• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Zzoram said:
Manner pylon, amirite?

nah it can be in their base so they can put up their first gateway.

and yes I'm a little miffed at my recent troubles in PvT on Fighting Spirit (and to a lesser extent, Destination). :(

I hope that BBS comes back though. Part of the fun of the early beta is people screaming imba when they hit some clever cheese.

Enosh

I still can't sign in for the beta beacose the god damned battle.net doesn't want to accept my WC3 key saying it's already in use -.-

Gribbix

The system requirements for the beta:
http://us.blizzard.com/support/arti...parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=3633
PC Minimum Requirements:
• Windows XP SP3/Vista SP1/Windows 7
• 2.2 Ghz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
• 1 GB system RAM/1.5 GB for Vista and Windows 7
• 128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card
• 1024x768 minimum display resolution
• 4 GB free hard space (Beta)
• Broadband connection

*Note* the final requirements for Starcraft II have not yet been determined. Due to ongoing development the minimum requirements listed above are subject to change at any time. During this phase a Mac version will NOT be available, please check back.

Majine

Banned
During this phase a Mac version will NOT be available, please check back.

What the hell, man!? I thought this would be my one advantage for getting in.

Alright, time to bootcamp and update system prefs.

Those requirements are pretty ridiculous, though, I'm wondering if they are blocking people out who only have dial up connections. Not to say that they shouldn't in terms of game quality but....they've never been known to limit their userbase...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
GregLombardi said:
Those requirements are pretty ridiculous, though, I'm wondering if they are blocking people out who only have dial up connections. Not to say that they shouldn't in terms of game quality but....they've never been known to limit their userbase...

People have dial up connections? I thought that went away with the dinosaurs!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
ZealousD said:

Yeah, if for some reason someone is still using a dial up connection, he is not really what we call a PC gamer.

jsrv

^Oh, I didn't notice the broadband connection requirement. I wonder if Battle.net will test your connection speed before being able to login, and if you're too slow/too high ping it would just boot you.

Lothars

ZealousD said:

not at all depending where they are, it's very well possible that they are not able to get highspeed at all, it's rarer now but it still happens more than you would think.

Lothars

GregLombardi said:

I don't see how the requirements are ridiculous especially since a computer with around the same specs, i had something like 7 years ago if not more than that.

The only thing is the required broadband but I don't think that will be a permanent requirement or even that big of a deal overall if it is permanent.

Effect

I was never that big into online play with Starcraft. Tried it a few times and it was enjoyable but never liked the rushing aspect of it. I'm usually one to build up my base and forces first. Always wished there was a timer of some kind that allowed players to do that before everyone could proceed further into the map. That way everyone had enough time to prepared at least some forces.

I just hope the AI is improved for the offline skirmish maps. Those are still in right? I spent a lot of time doing that. Mostly because I always kept getting interrupted while playing so I had to pause a lot.

I mostly can't wait to see how the story continues. I guess I'm strange in that I love playing RTS such as C&C, Starcraft, Warcraft, Kohan, Warhammer 40K, etc for the story and single player then the multiplayer.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Lothars said:
I don't see how the requirements are ridiculous especially since a computer with around the same specs, i had something like 7 years ago if not more than that.

The GeForce 6600 came out in 2004. Those 2.2 GHz Pentium IV's came out in 2002. I think they're pretty reasonable. Anybody with a 5-6 year old computer should probably think about upgrading anyway.

Mindlog

Minsc said:
That seems pretty in line with my expectations of StarCraft 2 wanting a pretty high end system to run maxed @ 1200p 60fps w/ 8xAA & max quality across every last option. Can't wait for some benchmarks with the final release version!

Yes, benchmarks.

APM though! not FPS

Crisco

Banned
God, those requirements are ridiculously low. An original Xbox could run this game. My old PC that I just replaced last year could probably max this game out.

Minsc

Gold Member
Crisco said:
God, those requirements are ridiculously low. An original Xbox could run this game. My old PC that I just replaced last year could probably max this game out.

Don't confuse minimum with recommended and maximum. Even World of Warcraft will bring high end gpu/cpus to their knees, and that game is a few years old and has lower minimum requirements.

HERE WE GO.

betak.jpg

Pringo

Banned
Does anyone here know when the invite e-mails start going out or is it all guesswork at this point? I want to know when I should start getting disappointed that I haven't received one.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Nooooo. I haven't got an email yet but i just realised i reset my iphone last night and removed my authenticator before i removed it from my battle.net account.

Top Bottom