• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

DemiMatt

Milabrega said:
Na man, I'm not getting past Vautrin, he got that 1v1 platinum style. If I roll the wrong race on Steppes its already over.

Though random vs. random winners final would be awesome. My roads looking very tough.

I'ma predict winners bracket quarter finals come down to:

Pandaman vs Hazard and Procarbine vs DemiMatt

Valenti gets to beat up on Shagg and Hobert in the first two rounds, sorry guys but its true :lol

MILA HAS FAITH IN ME!

t-hanks1.jpg

Halycon said:
Banshee buff makes me want to quit zerg.

Go mila! I am rooting for you from the sidelines.

Trasher too, although there's a good chance you'll bump into each other.

AND THIS IS WHY I WILL WIN THIS TOURNEY!

F#A#Oo

Banned
So I was watching a few youtube commentries of SC2 and they talked about "cheese"...more specifically "advanced cheese"...:D

What is this "cheese"? :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
F#A#Oo said:
So I was watching a few youtube commentries of SC2 and they talked about "cheese"...more specifically "advanced cheese"...:D

What is this "cheese"? :D

Cheese is basically any unorthodox strategy that's meant to quickly end a game. Very often meant to confuse opponents and throw them off their game. Very high risk/reward. Stuff like 6 pool, proxy rushes, etc.

Milabrega

F#A#Oo said:
So I was watching a few youtube commentries of SC2 and they talked about "cheese"...more specifically "advanced cheese"...

What is this "cheese"?

Cheese is an All-in strategy designed to end the game quickly, however if it is discovered, or halted, the cheeser almost universally loses the match.

Proxy rushes, worker unit rushes and 6 pool are the most common known cheese moves. I consider canon rushes to be cheese, but some others don't.

I don't consider things like Quick-Tech to air or stealth units cheese, but some others do.

F#A#Oo

Banned
ZealousD said:
Cheese is basically any unorthodox strategy that's meant to quickly end a game. Very often meant to confuse opponents and throw them off their game. Very high risk/reward. Stuff like 6 pool, proxy rushes, etc.

Interesting...thanks...:D

DemiMatt

hobart said:
haha... no worries! I know exactly what I am (for now!). But Team Hobart is gonna SHOCK THE WORLD (and only be kinda bad... not completely bad).

Side note: val and I still need a rematch from last night ;) Who we face? Demi and ??? -- our Korean friend?!

Lol, were the reapers and banshees too merch?!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Milabrega said:
Cheese is an All-in strategy designed to end the game quickly, however if it is discovered, or halted, the cheeser almost universally loses the match.

Proxy rushes, worker unit rushes and 6 pool are the most common known cheese moves. I consider canon rushes to be cheese, but some others don't.

I don't consider things like Quick-Tech to air or stealth units cheese, but some others do.
IMO quick dt's are cheese since they're such an investment. burrowed roaches, mutas, banshees or warprays i wouldn't consider cheese because you can do other things with the tech.

DT's just get you DT's and rape your vespene.

Milabrega said:
Random, all the cool kids are doing it. We also have the coolest idol-pro in TheLittleOne.
its the bees knees.

ZealousD

Pandaman said:
IMO quick dt's are cheese since they're such an investment. burrowed roaches, mutas, banshees or warprays i wouldn't consider cheese because you can do other things with the tech.

I don't think anything past tier 1 can reasonably be considered cheese.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Mila picked me to do well! I'll be on in a few, I stopped playing this afternoon when I got d/ced 2 games in a row for 1v1 losses :(

aznpxdd

Man, you guys have a weird definition of cheese. IMO, the only cheese (in 2v2 anyways) to me is when both players proxy rush or 6 pool.

Anything goes IMO for 1v1 man. DT rush (or any kind of rush really) isn't cheese b/c if you get killed by DT rush, then its on you for not scouting.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ZealousD said:
I don't think anything past tier 1 can reasonably be considered cheese.
its cheese. if you mess up and lose your dt's, you'll lose before you can get a robotics up in time to protect yourself. they're too costly and too slow to be anything but a hail mary saving throw in the hopes they dont have detectors. :p

mutas open up tier 3 broodlords. roaches are roaches. banshees open up early ravens, can trade the techlab to a barracks and provides a ready source of vikings if neccasary, warp rays kinda suck in terms of options but they dont rape your resources nearly as hard as dt's and they atleast open up protoss t3.

in short, dt's are cheese because dt's are really really bad. >_>

@delt: ofcourse anything goes, nobody is saying cheesing is bad, just that its risky and because of that, not something you should always try.

aznpxdd

Well, just that the term "cheese" has a negative connotation when used in any other game.

If you are able to get wins by taking risks and dt rushing, then respect!

i think its more called cheese because pros cant get away with it as a general strategy.

It's cheese because pros know how to be good at the game legit, macro+micro and such but then for a quick out-of-nowhere win on round 2 or 3 of a best 2 out of 3, you get out your limburger and attempt to surprise your opponent.

Not to mention its like when you see a "cheesy" movie, it's got all the concepts and is maybe a little successful, but compared to a grade-a martin scorsese movie it just falls short maybe due to a little bad ("cheesy") acting or directing, but that doesnt mean it isnt worth your time or is fun to watch anyway.

Like Army of Darkness or The Goonies or Kung Pow or something, they are great, "cheesy" movies but you can't just watch all movies like that over and over. In the same way, cheese tactics are things that you cant reliably pull off over and over, but are successful if you manage to surprise someone with them.

I am starting to spend wayyy to much time watching streams with commentary (mostly day[9], but I'm starting to exhaust those replays so I'll have to find someone else). Its gets me really pumped when I do have time to play.

I still haven't been able to get the timing down for effective warp gates though.

i dont think it's been asked, but I can convert the majority of them if there's enough demand. I would appreciate it if people told me who won and/or who to follow with the camera because there's no way in hell I'm going to personally try and follow the action for 300 games or so :)

Milabrega

I would love for someone to upload all of our tourney matches to youtube. Even in beta, I hate dl'n then play replays.

Nildog(vautrin) and I are set for our match tomorrow at 8pm east I believe, we agreed in game just now.

aznpxdd said:
Just youtube starting at the semi finals or something.

I thought we were going to try and arrange a stream for the semi's and finals. Even when I'm eliminated by then, I'd still love to watch it live, and not have to lag it up while Obs'ing

Milabrega said:
I would love for someone to upload all of our tourney matches to youtube. Even in beta, I hate dl'n then play replays.

Nildog(vautrin) and I are set for our match tomorrow at 8pm east I believe.

I thought we were going to try and arrange a stream for the semi's and finals. Even when I'm eliminated by then, I'd still love to watch it live, and not have to lag it up while Obs'ing

with the quality I can achieve with youtubing, honestly the stream would probably do more harm than good. IMHO however.

Milabrega said:

Nildog(vautrin) and I are set for our match tomorrow at 8pm east I believe, we agreed in game just now.

That would be really awesome. This is all just my master plan to lurk in the background and gauge how everyone is so I can destroy you all once retail is out!!!! :lol

If I build enough hype people will panic when they start to play me.

aznpxdd

Milabrega said:

Hah, anyone gonna be doing commentary for the stream?

Milabrega

aznpxdd said:

We still don't have set streamers though. You plus the streamer should hop on vent and do it though!

JWong said:
Are the brackets happening now? I should spec...

Coolio and Cheeto already happened, ZealousD and Trasher are set for later 11pm I believe. Vautrin and I are tomorrow at 8. Don't know about the rest.

Cheeto

aznpxdd said:
I'll do commentary with someone else... maybe my immense amount of self-deprecation will help someone learn something, if not myself :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MeshuggahMan said:
This may have been asked already.. but at some point in the tournament can us non beta people get youtube videos or something? Obviously not every single one.. but maybe the finals and such?
well having just tested it, my laptop can apparently run camtasia and starcraft at the same time on okayish settings.

there's a slight issue with flickering but i can probably work that out just by killing aero while recording or even the mic. :lol

so the question is...
if i can get this working perfectly and all,
do you want to listen to:
-nothing but sfx
-me
-my winamp playlist

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Taking a break for now, I'll be back on by 11 for some speccing. :p

I amaze myself sometimes. I just did awesome scouting on a toss I was playing against, picked up on a 3 gate rush, and then tried to counter in a way I know to be wrong. Sigh. I look at things, process them, and then do the opposite of what I should be doing sometimes, lol.

hobart

Looks like I'm out for a little while until I can figure out what's wrong with the Blizzard Downloader. Apparently I'm not alone, but, Downloader won't launch for me and there is no way I can get the patch unless it's mirrored (can't find a site that has it yet).

The problem has me a little concerned, however. I'm getting a similar error with LoL telling me the Servers are unavailable. Seems as if I picked up some sort of virus that is doing this to me....... I've tried resetting my Internet Options and turning my Firewall off so... it's none of these issues.

Just hoping the patch can get mirrored soon so that I can get it that way. Here's hoping.

Ashhong

man i just played a match where this protoss dude had mass photon cannons all in front of his base....but only one pylon powering each area :lol that was fun

Zzoram

6. MAP RULES. First round map will be Steppes of War. Second round map will be Lost Temple. Third round map, if required, will be Blistering Sands.

Question about this, does that mean every Bo3 (best of 3) for every stage of the bracket will play Steppes of War->Lost Temple and then Blistering Sands if it's 1-1?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
aznpxdd said:
Well, just that the term "cheese" has a negative connotation when used in any other game.

If you are able to get wins by taking risks and dt rushing, then respect!
That's cause you're in platinum all the time :lol

Us peons have different definitions of cheese.

ZealousD

Zzoram said:
Question about this, does that mean every Bo3 (best of 3) for every stage of the bracket will play Steppes of War->Lost Temple and then Blistering Sands if it's 1-1?

Yes.

ZealousD

Pandaman said:
do you want to listen to:
-nothing but sfx
-me
-my winamp playlist

Do a practice commentary. If we think you're interesting, do one.

christ, i knew i shouldnt have agreed to this :) the first match of coolio and cheeto is now in fraps' redonkulous format, 47.4 GB of files I now have to convert o_O

TurtleSnatcher said:
Windows Movie Maker is nice for that.

well i have a set plan i go through, it just takes up a lot of space. what were you suggesting movie maker for? converting to a diff format?

I usually go fraps-vdub-mediacoder-tada youtube format.

Top Bottom