• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

just watched tlo vs nazgul, pretty good matches although i was disappointed because there werfe supposed to be three but the 3rd and 2nd are the same match. I spose there might not have been a 3rd match since tlo won both the ones I saw but I dunno.

so i would assume then that 3-2 is gold as mentioned, 2-3 is silver and 0-5 is bronze.

Sounds like shit, one win/loss in either direction determines your placement? 10 seems more favorable to cheese or such, especially with as tough as it seems to climb up.

Ice Monkey said:
so i would assume then that 3-2 is gold as mentioned, 2-3 is silver and 0-5 is bronze.

Sounds like shit, one win/loss in either direction determines your placement? 10 seems more favorable to cheese or such, especially with as tough as it seems to climb up.

I dunno cuz someone got 1-4 and got copper.. so 0-5 is probably copper too.. and 2-3 can be bronze or silver..

You forgot the copper people!

IceMarker

I actually watched several Terran vs Zerg and Terran vs Protoss commentaries from HDStarcraft just so I could learn more and better myself at this game. :lol

The videos on Youtube were quite helpful and hopefully I can better my strategy. The most I got out of the videos were while attacking on offensive -> expand to your natural expansion. (AKA Macro)

Trasher

Ice Monkey said:

It depends on the rank of the people you play. I went 3-2 and got Silver. Also, I would assume that if someone went 0-5 they would get Copper and not Bronze.

I went 5-0 in placement. The games averaged around 7 mins each.

Then I lost my first game in platinum but won my next one as i countered a cheese attempt well :)

Trasher

TurtleSnatcher said:
I went 5-0 in placement. The games averaged around 7 mins each.

Then I lost my first game in platinum but won my next one as i countered a cheese attempt well :)
Did you change your name? PezRadar wasn't working for me.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My first attempt at cheese I guess. Built pylon+2 stargates near other base and attacked with 5+ voidrays. Probably should have attacked with 2-3 I guess to win quicker.

Placed in Silver. Dunno how I was favored for all my matches since Im not that good :lol

TurtleSnatcher said:
I dunno cuz someone got 1-4 and got copper.. so 0-5 is probably copper too.. and 2-3 can be bronze or silver..

You forgot the copper people!

Yikes. So that means that 5-0 and 4-1 are plat, 3-2 is gold, 2-3 is silver(or bronze), bronze is yet to be determined and copper so far is 1-4 and 0-5? Maybe they just got rid of bronze :lol

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Ice Monkey said:
Yikes. So that means that 5-0 and 4-1 are plat, 3-2 is gold, 2-3 is silver(or bronze), bronze is yet to be determined and copper so far is 1-4 and 0-5? Maybe they just got rid of bronze :lol

I went 4-1 and got gold.

There isn't really any cut-and-dry stats that put you in a league. It's all up to who you're matched against, etc. If there were a general outline, I think it would be like:

5-0 Plat, 4-1 Plat or Gold, 3-2 Gold or Silver, 2-4, Silver or Bronze, 1-4 Bronze or Copper, 0-5 Copper

Trasher

Ice Monkey said:
No. That is wrong. It isn't solely based on your number of wins. It must factor in the rank of the players you are playing. I've also already said this twice: I went 3-2 and was placed in Silver.

yeah, i suppose thats all there is to it, maybe with the ten matches they went by hard wins/losses and now with the 5 and considering rank they don't need any more than that.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i'm pretty sure there's a whole bunch of background stuff going on in terms of calculating your placement.

probably tracks APM, how many units you produced vs. how many you lost, how quickly you won your match, resource collection rate etc.

might be possible to only get placed in silver or bronze, even if you win 5-0, if your other stats during the matches aren't great.

Paz

Scrow said:
i'm pretty sure there's a whole bunch of background stuff going on in terms of calculating your placement.

probably tracks APM, how many units you produced vs. how many you lost, how quickly you won your match, resource collection rate etc.

might be possible to only get placed in silver or bronze, even if you win 5-0, if your other stats during the matches aren't great.

I think it would be a very very sad day if that was the case.

APm is irrelevant and sc2 requires far less of it than either wc3 or sc1, units produced and lost would be horribly skewed for macro focussed players as would time for winning the match + resource collection rate.

A few places on the net had people complaining after the reset because ex platinum players matched each other in their placements and some ended up screwed because of it, this further supports the idea that only win and loss stats are counted.

I'm sure the win/loss states are weighted appropriately though, based on your opponents win and loss stats.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Scrow said:

First two matches, I lost. Decently long. Lost the macro game both times.

Third game, Fairly long. First 10 minutes goes back and forth. We both got a single expansion, I almost got a third one. I end up winning with an MMM push, opponent made mistake of getting stalkers, not collosi.

Fourth game was a PvT. Noob Terran didn't wall, didn't scout, died to my proxy.

Fifth game was ZvZ. Zerg opponent made mistake of not anticipating roaches. Had sent 4 zerglings, and by that time I had 3 roaches. He died to a standard 13 pool roach push. I had managed to get a Lair, but didn't do anything beyond that.

I can't remember exactly which matches I was favored in, but I want to say I was favored in MOST of them.

aznpxdd

Yeah, I'm pretty damn sure more goes into placements than just pure records.

In other news, me and Haz just got placed into 2v2 Plat, 5-0 tonight. Did nothing but mass stalkers + micro, and always #1 in score. :D

IceMarker

The game does track your APM in the background.

Open any replay and go to the top left corner and click the button that says "None" and switch the info tab to APM.

So far I average around 20-30 APM, apparently though I'm faster than most coppers, but still lose alot. :lol
The fastest loss I've had so far, the guy had 50 APM. I about shat mah pants. I can't imagine going against a pro or even anyone in Platinum!

aznpxdd

MrMister said:
The game does track your APM in the background.

Open any replay and go to the top left corner and click the button that says "None" and switch the info tab to APM.

So far I average around 20-30 APM, apparently though I'm faster than most coppers, but still lose alot. :lol
The fastest loss I've had so far, the guy had 50 APM. I about shat mah pants. I can't imagine going against a pro or even anyone in Platinum!

I think I average ~70 APM, but really my APM only shoots up into the 200-300's when I'm microing/kiting units. I still don't really get the APM spam I see a lot of people do.

aznpxdd said:

In other news, me and Haz just got placed into 2v2 Plat, 5-0 tonight. Did nothing but mass stalkers + micro, and always #1 in score. :D

I lost my teammate =[

aznpxdd said:
Nah I'm still playing with you as my main. :D

I'm just messing around with toss at the moment. I'm sticking with Terran as my main race with you.
fyi i tweaked some of my build.. been testing it in 1v1's

its hella awesome..

We shall test drive it maybe tomorrow.

Its actually what got me 5-0 in 1v1 to get to platinum.. I'm 6-1 now.

My only loss was close too.. I actually took out his whole base but since Terrans are so god damn mobile in Kulas Ravine.. it made it difficult as he began to annoy in ways that were hard for me to counter.. though would be awesome in a 2v2.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
aznpxdd said:

Not macroing my best today, was closer in score first few games, then on last 2 matches on Twilight Fortress I made fast tanks twice.

Watched the TF replay again and some things to note:
1) I can't spell in game
2) I didn't do well with macro at ALL (or place my tanks in good spots)
3) Stalkers move surprisingly fast
4) You can get a ton of stalkers off 1 base
5) Stalkers are damn good

Such a great tactic with good support. Got reaper harassed but got saved by stalkers.
I'll upload the long 2v2 (33 mins real time) on Metalopolis comeback victory here (Should work this time!): http://www.mediafire.com/?yijux1n2odn

Some nice storms and control by Future, fail macro by me (Seriously terrible), fail macro from Zerg, 12 ultras, and I thought the match was pretty interesting.
Forgot upgrades as usual.

Here's a ZvT with an interesting strat... Almost don't want to show it since it looks unstoppable! (Queen attack) http://www.mediafire.com/?zjy14imyyqi

Trasher

aznpxdd said:

Definitely learned the worth of mass Stalkers tonight. Stalkers with Blink are pretty awesome.

Btw, how do you get the music to play during a replay?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
anyone know what the terran counter for roaches is?

the thor vs muta thing works great btw. thanks advice guy for that advice.

ZealousD said:
First two matches, I lost. Decently long. Lost the macro game both times.

Third game, Fairly long. First 10 minutes goes back and forth. We both got a single expansion, I almost got a third one. I end up winning with an MMM push, opponent made mistake of getting stalkers, not collosi.

Fourth game was a PvT. Noob Terran didn't wall, didn't scout, died to my proxy.

Fifth game was ZvZ. Zerg opponent made mistake of not anticipating roaches. Had sent 4 zerglings, and by that time I had 3 roaches. He died to a standard 13 pool roach push. I had managed to get a Lair, but didn't do anything beyond that.

I can't remember exactly which matches I was favored in, but I want to say I was favored in MOST of them.

for serious, i'm most interested in what made you proxy the fourth game. was it just noticing he didnt wall or that you didnt see scv/scan or a combo of both?

I fear I may never be good enough to actually see one or two of those things and act appropriately, it just seems beyond me.

Trasher said:
Definitely learned the worth of mass Stalkers tonight. Stalkers with Blink are pretty awesome.

Btw, how do you get the music to play during a replay?

stalkers can take any buff they can get. I just love the damn things.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Hazaro said:
Here's a ZvT with an interesting strat... Almost don't want to show it since it looks unstoppable! (Queen attack) http://www.mediafire.com/?zjy14imyyqi
heh, interesting strat. if it becomes something widely exploited without any real counter from either race i could see transfusion becoming an ability that's either trained or automatically unlocked with a Lair or Hive.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Scrow said:
heh, interesting strat. if it becomes something widely exploited without any real counter from either race i could see transfusion becoming an ability that's either trained or automatically unlocked with a Lair or Hive.
Hey if it turns out to be OP I'll abuse the shit out of it and spread the word so Bliz nerfs Zerg :D

*Also haly and trasher I watched that double proxy 2 gate game... you both could have held it off easily but made poor choices.

Walling off with a creep tumor + spine crawlers, skipping the forge to get zealots, or going straight for forge, spending your 400 minerals, getting only 1 gas to get roaches, vomiting larva earlier, and making roaches instead of lings (roaches take 1.5 seconds longer to build than lings). Banelings would have been a good choice as well if you had saved your zerglings after sniping 2 lots (which was very good).

Other team was stupid for putting it in scouting path.
Just some tips to make you not lose to proxies :)

That queen thing can't work too well..

The way we were seeing it in that replay was so situational..

The guy went reapers.. got caught as he was going down there.. and just not many terrans do that.

Likewise on him only making 6 marines yet had if I recall 700+ resources and not even making marauders or more marines when the queen attacked.. and he gave up like halfway through.. If he got all those lings he could have gone on a kite spree with maurs and queens and they prob wouldnt be ablet o kill 3 in times another 3 came out with kiting.. then they'd just burn their energy.

Just don't think it would work.

JWong

Banned
I guess Bnet doesn't match you with your skill level because I did a 2v2 with one good player on my team and another good player on the other team.

They were certainly out of the copper league.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TurtleSnatcher said:
That queen thing can't work too well..

The way we were seeing it in that replay was so situational..

The guy went reapers.. got caught as he was going down there.. and just not many terrans do that.

Likewise on him only making 6 marines yet had if I recall 700+ resources and not even making marauders or more marines when the queen attacked.. and he gave up like halfway through.. If he got all those lings he could have gone on a kite spree with maurs and queens and they prob wouldnt be ablet o kill 3 in times another 3 came out with kiting.. then they'd just burn their energy.

Just don't think it would work.
The queens could heal each other for 125 hp at least 12 times. (Keep in mind they are 1 armor and 175hp)
I think he could have pulled it off regardless.

Who wants to test it :)

Hazaro said:
The queens could heal each other for 125 hp at least 12 times. (Keep in mind they are 1 armor and 175hp)
I think he could have pulled it off regardless.

Who wants to test it :)

Yes I even noted the healing eachother in my post.

I dont think they could have pulled it off..

He had 6 marines..

If he didnt make reapers he would have had much mroe then that.

and he had 700+ resources. if he made other units he would have had more and spent his resources much more wisely. On top of that Marauders slowing walk speed already with their shots and queens being the slowest fricken walking units on gods green earth would have been fun kiting for them. Marauders also have 2 more range. Also they are +10 vs armored so I still dont think itd be possible.. just too much dmg too fast. They would last a long time thats for sure thanks to healing.

JWong said:
I guess Bnet doesn't match you with your skill level because I did a 2v2 with one good player on my team and another good player on the other team.

They were certainly out of the copper league.
Did you check their profiles and see?

Also said you were copper in 1v1.. but are you copper in 2v2? Or are you in placement still?

I have never had a platinum 1v1 or 2v2 where I was paired with anyone below gold.. And I've only been paired with someone in Gold maybe 3 out of 40 times..

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TurtleSnatcher said:
Yes I even noted the healing eachother in my post.

I dont think they could have pulled it off..

He had 6 marines..

If he didnt make reapers he would have had much mroe then that.

and he had 700+ resources. if he made other units he would have had more and spent his resources much more wisely. On top of that Marauders slowing walk speed already with their shots and queens being the slowest fricken walking units on gods green earth would have been fun kiting for them. Marauders also have 2 more range. Also they are +10 vs armored so I still dont think itd be possible.. just too much dmg too fast. They would last a long time thats for sure thanks to healing.
Pretty sure Queens are neither Light or Armored so they would only take 9.
Also 2 rows of queens can attack buildings and transfusion has a range of like 8 and heals instantly. Plus could could be teching to mutas or massing lings, or just make another 2 hatch to pump more queens out. :lol
Best part if T lifts off the queens AA is really powerful and they can't run. (Well maybe from a queen)

Only way is to test it.

Top Bottom