• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Trasher

Alright. I have a question on the name.identifier thing and how it works. So the first part will always be the same, and you will be able to make different identifiers? Or is it the other way around?

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
Pandaman said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLFVVGkvu50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIFezgQGTE

Some nice Phoenix use in this PvZ ESL game as well. I suspected that their spell would make them very effective in the right hands.

I got into the beta the day they started up the friend invites (with a normal key), but did not receive the email. Is everyone supposed to get an invite regardless of when you got in?

syoaran

Well - just had my first day of almost pure wins. 20 games, 15 wins ~. Really nice to finally have a tactic and stick to it, finally learning the sweet spot for build orders and instincivly knowing what to focus on depending on what I've scouted. Hot keying is still in its infancy, but after about 50 games now in total, I think I might have just completed the learning curve - now time to focus on getting better and faster at it.

One thing though. in a TvT match, is there really much you can do vs mass vikings as a Terran player? Feel like I just whatever build I have, a surprising amount of vikings will just level my bases.

syoaran said:
Well - just had my first day of almost pure wins. 20 games, 15 wins ~. Really nice to finally have a tactic and stick to it, finally learning the sweet spot for build orders and instincivly knowing what to focus on depending on what I've scouted. Hot keying is still in its infancy, but after about 50 games now in total, I think I might have just completed the learning curve - now time to focus on getting better and faster at it.

One thing though. in a TvT match, is there really much you can do vs mass vikings as a Terran player? Feel like I just whatever build I have, a surprising amount of vikings will just level my bases.

Really?

Vikings are terrible I think. A good MM ball will rip right through them.

BTW - This whole mint thing really makes me understand why he stopped partnering with me. He stopped being my partner and moved on to partner up with his brother who decided to reinstall the game after supposedly uninstalling it to focus on school. He never asked for a game with me and just did his own thing randomly after we got to 2v2 Platinum. Then Deltron and I partnered up. I'm betting he and his brother (hana) both map hack since they live together and obviously don't care. Now it all makes sense.

His brother prob reinstalled it since they both found a maphack and he suddenly had renewed interest :lol

Funny.. even w/ their map hacks they went on a losing streak in 2v2 Platinum.. :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
So from reading that thread, was WC3 plagued with map hacks and bots, and is that what Battle.net 2 will become?

Sucks for SC2 if it turns in to a hacker's delight, like WC3, and the only way to win a game is to hack yourself to victory. Apparently Blizzard doesn't have much of a history for caring about hackers or doing anything it seems?

Oh well. I will probably just stick to single player and maybe the rare multi-player game. I won't be able to put up with SC2 if 50%+ of games are people cheating. Hopefully Blizzard steps up and does something, as this will only get worse and worse the longer it goes unaddressed.

I wouldn't rely on catching people through the PoV trick for too long, maphackers will figure a way to let you run a second window most likely where you can spy without your camera being recorded.

syoaran

TurtleSnatcher said:
Really?

Vikings are terrible I think. A good MM ball will rip right through them.

Its always in the final stages of the game, useally when both our MM's have beat each other into a bloody plup - I useally go for cloaked Banshee's to take out the base in the back while the MM moves up in the front, sometimes backed up by seige upgraded. It works 50/50, 50% he's either too focused with MM to care or he's building seige to counter OR he just mass build vikings to drop into my supply lines ~

Meeru

Banned
There are lots of players with maphacks, I played a 1v1 ranked match and as soon as I leave my base to attack my opponent brings in banshees and attacks me. Starcraft 2 is going downhill :(

Ozorov

Minsc said:
So from reading that thread, was WC3 plagued with map hacks and bots, and is that what Battle.net 2 will become?

Sucks for SC2 if it turns in to a hacker's delight, like WC3, and the only way to win a game is to hack yourself to victory. Apparently Blizzard doesn't have much of a history for caring about hackers or doing anything it seems?

Oh well. I will probably just stick to single player and maybe the rare multi-player game. I won't be able to put up with SC2 if 50%+ of games are people cheating. Hopefully Blizzard steps up and does something, as this will only get worse and worse the longer it goes unaddressed.

I wouldn't rely on catching people through the PoV trick for too long, maphackers will figure a way to let you run a second window most likely where you can spy without your camera being recorded.

I don't remember this now. But did Blizzard ban the CD-key in Warcraft III when a user was detected using maphack?

valenti said:
There are lots of players with maphacks, I played a 1v1 ranked match and as soon as I leave my base to attack my opponent brings in banshees and attacks me. Starcraft 2 is going downhill :(
Now now, it DOES appear as though they are going with a 1 per person battle.net identity correct?

Can't they just ban all the hackers or make them buy a new game every time they get banned?

That'll shut them up pretty quick, no?

Minsc

Gold Member
valenti said:

I read in another thread on a forum where the hack is hosted, that over 50% of the games people where playing they ran in to people using map hacks. And like I said, it's only a matter of time before the maphackers add in a second window so your camera doesn't give you away.

GregLombardi said:
Now now, it DOES appear as though they are going with a 1 per person battle.net identity correct?

Can't they just ban all the hackers or make them buy a new game every time they get banned?

That'll shut them up pretty quick, no?

I guess we'll have to wait and see what, if anything, they do. Certainly taking no action would be a horrible thing as these hacks will spread and advance like wildfire.

Yaweee

Minsc said:

Private servers were much better about cracking down on cheaters. Better detection measures + more active mods/judges for that sort of thing.

And, yes, Blizzard permanently bans CD-keys when they were found cheating. However, now that people have shared Bnet accounts for all Blizzard games, will somebody lose all link accounts for other games if they are found to be cheating in just one? That's kind of horrifying, since all detection methods have false positives.

I've been accused of cheating before (in SC1 and WC3), but coincidences can and do happen, or people are scouting better than you think they are.

Minsc said:
I read in another thread on a forum where the hack is hosted, that over 50% of the games people where playing they ran in to people using map hacks. And like I said, it's only a matter of time before the maphackers add in a second window so your camera doesn't give you away.
I think you're being overly dramatic. When the game comes out, you can still play friendly, yet competitive games with Gaffers who aren't going to map hack :p

except mint

Milabrega

Blizzard is aware of the hack, there were blue posts addressing that they were working on it early March. Hopefully the ladder reset coincides with a patch that corrects the current map hack version and bans clowns who use it.

nilbog21

Banned
valenti said:

Hacker confirmed

Starcraft 2 is going downhill :([

Statement confirmed

Minsc

Gold Member
The Lamonster said:
I think you're being overly dramatic. When the game comes out, you can still play friendly, yet competitive games with Gaffers who aren't going to map hack :p

except mint

Probably, I hate this stuff, I can get carried away trying to get others to hate it as much as I do. From what I read the maphack also put AI in to your workers (so far it's just AI for mining or something), but I thought that was weird. I guess the less effort it takes to win and frustrate others, the more fun it is for people.

Meeru

Banned
From a business perspective however I don't think Blizzard will do anything to fix the maphack, just bans those who abuse it so they can just buy another copy. That is easy profit for Blizzard. It's been like this, always.

And with 3 Starcrafts, lol@ the amount of profit Blizzard can see.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
valenti said:
From a business perspective however I don't think Blizzard will do anything to fix the maphack, just bans those who abuse it so they can just buy another copy. That is easy profit for Blizzard. It's been like this, always.

And with 3 Starcrafts, lol@ the amount of profit Blizzard can see.

Blizzard did try to patch out the maphacks, but it is true that private SC/WC3 has always been better, but making Blizzard out to be the bad guy here for not being able to keep up with hackers while simultaneously trying to finish a game years in the making is hardly fair.

nilbog21 said:
Statement confirmed

Seriously? A few people out there are hacking and all of a sudden SC2 is going downhill? Hold on, I need to check to see if the sky is falling.

Also, myself and ezrarh have started in 2v2 ladder (I d/ced in 1 placement match resulting in gold -_-) but we'd be in for any of the GAF 2v2s, just hit us up if we're online. His full tag is ezrarh.thach if he hasn't posted it here yet.

Procarbine said:
Seriously? A few people out there are hacking and all of a sudden SC2 is going downhill? Hold on, I need to check to see if the sky is falling.
Indeed it is going downhill and has been for weeks. There isn't even a single player campaign!

GregLombardi said:
Forget that! The AI is horrific. They might as well have left it out of the entire game.
True. Every time I try to play the AI, I find it very easy. What a shame. The first StarCraft was so good.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
The Lamonster said:
Indeed it is going downhill and has been for weeks. There isn't even a single player campaign!

I just don't see it man, I've played a fair amount of games both in ladder and in custom and I haven't encountered a hacker. I don't get how the lack of single player contributes.

Am I missing sarcasm? EDIT: Yes I am, derp.

JWong

Banned
The Lamonster said:
I have no idea how you can think they would release the single player campaign.

We're not beta testing storyline.

Zzoram

Procarbine said:
Blizzard did try to patch out the maphacks, but it is true that private SC/WC3 has always been better, but making Blizzard out to be the bad guy here for not being able to keep up with hackers while simultaneously trying to finish a game years in the making is hardly fair.

How is it not fair? iccup was doing way more to stop hackers and they weren't getting paid to do it. Blizzard is taking money for a competitive RTS, they damn well better do something about hackers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The Lamonster said:
True. Every time I try to play the AI, I find it very easy. What a shame. The first StarCraft was so good.
Not the AI :lol

Go download and play against the AI modders are making. I think it's on version 6 or 7 by now.

Johann

Geez, I leave you guys for a week and one of you turns into an exhibition match hacker. Tony Johnson would be ashamed of himself.

Some of my friends may still have friend invites. I'll see if I can get some from them. I know a couple didn't use theirs after hearing about the invite bug.

Wedge7

Johann said:
Geez, I leave you guys for a week and one of you turns into an exhibition match hacker. Tony Johnson would be ashamed of himself.

Some of my friends may still have friend invites. I'll see if I can get some from them. I know a couple didn't use theirs after hearing about the invite bug.

Tony Johnson see's everything.

2c8fa6e.jpg

Meeru

Banned
Pretty amazing how fast a base goes down by a bunch of marines o_o While it takes years for hellions to make a dent :lol

Zzoram

bleahy said:
Hearing that the stats/ladder reset could be today.

I really want it to happen soon, I feel like none of the games I'm playing now count.

Also, they need to fix the "Highest Rank" in the profile page. It just shows your current rank, not the highest you've achieved.

Meeru

Banned
bleahy said:
Hearing that the stats/ladder reset could be today.
Yeah I heard that as well..and I just started :lol

I see there's a gaf user name sc2 list but kinda died down. I think we will need to make a clean and fresh new list with the wipe. To make it easier, we should do it in a way where users just edit the name list and reply. And once we have a nice big list the OP can put it in the front page.

Zzoram

valenti said:
Pretty amazing how fast a base goes down by a bunch of marines o_o While it takes years for hellions to make a dent :lol

Marines do 6 damage, Hellions do 8 damage + 6 vs light armor (buildings are heavy armor), but you can buy 2 Marines per Hellion in cost.

Johann said:

I would bring those keys to the Starcraft 2 Begging thread (just search google). Evilore made a new thread and there are peeps who are high on the list, waiting....waiting....

Meeru

Banned
Also the dps on teh hellions is pretty bad. They're like a hard but slow hitting unit yet drives very fast :lol. B.net is very bugged. End game stats are messed up :\

mint

Banned
ok, after talking with my bro a bit (sorry for the delay in response), heres my talk.

to begin with, i have been using mint (gaf id) for a long time, many years. do some research on my posts, if possible. i mainly posted my artwork, some random threads, etc. i play as hana.kyon on sc2.

my brother (he would use my gaf id to lurk in forums/post) plays under mint (and other names) in hon. (i dont play hon) i let him use mint for sc2 since he used it in hon. yes, i tell him to not use maphack. im surprised no gaf member overheard my party chat about me repeatly telling him not to cheat while having voice talk on, since its set at voice activated. i apologize for this event. hes obviously not playing sc2 with gaf for sure.

so yes, this incident puts a big dent on my (real) gaf id due to him messin around. but thats all i can say. i just hope we can move on.

Zzoram

mint said:
ok, after talking with my bro a bit (sorry for the delay in response), heres my talk.

to begin with, i have been using mint (gaf id) for a long time, many years. do some research on my posts, if possible. i mainly posted my artwork, some random threads, etc. i play as hana.kyon on sc2.

my brother (he would use my gaf id to lurk in forums/post) plays under mint (and other names) in hon. (i dont play hon) i let him use mint for sc2 since he used it in hon. yes, i tell him to not use maphack. im surprised no gaf member overheard my party chat about me repeatly telling him not to cheat while having voice talk on, since its set at voice activated. i apologize for this event. hes obviously not playing sc2 with gaf for sure.

so yes, this incident puts a big dent on my (real) gaf id due to him messin around. but thats all i can say. i just hope we can move on.

So your brother plays HoN as mint but you don't, and your brother is the one who hacks using mint.mint in SC2?

Top Bottom