• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Ozorov said:
He got some maruders/medics i the "final" push i think. At least he got marines/medic
perhaps, but they're not what won the game. what won the game was doing something unexpected and effective.

Corum

Patch notes:

General:

* You can now report misconduct or block communication with a player after completion of a game by right-clicking on the offending player's name in the score screen and choosing Report Abuse or Block Communication.
* You can now view any player's profile after completion of a game by right-clicking on their name in the score screen and choosing View Profile.
* Updated unit and ability tooltips to be accurate in all regions.
* Improved the visibility of units on zerg creep.
* Improved the visibility of team colors for protoss units using warp-in to help distinguish between multiple protoss players.
* Improved the system that handles promotion and relegation between Leagues.
* Improved the Favored functionality to more accurately portray Even matches and display properly in the score screen.
* Improved 2v2 arranged team matchmaking so games are found more quickly.
* Improved replay functionality so missing maps will be downloaded from Battle.net when you view a replay.
* Korea: Improved the logic for the age gate functionality.

Balance Changes:

* GENERAL

o Pathing has been improved so units can now properly block ramps and choke points.
o Made a change to how zerg creep affects doodads, such as trees, to prevent players from seeing the starting location of zerg players through the fog of war.

* TERRAN

o Viking

+ Cost changed from 125 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas to 150 Minerals and 75 Vespene Gas.

o Ghost

+ Cost changed from 100 Minerals and 200 Vespene Gas to 150 Minerals and 150 Vespene Gas.
+ EMP Round radius decreased from 3 to 2.

o Factory

+ Cost decreased from 200 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas to 150 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas.

o Tech Lab

+ Cost decreased from 50 Minerals and 50 Vespene Gas to 50 Minerals and 25 Vespene Gas.

o Reactor

+ Build time increased from 25 seconds to 50 seconds.

o SCV

+ Life decreased from 60 to 45.

o Bunker

+ Build time decreased from 40 seconds to 30 seconds.

o Marine

+ Build time increased from 20 seconds to 25 seconds.

* PROTOSS

o Colossus

+ Thermal Lances damage decreased from 23 to 20.

o Observer

+ Cost increased from 25 Minerals and 75 Vespene Gas to 50 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas.
+ Build time increased from 33 seconds to 40 seconds.

o Stalker

+ Particle Disruptors damage increased from 8 (+6 Armored) to 10 (+4 Armored).
+ Weapon upgrade damage decreased from +1 (+1 Armored) to +1 (+0 Armored).

o Dark Templar

+ Armor type changed from Biological-Psionic to Biological-Psionic-Light.

o High Templar

+ Armor type changed from Biological-Psionic to Biological-Psionic-Light.

o Dark Shrine

+ Build time increased from 80 seconds to 100 seconds.
+ Cost increased from 100 Minerals and 200 Vespene Gas to 100 Minerals and 250 Vespene Gas.

* ZERG

o Baneling

+ Volatile Burst damage increased from 15 (+20 Light) to 20 (+15 Light).

o Roach

+ Burrowed regeneration rate decreased from 10 to 5.
+ Upgraded burrowed regeneration bonus decreased from +20 to +10.

Bug Fixes:

* Fixed an issue affecting the incorrect assignment of arranged teams to certain Leagues.
* Fixed an issue affecting random teams that caused no points being awarded on wins and too many points being removed on losses in certain situations.
* Fixed an issue involving the Bonus Pool display on the Quick Match and Leagues & Ladders pages.
* Korean client: Fixed an issue affecting the ability for Korean players to properly view profiles. They can now see their League ranking on their profile page.
* Fixed an intermittent UI crash on game shutdown.
* Polish client: Fixed a crash which would happen any time a "Player is no longer being revealed!" message was displayed.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ah, that reminds me. has anyone been getting weird graphical glitches since the patch? like odd artifacts with shadows and geometry/vertices shimmering all over the place. seems to happen around hatcheries/lairs/hives

Cheeto

I'm still up for the 1v1 tournament...

edit: wait I didn't realize you can change your name after the patch, mine will probably be different... I'll post it later when I get home.

V_Arnold

Oh my god, my first rush victory happened last night ! :)

Picked terran, a protoss enemy came into my base "scouting", of course I searched around for other nasty stuff, and found one pylon. Built an early barrack (sd->br->sd->ref->br->2*ext+orbital), then killed said pylon.

Then I was about to prepare bunkers for expansion...
and then there were 3 protoss buildings already o_o Nuked them down fast before any Zealot could come out of it, and then I realized that I might only have 6-8 marine and a few more spawning, but he must have spent a lot of money on these wasted buildings I just destroyed. And I was right, only a few zealots were in the base, which died fast, and I won.

Not sure if it would have been the same if he could place that first pylon in a less obvious spot...

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i love rolling out a bunch of ultras all of a sudden. it's so unexpected :lol

btw, has anyone considered the tactic of hiding key units in your nydus network? it takes a while to mass ultras (unless you have surplus resources), and you don't want your opponent to discover your little cluster of ultras, so you hide them in the network until you're ready to make your surprise push. they might discover the ultralisk cavern, but they won't see any ultras so might think you've only just built it.... and then BAM. ultras knocking at their front door.

could do it with any force of units really. the main thing is you're hiding the true size of your army from the enemy and can surprise them with an overwhelming force they were unable to scout.

Kinyou

What actually happens to the units that are in the network while all nydus buildings get destroyed? Would they just disappear?

fanboi said:
How is your quick key setup?

I use 1-3 Hatcherys, the rest for armies.
Actually in like warcraft 3 you can just hotkey multiple buildings to a single hotkey now and press tab to switch which sets you have selected. So I can have 4 hatcheries set to 1, hit 1, s for select larvae, and now I've got 15 to choose from.

Ozorov

Is there any SC2(HD)-commentary besides the ones I'm lookng at now?

Now I've HDStarcraft, Husky, BlizShouter and StarcraftLegacy.

Cru Jones

Scrow said:
ah, that reminds me. has anyone been getting weird graphical glitches since the patch? like odd artifacts with shadows and geometry/vertices shimmering all over the place. seems to happen around hatcheries/lairs/hives

Sometimes units and buildings flicker in and out. Meaning that sometimes I can’t view a unit or I can’t see a building I placed. It isn’t artifacting or anything, I just lose visability of the unit/building, I can still see the terrain perfectly. It didn’t happen to me pre-patch. I guess this is one of those situations where I should be making a bug report. It hasn’t affected me too much, but in the heat of a battle when I can’t select my unit, it can be a problem hahaha.

Cru Jones said:
Sometimes units and buildings flicker in and out. Meaning that sometimes I can’t view a unit or I can’t see a building I placed. It isn’t artifacting or anything, I just lose visability of the unit/building, I can still see the terrain perfectly. It didn’t happen to me pre-patch. I guess this is one of those situations where I should be making a bug report. It hasn’t affected me too much, but in the heat of a battle when I can’t select my unit, it can be a problem hahaha.
hmm does that happen during the replay as well?

fanboi said:
Is banelings a must as Zerg?

chris-013 said:
Yes.
I prefer zergs + banelings when I play zerg.
You need to upgrade to hydralisk and expand as much as possible after your initial attack.

Zlings and Banelings aren't a 'must'

Zzoram said:
This new patch was a pretty serious nerf to Terran/Protoss and a buff to Zerg (why? Zerg seemed to be the most powerful before the patch).

I'm going to be a Zerg player now.

Nah Terran I think have gotten more annoying with faster marauders now =[.. also protoss got a big stalker buff.

DemiMatt

ZealousD said:
My ID remains Zealous.demon. Add me at your earliest convenience.

BTW, I am still taking names for the US 1v1 tourney. If you've changed your ID, note it. If you still want to join in, reply to this post and leave your ID.

ZealousD (Zealous.demon)
Milabrega (Milabrega.milabrega)
Trasher (trasher.trasher)
Pandaman (Panda.craft)
FromTheFuture (Alumus.mosaic)
-COOLIO- (COOLIO.nick)
Wedge7 (wedge.ncn)
TurtleSnatcher (pezradar.gbx)
Zzoram (zzoram.zzoram)
MisterAnderson (VertigoII.vince)
Cheeto (Cheeto.Cheetobandit)
Terproerg (Terproerg.terproerg)
AbortedWalrusFetus (WalrusFetus.aborted)
Procarbine (procarbine.red)
hobart (hobart.hobartaj)
fatty (Robert.fatty)

demi.batsu add meeh!

OMG, High Templar are awesome, I finally used em last night in a 2v2, crushed terran and zerg army.

Ill be able to play tonight from 6pm -10pm pst. When is the tourney?

Meeru

Banned
Nah Terran I think have gotten more annoying with faster marauders now =[.. also protoss got a big stalker buff.
It's not faster marauders but faster banshees/ravens and cheaper vikings. Time to enjoy this new patch :lol

Tourney? I can't play until 1030~pm Central time tonight. Maybe I'll be on during afternoon but I have to be out around 7pm.

clav

claviertekky.exe

woo, so after playing 5 straight rounds after the servers went back up for 2v2, i'm now in COPPER!

I blame my losses on allies who still don't know build orders.

:lol I was in #1 bronze before the reset.

Haven't tried playing 1v1 after the reset. Was gold before, but I was struggling near the bottom half of gold. I'll probably be placed in silver.

Mudkips

Banned
Huge nerf to terran with the marine build time increase.

I would have like to see something along the lines of "Hellions - don't suck anymore".
Bunkers taking less time to build? Fuck that - give them more armor. They're fucking bunkers and they go down faster than supply depots.

clav

Mudkips said:

I would have like to see something along the lines of "Hellions - don't suck anymore".
Bunkers taking less time to build? Fuck that - give them more armor. They're fucking bunkers and they go down faster than supply depots.
With the decrease cost of the Factory, Blizzard wants you to progress to using higher tier units quicker.

The bunkers are nice for offensive base rushing. It's extremely effective against zerg or even Terran if they choke up.

As for Hellions, I think they make long range nice firebats if you're queuing something else up and need to spend 100 quickly.

They're not good to mass, but they certainly make a small difference.

DemiMatt

valenti said:
It's not faster marauders but faster banshees/ravens and cheaper vikings. Time to enjoy this new patch :lol

Tourney? I can't play until 1030~pm Central time tonight. Maybe I'll be on during afternoon but I have to be out around 7pm.

In other news, EggsAndBacon has officially given up Starcraft II

Won

My ID is still Won.tollo for the EU players out there.

Finished my placements. Not sure why the lowered it to 5. Went 3-2 and now I'm in silver. But I was pretty happy in bronze. :(

Also thinking about switching races for now. 4 games were toss mirror matches......which is in line with what I have seen so far.....back to random!....or Zerg.

clav

The Lamonster said:
Anybody? I haven't gotten a chance to play yet but this is the change that intrigued me the most.
I still see a probe/scv/drone for scouting go off to the side of a ramp if the Terran player choked up. It doesn't even try to go up the ramp unless you tell it to approach it outside of the choke rather than the base.

No.

Pachinko

abak.pachinko I'm awful , today I plan to attempt placement but I fully expect to be near the bottom of copper , not home from work for another 4 hours though

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
The Lamonster said:
Anybody? I haven't gotten a chance to play yet but this is the change that intrigued me the most.

I haven't noticed a change, no.

I just finished 1v1 placement and went into Gold league, courtesy of a speedling/baneling build, this is going to be fun!

Minsc

Gold Member
claviertekky said:
I still see a probe/scv/drone for scouting go off to the side of a ramp if the Terran player choked up. It doesn't even try to go up the ramp unless you tell it to approach it outside of the choke rather than the base.

No.

The improvements to pathfinding were very specific:

"units can now properly block ramps and choke points"

So that is probably the only thing you will see.

NA:
AbortedWalrusFetus --- WalrusFetus.aborted
Ace1991 --- ace.abc
Anomarad --- Anomarad.anomarad
aznpxdd --- deltron.zero
Claviertekky --- claviertekky.exe
Corran Horn --- Corran.horn
DemiMatt --- demi.batsu
Dreams-Visions --- Adrian.adrianj
FromTheFuture --- Alumnus.Mosaic
Halycon --- Halycon.Halycon
Hazard --- Haz.Ard
Hobart --- hobart.hobartaj
Ice Monkey --- Operation.Cwal
Milabrega --- Milabrega.Milabrega
MisterAnderson --- PyroGX.ptmc
nildog21 --- Vautrin.ziz
Pachinko --- abak.pachinko
Pandaman --- Panda.Craft
PhoenixDark --- StonyJackson.phoenixdark
Procarbine --- Procarbine.red
Scrow --- Scrow.gaf
Telosfortelos --- TelosFour.telos
Terproerg --- Terproerg.terproerg
The Lamonster --- Lamonster.zone
Turtlesnatcher --- Pezradar.gbx
valenti --- valenti.valenti
Wedge7 --- wedge.wedge
Xirj --- dot.folder
ZealousD --- Zealous.demon
Zzoram --- Zzoram.zzoram

EU:
PNstyle --- pnSTYLE.dima
Syoaran --- Syoaran.syo
Won --- Won.tollo
CidHighwind89 --- Battosai.blood

Added my eu account to the list.

fanboi

Banned
AbortedWalrusFetus --- WalrusFetus.aborted
Ace1991 --- ace.abc
Anomarad --- Anomarad.anomarad
aznpxdd --- deltron.zero
Claviertekky --- claviertekky.exe
Corran Horn --- Corran.horn
DemiMatt --- demi.batsu
Dreams-Visions --- Adrian.adrianj
FromTheFuture --- Alumnus.Mosaic
Halycon --- Halycon.Halycon
Hazard --- Haz.Ard
Hobart --- hobart.hobartaj
Ice Monkey --- Operation.Cwal
Milabrega --- Milabrega.Milabrega
MisterAnderson --- PyroGX.ptmc
nildog21 --- Vautrin.ziz
Pachinko --- abak.pachinko
Pandaman --- Panda.Craft
PhoenixDark --- StonyJackson.phoenixdark
Procarbine --- Procarbine.red
Scrow --- Scrow.gaf
Telosfortelos --- TelosFour.telos
Terproerg --- Terproerg.terproerg
The Lamonster --- Lamonster.zone
Turtlesnatcher --- Pezradar.gbx
valenti --- valenti.valenti
Wedge7 --- wedge.wedge
Xirj --- dot.folder
ZealousD --- Zealous.demon
Zzoram --- Zzoram.zzoram

EU:
PNstyle --- pnSTYLE.dima
Syoaran --- Syoaran.syo
Won --- Won.tollo
CidHighwind89 --- Battosai.blood
fanboi --- fanboi.gaf

This list isn't for the tournement?

Do any of you guys play Heroes of Newerth? It's pretty damn slick. My name there is TheLamonster.

Just thought I'd mention it here because it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of buzz and StarCraft fans might enjoy it.

Mudkips said:

Hellions are fine. I'd have opted for some kind of "buff" for Thors though. They have their moments, but I still wonder about their effectiveness versus just paying the slight extra bit more and getting Battle Cruisers instead. I think they need more hitpoints or higher armor at least, they go down pretty fast when focused down by weaker units. And I also think that they should return to being built by an SCV as if it were a building like in the 2007 Terran demo. That shit was cool.

Also, the Mothership needs some kind of buff or ability to make it not just a more expensive, slower Arbiter.

JWong

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Do any of you guys play Heroes of Newerth? It's pretty damn slick. My name there is TheLamonster.

Just thought I'd mention it here because it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of buzz and StarCraft fans might enjoy it.
No, it's because League of Legends is better. 8P

Edit: New name. JWong.jwong

Top Bottom