• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
-COOLIO- said:
im letting my roomate use my account and hes butchering my rank. how do i cope gaf?
Make him play custom games

Or let me play a bit. I want to try queen rushing :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
aznpxdd said:
By the way, are there any good replays/youtubes showing good use of the hunter missile thing from Ravens?
Just get in range and it wrecks. (I don't know of any pro-reps though)
I also use it to snipe tank clusters in TvT (2 HSR for 3 or 4 tanks)

In a fun GAF 2v2 I got ravens since I saw mass mutas and I had 2 HSM kill 31 mutas and the rest had 4-15 hp. (He had 65)

It killed 4 of my medivacs that were fighting and a ton of my marines but worth it. (Since mutas can outrun the HSR you basically have to suicide your ravens, but the cost is easily worth it)

Ive been playing really bad today =[

Just did 1v1 Ladder and it didnt go so well on my first game.. I was just late on EVERYTHING. Not paying attention to my town etc.

This is on top of our 2v2's where I was also terrible :(

Thankfully rebounded in my next 1v1 ladder and beat some Toss who I think was teching to Immortals.. not sure..

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Got dropped from bnet there right after the game, gg guys, my connection is really bad for some reason tonight, so I think I'm done for now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
aznpxdd said:
By the way, are there any good replays/youtubes showing good use of the hunter missile thing from Ravens?
Obs a game with Valenti playing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anomarad said:
I'm so disappointed in Lz's loss.
I'm not. He played terribly.
So stupid he deserved that and more.

The Toss who played also had terrible stalker micro. He could have easily dealt double the damage and not needed to wait for immortals.
I dug the forward immortals but the zerg shouldn't have lost to that and made more lings / hydras...
Which we saw in the next game

Arzehn

Hazaro said:
I'm not. He played terribly.
So stupid he deserved that and more.

The Toss who played also had terrible stalker micro. He could have easily dealt double the damage and not needed to wait for immortals.
I dug the forward immortals but the zerg shouldn't have lost to that and made more lings / hydras...
Which we saw in the next game

It's just that he (Lz) plays so much better than that, I tune into his stream every now and then. Shoulda shit on that Terran. I was sitting there thinking to myself "really? hes gonna let him get tanks and siege?"

Ah well, I learned a lot myself tonight too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anomarad said:
It's just that he (Lz) plays so much better than that, I tune into his stream every now and then. Shoulda shit on that Terran. I was sitting there thinking to myself "really? hes gonna let him get tanks and siege?"

Ah well, I learned a lot myself tonight too.
Yeah I've watched his stream a few times, he is a better player than that.
Was just shaking my head. He didn't even use his rax to get sight (He had 9 goddam it)
Didn't even get 4 hellions to support (vs tanks since more gas investment), that would of only cost him 100 gas he was spending on NOTHING.

He even mentioned in chat that he was afraid to tech since the T was so close to his expo. (But he could of scanned once or flew a rax instead of calling down 15 MULEs on his HY).
fanboi said:
So I didn't play during this weekend... two days... and I lost 4 games in a row... DEAR GOD.
I play a custom match or 2 before I play ranked so things like this don't happen.
I think I have 1 placement 1v1 left.

*And I'm only being critical because people can only improve at Starcraft :)

Me and a friend tried to 2v1 vs. the computer in StarCraft 1 last night.

We got totally owned all three times. Unfortunately you can't set the AI difficulty or set a handicap % in StarCraft 1.

The Lamonster said:

We got totally owned all three times. Unfortunately you can't set the AI difficulty or set a handicap % in StarCraft 1.

The AI in starcraft sees the entire map, and if you play melee instead of FFA then they will act like they are attacking each other but the moment they see one of your forces or are attacked then the entirety of everyone on the map will rally point inside your base and continually pump tier 1 units until you die.

There is some way you can trick the AI into following around an SCV for an hour or something but what I am sometimes successful with is just turtling up like crazy and mass producing tier 1 units, in bunkers if I'm terran, also mass producing sunken colonies or photon cannons for Z/P.

The most effective way to win against the AI however is using dark templars holding position at your choke, the AI doesnt see them and usually doesnt bring an overlord or observer in order to notice why they cant move into your base.

Meeru

Banned
The Lamonster said:

Wow. Get on SC2.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Can anyone point me in the right direction of a website/FAQ or something where beginners like me can go to?

I haven't played Starcraft before and I just went online first time with the SC2 beta key I recieved and I was literally lost at how to play...I get the general farming for gas and minerals but after that I have no idea...

Sorry for being a noob...but I honestly don't know where to go to learn and read about this stuff.

mcrae

i'd recomend just watching some replays or live streams, other than that if you just want to learn the interface and how to actually build things, and to read their descriptions, play against a computer. dont kill it, just spend your time learning the game.

FoxSpirit

F#A#Oo said:
Can anyone point me in the right direction of a website/FAQ or something where beginners like me can go to?

I haven't played Starcraft before and I just went online first time with the SC2 beta key I recieved and I was literally lost at how to play...I get the general farming for gas and minerals but after that I have no idea...

Sorry for being a noob...but I honestly don't know where to go to learn and read about this stuff.

Unfortunately not much has published yet, so it's mostly replays and scouring forums.
The actual SCII release will have multiplayer tutorials to help people get started in the vs game.

Corran Horn said:
Is it possible to join FFAs via Find Match? Like 3 times now I been searching for 15+ minutes :/
Yep it is.

Just not many people do FFAs as much as the others..probably why you are not having a good time finding a game.

F#A#Oo said:

Watch some replays with commentary.. it helps you get the jist of stuff.. Also SC2Armory is pretty good for general unit information and stats on each unit and tech trees.

Zzoram

Ice Monkey said:
The AI in starcraft sees the entire map, and if you play melee instead of FFA then they will act like they are attacking each other but the moment they see one of your forces or are attacked then the entirety of everyone on the map will rally point inside your base and continually pump tier 1 units until you die.

There is some way you can trick the AI into following around an SCV for an hour or something but what I am sometimes successful with is just turtling up like crazy and mass producing tier 1 units, in bunkers if I'm terran, also mass producing sunken colonies or photon cannons for Z/P.

The most effective way to win against the AI however is using dark templars holding position at your choke, the AI doesnt see them and usually doesnt bring an overlord or observer in order to notice why they cant move into your base.

That's how you win 1v7computer. You use a worker to attack their cc/nexus/hatch before they have troops (send 2 of your first workers) and they send ALL their workers to chase yours. Just make your workers run in large circles, but don't get too far ahead of the chasers or they might go home.

Zzoram

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yep it is.

Just not many people do FFAs as much as the others..probably why you are not having a good time finding a game.

I found an FFA last week in a minute or so using matchmaking. FFA isn't really popular at all (turtle fest and paranoia) so it might take until launch to easily find games.

Zzoram said:
I found an FFA last week in a minute or so using matchmaking. FFA isn't really popular at all (turtle fest and paranoia) so it might take until launch to easily find games.
Yea I find FFA's pretty quickly but I can see them taking a while... only because the caliber of play in the game I was in was pretty terrible lol.

Akim

Banned
These novice maps suck. All of my strats include bane rush or roach rush and it's really hard to do with a big ass barrier in the way. What's a good mid game strat for zerg?

ACE 1991

F#A#Oo said:

I'm in the same boat as you. Want to play/learn together? My ID is ace.edkins. Hit me up!

a176

Banned
Akim said:
These novice maps suck. All of my strats include bane rush or roach rush and it's really hard to do with a big ass barrier in the way. What's a good mid game strat for zerg?

hydra + counter to whatever your enemy is using. if you can, think about making broodlords to harass and confuse your opponent.

Vautrin and I hit 2v2 Platinum. We had the weirdest games getting there..

1 ended in less than 2 mins since a guy dropped

Another ended after they failed a rush .. The only got Vauts probes and I was already teched to Mutas.. When I sent my Mutas in.. I took out the Zergs drones... then he left immediately which was confusing.. His partner a terran ended up killing his own base with his own Reapers.. :lol

Then the 1st Platinum game we had.. The guys tried rushing.. and failed.. Then we tried rushing and didnt really do much .. it wasnt much of an attack (Group of 10 lings and a few Banelings).. though Banelings raped the Terrans army when they attempted to hit us.

Then they kept saying "FAIL" in chat like we weren't doing good. Then they would talk to "All" and say "Lets attack and finish them off" like they were cocky.

I took out all of the Protoss probes we were fighting agst.. and his Terran buddies probes too..

Oddly enough he massed a shit ton of Thors.. so I started making a bunch of Zlings while Vautrin had a ton of Immortals which take little to nothing vs Thors. We ran over his army.. and they both just randomly left.. :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just noticed that Ghost EMP mentions uncloaking units that are hit by it. Does that mean you can EMP a dark templar or observer to reveal it?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Damn had a match were I was getting 4+ void rays and the other player went stalkers. He attacked my base and I went for his :lol Ended up destroying each others bases and his very last stalker with 15~hp destroyed my last Void ray...dammmmnnnn

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MisterAnderson said:
Is there a reason that the only difficulty option available to A.I.'s is "very easy"? They literally don't do anything...
because you're here to test balance issues, not single player.

Zzoram

MisterAnderson said:
Is there a reason that the only difficulty option available to A.I.'s is "very easy"? They literally don't do anything...

They want to balance test, and that requires people trying out tons of new strategies and discovering broken ones. The computer opponent will be limited by his programming.

Top Bottom