• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

MisterAnderson said:
Hellions are fine. I'd have opted for some kind of "buff" for Thors though. They have their moments, but I still wonder about their effectiveness versus just paying the slight extra bit more and getting Battle Cruisers instead. I think they need more hitpoints or higher armor at least, they go down pretty fast when focused down by weaker units. And I also think that they should return to being built by an SCV as if it were a building like in the 2007 Terran demo. That shit was cool.

Also, the Mothership needs some kind of buff or ability to make it not just a more expensive, slower Arbiter.

Thors are somewhat fine, I think their problem that they cant escape is that their special ability is powerful enough that blizz cant justify buffing their general effectiveness for fear of making them OP.

aznpxdd said:
Thors are not fine...they are the single reason why mech blows.

I know they need a buff to general effectiveness but what do you think about the special ability caveat I mentioned? Easy way to take out buildings/siege tanks/colossi etc in one hit it seems.

Also, has anyone noticed stalkers being extremely good now? Read some people saying they are like the new roach.

Trasher

The Lamonster said:
Do any of you guys play Heroes of Newerth? It's pretty damn slick. My name there is TheLamonster.

Just thought I'd mention it here because it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of buzz and StarCraft fans might enjoy it.
Yeah I do. There's a GAF thread for it too.

JWong

Banned
Who the hell goes mass archons? Takes so damn long. The dude had 5 archons and a few immortals when I had 50 hydras.

Cru Jones

chris-013 said:
I can't patch the game :/
I don't know if I need to reinstall...

I was getting a run time error as I was launching it through Steam. If this is what you're doing, try launching just from the shortcut that was created.

chris-013

Shit, I deleted the game and I forgot to copy the starcraft2 folder in my documents, I lost every replay...

Cru Jones said:
I was getting a run time error as I was launching it through Steam. If this is what you're doing, try launching just from the shortcut that was created.

I never used steam in my life !

chris-013

Already tried that and it didn't work even compatibility with XP or vista...
Reinstalling now...

The file "D:\StarCraft II Beta\Support\..\Updates\sc2-0.7.0.14356-0.8.0.14593-x86-Win-enUS-bnet-bin" appears to be corrupt. You may need to download this file again.

Oo

An error was detected while verifying the contents of the file "D:\StarCraft II Beta\Versions\Base14133\patch.SC2Archive". There may be a problem with your system, or with the drive at D:\. You can try updating again. If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support.

oO

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
JWong said:
Is there a way to join ladder WITH a partner?

Way too many joke players out there.
yes, form a party with your partner and enter a 2s as the party leader as you normally would for ladder.

valenti said:
Pretty sure Ice Monkey will enjoy HoN alot more, cuz you only need to control one unit. :lol

sounds simple! ME LIKEY

do you also get to depend on your teammates to pick up the slack when you inevitably screw everything up? cuz everyone knows that's why I like 3v3 and 4v4 :D

JWong said:
Is there a way to join ladder WITH a partner?

Way too many joke players out there.

as panda said. It's prolly a better idea too because you actually get matched against teams that have joke players due to random team. It's easy pickings right now in that respect.

By the way just played a few games with pyro, and i noticed that on a ramp, my reapers were being completely blocked by some of my hellions. Either this is the way it always would be when a unit is attacking (hellions) although I always thought they would let other units past, or it's blizzards new "every unit on ramps causes bad pathfinding" deal they claim they added.

Meeru

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
sounds simple! ME LIKEY

do you also get to depend on your teammates to pick up the slack when you inevitably screw everything up? cuz everyone knows that's why I like 3v3 and 4v4 :D
Yeah, dude, you will love HoN. There's a term that players used, its called "carrying", where other teammates carry you when you play so bad.

Have you played Dota before? It's always 5v5, no more no less, although there may be 6v6.

Also the neogaf clan over there is alot nicer and well mannered, and theres more gaffers playing there.

The Lamonster said:
Do any of you guys play Heroes of Newerth? It's pretty damn slick. My name there is TheLamonster.

Just thought I'd mention it here because it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of buzz and StarCraft fans might enjoy it.

Yes. HoN is amazing and is much better than LoL. A recent patch just added solo matchmaking and CRAZY community stats and resources. It's insane!

Also, add me to the list again -

freakinchair.smash

Ice Monkey said:
sounds simple! ME LIKEY

Yes. Go into the HoN thread right now and ask for a beta invite.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ice Monkey said:
By the way just played a few games with pyro, and i noticed that on a ramp, my reapers were being completely blocked by some of my hellions. Either this is the way it always would be when a unit is attacking (hellions) although I always thought they would let other units past, or it's blizzards new "every unit on ramps causes bad pathfinding" deal they claim they added.
hold position thors to block reaper harass!

does HoN also have arbitrary retarded units fighting that you can concentrate on because you can't handle the uber micro of ol' tyrande over there? if so MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN

Pandaman said:
hold position thors to block reaper harass!

thors are surprisingly the hard counter to reapers :lol

syoaran

6 stright losses - all aganist zerg with a fast expansion, reinforced by zerglings with roaches and flyer's kicking my ass within 10mins. Wow - just never had this problem before - really getting me down (as Terran).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
-COOLIO- said:
what's terrans best aa? the vikings? whats theyre best ground to air aa? rines?
yes yes

Also a turret will kill a void ray on its own. (Unless it runs away to charge shields and attacks to get turret on fire and lets the turret burn)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
aznpxdd said:
Vikings aren't that great against mutas. Only awesome against armored air.
oh, that explains it. i was going tit for tat with this guys mutas and i was trying to think what else i could do.

what's the terran counter for mass mutas then? vikings or rines?

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
-COOLIO- said:
oh, that explains it. i was going tit for tat with this guys mutas and i was trying to think what else i could do.

what's the terran counter for mass mutas then? vikings or rines?
Thors; this is what thors excel at right now. They eat mutas and other light air.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
aznpxdd said:
Vikings aren't that great against mutas. Only awesome against armored air.
They still do 20 a shot. With 9 range vs 3 range you can get in those extra hits you need then flee back to your marine ball. Plus you can run around killing ovies. I like em.

chris-013

Hum... some strats for terran in TvsP ?

Seems like it's all about micro but when he has chargelot and immortal, it's over for me.
I played one game and a protoss did colossus + phoenix, it was impossible to kill the colossus. xD

Won

How long does it take till you actually rank down? Think I lost everything today and now I'm sitting on rank 100 in my division. :lol

Wedge7

chris-013 said:
Hum... some strats for terran in TvsP ?

Seems like it's all about micro but when he has chargelot and immortal, it's over for me.
I played one game and a protoss did colossus + phoenix, it was impossible to kill the colossus. xD

Ghost is the most important unit vs 'toss, its imperative against anyone good you use their emp, makes immortals not so immortal, and makes it so that you can actually run up and snipe that collussus without insta dying.

With the recent patch, they made it even more better to get ghosts, increasing mineral costs by 50, but reducing their heavy gas cost down from 200 to 150. The drawback is that emp only has 2 radius now, as opposed to 3. Ah well, try and get a good preemtive scan and emp his ball.

With the recent change to Tech lab and making it cost less gas, you can get up to ghost tech faster as well, which is good.

Emp of course reduces all 'toss shields by 100, and is AOE, and has the bonus of draining energy from sentries and templars, and as a pimpest play, I used it once when a dt was raping my base since its sorta like a temporary com-stat (lol, I know it sucks, but I still congratulate myself on the quick thinking)

Side note, dunno about everyone, but I sometimes like wasting a 270 mineral scan to kill his observer, as you know the general timing of when its coming out, and its fairly easy to see, I like killing it as the observers gas cost is increased now, seems like a decent trade-off. He's gotta make another one in place of more immortals/collussus

Yaweee

It sounds like scanning needs to be reduced in cost, or MULE needs to give vastly reduced resources. Anything but MULE is a horrible, horrible waste?

Milabrega

I wouldn't want to see MULE get any changes what I would like to see is:

Scan stays 50 energy, but duration and radius is slightly increased

Scan drops in energy, but duration and radius is decreased.

The supply bonus is what really needs to be addressed.

Though I think everything is fine as is. I use mostly MULEs but scan maybe once or twice if needed.

chris-013

Wedge7 said:
Ghost is the most important unit vs 'toss, its imperative against anyone good you use their emp, makes immortals not so immortal, and makes it so that you can actually run up and snipe that collussus without insta dying.

With the recent patch, they made it even more better to get ghosts, increasing mineral costs by 50, but reducing their heavy gas cost down from 200 to 150. The drawback is that emp only has 2 radius now, as opposed to 3. Ah well, try and get a good preemtive scan and emp his ball.

With the recent change to Tech lab and making it cost less gas, you can get up to ghost tech faster as well, which is good.

Emp of course reduces all 'toss shields by 100, and is AOE, and has the bonus of draining energy from sentries and templars, and as a pimpest play, I used it once when a dt was raping my base since its sorta like a temporary com-stat (lol, I know it sucks, but I still congratulate myself on the quick thinking)

Side note, dunno about everyone, but I sometimes like wasting a 270 mineral scan to kill his observer, as you know the general timing of when its coming out, and its fairly easy to see, I like killing it as the observers gas cost is increased now, seems like a decent trade-off. He's gotta make another one in place of more immortals/collussus

Ye I'm already using ghost but I make them a bit later when the protoss don't have a good micro/macro to end the game but against a good player it's tricky to have the time to get ghost... maybe a fast rush ghost squad is now possible with the lower cost of gas.

Wedge7

chris-013 said:
Ye I'm already using ghost but I make them a bit later when the protoss don't have a good micro/macro to end the game but against a good player it's tricky to have the time to get ghost... maybe a fast rush ghost squad is now possible with the lower cost of gas.

Dont really need a 'squad', just 1 ghost can easily turn the tide from a quick attack early. Just hotkey him to something easy, second your getting attacked just jump to him and throw down the emp. If your defending, its extremely hard for toss to snipe him down.

Top Bottom