• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Hazaro said:
DRAMA

As a Terran you will probably be in the position to react to your enemy rather than pressure them into something (Unless you went reaper rush to make them get roaches (or mutas)).
Wall off, spend your minerals constantly. If you ever get over 800 slap down turrets / expo / barracks and keep it down. Reactor rax is fantastic to making that delicious DPS meat ball known as marines.

Tiny unit size + great DPS + range + Mineral only = Best damn unit in the game (Before they fix tanks more).

Is it just Terran, or just not doing so well at SC II?

Well I'm only using them for now, then learn the others later. Only ever played the others in SC1.

I will try your tips!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ok, i suppose i should give GAF fair warning after the mint debacle. this is an email i sent to some people at work.

Hey guys,

I’ve got the SC2 beta installed on my computer with a legit beta key on my battle.net account.

I know most of you play Starcraft or are at least interested in SC2 so I figured I’d share the love and give you the chance to play on my account.

At 5:30 I go to the gym and pool for about an hour, so what I’ll do is leave my computer unlocked and my battle.net account signed in. Anyone who wants to play can just sit down at my desk and go for their life. When you’re done and there’s no one else after you wanting to play just logoff and shutdown my computer. I’ll be back at work around 6:30, so if there isn’t anyone wanting to play, I’ll just logout and turn it off myself.

I’ll do this at the end of each day.

If you get some random messages from people just inform them that you’re not “Scrow”, but a work colleague. Feel free to play games with them if you want, but don’t be a douche and tarnish my good name! :)

If there’s anyone else you can think of at work that would like the opportunity to play SC2 pass this message onto them.

Other than that, have fun and GG!
i trust that these people will not be dicks, but just to be cautious keep this in mind when you see me online. :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
VOOK said:
Well I'm only using them for now, then learn the others later. Only ever played the others in SC1.

I will try your tips!
Toss is probably easiest to transition into.
valenti said:
Not sure if anyone knows this, but 3v3 and 4v4 will be in the beta.
Source?

Meeru

Banned
Hazaro said:
Toss is probably easiest to transition into.

Source?

Q. Can we expect to have new maps or the map editor in the beta soon?

A. Yes. We will be adding a few new maps as we continue to release patches including a few 3v3 and 4v4 maps. Additionally, we are hoping to release the map editor to the community sometime in April.
There, happy? :lol

Apath

valenti said:
There, happy? :lol
God, I am hyped for the editor. In fact, I think I'm going to start making custom models in preparation now.

When it comes out, I hope non-beta players can access it. If not, I'm getting on my news and will resort to key begging ;_;

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Kenak said:
God, I am hyped for the editor. In fact, I think I'm going to start making custom models in preparation now.
yep, i'm more interested in the map editor than the game itself actually :lol

i already have some rough design docs written up somewhere for the game i want to make. :) i started writing them soon after SC2 was officially announced May 19, 2007. :lol

Pachinko

I finally won a game (admitting that I've only had 3 practice matches as well as 3 1v1 with a friend in the beta) . I still don't feel as though I should have won though, I could tell I was making mistakes all over the place and towards the end I was pretty much sitting on money that I didn't what to spend on but I suppose my opponent just made more mistakes.

Absurdly long match thanks to my putzing around , clocked in at 52 minutes. Really should have been over and done with by 25-30 minutes.

I guess I'll give the zerg a whirl now.

Apath

Scrow said:
yep, i'm more interested in the map editor than the game itself actually :lol

i already have some rough design docs written up somewhere for the game i want to make. :) i started writing them soon after SC2 was officially announced May 19, 2007. :lol
Same :lol I have at least three fully fleshed out new ideas I want to make for SC2, and at least half a dozen WC3 maps I've made that I'd like to remake for SC2. I've spent way too much time in the World Editor :D

Meeru

Banned
Kenak said:

When it comes out, I hope non-beta players can access it. If not, I'm getting on my news and will resort to key begging ;_;
LOL you're going to have to keep begging cuz the map editor is only for beta players loser :lol

valenti said:
LOL you're going to have to keep begging cuz the map editor is only for beta players loser :lol

and?

theres already an hacked version of the game that you could play by yourself vs scripted AI " made by people " and theres already money maps for them. So whats your point? you honestly think the map editor is beta exclusive? :lol

Apath

valenti said:
2rc7sqa.jpg

Kenak said:

As much as I liked DotA and some other custom games the editor pretty much killed WC3 for me. I always wanted to play the regular game and all my friends wanted to play DotA/TD.

And god, I can't stand tower defense. Lamest most boring thing ever.

Dreavus

Just played 3 ZvZ (Silver).

Kind of a silly match-up. I kept hearing about it, but it's literally whoever can get the most roaches wins. Any time they bring out mutas I just charge their base with my larger roach army, and win. A previous game I tried going hydra/ling and lost out to mass roach, even with infestor fungal growth backup.

Has anyone tried banelings? I'd like to know how that worked out for them.

pez is kind of a douche, so what if I like to observe? Damn man get off your high horse.

And don't give me some "tough love" defense or some shit. Trying to guilt me into playing because you want a better matchup is so misguided, what the hell?

Apath

DurielBlack said:
As much as I liked DotA and some other custom games the editor pretty much killed WC3 for me. I always wanted to play the regular game and all my friends wanted to play DotA/TD.

And god, I can't stand tower defense. Lamest most boring thing ever.
There is a very strong ladder playing community if you just look. In fact I can find an obs match at almost any time, and most of the time you can find someone to play with in one.

Just sayin' that the reason I still play WC3 (and many others) 8 years after its initial release is solely because of the editor and what it has brought to the table. Classics like Arkguil TD, Footmen Wars, and Plague, all the way to Wintermaul TD (original =P), Footmen Frenzy, and even DotA Allstars. Then you've got Changeling, Murder in the Mansion, Parasite, Night of the Dead, Legacy RPG, the countless well made ORPGs, Hero Arenas, etc. I literally could go on and on. The only draw back is how DotA dominates the custom games list, but for a good reason -- it's fucking good.

EDIT: Listing The Plague reminded me of a sequel I made (http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/maps.php?view=1200). My friends and I'd play it all the time a couple of years back. /map pimpin :D

I, on the other hand LOVE tower defense games. I suppose its the same quirk that makes me love starcraft and other base building games over their DoW2 no base counterparts.

zoukka

Dreavus said:
Has anyone tried banelings? I'd like to know how that worked out for them.

They seem pretty essential against Terrans. Though after the initial rape with banelings, the terran usually will shift to producing more marauders, so remember to counter those with something else.

Apath

Ice Monkey said:
I, on the other hand LOVE tower defense games. I suppose its the same quirk that makes me love starcraft and other base building games over their DoW2 no base counterparts.
Tower Defense games are amazing. It cracks me up when I see them released as stand alone titles on other platforms, considering how amazing (and free) they were on WC3. After trying numerous other efforts, WC3 is still the king.

Kenak said:
Tower Defense games are amazing. It cracks me up when I see them released as stand alone titles on other platforms, considering how amazing (and free) they were on WC3. After trying numerous other efforts, WC3 is still the king.

I agree, it is rather funny seeing them now being sold as standalone products given their history, but a whole lot of them are actually worth the money and i cant get enough of TD so i lap them up like a hungry dog.

The WORST though is when someone makes a TD, even wants to charge for it, and it just plain sucks because they have no idea how to do correct balancing.

Ice Monkey said:
pez is kind of a douche, so what if I like to observe? Damn man get off your high horse.

And don't give me some "tough love" defense or some shit. Trying to guilt me into playing because you want a better matchup is so misguided, what the hell?
All you do is observe.. we needed 1 more (obviously dopey isn't on our tier yet) and you keep making excuses.. "Drinking a beer" "Rebuilding a laptop"

Unbelievable.

Don't join games that are meant to be fun and be afraid to play and make up some retarded excuses to not play and to only observe. People can take turns observing.. You played like one maybe two games the whole night.

Better Matchup? No.. What makes you think having Dopey in there over you (Dopey just got the game today) would be fair? I even said earlier that night that I wasnt sure on anyones skill lvl.

If you want to watch the game.. then watch it on TeamLiquid and give your key to someone who will actually play. Jesus. All you did was beg for Referee in every fricken game and to be placed in spectator. You drank 1 beer for over 3 games.. and suddenly decided to "Rebuild" a laptop after that.. Yet you typed more then you "Rebuilt" so I really doubt you were actually doing that.. :\ In the end you ruined what could have been a 2v2 with Dopey watching that would have been enjoyable because you demanded to observe after observing almost every game that night and the 2 games before that..

---

GGs to everyone tonight. Zzoram you ass for killing my last building yet I told you not too during that FFA.. lol.

Apath

Ice Monkey said:
I agree, it is rather funny seeing them now being sold as standalone products given their history, but a whole lot of them are actually worth the money and i cant get enough of TD so i lap them up like a hungry dog.

The WORST though is when someone makes a TD, even wants to charge for it, and it just plain sucks because they have no idea how to do correct balancing.
Hard to compare an indie's honest effort with the veterans of the WC3 community with their countless amounts of TD experience. :D
TurtleSnatcher said:
All you do is observe.. we needed 1 more (obviously dopey isn't on our tier yet) and you keep making excuses.. "Drinking a beer" "Rebuilding a laptop"

Unbelievable.

Don't join games that are meant to be fun and be afraid to play and make up some retarded excuses to not play and to only observe. People can take turns observing.. You played like one maybe two games the whole night.

Better Matchup? No.. What makes you think having Dopey in there over you (Dopey just got the game today) would be fair? I even said earlier that night that I wasnt sure on anyones skill lvl.

If you want to watch the game.. then watch it on TeamLiquid and give your key to someone who will actually play. Jesus. All you did was beg for Referee in every fricken game and to be placed in spectator. You drank 1 beer for over 3 games.. and suddenly decided to "Rebuild" a laptop after that.. Yet you typed more then you "Rebuilt" so I really doubt you were actually doing that.. :\
I love observing games =[ It's something I look forward to doing when SC2 comes out. =D

Zzoram

TurtleSnatcher said:
GGs to everyone tonight. Zzoram you ass for killing my last building yet I told you not too during that FFA.. lol.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was your last building.

All that happened afterwards is that ZealousD killed Dopey with the Void Rays he had flying around, and I killed ZealousD with some BCs since my ground blob couldn't get to his island fortress.

Zzoram said:
Sorry, I didn't realize it was your last building.

All that happened afterwards is that ZealousD killed Dopey with the Void Rays he had flying around, and I killed ZealousD with some BCs since my ground blob couldn't get to his island fortress.

lol .. I took out Zealous man base with 200/200 cap hydras =[

I shoulda gone straight for you.. but oh well.. I should have taken out your high yield expo early! Doh

Kenak said:
Hard to compare an indie's honest effort with the veterans of the WC3 community with their countless amounts of TD experience. :D

I love observing games =[ It's something I look forward to doing when SC2 comes out. =D

I love observing games too.. But man.. some people play like 5-6 times in a row because he refuses to play. Its annoying cuz sometimes some people want breaks not to just obs but to actually have a break.. He just wants to obs so he can have ref and blare out in chat all day.

ZealousD said:
If I had made carriers instead of void rays, I might have won. :lol
Yea probably :lol I was honestly expecting carriers from you!

When I lost my Hydras to you Zzoram - That is when Dopey hit me with his BC's.. If I had em all I woulda destroyed them easily. :(

Apath

fanboi said:
So, someone would like to have me as friend? Still no one has added me...

fanboi.gaf

*kisses and hugs*
Wait, even you're in the beta too now? Lame.

*Goes back to Husky/HDStarcraft shout casts*

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i would have been in better shape if a) i didn't mess around with zealous in the beginning with my SCV

b) didn't move

or c) turtle didn't see my new base being constructed from where I started (i moved for it when he said "someone is missing!"

I got too limited at that point... I could have used the BCs and made a new base and protected but I would have made the game long and drawn out and by doing that it would have eventually lead to my victory (i just needed gas, i had a TON of minerals, but gas? If i had those two bases up and running for 5 minutes or so, I would have maxed out my BCs and the board would have been wiped clean

when my expansions were discovered... that's when I lost.

and sidenote: I'm not new to SC2... i've had it for a week now.. I just prefer to play defense then end game. i hate micro managing lots of little battles but giant armies :D that's where my heart is

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea probably :lol I was honestly expecting carriers from you!

I expected somebody to come after me, so I wasn't even sure I'd be able to tech that high. :lol

DopeyFish said:
i would have been in better shape if a) i didn't mess around with zealous in the beginning with my SCV

b) didn't move

or c) turtle didn't see my new base being constructed from where I started (i moved for it when he said "someone is missing!"

I got too limited at that point... I could have used the BCs and made a new base and protected but I would have made the game long and drawn out and by doing that it would have eventually lead to my victory (i just needed gas, i had a TON of minerals, but gas? If i had those two bases up and running for 5 minutes or so, I would have maxed out my BCs and the board would have been wiped clean

when my expansions were discovered... that's when I lost.

and sidenote: I'm not new to SC2... i've had it for a week now.. I just prefer to play defense then end game. i hate micro managing lots of little battles but giant armies :D that's where my heart is

I was tempted to send like overlords within the first 5-10 mins of the game
with hydras into your base
*nydus in that is*

I chose not too.. and then Zzoram attacked me.. Then said "Wow lotsa hydras"

Then I went for Zealous.. who didnt have an army then.. or did ? Wasnt sure.. Saw DT's.. but I had an overseer.. I then cleared out his whole base.. Then went back to my base and sat there like an idiot instead of pushing Zzoram :lol

I also was thinking of maybe nydusing into the island that Zealous moved too

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TurtleSnatcher said:
Then I went for Zealous.. who didnt have an army then.. or did ? Wasnt sure.. Saw DT's.. but I had an overseer.. I then cleared out his whole base.. Then went back to my base and sat there like an idiot instead of pushing Zzoram :lol

Yeah I was in the process of building like 15 gateways to try and warp in on some people's back door. I was hoping my little forge fast expand would be enough to scare you guys away. Didn't expect 5 million hydras knocking on my door. :lol

fanboi said:
So, someone would like to have me as friend? Still no one has added me...

fanboi.gaf

*kisses and hugs*

I'll add you when I get on tonight to play.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I love observing games too.. But man.. some people play like 5-6 times in a row because he refuses to play. Its annoying cuz sometimes some people want breaks not to just obs but to actually have a break.. He just wants to obs so he can have ref and blare out in chat all day.

Legitimate frustration and I can find it annoying at times too. On the other hand I also realize a lot of people prefer the social aspect of the game and just like talking smack/life/whatever over actually playing.

I've spent many hours playing the game of ChatCraft, using cheese tactics like whisper-spamming and WallTexting...

Zzoram

I thought I was dead when you did that big hydra push into my natural, but apparently 4 siege tanks (2 of which died) were able to tilt the battle in my favour.

DurielBlack said:
I'll add you when I get on tonight to play.

Legitimate frustration and I can find it annoying at times too. On the other hand I also realize a lot of people prefer the social aspect of the game and just like talking smack/life/whatever over actually playing.

I've spent many hours playing the game of ChatCraft, using cheese tactics like whisper-spamming and WallTexting...
I dont mind smack talk.. we all smack talk.. But even I suck and smack talk I would still play.

And whisper spamming and wall texting is retarded.. if someone did that in my game and was refing.. id never play with them again or just make them spectator permanently..

Zzoram said:
I thought I was dead when you did that big hydra push into my natural, but apparently 4 siege tanks (2 of which died) were able to tilt the battle in my favour.

Yea I wasn't paying much attention.. I should have just walked right in then just attacked.. instead I let half my army sit behind a wall of hydras. They spun in cricles back there =[

Zzoram

TurtleSnatcher said:
I dont mind smack talk.. we all smack talk.. But even I suck and smack talk I would still play.

And whisper spamming and wall texting is retarded.. if someone did that in my game and was refing.. id never play with them again or just make them spectator permanently..

I hope that Battle.net2 still has the /squelch command

fanboi

Banned
Kenak said:
IDK, I just remembered you saying something about resorting to begging/buying, and I told you to hang in there.

No, wasn't me.
I started the list in the Begging thread, nothing else.

Would NEVER EVER pay a dime for a Beta code.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I believe it has ignore set up already. I was just referencing to refs in games.

We really need channels so we dont have a dozen observers each game and the chatters can lurk there. Supposedly there will be some form of channels in final release. I think its really dumb they aren't testing b.net with full features.

DurielBlack said:
We really need channels so we dont have a dozen observers each game and the chatters can lurk there. Supposedly there will be some form of channels in final release. I think its really dumb they aren't testing b.net with full features.

I dont get why specs can't just talk in spectator.. why do people demand referee so they can talk to everyone when their are other specs to talk too.

If there is more then 1 spec.. then everyone should be spec.. if only 1 spec I can understand why someone would ref the only spec so he isnt lonely ;P

pez, seriously, what.the.hell? I didn't get a key from anything involving you so please don't tell me I'm wrong for choosing to do with it what I'd like to.

What in God's name is wrong with me wanting to observe a goddamn game? Is it so beyond you to think I could want to have a beer and enjoy watching a game, and for your information although you don't deserve it, I didn't end up going for the beer until after I left your ignorant company.

Also against your ignorance I do have a laptop to tear open and replace the wireless card to learn about wireless network security, it wasn't some dumbfuck excuse I made up to pussy out of a game.

For God's sake man, get a life, it's freaking starcraft and pardon me for being dramatic since I don't really matter (and don't like playing all the time in our GAF games similarly) but the way you acted tonight was really childish and makes me question the amount of respect i've given for people who are on GAF.

Top Bottom