• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Akim

Banned
Anyone have a few tips for someone who has no idea what they are doing? I want to play zerg.

How many workers should I put on minerals/gas?
When/How often should I expand?
Where is a good place to go to learn all of the units?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MrMister said:
Terran is my main, I suck with Zerg so I never play it, and Protoss I'm starting to get a handle on... but 90% of the time I go good ol' Terran.

My usual very early build order is...

-11 SCV's
-Supply Depot
-3 SCV's
-Barracks
-2 Supply Depots
-4 Marines
-2 Refineries
-Bunker
-Barracks
This is my general BO (Note I do it by memory I haven't actually written it down ever)
Supply with 9th SCV (Start building your 10th, so make it at 10/11)
Rax after supply finishes
More SCV's
Gas at rax 75%
Orbital Command (goes in here somewhere, usually when I notice when I have 150 minerals...)
3 SCVs on gas
Tech lab on rax (optional marine to kill scout)
Supply to finish wall

vT (Fast tanks or 2 rax reactor) [SCAN THEM]
vP (another tech rax for early mard pressure followed by another 2 rax reactor to counter stalkers / immortals) (Get early Stim) [You walk into their base so no need for scan, if cannons scan]
vZ (3 tech labs + 1 reactor if roaches, get early stim. Otherwise 2 tech + 2 reactor.[SCAN THEM IF YOU CAN'T SCOUT]

Then look for timing attacks, e.g. if zerg just expanded, you see his spire at 0-50% done, going Lair, etc.
Akim said:
Anyone have a few tips for someone who has no idea what they are doing? I want to play zerg.

How many workers should I put on minerals/gas?
When/How often should I expand?
Where is a good place to go to learn all of the units?
2 per mineral for optimal, 3 for saturated. 3 for gas.
Either early expand (10-15) supply, but takes good game sense, etc. You can just run 1 base by pumping drones like mad with your queen and push your advantage.
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Zerg_Strategy
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Units

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pandaman said:
*pick toss*
lose.
*pick terran*
lose.

hmmm.

SPEEDLINGKEKEKE
SPEEDLINGKEKEKE
SPEEDLINGKEKEKE

3-2, placed in gold.

2zhgkmw.jpg
o899v6.jpg

Corum

Akim said:
When/How often should I expand??

Sometimes, a good time to expand can be when you're just in the process of making a sizeable push on your opponent, as they'll be too busy defending to threaten your expansion but obviously counter-attacks need to be considered.

Paz

MrMister said:
Just got murdered early on a 2v2 from a quick 4 Zealot rush. Talk about cheap.

I did the build order Paz stated too... it worked on some maps but not against a 4 Zealot quick rush. Wiped out my depots and my 2 little marines standing were gone... I even used the SCV's and by the time I wiped all 4 out he sent the rest of his troops along with his pals.

Damn this game is cruel to me all the damn time... Still can't crawl outta the bottom of the Copper pit.

For some positive news I did actually win a few games since my last post. My record though is still 7-16.

Make sure you are finishing the wall in process early on if you fear a rush, simply move the 2nd supply depot up in your build order.

If they come at you with zealots and you have properly blocked your ramp then bring a bunch of scvs over from your mineral line (do this ASAP, this is more important than ANYTHING else at that time) and spread them out repairing your 2 supply depots (usualy only 2-3 can reach a depot before blocking the reset).

If you do this and continue to make marines you should be able to hold off any early game rush, the choke point will mean only ~2 zealots can fit close enough to attack one supply depot at a time and yours scv should repair as fast or faster than the zealots can do damage.

Also make sure your barracks has its rally point set inside the base in an unblocked direction, you dont want marines popping out into harms way.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone here not like some of the sc2 sounds? Some guy on teamliquid made a sound pack that replaces a lot of the lackluster sc2 sounds with the old ones. Mostly for zerg and some protoss and a couple terran units. He also has a thing up that will put the old sc music into your game along with the sc2 music. I definitely think sound effects/voices are the biggest problems with the game right now.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
BananaBomb said:
Anyone here not like some of the sc2 sounds? Some guy on teamliquid made a sound pack that replaces a lot of the lackluster sc2 sounds with the old ones. Mostly for zerg and some protoss and a couple terran units. He also has a thing up that will put the old sc music into your game along with the sc2 music. I definitely think sound effects/voices are the biggest problems with the game right now.

I hate that the starport has the same sound as the the radar addon for the old command center - so jarring ... But IMO most of the sounds are fine, we don't have any stupid sounds like the Terran academy at least - though I think they should remove the building sounds altogether - it's all unneccesary noise

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BananaBomb said:
Some of the sounds should be more pronounced/harsher yes.
It's been brought up on Blizz forums... but no one seemed to care.

Akim

Banned
So I tried a game...

I decided to make banelings. Too bad I didn't actually read what they do. There was a barrier that you had to destroy in order to move through the map. I sent my banelings to destroy it and blew them all up.

:lol :lol .............:(

YYZ

Is sensor tower pretty useless or what? I've seen it used once in all the commentaries I've watched (dozens now). It's pretty stupid that the enemy can see its range, that doesn't make any sense.

IceMarker

I seem to be winning a lot of matches just spamming marines at my front door and slowly massing around 24 Reapers and then once it's safe send the reapers after the mineral line/main base and then surprise wiping out my opponent! :lol

So far it's worked 4 times lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
6 pool is almost a free win versus toss if you snipe the pylon. :(

also im in the same league as deltron! im doomed!

Akim said:
So I tried a game...

I decided to make banelings. Too bad I didn't actually read what they do. There was a barrier that you had to destroy in order to move through the map. I sent my banelings to destroy it and blew them all up.

:lol :lol .............:(

That's pretty awesome :lol

Gona get to finally watch those TLI games, I'm expecting great things from what everyones been saying!

YYZ said:
Is sensor tower pretty useless or what? I've seen it used once in all the commentaries I've watched (dozens now). It's pretty stupid that the enemy can see its range, that doesn't make any sense.
Sensor towers rock.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
YYZ said:
they're basically a no fly zone that you never want to attack through.

I'm really enjoying watching the day[9] commentaries. Learning alot, and thinking about the game even when I don't have the time to play it

AcridMeat

Banned
Hey guys, really sorry if this has been addressed but is there something I'm missing about the friends lists? Every time I add a friend it says they couldn't be found.

AcridMeat said:
Hey guys, really sorry if this has been addressed but is there something I'm missing about the friends lists? Every time I add a friend it says they couldn't be found.
EU and NA are separate. This may be why, especially if you are in EU - because most of Gaf is NA.

AcridMeat

Banned
The Lamonster said:
EU and NA are separate. This may be why, especially if you are in EU - because most of Gaf is NA.

Yeah that would explain why one friend didn't get the request, they are EU and I'm NA. However it doesn't explain why my friend IRL couldn't be found (they're the one that gave me a beta code).

Arzehn

msv said:
Multiple games played at the same time? Two different games are on on the streams.

Not sure, I been watching the iccup one, more interested in watching lzgamer play anyway. Currently frozen for everyone though, hah.

msv

Anomarad said:
Not sure, I been watching the iccup one, more interested in watching lzgamer play anyway. Currently frozen for everyone though, hah.
Yeah, both of em are frozen. Always the same thing with those livestreams :/

It's back! woot

Ugh..

Been doing 2v2 Randoms.. and have been getting paired with the newbiest of allies.

First ally made all Banelings.. then use the hotkey to explode them...

Yea.... Lets just say 20+ banelings exploded 10+ feet away from any unit.. :\

Then... my next game my partner was Protoss.. and decides to go the whole "Ill make 1 gateway.. 1 forge.. and 5 units in about 20 mins.. with no wall" strategy..

Yea.. that went well.

He got rolled over as I kept harassing with Speedlings on the other Zerg we were fighting and his partner a Terran was just massing marines..

I then went Banelings and Mutas.. Took out his Zerg partner completely and the Terran decided to switch to Marines and Vikings.. I send about 30 banelings at him.. mow down his infantry and a ton of Supply Depots.. then I constantly harass and contain and switch over to Hydras.. I also continued to make units at my partners base which still had a nexus and a gateway and a few probes (He left).

I somehow won that 2v1.. :lol

The Lamonster said:
Does the Yamato cannon have splash damage?
Pandaman said:
YYZ said:
Liquipedia doesn't say anything about yamato having splash.
valenti said:
Yeah yamato cannon is single target dude.

I was like wtf no it doesn't have splash, but I just did a test game and uh yeah it totally does have it :eek:

wait so.. I'm trying to do it again and it doesn't seem to be doing splash, umm lemme see...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Trasher said:
Crazy game.

Yo man, we should redo our 2s placement.
Sometime tomorrow, then, I'm pretty busy right now and will be spares next week.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
YYZ said:
honestly, for its small cost, there's really no reason for any terran NOT to put at least one down. that intel is invaluable for incoming drops, and sometimes if your opponent isn't too confident about the drop it can act as a deterent to the drop altogether.

ACE 1991

alright guys, my mid/late game is pretty terrible so far. My opening seems alright, and I'm getting early economic harasses in. However in order to get the units needed (I use 2 medivacs filled with marauders) for the harass, I find myself unteched up in the mid game. What should I be doing? I really want some gaffers to play with who are willing to teach me the ropes, my id is ace.edkins

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ACE 1991 said:
alright guys, my mid/late game is pretty terrible so far. My opening seems alright, and I'm getting early economic harasses in. However in order to get the units needed (I use 2 medivacs filled with marauders) for the harass, I find myself unteched up in the mid game. What should I be doing? I really want some gaffers to play with who are willing to teach me the ropes, my id is ace.edkins
Why mards instead of marines or hellions?

Also I just saw the early pressure lings / -> muta -> muta baneling -> hydra
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/userstream.php?user=iCCup.TV

I've heard Terrans have been having trouble with this, I didn't really see any openings for the Terran since zerg can pump lings off his 2 hatch to counter a push / make spine crawlers.

Top Bottom