• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Trasher

ZealousD said:
Just did a quick number crunch. 4 day rule on a double elimin tournament with 24 players makes the tournament last just over a full month. 32 days. Kinda long.

3 day rule would make that 24 days, little more manageable.
It might help too if you let people who are more active, and who are on a lot, continue to play their matches if the bracket permits them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Trasher said:
It might help too if you let people who are more active, and who are on a lot, continue to play their matches if the bracket permits them.

Maybe, but I can also see how that would turn into a clusterfuck real fast.

Trasher

ZealousD said:
Maybe, but I can also see how that would turn into a clusterfuck real fast.
As long as people post their results, and we have a bracket to update, it shouldn't. And if it helps guarantee that people are able to fit their matches in then it would probably be for the best.

IceMarker

I decided to finally upload one of my replays for you guys.

Basically a game on Desert Oasis between me and another Terran player.
I called it Reaper's Last Stand because I end up winning by just a hair.
It was a great game and I laughed pretty hard after winning. :lol

Anyways, enjoy my newbie-ness and sub-30 APM!

I may upload more of mine in the future... dunno.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ZealousD said:
Definitely not Alphabetical. Maybe reverse alphabetical? :lol
well, take each digit in a name and convert it to a numeric value according to reverse alphabetical order. then go through the name DMAS style and the number with the lowest common denominator wins.

example:

pandaman
p/a*n+d-a/m*a+n=

JEESUS M CHRIST

I just had a 46 minute long 4 player FFA.

Holy shit that stuff was intense... I almost died early to a roach rush.. Ended up coming back with some Mutalisks.. I somehow fend off BC's with a ball of Mutas.. I make like 8 brood lords and never use em in the game.. they just sat in a corner since so many people had fricken air

1 Toss was mass carriers.. the Terran was Vikings and BCs.. I was Mutas.. Broodlords and Corrupters and Zerglings..

The other zerg went mass hydras but died early

Holy hell.. I need to upload this replay.. We were all fighting for gas/gold at the end.. it was pretty nuts.. like some people were mining from a distance while I had a nice stockpile of 5000 minerals thankfully since I was fairly supply capped and turtled lol.. so I lived off that for a while then took 2 expansions at the end and somehow won.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
don't know if I posted already but, if anyone wants a bronze+ level terran player to do some 2v2 with (or whatever) definitely add me: andvari.gybe

btw corrupters aint half bad vs carriers and stuff..

I always thought they were just terribad.. but man mix them in with a few mutas and FF.. insta death for carrier.

ZealousD

Okay, I'll give you guys a day to deliberate over the tournament rules, and then I'll post the bracket.

Biggest touching points.

__ day rule? - How many days? 3 or 4?

Fixed race? - Should people choose their race and keep it consistent throughout the tournament?

Check in system? - Agreeable to everybody? Coin toss when even? Limit number of default wins one can accumlate?

If I don't see a consensus, I'll make an executive decision.

Trasher said:
As long as people post their results, and we have a bracket to update, it shouldn't. And if it helps guarantee that people are able to fit their matches in then it would probably be for the best.

Is the tournament roster set in stone yet? If not I'd like to join in!

Zzoram

Trasher said:
Gotta also factor in how many SCVS you have too. Would be 16 on the regular minerals, and 12 on the gold minerals.

Not to mention that it takes about 1 minute to fly over to the gold minerals where you aren't mining. Also, if they scout early and realize what you've done, you're screwed.

Deltron and I just placed Silver in 2v2 :lol

Man we are gonna rape our way up the ladder.. I'm actually kind of excited.

Ive never been lower then platinum since I've started

Insaniac

any strats on using Toss? My usual is just fast teching straight to stalkers and warpgate then getting about 5-7 warpgates and just overrunning the enemy.

I try to think of other units to throw in...

Immortals vs Zerg roach mass

Storm/colossi vs MMM

out-macro vs protoss?

(assuming the game doesn't go long in which case I'll tech carriers with a mothership)

Trasher

ZealousD said:
Okay, I'll give you guys a day to deliberate over the tournament rules, and then I'll post the bracket.

Biggest touching points.

__ day rule? - How many days? 3 or 4?

Fixed race? - Should people choose their race and keep it consistent throughout the tournament?

Check in system? - Agreeable to everybody? Coin toss when even? Limit number of default wins one can accumlate?

If I don't see a consensus, I'll make an executive decision.
3 days.

People should play one race, or random of course if they want.

Check in system should be used at the beginning of every round that is played.

Insaniac said:
any strats on using Toss? My usual is just fast teching straight to stalkers and warpgate then getting about 5-7 warpgates and just overrunning the enemy.

Storm/colossi vs MMM

out-macro vs protoss?

(assuming the game doesn't go long in which case I'll tech carriers with a mothership)

That seems the basic path for Toss, although some people prefer a mix of zealot/sentry with their stalkers.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Finally get into a FFA game for first time ever, start off well (besides accidentally building over my expansion :lol ) and I disconnect somehow

damn.gif

Xirj

Insaniac said:

Storm/colossi vs MMM

out-macro vs protoss?

The stalker macro can be really dismantled by immortals so watch out for that. This may not be as important in 1v1 but in 2v2, the other player can help the enemy protoss player rush to immortals.

zoukka

TurtleSnatcher said:
Ive never been lower then platinum since I've started

How many games you've played in ladder?

And yeah the corrupters are so much ass. I mean sure they can hold their ground against anything massive, but that's because those are the only fucking units they can keep up with. Slow rate of fire, minimal damage (only 3 more than mutas do WTF!), 150 gas and slow as fuck. And needs to stop to fire @_.

I guess you should really abuse the corrupt buildings ability, but they are just too slow for that kind of harrassment.

Combined 1v1 and 2v2? I dunno 50-70ish.

Also Corrupters are 100 gas.. not 150.

And like I said they work well with balls of Mutas.

EDIT: In fact no one on this page said they were ass yet you said "And yea the corrupters are so much ass" which doesnt really make sense since no one said that and it sounded like you were agreeing with someone.

Also where has everyone been lately.. no ones been playing.. (Panda, Mil, Zeal)

Dreavus

TurtleSnatcher said:
Combined 1v1 and 2v2? I dunno 50-70ish.

Also Corrupters are 100 gas.. not 150.

And like I said they work well with balls of Mutas.

EDIT: In fact no one on this page said they were ass yet you said "And yea the corrupters are so much ass" which doesnt really make sense since no one said that and it sounded like you were agreeing with someone.

Also where has everyone been lately.. no ones been playing.. (Panda, Mil, Zeal)

He was probably referring to your "I always thought they were just terribad" comment.

I only build them if I'm getting Broodlords :p

zoukka

Morning mode/

Yes 150 minerals, not gas. Have you guys seen them being used to harrass production? I seem to remember the corrupt ability only when I'm pushing for the final attack and while hovering over enemy buildings :b Not that it matters anymore at that point.

Didn't they have some kind of special ability before beta or in the beginning of it? Just like there were lurkers...

ZealousD

This bracket looks so fucked up.

Double elimination with 23 people was not meant to be done! :lol

Dreavus said:
He was probably referring to your "I always thought they were just terribad" comment.

I only build them if I'm getting Broodlords :p
Ah yea your right.

zoukka said:
Morning mode/

Yes 150 minerals, not gas. Have you guys seen them being used to harrass production? I seem to remember the corrupt ability only when I'm pushing for the final attack and while hovering over enemy buildings :b Not that it matters anymore at that point.

Didn't they have some kind of special ability before beta or in the beginning of it? Just like there were lurkers...

Nah just was confused but now it makes sense lol.

I haven't seen them used to harass.. its only 30 secs for the energy.. its nice if you are attacking and they are trying to make like anti air or something and u wanna shut down their buildings while u finish em off.. but that seems to be about it. It'd be cool to Corrupt units like it use to do =[

Its good Disabling Photon Cannons I guess.. and Missle Turrets.. :\

JWong

Banned
Man, I was lagging on SC so badly that everyone was mad at me. 8(

Never had lag that bad. It was definitely my PC performance.

ZealousD

Zzoram said:
When you post the bracket, can you make sure it is bumped to every new page? It would be a shame to miss it.

I will. I'll have a thread in the Online Forum for the tournament so this thread doesn't get cluttered with people checking in and such. In this thread, I'll be posting the bracket on each page during the first round and then once for every subsequent round. I'm also extending the normal deadline for the first round by 2 days to fully ensure that people see the bracket.

poserdonut said:
What's the best counter to mutalisk as terran?
Thors (seriously).. Each Thor does 4 missles an attack and it does +dmg to light armor whihc Mutas have..

Also Vikings and Stimmed Marines (With Med vacs not just a clump of 10-12)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
In low numbers turrets at your bases will do, then you'll need marines support, and if they get a large number of them you'll need to suicide a raven or 2 into them.
Vikings are semi ok at taking pot shots or sniping them as long as you have somewhere safe to fallback to.

*Just played a 2v2 Random to get a feel for my mouse and it was a good player paired up with a super turtling Terran (Made a supply wall 3 depots think, 4 bunkers and 6 tanks in his main with 3 turrets and 2 sensory towers. Hilarious.

After we beat the competent Toss, he actually counter attacked but I set up a nice dual pincer attack with my seiged tanks in the back, scan giving me sight + range, then pushing up the otherside with my tanks / marines.

We sniped his PF expo then I sieged up around his main containing him.
Partner said 'If you nuke him I'll give you a cookie'

Nukes it was.
4 ghost acads go down, 4 nukes go up, 4 nukes go down.

Turns out the other partner stayed in game for another 20 minutes :lol
Even though his Turtle Terran buddy got nuked "you are my hero".

I'm surprised how fast and accessible nukes are. I'll be sure to try to use them in longer games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Korea PC Cafes get SC II beta...
http://www.sc2blog.net/ (Any comments overall would be nice too)

I guess it's a good thing US and Asia servers are separate :lol
At least we will hopefully see new builds and matches being solved quickly.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
8000th reply!

and it officially puts us on the 2nd page of the threads with most replies :)

2qwzsrp.jpg

got a looooong way to go before we beat the rock band thread which weighs in at 117,959 replies ;)

Top Bottom