what race.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pandaman said:
when mint isn't reading minds, his feline micro scills has apparently also allowed him to see in the dark:

what were you looking at, i wonder?

DRAMA
VOOK said:
Anyone got some good tips for playing Terran? Seem to get my ass handed to me all the time no matter what race.
As a Terran you will probably be in the position to react to your enemy rather than pressure them into something (Unless you went reaper rush to make them get roaches (or mutas)).
Wall off, spend your minerals constantly. If you ever get over 800 slap down turrets / expo / barracks and keep it down. Reactor rax is fantastic to making that delicious DPS meat ball known as marines.

Tiny unit size + great DPS + range + Mineral only = Best damn unit in the game (Before they fix tanks more).

Is it just Terran, or just not doing so well at SC II?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
VOOK said:
well MMM seems to be all the rage these days :)

couple of barracks with reactors to pump out marines, a few more barracks with tech labs to pump out marauders, quickly tech to starports with reactors and start pumping out medics. research marine shield and stimpacks in the meantime. when you're ready send out your ball of MMMs and GG.

it's that easy.... apparently ;)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Scrow said:

couple of barracks with reactors to pump out marines, a few more barracks with tech labs to pump out marauders, quickly tech to starports with reactors and start pumping out medics. research marine shield and stimpacks in the meantime. when you're ready send out your ball of MMMs and GG.

It really is :lol
Just protect your marines with crap. Feels like Ultra + Ling honestly. (Use mards in front to slow / soak damage) Add in medivacs to constantly stim / drop 60 units into their main.

So good.

Scrow said:

Yeah it can be pretty goddamn hard to counter if Terran is allowed to accumulate a sizeable ball. That thing just chews shit up and spits it out.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TurtleSnatcher said:
if mint said "Sentry" towers then where are the rings? haha..
i asked him that in game. [recorded in the replay too, i think.]

a minute later he built one. :lol

Apath

Pandaman said:

do31bk.jpg

Elixtar

If you watch the replay file, it's fairly obvious he's maphacking. It removes all doubt.

I hope Blizz can reverse engineer the hacks before SC2 goes live to block them somehow.

ZealousD

Pandaman said:

Just before your second drop, he throws down three missle turrents in rapid succession. Couldn't be attributed to the sentry he built, since you loaded your medivacs outside its range.

Unbelievable.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Kenak said:
http://i42.tinypic.com/do31bk.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/my junk/Screenshot021.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/my junk/Screenshot023.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/my junk/Screenshot024.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/my junk/Screenshot025.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/FallenOneRaZe/my junk/Screenshot027.jpg
:lol
ain't it fine.

ZealousD said:
Just before your second drop, he throws down three missle turrents in rapid succession. Couldn't be attributed to the sentry he built, since you loaded your medivacs outside its range.

Unbelievable.
did you see me poke his sentry with one medivac soon after to see if it would provoke a response? eyes did roll.

Wedge7

mint said:
WE NEED AN OFFICIAL 2V2 NEOGAF TOURNAMENT!!!!

YEAAAA MAN!!

DO IT!

Godamn, you idiot.

Its funny looking back at some of his past quotes in the thread, how he's going on and on about his 2v2 games, and how he has great 'scouting' and 'teamwork' with his allies that allows him to spot incoming attacks and whatever. Jeez.

I think whats saddest is that he looks like he's pretty well versed in using the map hack, ala, obviously he made the brain dead moment where he tracked the medivacs, but he wasn't just looking straight at the base for long moments. Means he's probably been using it for a while.

Something I really hate is how damn lenient people are with hacking. Its like, guy gets caught hacking, has a bullshit little apology/reason, says he'll never do it again, or the best, he was just 'screwing' around and doing it for fun, and people are like 'Meh, thats cool, he learned his lesson'. I apologize for the emotion, but its always really bothered me. Playing years of counter-strike and original starcraft, hackers shit up online games, I suppose this is more of a douchebag move cause he's using it against people he actually knowns, as opposed to randoms.

fanboi

Banned
Wedge7 said:
YEAAAA MAN!!

DO IT!

Godamn, you idiot.

Its funny looking back at some of his past quotes in the thread, how he's going on and on about his 2v2 games, and how he has great 'scouting' and 'teamwork' with his allies that allows him to spot incoming attacks and whatever. Jeez.

I think whats saddest is that he looks like he's pretty well versed in using the map hack, ala, obviously he made the brain dead moment where he tracked the medivacs, but he wasn't just looking straight at the base for long moments. Means he's probably been using it for a while.

Something I really hate is how damn lenient people are with hacking. Its like, guy gets caught hacking, has a bullshit little apology/reason, says he'll never do it again, or the best, he was just 'screwing' around and doing it for fun, and people are like 'Meh, thats cool, he learned his lesson'. I apologize for the emotion, but its always really bothered me. Playing years of counter-strike and original starcraft, hackers shit up online games, I suppose this is more of a douchebag move cause he's using it against people he actually knowns, as opposed to randoms.

Well, he will be ignored on GAF anyway, or by the GAF SC2 players (hopefully?)

Apath

I'm just surprised people would actually risk it because:
a) It's a semi-exclusive Beta.
b) Your b.net account is pretty much all you have now. You can't just have a name shunned and make a new one.

Getting noticed by Blizzard and banned, or noticed in a community you are apart of and being shunned are pretty big draw backs to doing stupid things like this. I just hope no one here gave him a key.

*cries*

ZealousD

It's a fucking shame, because he's good enough on his own to win without map hacking.

He's certainly off my SC2 friends list and I hope he gets banned from GAF too.

Zzoram

Submit the replay to Blizzard, list in the description all the suspicious time stamps, and have his B.net account flagged as a hacker. Hopefully they'll also detect something in the replay file that identifies the hack and will develop a way to flag anyone who's been playing with it for banning.

Broodwar's B.net was crap because it was all hackers, and if it wasn't for stuff like iCCup with it's strict anti-hack, replay required, ban and notify the community of all hackers policy, there wouldn't even be a non-Korean competitive Broodwar scene. Tournaments with cash prizes would no longer be held if there wasn't harsh punishment for hackers, since there would be no confidence in the winners and hackers could be stealing money. Hackers literally almost killed Broodwar, and it took a 3rd party to save it. This time no 3rd party can do it, so if Blizzard doesn't, then SC2 will never be taken seriously.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
looking back at the thread makes things a tad funny. :lol
mint said:
We haven't played since yesterday evening since I'm working right now, but yes proxies is very lame. But Terran also has a very strong cheese rush against Toss as well lol
Yes. they must be terrible. especially ones you dont scout.

Dreavus

It's tough getting the dynamics of 2v2 down.

A friend and I just played a game (ZZ vs PT) where we took down the P base, but while we were doing so, my base got attacked with MM and zealots. We ended up base trading. Then my surviving units and my friend's next wave of reinforcements cleaned up most of what was left at my (former) base.

The thing is, the Terran rolls up on my friends doorstep shortly after with a MM ball and a few tanks with siege while my friend only has his first set of hydras and a bunch of roaches out. =(

Leaving the Toss and defending my base wasn't really an option for us because by the time we can get back, my hatchery/workers are fucked. What is the best dynamic to play on here? Maybe we should've attacked the toss earlier? (we swung when we both had 7-9 roaches out). Not attack at all and just roam the middle of the map? I'm thinking we could've pulled out when we saw no zealots at his base, but then again why pass up the chance to attack an undefended base? I feel like I'm missing something here.

lol watched the whole thing.. Can't believe he used the Sentry tower thing and then built one right after you said that.

The Turrets thing was a bit odd too but he may have seen 1 flying thing with that sentry tower he did finally build but to build 3 as you were coming in seemed a bit weird.

The biggest stuff agst him is the drop like you noted and stimming to get back to your reapers.. He activated stim and moved before you were even on his screen.

Dreavus said:
It's tough getting the dynamics of 2v2 down.

A friend and I just played a game (ZZ vs PT) where we took down the P base, but while we were doing so, my base got attacked with MM and zealots. We ended up base trading. Then my surviving units and my friend's next wave of reinforcements cleaned up most of what was left at my (former) base.

The thing is, the Terran rolls up on my friends doorstep shortly after with a MM ball and a few tanks with siege while my friend only has his first set of hydras and a bunch of roaches out. =(

Leaving the Toss and defending my base wasn't really an option for us because by the time we can get back, my hatchery/workers are fucked. What is the best dynamic to play on here? Maybe we should've attacked the toss earlier? (we swung when we both had 7-9 roaches out). Not attack at all and just roam the middle of the map? I'm thinking we could've pulled out when we saw no zealots at his base, but then again why pass up the chance to attack an undefended base? I feel like I'm missing something here.
It just depends on the situation. I play 2v2 exclusively and a third to a half of our matches end up base trading. Being Terran (which my teammate often is) is extremely valuable in those situations because you can just cart around your medivacs full of marines to wherever they need to be, which tends to be much more versatile in shutting down a base than most other units, on a per capita basis.

Zzoram

Chris Remo said:
It just depends on the situation. I play 2v2 exclusively and a third to a half of our matches end up base trading. Being Terran (which my teammate often is) is extremely valuable in those situations because you can just cart around your medivacs full of marines to wherever they need to be, which tends to be much more versatile in shutting down a base than most other units, on a per capita basis.

Being Terran also means you can hide a Command Center floating in the middle of nowhere to prevent the enemy from getting vision of you, and making it impossible for him to finish you off unless he has air units. Base trading often leads to building hiding, and Terran is the best for that.

Apath

Zzoram said:
Being Terran also means you can hide a Command Center floating in the middle of nowhere to prevent the enemy from getting vision of you, and making it impossible for him to finish you off unless he has air units. Base trading often leads to building hiding, and Terran is the best for that.
Can't a game end in stale mate if two terrans are locked with no AA and they just move their buildings into a corner?

Zzoram

Kenak said:
Can't a game end in stale mate if two terrans are locked with no AA and they just move their buildings into a corner?

There are no stalemates, whoever has to sign off first loses. These standoffs happened to me in Warcraft 3 and Broodwar on occasion, and they'd always be funny.

Wedge7

Zzoram said:
There are no stalemates, whoever has to sign off first loses. These standoffs happened to me in Warcraft 3 and Broodwar on occasion, and they'd always be funny.

lol, I know exactly what you mean. Its basically who is more stubborn. I had a game recently where it was me and a toss. He basically proxy gateway'd me on Desert Oasis, and rushed and killed my whole base. While he was doing that I took my initial scouting scv that was idle in his base and just said fuck it, and built a barracks in there. I actually finished it and built enough marines to kill him off, but he had a few pylons remaining. Lifted off my buildings but had no minerals left.

Basically had 6 marines, and he had like 4 zealots. We met in the middle and he won the micro war, killing me and having 1 zealot remaining. Since he couldn't take down my flying building, we were both sorta screwed. I got pissy and told him I wasn't leaving, and he said the same. Basically fast forward like 6 hours later, and I alt tabbed back and the fucker still hadn't left. It was getting late, so I grudgingly gave in and quit. That bastard.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Man, you guys are really quick to take the torch and pitchforks to mint huh?

Drama ASIDE.

Trasher and I got double proxied on Twilight Fortress. I scouted it but by the time I had lings out they were already pumping Zealots.

How the fuck do we counter this.

Replay: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ddjx07

Halycon said:
Man, you guys are really quick to take the torch and pitchforks to mint huh?

Drama ASIDE.

Trasher and I got double proxied on Twilight Fortress. I scouted it but by the time I had lings out they were already pumping Zealots.

How the fuck do we counter this.

Replay: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ddjx07
Scout em early.. dont see buildings.. holy shit then switch ideas and turtle up.. then tech up to something that will rape em... or continue with lings and turtle in but get speed.. then go straight for scvs since they obviously have shit at their town.

Thats how Deltron and I hold that stuff back But yes its tough.

EDIT: To add.. sometimes when I'm using zlings at their town they will try to save themselves.. This is when Deltron comes in and rapes the proxy.

Top Bottom