• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

aznpxdd said:
Turtle...you should share with GAF what the opponents said after we kicked their ass the other day.

"_______, the new roach."

Nah, go for a mixture of marines and rauders, not just marauders. I've been mixing in ghosts as well, snipe is a deadly, deadly ability. 45 damage to any bio, and it only costs 25 energy.
I will have to try that, I haven't messed with Ghosts a whole bunch yet. Still trying to get my Sea legs so I have mostly just been trying to get down a good basic opening build.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
JWong said:
So... as a zerg, I just mass roaches and that's all? 8P

Maybe switch to some hydras when it gets late.

That can work, but lately I was frustrated by a tactic I then tried myself, and it's awesome.

Go back to your BW roots and zergling/speedling harass. You can run circles around roaches, if your enemy expands they are forced to spend all of their time and resources trying to defend both bases while a small speedling force can race between mineral lines knocking out queens and drones while taking small casualties. Simultaneously the constant harass also gives you free scouting AND map control, in a 1v1 scenario. Behind a relatively small force of harassing lings you can expand/tech up to mutalisks and crush your opponent. Although this is primarily a ZvZ tactic, it can be altered to work against the other races. Mixing in some roaches or leaving a few around your base leaves the threat of switching to roach mass or even the illusion of a switch.

You'd be amazed how often people just assume a roach mass and you can quickly cripple their economy or destroy their roach counter. Seeing a protoss Sentry/Immortal force simply being overrun or a Marauder force get owned is always satisfying. Of course you need to counter whatever your opponent tries to turn to, so you can't just blindly tech. Seeing zerglings destroy thors is a mix between sad and funny, terran mech needs help.

TLDR: Roaches are good, but so many people lean on them so much many forget about zerglings, utilize them.

glad hes banned. I hope you all don't believe his bullshit, I was going to post before he took the bait but I was trying not to believe the inevitable that he was going to blame this on his brother.

He barely sounded like he would've cared if we all forgave him anyway, since he seemed ticked off about the whole situation going so far as to say how he never posts here, well ok getting caught can completely turn you off to a community hehe.

Even assuming he was telling the truth don't forget we have both 1. the "good" mint doesn't care about us to post in here ever, so goodbye playing with mint and 2. mint AND hana IMHO are at risk for further infraction except now we wouldn't be able to tell, mint/hana would just basically use the hack to check minimap from here on out.

I don't know why someone would care so little about friends, even "just" internetz friends to hack against them, especially when there's the chance to be either accused or caught, both of which seal your fate from ever playing against those people ever again legitimately.

"I won't hack anymore, I promise."

Procarbine said:
TLDR: Roaches are good, but so many people lean on them so much many forget about zerglings, utilize them.
Am I the only one who hates the roach's design ?

I'd remove them, balance the Hydras back to power and mass them like in SC 1.

Won

theMrCravens said:
Am I the only one who hates the roach's design ?

I'd remove them, balance the Hydras back to power and mass them like in SC 1.

Zerg generally feel a bit like Blizzard didn't really have any good new ideas for the race and just forced some weird stuff into it.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Wedge7 said:
Anyone surprised?
no, had to be done at some point. at least the thread can get back on track now.

valenti said:
What is good against roaches?
anything with bonus damage against armored units (roach is armored). so immortals, marauders, siege tanks, stalkers... and i think hydralisks?

Minsc

Gold Member
bug_bigger2.gif

I made mint a new avatar... looks like I'm too late! :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
JWong said:
So... as a zerg, I just mass roaches and that's all? 8P

Maybe switch to some hydras when it gets late.
Make sure to start making hydras if you see aerial. Great thing is you can tech for both roach and hydra attack/defense.

valenti said:
I was looking over at the post by Panda on the bnet website and I loved how Turtle was accusing that mint's brother was a hacker too :lol What a silly goose.
You partner with a hacker and use their knowledge then yea it makes sense.. he moved to where his bro told him and shit. You can clearly see it in the replay that Panda and I had agst them.

Dreavus

Ice Monkey said:
glad hes banned. I hope you all don't believe his bullshit, I was going to post before he took the bait but I was trying not to believe the inevitable that he was going to blame this on his brother.

He barely sounded like he would've cared if we all forgave him anyway, since he seemed ticked off about the whole situation going so far as to say how he never posts here, well ok getting caught can completely turn you off to a community hehe.

Even assuming he was telling the truth don't forget we have both 1. the "good" mint doesn't care about us to post in here ever, so goodbye playing with mint and 2. mint AND hana IMHO are at risk for further infraction except now we wouldn't be able to tell, mint/hana would just basically use the hack to check minimap from here on out.

I don't know why someone would care so little about friends, even "just" internetz friends to hack against them, especially when there's the chance to be either accused or caught, both of which seal your fate from ever playing against those people ever again legitimately.

"I won't hack anymore, I promise."

Didn't you see Haly's epic detective work? Unless he's been spending the last several years carefully crafting an alternate persona, with differing tastes in games and interests, there MUST be 2 mints!

I haven't played enough to have a really good or bad opinion on roaches, MM pushes have been giving me far more trouble since I started playing.

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
Deltron - I got on at 5pm at work and we are still rank 9.. so lets build up some rest XP.

Way to go me.. I didnt mean to dbl post ;(

Wait, explain wtf rest XP is again. They are discouraging people from constantly playing or what.

aznpxdd

valenti said:
Im guessing some 2v2 team did that against u and u just stole the idea lol

We've honestly only been outplayed in Plat 2 games at the most. All our other losses came from lame proxies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
darkressurection said:
So, if I am playing TvZ I should just rush for Marauders to counter Roaches right? I am still trying to figure out all the counters and everything.
Wall and get a rax with tech lab. Get another rax with a reactor, then another rax with tech lab.

You can go tech / tech if you like, but I don't feel comfortable with only mards, or only making 1 rine instead of a mard. If zerg tosses in some lings it'll help more than going pure roach (not that anyone does this).

Roach opening is really easy to defend against (so far). Plus then you get your medivac + stim and just kill his expo / warren / lair and you basically win :D

Apath

What a lame end to the Mint chronicles. I knew he would chime in with the brother doing it, but it turned out to be so convulsed and complicated that it ended up losing all sense of purpose and lulz. Good thing I didn't stay up waiting.
TurtleSnatcher said:
You partner with a hacker and use their knowledge then yea it makes sense.. he moved to where his bro told him and shit. You can clearly see it in the replay that Panda and I had agst them.
Case closed!

Zzoram

aznpxdd said:
Wait, explain wtf rest XP is again. They are discouraging people from constantly playing or what.

If you win 10 games in a day playing 24/7, lets say you get 20 pts per win, you get 200 pts. If you win 5 games per day only playing 5 hours a day, you get 20pts per win + 20 pts bonus pool, so you end up with the same 200 pts with half the wins.

Bonus pool points build up every hour you aren't playing from the moment of the last ladder season (ladder resets every season). Whatever points you win from a match, you can earn an equal number of bonus pool points [20 +/- favor + bonus, where bonus=(20+/-favor)]. So basically, if someone is on 24/7, he has no bonus pool points, but since nobody will do that, everyone will have a pool, it'll just be larger for some than others. Given the rate of bonus pool growth, it's going to be impossible to use it all up so in the end, everyone is basically earning double points.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Halycon said:
Make sure to start making hydras if you see aerial. Great thing is you can tech for both roach and hydra attack/defense.
i remember watching a replay where the commentator made a good point about how the roaches have a shorter range than hydras (and there's an upgrade for hydras), so you put them on the front line as a meat shield, and the hydras can shoot from behind the line of roaches.

throw in a few zerglings to get up in melee range and restrict the enemy's movement forward and you've got a force of zerg with good synergy.

jett said:
Man I got owned again. I need a tutorial or something.
i need to force myself to use hotkeys. i click EVERYTHING and it just doesn't work. i had the same problem in WoW for years. i'd click every spell on the bar.... can't believe i did that for so many years. finally a friend basically forced me to start using keybinds... completely changed the game for me and i've never looked back.

i need to force it upon myself in SC2.

i remember reading something about blizzard having little challenges and tutorials that specifically focus on getting you using hotkeys. they actually disable the buttons in the UI and you have to use hotkeys. i wish they released that stuff with the beta! :lol

Cru Jones

I just got a key (purchased off of CL for $50). I probably won't be able to play tonight since it is already 9 and I just started DLing, but I look forward to playing with some of you possibly.

jett

D-Member
Scrow said:
i remember watching a replay where the commentator made a good point about how the roaches have a shorter range than hydras (and there's an upgrade for hydras), so you put them on the front line as a meat shield, and the hydras can shoot from behind the line of roaches.

throw in a few zerglings to get up in melee range and restrict the enemy's movement forward and you've got a force of zerg with good synergy.

i need to force myself to use hotkeys. i click EVERYTHING and it just doesn't work. i had the same problem in WoW for years. i'd click every spell on the bar.... can't believe i did that for so many years. finally a friend basically forced me to start using keybinds... completely changed the game for me and i've never looked back.

i need to force it upon myself in SC2.

i remember reading something about blizzard having little challenges and tutorials that specifically focus on getting you using hotkeys. they actually disable the buttons in the UI and you have to use hotkeys. i wish they released that stuff with the beta! :lol

Yes, that would help. Knowing exactly how to build each unit and what they do would help too. :p

So for those of you who've had a lot of time with the game...... Do you see this as a true sequel to SC? Do you think it will hold up just as well?

Im dying to play this damn game, I can only destroy the computer so many times!

Apath

Akim said:
I shouldn't of used my key. I don't like this game at all :|
Lame. There are legions of us crying in our sleep over the lack of a beta key assigned to our b.net accounts, and you're bored ;_;

PLAY UNTIL YOU LOVE IT.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
jett said:
Yes, that would help. Knowing exactly how to build each unit and what they do would help too. :p
oh...

well to create zerglings you need a spawning pool.

to create roaches you need a roach warren. the spawning pool is a prerequiste for it.

to create hydralisks you need a hydralisk den, which has the Lair (upgrade from the Hatchery) as a prerequisite. you upgrade the hydralisks attack range at the den.

zerglings can only melee attack ground units, so they're always on the front line. roaches have a short ranged attack, but can only target ground units. hydras have a longer attack range, but can target ground AND air units.

for more information about each unit do some research :)

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Zergling#StarCraft_II
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Roach
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Hydralisk#StarCraft_II

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jett said:
Hit F12 in game or replay to pull up the tech tree. You an also look at each units hp / damage / armor and counters.

So I was thinking, someone should try this for me since I don't have a multi key unfortunately.

The terran sentry tower right? I wanna see a feign base drop xD

This is all completely circumstantial on the terran having made one and maps and probably other stuff. Basically make a bunch of transporting type units, I'm thinking easier with zerg since ya know, overlords, and move them in a big cluster As Though you were going to drop on his main, maybe moving off across the side of the map, across water, w/e. Hopefully he'll see a bunch of red dots on his mini map and maybe scan the area, wait a few seconds and then make the fake path to his base. Maybe he'll unsiege tanks and move his forces to try and get back to his main, at the last minute turn around and send in your real army by land across expansions or straight into his main door, with hopefully his main force at his back door :p

Theorycraft? I'd like to see it happen, I'm not sure how viable it was be to go through the trouble but damn if it wouldn't be a lolz game.

*mint drama*

You guys really had me rolling, co-workers were looking at me strangely. Especially the Tiger Woods apology and Halycons detective work.

Last night of 12.5 hour shifts until next saturday, I'm really looking forwards to gaming Tuesday night.

I need more practice with hotkeys. I usuall control group a probe to 1 at the beginning for scouting, later replacing that binding with my entire army. 0 Usually gets bound to warp gates and 9 to stargate/robo facility.

I do alright with the unit ability hotkeys, as long as I remember to use them to begin with. In my old SC1 days I used to never use hotkeys and I can say it made a huge difference in my skills once I started.

Milabrega

Nice FFA's earlier wedge/terp/panda/fromthetfuture. I know I said I was taking a break but thunderstorm is getting worse here so not going to hop back on. Some of the more evenly matched FFA's games I've played so far too. Terp's MULE's eating the High yields was just wild.

spootime

I don't really post in this thread, but this Mint thing is funny as hell. Still, he seemed like a nice guy in HoN except for the odd ragequit.

Do they even have maphacks in HoN? I seriously doubt he hacks after playing with him but it'd be interesting to look at some old replays.

Haly

Anyone wanna play some friendly 1v1s? I need to get the hang of organizing more than two bases. Hell I can't even do that right.

Haly

DurielBlack said:
*mint drama*

You guys really had me rolling, co-workers were looking at me strangely. Especially the Tiger Woods apology and Halycons detective work.

Last night of 12.5 hour shifts until next saturday, I'm really looking forwards to gaming Tuesday night.

I need more practice with hotkeys. I usuall control group a probe to 1 at the beginning for scouting, later replacing that binding with my entire army. 0 Usually gets bound to warp gates and 9 to stargate/robo facility.

I do alright with the unit ability hotkeys, as long as I remember to use them to begin with. In my old SC1 days I used to never use hotkeys and I can say it made a huge difference in my skills once I started.
Aren't warp gates automatically bound to "w" for toss?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Definition of rage quit: Leaving before your opponent has destroyed a single building.

I was probably going to win, but still, lol. :lol

Haly

Funny, I just left a game before my opponent killed a single building.

lolz.

mint.mint ignored everyone from GAF...

and then his supposed brother who is "good" is still playing with him.. (They have had 2 games together in the past 10-15 mins).

I submitted all my replays of mint to hacks@blizzard.com

enough of his shit.. Hope he gets a ban.

BrknGuitar

Neo Member
Cru Jones said:
I just got a key (purchased off of CL for $50). I probably won't be able to play tonight since it is already 9 and I just started DLing, but I look forward to playing with some of you possibly.

for those who are bad with acronyms, CL?

Meeru

Banned
So are there any GOOD players in the gaf forums? :\ And 2v2s do not count, that mode is lame :lol It's all about 1on1 kthx

Top Bottom